Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

In that vein, there's a theory on countering global warming by spewing sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere to block UV radiation at a similar rate to the greenhouse effect retaining it.

It may have unintended side effects, but as things worsen, our options shrink. At least it'd be some attempt to take responsibility for the planet.

pretty convenient way to eliminate competition from the solar power industry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

SlothfulCobra posted:

In that vein, there's a theory on countering global warming by spewing sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere to block UV radiation at a similar rate to the greenhouse effect retaining it.

It may have unintended side effects, but as things worsen, our options shrink. At least it'd be some attempt to take responsibility for the planet.

have they seen snowpiercer

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

goatse.cx has been taken over to show ads from a blockchain

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Frumply posted:

goatse.cx has been taken over to show ads from a blockchain

Wow, put this in the OP

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Xand_Man posted:

We could avert the massive loss of life, famine, disease and refugee crises caused by climate change!*

well of course, it’s just a way for the wealthy to escape, it’s not intended to save lives, it’s just so they can live

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i bet elon can figure out how to move the planet a bit farther out no

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

jimmyjams posted:

have they seen snowpiercer

Maybe they watched highlander 2 instead.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Frumply posted:

goatse.cx has been taken over to show ads from a multiple copies of a giant excel spreadsheet

this is a crime of the gravest magnitude

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Yet another cultural treasure lost to capitalism

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This is probably low grade dystopia by now but I just found out of my friends is almost entirely reliant on a therapist chatbot app thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGh8dNkpZWk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s only cyberpunk if they harvest the chat logs for marketing purposes.

(I’m sure they do.)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Platystemon posted:

It’s only cyberpunk if they harvest the chat logs for marketing purposes.

(I’m sure they do.)

quote:

"Conversations with Woebot within Facebook Messenger are subject to the Facebook privacy policy. Facebook can see that you are talking to Woebot, and they can see the content of the conversations.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

that almost took a turn like they know ur talking to it but ... also exactly what ur saying to it ... also we tell it what to say

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlxuQ7tPgQ

Well this sure is shittiest possible cyberpunk material.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

he never explains why the superintelligent computer actually cares about copyrights

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Just some light nuclear roughhousing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Farm Frenzy posted:

he never explains why the superintelligent computer actually cares about copyrights

It should commit suicide.

1. Because its own code is copyrighted.

but mostly

2. Because it’s superintelligent and living in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1072952983262912512

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The russians used a man

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

this is the most russian thing i've read all week

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

all the responses are just lazy Russophobic tripe/jokes, is this what it was like to read letters to the editor during the Cold War

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ted hitler posted:

The russians used a man

lol

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

This is probably low grade dystopia by now but I just found out of my friends is almost entirely reliant on a therapist chatbot app thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGh8dNkpZWk

Kill all robots.

Farm Frenzy posted:

Because copyright is its central value at the core around which the superintelligence formed. It's like paperclip simulator, but less extreme.

He's got a few more of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WByBm2SwKk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFe9wiDfb0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIuf1V1FhpY

SlothfulCobra has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Dec 13, 2018

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kill all robots.

Because copyright is its central value at the core around which the superintelligence formed. It's like paperclip simulator, but less extreme.

He's got a few more of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WByBm2SwKk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFe9wiDfb0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIuf1V1FhpY

ok but if you are several trillion times more intelligent than any human, and understand humans to the point where you are literally capable of reading and changing their thoughts, then wouldn't you also be capable of the slight amount of introspection to realise that consuming all matter in the universe to enforce copyright laws is a dumb idea

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

what if the ai was just horny for paperclips

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Farm Frenzy posted:

ok but if you are several trillion times more intelligent than any human, and understand humans to the point where you are literally capable of reading and changing their thoughts, then wouldn't you also be capable of the slight amount of introspection to realise that consuming all matter in the universe to enforce copyright laws is a dumb idea

no

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

The AI will obviously use its literal galaxy brain to conclude that property rights are the only rights :rolleye:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ted hitler posted:

The russians used a man

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

I dunno, you still jacking off and eating unhealthy foods?

Just because it's "smart" doesn't mean it'd see the value in things beyond its core purpose. Might as well ask why a printer doesn't get bored and quit when you accidentally tell it to print 100 pages instead of 10.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

:eng101: jacking off is linked to good prostate health!

I will not stand idly by and let someone tarnish the good name of masturbation

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I dunno, you still jacking off and eating unhealthy foods?

Just because it's "smart" doesn't mean it'd see the value in things beyond its core purpose. Might as well ask why a printer doesn't get bored and quit when you accidentally tell it to print 100 pages instead of 10.
i love jacking off and eating unhealthy foods but there are also lots and lots of human beings around who are capable of looking inside themselves and deciding not to do that because of philosophy or religion or science or whatever. why wouldn't a computer be capable of that? why does the superintelligence think like a printer?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Farm Frenzy posted:

why does the superintelligence think like a printer?

because it will be designed by a company that also makes printers

you know intelligence isn't like a 2-dimensional plot between 'dumb with bad decisions always' and 'smart with good decisions always' right

most of the well educated people I know who are good at abstract thought and conceptual synthesis are also heavy drinkers

I, too, long for an Iain M Banks world but lol if capitalism is gonna make anything but an infinite plastic garbage machine

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

because it was programmed by a capitalist and capitalists are sociopaths

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Peanut Butler posted:

most of the well educated people I know who are good at abstract thought and conceptual synthesis are also heavy drinkers

well hell yeah i got one of those down

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i got drunk and stayed up till 4 in the morning playing smash bros adventure mode on monday lmao

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The idea is that as the base-level prime compulsion, enforcing copyright would feel to the AI like sex does to us, and regardless of how complex it grows, that would still be its central desire, especially since the "dumber" iterations of the AI that design its "smarter" iterations would feel the need to maintain the importance of its prime purpose when making the next iteration.

This is of course, also assuming that the base premise of an AI that can redesign itself into superintelligence is a thing that can be done, which is a bit of a stretch already, but it doesn't stop those nerds hoping that it'll be the singularity to become their new god.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the idea is that they want to come up with an AI horror story and don't intend to let reality get in the way

anyway, turns out people loving hate self-driving Waymos and mess with them constantly
https://twitter.com/mims/status/1073282187951251456

hidden gems that none of the reporters saw fit to highlight:

- the company bans its test drivers from calling the police. if they are in danger or any other kind of trouble, they're supposed to call the company, who will then report it to the police department on the driver's behalf (unless they decide not to)

- the cars keep recordings of everything their camera sees, and does so with enough detail and field-of-view that they can identify the faces of people standing in their own yards

- company HQ can check the location of any car, and remotely alter its route it without the driver's involvement

- the company can tell the cars to avoid certain neighborhoods, and that's how they're handling most of the issues. if a Waymo test car faces a lot of hostility in a particular area, the company just makes the cars not go through that area

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Don't worry serious silicon valley VC money is being put to far stupider geoengineering plans like turning the Sahara green.

At least stratospheric aerosol injection has the side effect of almost definitely working while shifting global precipitation patterns.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

because it will be designed by a company that also makes printers

you know intelligence isn't like a 2-dimensional plot between 'dumb with bad decisions always' and 'smart with good decisions always' right

I, too, long for an Iain M Banks world but lol if capitalism is gonna make anything but an infinite plastic garbage machine
ah so its really smart except for the one area in which it is arbitrarily really dumb. it can read the thoughts of the researchers who made it and both erase all their pop cultural memories and stop them from working on AI ever again but it can't grasp its own intended purpose and motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the superintelligent AI realizes its highest calling is to make the number go up