Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It might be undercooked. The best way to tell would be too taste the middle and see if it tastes like raw flour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I can't find my book right now, but since it's meant to be an 18th/early 19th century recipe, it's probably not leavened. An unleavened dough is always going to turn out very dense, which is probably why it looks uncooked.

Edit: By the way, there a Historical Cooking thread over in GWS. I'm sure they'd love to see this, and anything else you cook from Lobscouse and Spotted Dog.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 5, 2018

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
This seems sort of apropos:

https://vt.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_peuvt3NfiP1vee0nm.mp4

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 14, 2018

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Heh, that's pretty cool.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Came across this unique footage from 1938/39 of one of one the last great grain ships making the voyage from Europe to Australia by way of Africa. Just some absolutely fascinating scenes from daily life aboard a sailing vessel narrated by the photographer himself who doesn't shy away from lugging his camera 200 feet up the mizzenmast!

Fair warning: Footage includes them harpooning a porpoise and and butchering a pig.

https://youtu.be/96cRjLkIKlE

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Anyone know of a model kit of the HMS Surprise that is a reasonable price? Thinking it might make a decent Christmas gift for my dad.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Class Warcraft posted:

Anyone know of a model kit of the HMS Surprise that is a reasonable price? Thinking it might make a decent Christmas gift for my dad.

Spend a crazy amount of money on the HMS Surprise by DeAgostini models, then get your dad to join us in the Scale Modeling Thread and build model ships! There's a few of us in there, including myself, working on wooden ships of various types.

If you wanted to go a bit cheaper, you can get the same model from Artesania Latina for about half the price. The difference is it's just the kit with Artesanias decent, but basic, instructions. The kit from DeAgostini is the exact same kit, but they've expanded the instructions into 14 full-color, step-by-step instructional magazines with thousands of photos to guide you along. Although it's double the price, I would definitely go with the DeAgostini kit, as they lay everything out plainly and make it so someone with almost zero experience can construct a museum quality model. Do it man! The hell with money, this could be a centerpiece your dad would love.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Oof yeah, that's way out of my price range.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Spend a crazy amount of money on the HMS Surprise by DeAgostini models, then get your dad to join us in the Scale Modeling Thread and build model ships! There's a few of us in there, including myself, working on wooden ships of various types.

If you wanted to go a bit cheaper, you can get the same model from Artesania Latina for about half the price. The difference is it's just the kit with Artesanias decent, but basic, instructions. The kit from DeAgostini is the exact same kit, but they've expanded the instructions into 14 full-color, step-by-step instructional magazines with thousands of photos to guide you along. Although it's double the price, I would definitely go with the DeAgostini kit, as they lay everything out plainly and make it so someone with almost zero experience can construct a museum quality model. Do it man! The hell with money, this could be a centerpiece your dad would love.

drat you for posting this. That kit is so cool.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
We need a lego version; not my thing, just saying.

It would be really cool if you could just get the plans for the real vessel and scale them down yourself. Call up HMS records, then modify to get it to float in your bathtub.

Apparently they are in Gardiner - Robert Gardiner's Warships of the Napoleonic Era (Chatham Publishing, 1999).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

We need a lego version; not my thing, just saying.

It would be really cool if you could just get the plans for the real vessel and scale them down yourself. Call up HMS records, then modify to get it to float in your bathtub.

Apparently they are in Gardiner - Robert Gardiner's Warships of the Napoleonic Era (Chatham Publishing, 1999).

You certainly can, and people do.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

You certainly can, and people do.

That, and most high-end ship models already do employ the original ship plans. Simplified a bit, but otherwise the designers of the kit start with the original plans and make virtually identical facsimiles to include with the kit.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Started reading Clarissa Oakes on Sunday after a few months' break, and because I will forever associate it with beating to quarters and distant sails threatening to slip down under the horizon, I listened to that Boccherini quintet for the first few paragraphs while O'Brian caught me up on horrible Sydney and the horrible platypus and potential cases of importunate pricks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

potential cases of importunate pricks.

I can’t believe I just got this.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I made everlasting syllabub from the cookbook for Thanksgiving. It is basically fancy whipped cream. Good stuff.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've been reading The Surgeon's Mate. I love that Jack's daughters act like ladies in waiting whenever Sophie is in the room but curse like old salts whenever they're outside, thanks to Bonden and Killick's influence.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I'm re-reading The Mauritius Command, and I'm fairly sure I hate the unnamed French captains in this book as much as any named character. They're just such utter scrubs.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Jo Joestar posted:

I'm re-reading The Mauritius Command, and I'm fairly sure I hate the unnamed French captains in this book as much as any named character. They're just such utter scrubs.

Striking one's colours, and then raising them again and sailing off!? Shameful.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Well you see the French don't have tea time but they do have a flag washing hour.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have now finished The Wine-Dark Sea, and what a delightful installment. From Stephen cursing about slavers with rare but eloquent vehemence, to a goddamned seamount, Jack's great good fortune in hunting (his maiming aside, of course - those are starting to add up), to the Chilean mission collapsing thanks to that democratical scrub Du Turd, and Stephen's naturalizing is always a joy. And then in the last few pages there's the trip around Cape Horn, and USS Motherfucking Constitution, or one of her sisters, looming out of the mist, and Jack escaping her by piloting Surprise around an iceberg like Will Smith at the end of Independence Day. I had to put the book down a couple times to go into the kitchen and scream silently into my knuckles so I didn't have to explain to my wife why I was making such horrified faces at a book about English boat men.

And how wonderful that Jack's nickname for Heneage Dundas is "Old Hen".

(I think my favorite Swearing Stephen bit is still "Boiled poo poo.")

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Phy posted:

(I think my favorite Swearing Stephen bit is still "Boiled poo poo.")

Speaking of boiled poo poo, there's a bit that I've always appreciated - I forget in which book, but there's a reference to the fact that among the other bad starts to the morning, rats had gotten into the coffee and eaten it. Stephen and Jack had a breakfast including coffee made from some phrase like "the scrapings of the very bottom of the bags, which would have been called dubious if there was any doubt as to what they were." I have always interpreted that to mean that they were drinking coffee literally made of rat poo poo. Did anybody ever interpret that differently?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Nah, that's definitely it. Jack even says something like "I thought I recognized that tang."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, the joke is they are so addicted to their coffee they drink rat poo poo from a coffee bag despite knowing exactly what they are doing.

Killick still knows how to make a good brew though.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Lockback posted:

Yeah, the joke is they are so addicted to their coffee they drink rat poo poo from a coffee bag despite knowing exactly what they are doing.

Killick still knows how to make a good brew though.

How much coca residue would be left in rat poo poo anyway?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've been reading The Surgeon's Mate. I love that Jack's daughters act like ladies in waiting whenever Sophie is in the room but curse like old salts whenever they're outside, thanks to Bonden and Killick's influence.

Yeah same, it's the best.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

yaffle posted:

How much coca residue would be left in rat poo poo anyway?

They were just ahead of their time. It’s like the civet cat beans.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So.. did Stephen have the Duke of Habachtal killed?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

Since Stephen wasn't even in the country at the time, I think it's implied that either Sir Joseph Blaine or one of the deceased's criminal associates did it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nuclear War posted:

How could a simple botanist and ship’s physician do such a thing?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, he would never do something like have someone killed and then dissect their body for shits and gigs.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, he would never do something like have someone killed and then dissect their body for shits and gigs.

That dude just happened to have died in far off lands after betraying his country. :shrug:

E: the other was French, so who knows

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce
Every year or so I remember that this thread exists. Two things I can add:

One, my amusement at the end of the umpteenth reading Fortune of War at how Aubrey actually mentions Stephen's intense hunger in order to be fed himself as soon as possible (he does this more than once in the series), and not long thereafter, Stephen calls for coffee to be made three or four times as strong as it is currently made ("a thin, thin brew") as a "tonic draught" for the seasick Diana, when in reality he just wants a good cup of coffee for Jack and himself

And one thing that has always added to my appreciation of the series is my brief time on a tall ship as a child. When I was graduating from grade seven into high school, my class got to vote on various celebratory trips and we chose this one

We spent a week sailing it around the Gulf Islands and learning some of the lubbers' basics of navigation (they had sextants on board) hoisting the occasional rope, hoisting anchors, learning knots, lowering and hoisting boats, and even cooking and steerage (under the bosun's watchful eye). My favourite thing to do was climb the rigging, and since it was 1987, as long as we had a line around our waists and it wasn't one's watch, we could climb whenever we wanted and required no supervision. The circle of sea viewed from a mast revolving in 360 degrees, and whooping to my best friend, is something I'll never forget.

Sadly, the ship was sold into private hands, although the program still exists (they sail out of Victoria, B.C.). The experience really adds depth and richness to the seascapes and vision described so often within the series, as well as simply how far one can see from the masts (it's really obvious why Aubrey spends so much time up there - the clarity and vastness is almost undescribable - unless you're O'Brian). While I've never seen a fleet of merchant masts poking out of an inversion at the mouth of the Thames at daybreak, I have seen the sun set from the mast head in a completely clear sky, and it's incredible. If you ever get the chance, spend some time on an actual ship.

Heliogabalos fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 12, 2019

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Heliogabalos posted:

We spent a week sailing it around the Gulf Islands and learning some of the lubbers' basics of navigation (they had sextants on board) hoisting the occasional rope, hoisting anchors, learning knots, lowering and hoisting boats, and even cooking and steerage (under the bosun's watchful eye). My favourite thing to do was climb the rigging, and since it was 1987, as long as we had a line around our waists and it wasn't one's watch, we could climb whenever we wanted and required no supervision. The circle of sea viewed from a mast revolving in 360 degrees, and whooping to my best friend, is something I'll never forget.
That sounds amazing. Even just standing on the deck of a permanently dry-docked frigate gave me a whole new appreciation for the novels.

This may be somewhat off-topic, but to me Jack Aubrey's capacity for mirth and his raucous delight in wit "even at infinitesimal doses" is one of his most endearing qualities, and I've never seen it so strongly channeled by anyone in real life before! https://twitter.com/peachyelio/status/1100049124982960128

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
How did Martin die?

Edit: And what finally happened to Davidge and West?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Nuclear War posted:

How did Martin die?

Edit: And what finally happened to Davidge and West?

He doesn't die. He thinks he contracted VD from Clarissa Oakes and tried to "cure" himself with mercury nearly killing himself. Aubrey sends him off to live on his lands. He might have given him a parsonage, or maybe he was going to and then changed his mind.

Davidge: Killed in action, which was disappointing because I thought his story wasn't quite done, but ah well.

West: Dies when the Volcano erupts, which is a pretty metal way to die

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Martin's death is only in spirit, as he starts to bore and annoy Stephen, and Stephen starts to hate the living poo poo out of him. Martin fucks himself up so badly over Clarissa that Stephen has the pretext to just boot him out of the ship and his life completely.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Sax Solo posted:

Martin's death is only in spirit, as he starts to bore and annoy Stephen, and Stephen starts to hate the living poo poo out of him. Martin fucks himself up so badly over Clarissa that Stephen has the pretext to just boot him out of the ship and his life completely.

Oh right, I guess I remember now. I was sure I'd seen a reference to his death and I was confused

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Lockback posted:

He doesn't die. He thinks he contracted VD from Clarissa Oakes and tried to "cure" himself with mercury nearly killing himself. Aubrey sends him off to live on his lands. He might have given him a parsonage, or maybe he was going to and then changed his mind.

Didn't he just have lustful thoughts and flirted a little bit and thought that was enough for god to punish him with a VD?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sax Solo posted:

I think this is a rather harsh interpretation! Martin does alienate Stephen while going through that whole bit of turmoil over Clarissa Oakes (and long confinement at sea, in company which is mostly uninteresting to him) but there remains what Stephen refers to as a 'strong latent affection' between them. Stephen arranges for him to be transported home from South America in a more sedate vessel, and its brushed over that he has left the sea afterwards. I got the impression this was a reconciliation between the two of them, even if it was also a separation. Apart from the characters' own motivations, it seems likely that the author had sort of bottomed out that character. Later in the series, Joseph plays a very similar role as Maturin's confidant and fellow lubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Didn't he just have lustful thoughts and flirted a little bit and thought that was enough for god to punish him with a VD?

He did at first and that's why he was uncomfortable but then something happened and its almost certainly that he slept with her since she had no qualms about sex. I guess it's left up somewhat to the reader but I don't think he'd try to kill himself over thoughts.