Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

how expensive would Stephen Merchant be to come on with some regularity? Given that his department is the one where the rules are made, i.e. how many points a given action costs, I'd expect the Accountants to feature more prominently going forward, but actor availability and $ would probably make that difficult-ish?

I expect with him, availability would be as much/more of a concern than money- he's still writing, does a lot of his own projects, so it may just come down to when they can get him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

double nine posted:

how expensive would Stephen Merchant be to come on with some regularity? Given that his department is the one where the rules are made, i.e. how many points a given action costs, I'd expect the Accountants to feature more prominently going forward, but actor availability and $ would probably make that difficult-ish?

Probably far cheaper than Ted Danson, and I'm sure he'd be quite willing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My soul to the bad place for Amy Poehler as the head Good Place bureaucrat.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Taear posted:

So then how do they say it's been 512 years since someone went to the afterlife?

It's been 512 years Earth-time since the last person got in.

This isn't that hard. They can still see Earth, you guys. No matter where in the Jeremy Bearimy they are.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Phenotype posted:

It's been 512 years Earth-time since the last person got in.

This isn't that hard. They can still see Earth, you guys. No matter where in the Jeremy Bearimy they are.

So time still progresses somehow on Earth and it's still 2018 even though 300 years have passed.
Which I'm down with, I just think that them trying to explain it has sorta made it worse than if they'd just left it hanging.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Space and time is distorted in Lordran the afterlife

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Space and time is distorted in Lordran the afterlife

Then how can they say for sure that it's been 512 years since someone went to the good place?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Taear posted:

Then how can they say for sure that it's been 512 years since someone went to the good place?

512 Earth Years. 1.5 Trillion Bearamy years, or about 12 Bearamy seconds.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
obviously Current Official Earth Time is 2018, but they can jeremy bearimy around to whenever the went. There's an infinite intersection between linear earth time and jeremy bearimy afterlife time.

lol kinda reminded of world lines

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 13, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Jeremys and Bearimies, kid. That's where they get you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Taear posted:

So time still progresses somehow on Earth and it's still 2018 even though 300 years have passed.
Which I'm down with, I just think that them trying to explain it has sorta made it worse than if they'd just left it hanging.

I'm actually curious. What did you think the point of the Jeremy Bearimy scene/concept was? Because you obviously got something different out of it than the majority of viewers.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's just a show, you should really just relax.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't think about it too hard
Too, too hard
Don't think about it too hard
Too, too hard
It's a wormhole, it's a Mobius strip
It's snake eats tail, it's the infinity sign

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Taear posted:

I don't know how else to explain this. The afterlife is in Jeremy Bearimy time. Earth time progresses like it always does. There isn't any relation worth talking about. Earth time goes straight. Jeremy Bearimy squiggles in on itself and loops around so that they can spend 300 years running different Bad Place scenarios and looping around Jeremy Bearimy, and still pop out in 2018 if they want to. They can tell no one's been admitted to the Good Place in 500 years because they can look at Earth and see that it's 2018 there, and the last guy who went to the Good Place died in 1500 or whatever.

I know I can't explain this as well as Ted Danson in professor mode, so maybe just watch that scene again. Or maybe it'll just break you.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
If only they had just mentioned what year it was when the last person made it into the good place rather than how many years ago it was, this whole conversation wouldn't have had to happen.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If modern science could develop a pill to treat whatever the gently caress is wrong with nerds, this also wouldn't happen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Get a tattoo of the infinity sign

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't get why people are trying to figure out the logic of how time flows there when the entire point of their explanation was that it shouldn't make sense to us.

It's like asking what the current time is in the Good Place series on anyones individual screen right now. It could be before any of them died, it could be the last episode, it could be the last episode and then straight after a clip of the 121st reboot depending on what someone plays.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So I don't mean to poo poo on this show (which I do enjoy), but it seems like every single time they approach an interesting concept it's sort of hand-waved away or solved quickly and easily.

For example; the points system being inherently flawed and bad is an interesting concept that makes the world of the show and potentially it's God figure much darker, more sinister and depressing. Maybe the bureaucratic nature of the Afterlife necessitates the guidelines becoming stricter over time to the point where a system designed to be fair becomes untenable and unfair? Maybe putting sentient creatures in charge of the fates of others in the first place is a an idea doomed to failure?

Oh, no, the Bad Guys just made the Numbers Wrong.

Giving the show the benefit of the doubt here, but it's kind of walked-back interesting ideas before. Eleanor, Chidi and the rest of the cast more-or-less always become the same group of characters with the same relationships with one another no matter how many times their minds are reset or how different their experiences are. The argument the previous episode they just sort of stopped arguing about Determinism and reached a "happy" conclusion arbitrarily rather than have Eleanor accept and change understanding that fate is out of her control. Even this episode it would have been cooler to see Eleanor/Chidi accept that the people who fell in love weren't them, but knowing that they have the potential to influences them to in the future and hey - that could lead Eleanor to wonder about determinism again!

Or they just kiss and love each other.

I know it's a comedy and they only have 20 minutes to work with, but so many times this show with a cool premise and a lot of ideas takes the easy way out. We're already however maybe alternate timelines in, with the rules of the universe being established and re-written = I don't mind if things get messier or confusing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Oh, no, the Bad Guys just made the Numbers Wrong.

This was just Michael's wild guess after hearing that no one had made it into the Good Place in hundreds of years. I think most people are expecting there to be more to it than that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I don't know how you could possibly come away from that last episode thinking Michael was right about simple Bad Place interference being responsible for all this. The whole point of the episode was to show that something is deeply, fundamentally wrong.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I'm actually curious. What did you think the point of the Jeremy Bearimy scene/concept was? Because you obviously got something different out of it than the majority of viewers.

That arrival-style all time is happening at once, sort of, and you could die in 2095 and be in the afterlife before someone who died in 1950.
But then this episode torpedoed that.

Jingleheimer posted:

If only they had just mentioned what year it was when the last person made it into the good place rather than how many years ago it was, this whole conversation wouldn't have had to happen.

Yep that would have been absolutely fine.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 13, 2018

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Taear posted:

That arrival-style all time is happening at once, sort of, and you could die in 2095 and be in the afterlife before someone who died in 1950.
But then this episode torpedoed that.

Yep that would have been absolutely fine.

woosh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I don't know how you could possibly come away from that last episode thinking Michael was right about simple Bad Place interference being responsible for all this. The whole point of the episode was to show that something is deeply, fundamentally wrong.

there's a bunch of ways it could go: the good place is actually horrible so the people there changed the numbers so everyone would be spared, the good place is amazing but they don't want any new people because being there made them selfish jerks, a wizard did it, etc.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

qirex posted:

there's a bunch of ways it could go: the good place is actually horrible so the people there changed the numbers so everyone would be spared, the good place is amazing but they don't want any new people because being there made them selfish jerks, a wizard did it, etc.

it would be kinda cool if the good place involved some kind of moral decay, with all judgment finished and no consequences for any actions

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is this the first time we learn that you need a large number of points to get into the Good Place? I just assumed it had to be positive, with better rewards the higher you got, and Mindy Saint Claire being the only person ever to get exactly zero.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

Is this the first time we learn that you need a large number of points to get into the Good Place? I just assumed it had to be positive, with better rewards the higher you got, and Mindy Saint Claire being the only person ever to get exactly zero.

It is, and I assumed exactly the same thing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

Is this the first time we learn that you need a large number of points to get into the good place? I just assumed it had to be positive, with better rewards the higher you got, and Mindy Saint Claire being the only person ever to get exactly zero.

In the first few episodes they imply it's the elite of the elite, but of course that's Bad Place lying to appeal to Tahani's arrogance, Chidi's obliviousness and mess with Eleanor and Jason. We don't actually know what the criteria are since we spent so much time in the Bad Place and our major source is Michael who doesn't seem to fully know either. So it turns out that if anything the Bad Place propaganda was being generous if anything, since nobody has gotten in.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

No it was always implied to be large numbers considering Michael's made up scores for the residents of his good place, and there was never any indication of a gradient of rewards. As for Mindy your interpretation explicitly runs counter to what we were told about her as the entire issue wasn't how many points she had but rather whether or not she got credit for the points she would have earned from her charity if she hadn't died before finishing it.

Based on what we learned lately I think the reason that Mindy was close to getting in but not anyone else who has done great things in their life was that she did her great thing worth an absurd number of points right around the time she died. It seems that just by continuing to live you have such a net drop in points that it ultimately grinds down whatever boost you may have gotten by some incredibly good deed.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 13, 2018

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Do dogs go to the Good Place, I wonder? Maybe maybe only dogs qualify and The Good Place is full of mostly dogs. Maybe Eleanor sees her dog that her Mom killed.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Oh look, there's lots of new posts in the Good Place thread, let's see what it is...

Nope, just 40 posts arguing about the exact objective implications of a plot device that's literally the timeline equivalent of "a wizard did it"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

enki42 posted:

Oh look, there's lots of new posts in the Good Place thread, let's see what it is...

Nope, just 40 posts arguing about the exact objective implications of a plot device that's literally the timeline equivalent of "a wizard did it"

Oh no people discussing a programme, that's terrible!

The Good Place likes to explain stuff, I don't see why it's unreasonable to want an explanation for things.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The time stuff isn't trying to make sense. Jeremy Bearimy means "time works however we the writers need it to". When characters in the afterlife speak in the frame of reference of present-day Earth (521 years, still waiting for Joe Francis to die, etc), that's Jeremy Bearimy. When Michael goes through the door to undo events that have already happened, that's Jeremy Bearimy. It cannot be disentangled because it's deliberately bullshit and not actually important.

If a character says "521 years ago" in reference to Earth, they mean 521 Earth years. If a character talks about the centuries the main characters spent getting reset in the afterlife, they mean afterlife centuries. Infer from context, recognize that everything is comedy nonsense magic, and accept that most of the throwaway lines about the nature of the afterlife and its denizens and their perception of space/time/morality are meant to be momentary gags rather than enticing dangling plot threads.

Guy A. Person posted:

In the first few episodes they imply it's the elite of the elite, but of course that's Bad Place lying to appeal to Tahani's arrogance, Chidi's obliviousness and mess with Eleanor and Jason. We don't actually know what the criteria are since we spent so much time in the Bad Place and our major source is Michael who doesn't seem to fully know either. So it turns out that if anything the Bad Place propaganda was being generous if anything, since nobody has gotten in.

Yeah, this episode makes it apparent that Michael had to cobble together a lot of guesswork for his fake Good Place. All the demons there were playing up a parody of the sort of saint-like goody-two-shoes types they figured make the cut. The fact that it's even more restrictive than that, and no modern-day person can ever get in, is something only higher-ups like Shawn were aware of.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 13, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If Michael's thesis is that people can improve in the bad place the other shoe is probably running into the good place person who's thesis is that being in the good place can make someone worse.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Taear posted:

Oh no people discussing a programme, that's terrible!

The Good Place likes to explain stuff, I don't see why it's unreasonable to want an explanation for things.

It just seems like people are getting bogged down in details that don't matter in the slightest bit, and don't add to the humor or charm of the show.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's like the TV/IV mission statement, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FELD1 posted:

It just seems like people are getting bogged down in details that don't matter in the slightest bit, and don't add to the humor or charm of the show.

The last time someone got into the good place is a massive deal and the main plot point though.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Taear posted:

The last time someone got into the good place is a massive deal and the main plot point though.

For sure, but it's painfully obvious that the writers meant Earth years, because in any other context it's a completely meaningless statement with no dramatic effect whatsoever. "It's been 521 arbitrary units that are unfathomable and not linear anyway" isn't a great mid-series cliffhanger.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Grognan posted:

If Michael's thesis is that people can improve in the bad place the other shoe is probably running into the good place person who's thesis is that being in the good place can make someone worse.

They sort of alluded to this in the Trolley Problem, right? Michael had no sense of morality because there were no consequences to his actions - maybe the same is true for everyone who's in the Good Place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CPColin posted:

That's like the TV/IV mission statement, though.

I acquit!