Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rigel posted:

The rebellion against Pelosi has collapsed, she is going to be speaker. However, in order to get the votes she had to give up a lot. Pelosi agreed that she will retire after the 2022 election, so she will not serve more than 4 more years as speaker.

Or at least until large numbers of the rebellion get primaried out, which is legit possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ZobarStyl posted:

Has there ever been so perfect an avatar of the inherent wrongness of white supremacy than Stephen Miller? I marvel constantly at how a person who is the physical embodiment of genetic frailty could come to the conclusion they were a superior human. Some fuckin' master race there, I tells ya.

In other ubermensch news, Trump has spooked the gently caress outta the GOP by getting schooled on live TV:

Lol imagine having to pretend Trump isn't the world's dumbest moron

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Young Freud posted:

Or at least until large numbers of the rebellion get primaried out, which is legit possible.

and indeed, something this thread would support :v:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Apologies if this was mentioned but 11 GOP defected on this

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1073030190610219008

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Apologies if this was mentioned but 11 GOP defected on this

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1073030190610219008

well, poo poo, thats good.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Have we been seeing more GOP poo poo not going Trumps way recently or am I just noticing it more? Seems we had had a flurry of articles recently about defections and the like.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
The term limits deal sounds good on the face of it, but it was a compromise with people who were coming at her from the conservative wing of the party, so it must have bad poo poo in it, right?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

and indeed, something this thread would support :v:

Damned right!!

https://twitter.com/SamuelLJackson/status/1072674854061641728?s=19

I'd seriously pay just to hear Jackson freeform dump on Trump.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Have we been seeing more GOP poo poo not going Trumps way recently or am I just noticing it more? Seems we had had a flurry of articles recently about defections and the like.

a bit more then usual. chuck hagel talked about it on NPR saying alot of the GOP types are getting sick of trumps bullshit and awful plans but time will tell if they actually do poo poo.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1072977821969080326?s=19

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
There was a new Citations Needed posted today. They were talking about "Copaganda," basically the propaganda poo poo that news outlets and police get into all the time. As always, it's great stuff, check it out:

https://twitter.com/CitationsPod/status/1072886822345326592
Transcript here

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

a bit more then usual. chuck hagel talked about it on NPR saying alot of the GOP types are getting sick of trumps bullshit and awful plans but time will tell if they actually do poo poo.

Also, elections matter. They'd never publicly break ranks on the "No Blue Wave!" narrative, but in private plenty of GOP legislators are smart enough to read graphs and realize that slavishly advancing Trump's agenda is maaaaabye not their best path to reelection.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Really? Because this doesn't surprise me one bit. The goal of Stephen Miller's(and by extension Trump's) immigration policy is to create a white ethnostate.

Mark my words, they will eventually try to strip the citizenship of, and deport, all naturalized non-white citizens before Trump's term is done.

Bonus Prediction: Trump will try to declare war on Mexico too.

So is this where we forget that the judicial system exists and will shoot down any executive orders that does this? And now that Dems control the House literally no legislation will pass that would do it either. Can we wait to see how quickly this Vietnamese refugee change is challenged in court and probably held up for who the hell knows how long before totally freaking out?

Trumps been in office for 2 years and while he’s conducted various atrocities, most notably to undocumented immigrants at the border, he’s been stymied in just about everything else due to institutional strength and his own ridiculous incompetence. And that was when he and his
party controlled all branches of government and could theoretically do just about anything. Now his position has never been weaker and he has to deal with an actual check on him in Congress.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is this where we forget that the judicial system exists and will shoot down any executive orders that does this? And now that Dems control the House literally no legislation will pass that would do it either. Can we wait to see how quickly this Vietnamese refugee change is challenged in court and probably held up for who the hell knows how long before totally freaking out?

Trumps been in office for 2 years and while he’s conducted various atrocities, most notably to undocumented immigrants at the border, he’s been stymied in just about everything else due to institutional strength and his own ridiculous incompetence. And that was when he and his
party controlled all branches of government and could theoretically do just about anything. Now his position has never been weaker and he has to deal with an actual check on him in Congress.

You're probably right, but goddamn does Miller's [edit]deserve things that shouldn't be posted here[/edit].

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 13, 2018

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Flip alert :lol:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RawStory/status/1072974424679374848

quote:

Citing “frustrations that have been ongoing for nine years,” Bollier said Wednesday that the inclusion of anti-transgender language in the party platform  had proved a breaking point for her.

“Morally, the party is not going where my compass resides,” Bollier said. “I’m looking forward to being in a party that represents the ideals that I do, including Medicaid expansion and funding our K-12 schools.”

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He did say try, and I wouldn't expect a weaker position to curb Trump's vociferousness in the slightest.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Voyager I posted:

You're probably right, but goddamn does Miller's head need to be a lawn ornament.

Oh I absolutely share in the general sentiments about Miller that if properly articulated in writing will result in a probation so that Lowtax doesn’t get subpoenaed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1073030706219995136

lmfao do it you dumb gently caress

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

sexpig by night posted:

Lol the dems who voted with republicans on Yemen are in incredibly safe seats, they can't even hide behind dumbshit 'blue no matter who' whining

https://twitter.com/peg_mclaugh/status/1072943151671848960

also 'Dutch Rupperberger' is a loving fake name that guy isn't real show yourself coward

Jumping back, I grew up in Collin Peterson's district. Love how you say R+12 is an "incredibly safe" Dem district. Other 4 maybe, but I can tell you that Peterson is a Dem crushing it in mega-Maga territory. When he retires that district goes R almost guarantee it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Keyword is "try", not "succeed". Yes, obviously they will be stymied by the courts, not to mention the herculean task of deporting the vast majority of America's immigrant population. But it will shift the nation conversation from "illegal immigrants" to just "immigrants" to just "non-whites" like the fascists want.

Besides, ICE has deported, or has attempted to deport, citizens before.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Wololo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, elections matter. They'd never publicly break ranks on the "No Blue Wave!" narrative, but in private plenty of GOP legislators are smart enough to read graphs and realize that slavishly advancing Trump's agenda is maaaaabye not their best path to reelection.

i think alot of them sorta realize they are in a position much like the tories where they lose or lose in different ways. if they keep up the bad poo poo with trump, they will probably get hurt in 2020, if they break and stab trump in the back when it comes time, they lose the vocal dickhead base. we loving swept the house hard.

i can believe this. newt will let trump do whatever while he pretends to be kingmaker.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

this, once this shitshow breaks on the news and they make a big push for it, it will die in the courts.

i feel like poo poo like this is gonna start happening more and more. partially because trump is poo poo and partially because most people know at least one LGBT person personaly, the GOP bigotry against them has a harder time flying now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

B b b b backtrack

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nevada/status/1073011219080966145

quote:

“Recent comments I made at a town hall regarding vaccines have been misconstrued,” the representative-elect said. “I want to reiterate my wife and I vaccinated our children, and we believe, and advise others they should have their children vaccinated.”

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
The Trump White House is like the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade except Indy never shows up so they just keep sending in more and more dumb Nazi fucks whose heads come rolling out. You just know that if Trump somehow made it through he'd pick the gaudiest goddamn cup imaginable.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Man that is more like a u-turn than a backtrack.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I could totally see this. Newt never met a scam he didn't like. Dude even gives Trump a run for his money in the grift department.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Looking for a babysitter in DC area, impeachment experience a plus

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like poo poo like this is gonna start happening more and more. partially because trump is poo poo and partially because most people know at least one LGBT person personaly, the GOP bigotry against them has a harder time flying now.

Yeah, I feel like this is one thing being neglected in 2020 Senate talks; if the Dems take the Presidency, the House, and are, say, 1 seat off, I think there's a solid chance that someone like Murkowski either flips or frequently votes with them.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I didn’t really know who Newt was other than some republican until I watched that 90s documentary. He’s the one who turned the republican strategy into “make sure the den president has a bad term so they can win again.” At least from what I can tell

holysherm
Feb 14, 2016
Ask me about my undying love for Derek Jeter.

quote:

this, once this shitshow breaks on the news and they make a big push for it, it will die in the courts.

at some point all your misplaced faith in the courts is going to backfire. They've replaced dozens and dozens of judges with partisans who really don't give a rip what the law has to say on the matter and they will be the ones to decide on this stuff. All these appointments McConnell is making is going to have an impact and it will be on questions as small as whether or not we can deport a few thousand people because they're different.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Man I hosed up. I donated blood a few years ago and Red Cross wouldn’t stop calling me every every week asking me to donate so I told them I hosed a dude and welllllll, they stopped calling but won’t let me donate ever again I guess. They rejected me the next time they were in my student union.

Oh well gently caress them I’ll just give like $20 to givewell on Friday.

They loosened the federal guidelines a while back so that's no longer a lifetime deferment. Now they just ask if you've had sex with another man in the last 12 months. So you should be fine if you fit that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yeah, I feel like this is one thing being neglected in 2020 Senate talks; if the Dems take the Presidency, the House, and are, say, 1 seat off, I think there's a solid chance that someone like Murkowski either flips or frequently votes with them.

probably, i think they might start defecting sooner. by mid next year at least, especially if trump starts going full mad king.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Cru Jones posted:

Jumping back, I grew up in Collin Peterson's district. Love how you say R+12 is an "incredibly safe" Dem district. Other 4 maybe, but I can tell you that Peterson is a Dem crushing it in mega-Maga territory. When he retires that district goes R almost guarantee it.

I looked up Peterson, he's absolutely a Republican in Democratic clothing. Edit: And he's gonna be a committee chairman next month.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 13, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I didn’t really know who Newt was other than some republican until I watched that 90s documentary. He’s the one who turned the republican strategy into “make sure the den president has a bad term so they can win again.” At least from what I can tell

Genrich was a pioneer in the GOP's strategy of naked opportunism. Like, for all the flak politicians rightly received for being self-serving scum, most have at least one or two scruples. But not Newt. His one and only guiding principle is to win, win, win at any cost.

Here's an article on the topic that I don't fully agree with, but which walks you through a lot of the major highlights of just how poisonous the man's been to our democracy.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yyyyyyyeah...if he's looking for someone who won't steal headlines, this is probably not the tree he wants to be barking up.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Oh boy, I can’t wait for two former reps for the GA 6th get to resign from the Trump administration in shame. We’ll be setting a record here!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Yyyyyyyeah...if he's looking for someone who won't steal headlines, this is probably not the tree he wants to be barking up.

sure but he needs someone at this point and newt is enough of sociopath to not care what he does.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but he needs someone at this point and newt is enough of sociopath to not care what he does.

Newt Gingrich is interested in whatever can keep the Newt Gingrich grift going.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“Misconstrued”? Let’s hear the quote

Let’s hear how this was someone else’s fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am sure Newt and Donny can exchange tons of stories about sleeping with their mistresses while there wives were suffering (unless I am wrong, wasn't Newt screwing around while his wife had cancer?)