Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was a hundred tiny catapults on a crank, the technology is well-attested. As is IPoAC, which you can unlock by researching the Internet without Computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also where the gently caress is Byzantium you fuckers.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mameluke posted:

It was a hundred tiny catapults on a crank, the technology is well-attested. As is IPoAC, which you can unlock by researching the Internet without Computers.

Don't forget being able to research Architecture before Masonry or even Mining.

I like to think the Taj Mahal in that timeline was made out of thatch and logwood.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Byzantine posted:

Also where the gently caress is Byzantium you fuckers.

Username and post and check out. Has the Byzantine empire ever been in Civilization?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

chaosapiant posted:

Username and post and check out. Has the Byzantine empire ever been in Civilization?

Civ III, IV, and V, all in expansions (Conquests, BTS, and G&K respectively)

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 13, 2018

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Rome's already in.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Rome's already in.

Russia too

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Greece as well, 3 flavors even.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Canuck-Errant posted:

I mean, the NWMP participated in the Boer War, and RNWMP and RCMP units participated in WW1 and WW2 respectively...

They also pretty much were used to subdue and surveil the plains natives tribes, which will be super duper if you start off next to the Cree. A real donnybrook, boys.

The stereotypes kind of really suck here, and I wish we had the levels of tourism IRL that the designers think we do.

Laurier is an absolute solid choice, though. Trudeau I would have been as well, if they wanted to piss off the francophones.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

SaviourX posted:

The stereotypes kind of really suck here, and I wish we had the levels of tourism IRL that the designers think we do.

I take my whole family to visit your world renowned hockey rinks at least once every two years. I'm especially impressed by how industrious and fertile they are when compared to the unproductive and barren rinks we have in the states.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

At the Gates is coming out next month. Guess it's not dead.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/241000/Jon_Shafers_At_the_Gates/

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Human Crouton posted:

That's really unexpected!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

SaviourX posted:

They also pretty much were used to subdue and surveil the plains natives tribes, which will be super duper if you start off next to the Cree. A real donnybrook, boys.

You don't have to tell me, I was a 'historic interpreter' at Fort Battleford :ssh:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Is there any way to stop a declaration of peace? I had an AI declare war on me, so a nearby city state of theirs also declared war on me. I built my army up to go conquer the city state, then just as I was about to deal the killing blow... peace, outta nowhere! It looks like the AI removed the Diplomat governor from the city state, meaning they weren't the Suzerain any more, and peace was automatically declared. And I can't declare war on the city state for another 10 turns! This is such bullshiiiiit!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Don't forget being able to research Architecture before Masonry or even Mining.

I like to think the Taj Mahal in that timeline was made out of thatch and logwood.

Or rocketry without combustion. Jules Verne on line one, please.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

quote:

Seasons and weather dramatically transform the landscape around you. The river that once served as a barrier in the summer might become a highway in the winter - for both you and your enemies!
Mongol Invasion's confirmed.

Also I'm actually looking forward to this game. With the smaller scale, a single-unit per tile may work, assuming troop movement vs map size is a good ratio. Though it will depend a lot on what the consequences of winning or losing a battle are.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rock bands are stupid. Great musician concerts were cool in V because each great artist type had a unique function to expend them in ways where they didn't create art.

But I dont want to actually micromanage a band unit complete with promotions. It feels like out-of-place bloat.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
I missed today’s stream but lol

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Prog Rock: AI gains 1 level of competency at playing Civ VI

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

https://gfycat.com/EducatedBeneficialGuineapig

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rock bands are stupid. Great musician concerts were cool in V because each great artist type had a unique function to expend them in ways where they didn't create art.

But I dont want to actually micromanage a band unit complete with promotions. It feels like out-of-place bloat.

Reminds me of Call to Power, which had lawyers, televangelists, and corporate branches as powerful offensive units.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/EdBeach23/status/1073325080531353601

Goddamn, look at that flooding

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Canuck-Errant posted:

You don't have to tell me, I was a 'historic interpreter' at Fort Battleford :ssh:

Nice. Which 'side'? Did you get to do fake treaties on Treaty Day?

quote:

I take my whole family to visit your world renowned hockey rinks at least once every two years. I'm especially impressed by how industrious and fertile they are when compared to the unproductive and barren rinks we have in the states.

Blessed post. You have more desert tiles in the states though, which doesn't contribute much to the business (I choose not to acknowledge Phoenix).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Indie: Performing a concert causes that city to lose 50 Loyalty."

This is dumb as hell, but dog if I'm not gonna invade France with the power of Phoenecian indie glam rock and swipe the city of lights.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SaviourX posted:

Nice. Which 'side'? Did you get to do fake treaties on Treaty Day?

Well, given that I'm not FN they stuck me in an NWMP costume, but we did give out the ceremonial 5 dollars on Treaty Day in standard Parks Canada uniforms

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Reminds me of Call to Power, which had lawyers, televangelists, and corporate branches as powerful offensive units.

Yeah, one of many really creative things in Call to Power. They were worse than religious warfare in Civ VI, though.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, given that I'm not FN they stuck me in an NWMP costume, but we did give out the ceremonial 5 dollars on Treaty Day in standard Parks Canada uniforms

:hmmyes: Our tax dollars at work.

Maybe someone will mod in a bonus for mounties vs FNs? And then of course a cultural boost for FNs in the Information era.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
what I'd like to see is a mod that lets you culturally subjugate another nation into your own, you know, like Newfoundland

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Looks like Inca tomorrow :neckbeard:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They better have something good planned for my boy Pachacuti, who was the first to bring Unique Tile Improvements to the table.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

South American civs are never enough

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I drink from their skull
Pull out their teeth whole
Turn teeth into charms
Make flutes out of their arms

:dance:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
You know I actually was born in a place that was conquered by Pachacutec but what the hell I salute our new Incan overlords. As is tradition with all civ games, all Peruvians will play the Incas, found a religion and invade/destroy Spain.

EDIT: YEAHHHHHH BOI TIME TO FARM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exGFiectofk

turboraton fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 18, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

turboraton posted:

You know I actually was born in a place that was conquered by Pachacutec but what the hell I salute our new Incan overlords. As is tradition with all civ games, all Peruvians will play the Incas, found a religion and invade/destroy Spain.

EDIT: YEAHHHHHH BOI TIME TO FARM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exGFiectofk

This looks really cool, perhaps I will play Civ6 again with the Gathering Storm.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still don’t know if I like natural disasters in a CIV game but everything else in this expansion looks awesome and actually takes the game in a different direction to prior releases.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Plagues, volcanoes, and earthquakes have played major roles in the downfalls of many empires. Really, they just need to make sure they happen almost entirely to the AI in single-player games, and it will be great.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Civs being able to do strange things is right up my alley. Starting on water, getting big benefits out of mountains or making tundra and snow tiles viable is very cool. I haven't played Civ VI for more than half a year, but this is just enticing enough to lure me back I think. And I'm curious about the natural disasters as well, whether they're annoying or something to shake up the gameplay.

Also, canals and mountain tunnels are long overdue.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I can't wait to see how the AI will fail to use these features.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
All of these cool fucky features just makes me wish it was possible to retain unique infrastructure upon capturing a city. I haven't played enough Civ VI, but is it possible in this one? Like if I invade France, I'm not asking to build Chateaux of my own, but I should be able to take advantage of those that I was wise enough to not pillage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Another civ with insanely busted tile yields.