Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The :yokotaro: mobile game is being released in NA sometime next year:

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/sinoalice-and-another-eden-coming-west

There were some Automata tie-ins last year, you can read about them here:

https://theark.wiki/w/SINoALICE:_Recollections_of_the_Puppets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

And Keiichi Okabe does the music for SINoALICE as well :allears:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Man, I wish the people who complained about the "monotony" of the game while complimenting the story would either watch some of those crazy colosseum battles or like, know which quests are sort of the most rewarding, in the sense of the story/character development. Some of the dialogue between 2B and 9S or 60 is so good and makes route C and just everything I guess a little more potent or idk, I guess I've seen people complain about a lack of consistency in their dialogue, even though they know the story, or particular reasons why, but said the game itself doesn't let this get fleshed out. But side quests like that, the Engels one, the missing village machine kid.. Emil, etc. So many good sidequests, while a few are long and boring.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The :yokotaro: mobile game is being released in NA sometime next year:

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/sinoalice-and-another-eden-coming-west

There were some Automata tie-ins last year, you can read about them here:

https://theark.wiki/w/SINoALICE:_Recollections_of_the_Puppets

YES. i started sinoalice to get a feel for it. And it's pretty fun

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Finally, I can beat up Geralt as 2B to get revenge for my friends 100%ing Witcher 3 and not even bothering to boot up Nier: Automata

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
So my daughter and I was bored and she wanted to dance so I was like "hmm, what's a cool and weird tune to dance to?" and for some reason the theme park song popped into my head and now I have to replay this game I guess?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Martout posted:

So my daughter and I was bored and she wanted to dance so I was like "hmm, what's a cool and weird tune to dance to?" and for some reason the theme park song popped into my head and now I have to replay this game I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8LgCka4Y_s

bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCAUkX1Y7Co

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
For the next 8 hours and change, The Yetee is selling a 2B/Emil shirt design for $12 USD

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/1072368385571340290

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yoko Taro for Smash

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
From a channel mostly known for showcasing cut content in the Soulsbourne games, some stuff rarely if atll seen content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-aU83aYHEo

Has anyone else encountered any of this?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Gnome de plume posted:

From a channel mostly known for showcasing cut content in the Soulsbourne games, some stuff rarely if atll seen content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-aU83aYHEo

Has anyone else encountered any of this?

Developers used the score attack mode in one of the pre-release presentations to demonstrate the battle system.

Im pretty sure they even mentioned they had no intention of actually including it in the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry I got a random question.

I played NieR years ago now but I recall Emil having like an emotional breakdown when you revisit the Aerie and fight the big...thing. And Weiss is like "what you are hesitating for? Those are Shades!"

Obviously Nier knows nothing and Kaine knows everything but what do those two know about the situation? Is Emil just normally very empathic or something?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry I got a random question.

I played NieR years ago now but I recall Emil having like an emotional breakdown when you revisit the Aerie and fight the big...thing. And Weiss is like "what you are hesitating for? Those are Shades!"

Obviously Nier knows nothing and Kaine knows everything but what do those two know about the situation? Is Emil just normally very empathic or something?

He is, but the people there were also harboring and defending the shades, and eventually got absorbed into Wendy. Emil definitely didn't want to kill people.
Weiss lost his memory, so he doesn't understand the Shades.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Doesn't Emil take out the entire place including all the replicants? He doesn't need to know what the shades are for that to feel lovely.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
He pretty much nukes the entire drat town on accident and kills all the people he was trying to save. You bet that's gonna gently caress a kid up.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

And then Nier tries to downplay by saying "But you saved OUR lives."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beefstew posted:

And then Nier tries to downplay by saying "But you saved OUR lives."

What else was he going to say to the poor kid?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

What else was he going to say to the poor kid?

If he was trying to comfort Emil, sure, but he meant every word of that. Never look back.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

If he was trying to comfort Emil, sure, but he meant every word of that. Never look back.

That's why I like him, to be honest.

The only time I think he shows regret is maybe when Emil sacrifices himself? I forget the context but I distinctly remember there's a scene where Kaine yells at him and he's very solemn and says "I know..." He admits he hosed up there, wherever there was.

And then they just move on.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

That's why I like him, to be honest.

The only time I think he shows regret is maybe when Emil sacrifices himself? I forget the context but I distinctly remember there's a scene where Kaine yells at him and he's very solemn and says "I know..." He admits he hosed up there, wherever there was.

And then they just move on.

It's even better.

He just gives a half-hearted "Sure."

Then there's the part where he hesitates just for a second before killing the Shadowlord, then shakes it off and does it anyway.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

So I finally started this game last night! I've gotten to the resistance base. The end of that first level sure was something :stare: I was wondering, though, why did 2B get so very worked up about 9S getting all torn up, if they just respawn back at the base? I get that, as far as she knew, they would lose their memories of the mission (which tbf, 9S did), but it's not like the two of them had very much time to bond during that mission anyway.

Something occurred to me this morning, though. The whole "earth got attacked by aliens (who have the tech for space travel, it would seem) and they used lovely robots to conquer the earth but US COOL HUMANS escaped to the MOON where these space traveling aliens DEFINITELY can't get to us and then in only three years we made an army of COOL, NOT-lovely ROBOTS using the plentiful resources on the moon!" spiel we hear when we first get to the bunker seems a little sketch. Seems like we're either actually on the aliens' team (but why would they make us think we're helping humans?) or it's actually a couple of human factions fighting each other, or something. Just musing out loud, I don't want any confirmation/denial, please.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Zack Ater posted:

So I finally started this game last night! I've gotten to the resistance base. The end of that first level sure was something :stare: I was wondering, though, why did 2B get so very worked up about 9S getting all torn up, if they just respawn back at the base? I get that, as far as she knew, they would lose their memories of the mission (which tbf, 9S did), but it's not like the two of them had very much time to bond during that mission anyway.

Something occurred to me this morning, though. The whole "earth got attacked by aliens (who have the tech for space travel, it would seem) and they used lovely robots to conquer the earth but US COOL HUMANS escaped to the MOON where these space traveling aliens DEFINITELY can't get to us and then in only three years we made an army of COOL, NOT-lovely ROBOTS using the plentiful resources on the moon!" spiel we hear when we first get to the bunker seems a little sketch. Seems like we're either actually on the aliens' team (but why would they make us think we're helping humans?) or it's actually a couple of human factions fighting each other, or something. Just musing out loud, I don't want any confirmation/denial, please.

Nier Automata isn't the kind of game that conclusively answers all of the questions it poses or explains all of its lore in detail, but your two questions both have answers.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Zack Ater posted:

You're asking the right questions. Keep playing the game, friend. Keep an eye out for other stuff that...doesn't quite make sense.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm trying to find that music video that was released almost as a preview for Automata, with the machine destroying all the dolls, but I can't remember the name of the song or think up any useful search terms that don't bring up actual trailers for the game or fanvids. Has anyone got a link?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm trying to find that music video that was released almost as a preview for Automata, with the machine destroying all the dolls, but I can't remember the name of the song or think up any useful search terms that don't bring up actual trailers for the game or fanvids. Has anyone got a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiNKk3fPed8

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks! Maybe I'll bookmark it this time.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

WHAT THE gently caress ARE THESE HEADS IN THE DESERT

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
extremely normal and nothing to worry about

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RoadCrewWorker posted:

extremely normal and nothing to worry about

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I should have stopped and gone to bed before the missile mission. Now I've finished Ending A. I will write up a proper trip report later. Game's good.

still confused as gently caress about those emil heads in the desert. Oh well, hopefully I will find out later...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

I should have stopped and gone to bed before the missile mission. Now I've finished Ending A. I will write up a proper trip report later. Game's good.

still confused as gently caress about those emil heads in the desert. Oh well, hopefully I will find out later...

There are answers for almost all of your questions somewhere.

They are not, generally speaking, happy answers.

Congratulations, though. The path to ending B is where people are most prone to dropping out, but it's worth pressing through. What comes after that is some of the most interesting stuff in the game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A guy I work with got to A and dumped the game because "nothing got explained and the ending made no sense"

He's basically reason they put that message at the end and it still didn't work I guess

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The idea that things may get answered a bit later is too much for some people I guess.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I know at least one internet famous games reviewer who got to the first set of credits in Gravity Rush 2 and just turned off his PS4 right then and there, so yeah, I guess those "this isn't actually the end of the story"-screens are necessary

The first credits in Gravity Rush 2 are basically a very well-executed joke. "Haha, remember when the last game ended with a big fight against a huge spherical monster in the plaza in Vendecentre, and none of the story's loose threads really got tied up in any meaningful way? Imagine if we did that again. Anyway, here's the last act of the game"

But then it flies over the heads of people whose literal jobs is reviewing video games, and a bunch of the potential audience gets grossly misinformed. It's very sad.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Remember when the Kotaku guy wrote a scathing article decrying Octopath Traveler for not having a final true ending when it turns out it does and he was just too dumb to find it

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I mean, to the Octopath Traveler Kotaku guy's credit, the ending wasn't that great and it made questions like "Why couldn't we have had more interweaving plot elements throughout the meat of the story?" all the more glaring.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Let's see... my last post of substance had me having just gotten to the Resistance base. I'll spoiler tag stuff just in case anyone else new to the game is checking the thread.

So after a couple mandatory sidequests, we're sent off to the desert. Fun times, I always love deserts... This one wasn't that bad, though. Plenty of landmarks all around to orient by. The sandstorm is extremely annoying; I understand blocking off areas for later, but I feel like the screen started being obscured too quickly, they could have given us a bit more room. But oh well. I like exploring, so I think I found most of the stuff there the first time through. Got the pod (though I never heard the noise in game, but I could in TDI's video (I'm also reading through his LP as I go, though a ways behind my own progress)), found what I assume is a DLC entrance, found the oasis, found some... curved metal bits? buried in the sand? Odd. Found some AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-*boom* :stonklol: Did not find the two androids above the oil pond, embarrassingly enough. Anyway, while wandering around I of course encountered some enemies. And then I went and did the objectives of killing enemies. 9S, maybe the twentieth time you have to say "oh they don't mean anything, they just got lucky pulling out combinations of random words that make it seem like they have coherent thoughts but NAH OF COURSE THEY DON'T :pseudo:," you might consider re-evaluating what you think you know.

Anyway, went to the last objective marker, which led to a new area! It's alright, I'm a bit sad about how short and linear it is. It gave me a sweet axe/halberd though, so I can't complain too much. I continued along to the end... not really sure what I was expecting, but that was not it :stare: Just kind of stood there for a minute. I didn't want to kill any of these guys! But plot does as plot does. Then, uh. :stonk:

The boss music was the creepiest thing in the game so far.

Moving along, I eventually make it to an amusement park! At first I was slightly terrified of that courtyard at the beginning. Clown robots, ugh. They're chill friends, thankfully. Though.... why? Why are they here? Why are they dressed up and in makeup and generally trying to run an amusement park? Adam and that whole sequence didn't really make me any more or less suspicious about what's going on, but this place sure did. Jumping ahead a bit, they don't seem like part of Pascal's group, and I have no idea about them being connected to the network or not; they just sort of seem... like they were originally built to run the park, and that's what they've been doing for so long? Or, alternatively, that humans who worked at the park somehow became these machines? Hm...

Got to the boss, she was annoying. And berserk? Not entirely sure what her deal was. BUT GODDAMN YORHA HOW MANY UNITS DID YOU SEND TO INVESTIGATE THIS PLACE SHE HAS LIKE FIVE BAJILLION ANDROID PUPPETS. Like maybe after the first several units lost you should send maybe a battalion and if that didn't work then shoot an orbital laser or something how are you so incompetent?

Then a friend appeared and led me to the best place in the game :3: Pascal is wondering and my best friend. I am extremely concerned about all these bodies I keep seeing appear here, though :ohdear:

I think around here I stopped and did a bunch of sidequests? It might have all been after the next story beat, though, I don't quite recall. I had been wondering why so many people were dying in the city ruins :stare: That certainly shook things up. Was it supposed to be difficult to get past the first Engel to get into the building, though? 9S sounded really worried but you can just sort of... stroll around it?

Regardless of whether I took a sidequest break before that, I definitely took a sidequest break immediately afterwards! :negative:

No, it's fine. It doesn't take too long to get anywhere, and I do actually like running around in this game. Among others, I began a sidequest involving photographs. So this led me back to the desert oasis, of course, and I figured, hey, while I'm here, I'll go check on those weird buried metal things cause they're nearby, and then I'll go back to Adam's arena cause there's a red dot on the map vaguely near there, so maybe there's another exit or something? Took me a while to find the metal bits again, I thought they were a bit closer to the oasis than they actually were. It was perfect, though. Crested a dune, they're all laid out there before me, I'm all WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, it was great. I have since (thanks, TDI's LP thread) read a transcription of the radio drama of Emil fighting off the aliens - could these be his clones? why are they all different sizes, though :confused: Find out next time on dragonball Z!

So then I made my way back to the orgy pit. It is no longer an orgy pit, it is a very hateful pit full of jerks who kept killing me.

I also picked up like three sidequests that needed pristine screws. I killed an enemy for one of the first two quests, got the screw, then picked up the third quest and immediately turned in that first screw, so that third quests's enemy never spawned, and I've had lovely luck getting random enemies to drop one so I've been wondering around perpetually missing a pristine screw for this quest but keep getting popups every time I pick up a silver ore, e.g. silver ore: 37/1 :negative:

There were several other sidequests. Not many left a notable impression except the ones I didn't get to finish because I waited too long.

Many sidequests later, I actually get back to advancing the plot! So there's a lot to digest here. The aliens are already dead and gone. Adam and/or Eve (idr who was talking) confirmed that the aliens did, in fact, create the machines, and revealed that the machines killed the aliens. Didn't really follow the why but okay. But also... why are the alien motherships under the city ruins? The city ruins that by all rights should be more ruinous than they are, if they were built by humans like ten thousand years ago? Hm.

Then came a nice, relaxing hike through a forest. I really like this area, it's quite scenic :3: I wish I didn't have to nearly kill the one robot's boar first to befriend him. I also wish I didn't have to move the metal cube every single time I want to go see that weaponsmith.

I am quite glad that the game made A2 kill the baby king, instead of making me do it :v: Though I do wonder what 2B and 9S would have done if A2 hadn't shown up. They didn't seem aggressive towards it at all. I wonder if deserter A2 has any relation to the deserter NPCs from some earlier sidequests. I assume I'll find out later!

More sidequests! And I shouldn't have picked up the next story quest until I was done with them! :negative: Well, one of the sidequests in particular, at least. I also should have saved and quit before the next story quest, because I couldn't put it down after that! But this is a long, rambling post already and I have other stuff I need to do, so I'll come back and finish up later, maybe with some actual theorizing thrown in as well.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Amusement Park sold me on the game's visuals and it's OST is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Don't worry too hard about missing side quests, after a certain point you can use a chapter select to go back and finish any that you missed.