Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
I hate the bloom, aim time, and dispersion on all of the IS variants. it makes it really hard to do anything at all when you're bottom tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I don't know if you're committed to a specific artillery tech tree yet, but I love the German tier 5 and 6 ones, the Grille and the Hummel. They seem to be very popular among the playerbase as well and appear in matches often. The Grille is just nice all around, with decent range/damage and good movement/concealment for emergencies. Unfortunately, it has a narrow gun arc and must turn often while aiming. The Hummel is kind of a monster for its tier, with very high damage and almost limitless range on every map, but also very high reload time. It initially took me quite a while to warm up to it, since it handles so extremely differently to the Grille, but now it's probably my favourite vehicle in the game. It's the one tier 6 with which I can be reliably effective against the flood of tier 8s that I'm stacked against every single match.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The German line really peaks at Tier 7. Absolutely loved it. 8 and 9 have been a slog. I'm really tempted to go up the American line.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Stanley Pain posted:

The German line really peaks at Tier 7. Absolutely loved it. 8 and 9 have been a slog. I'm really tempted to go up the American line.

I have been working up the TD line in Germany and I have talked great things about Marder II and Hetzer. But the Steyr WT?

Not my favorite TD in the game. I has potential to meet slow people that I can pick off but that is really about it for this thing. It is only good for getting rid of scraps you meet.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Katamari Democracy posted:

I have been working up the TD line in Germany and I have talked great things about Marder II and Hetzer. But the Steyr WT?

Not my favorite TD in the game. I has potential to meet slow people that I can pick off but that is really about it for this thing. It is only good for getting rid of scraps you meet.

Please tell me you didn't buy that piece of poo poo and it's just a rental.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

I've been eyeing this one, actually. I'm in a situation where I have both the Tiger I and the G.W. Panther unlocked, but only enough credits to buy one of them.

So the recommendation is to go with the artillery, given that we've established I don't mind the general playstyle of them?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Hellsau posted:

Please tell me you didn't buy that piece of poo poo and it's just a rental.

I did spend money on this. I can't really find an excuse that might justify my purchase but at least know I did get a discount on it at least and I did not pay full price. Same with some other awful tanks you have said like that Scorpion and SU-100Y. I do not regret my purchase and I enjoy playing them.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gimmick Account posted:

I've been eyeing this one, actually. I'm in a situation where I have both the Tiger I and the G.W. Panther unlocked, but only enough credits to buy one of them.

So the recommendation is to go with the artillery, given that we've established I don't mind the general playstyle of them?

I'd definitely go with the G.W. Panther. I haven't played my Tiger I in a very long time so I don't know if it's good or not these days.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gimmick Account posted:

Both the Tiger and GW Panther are stronk tanks and you can't really go wrong with either of them. I'd lean slightly towards the GW Panther because it really is the highlight of the German arty tree.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

The die is cast, then. Thanks, everyone! :)

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The biggest arty lesson I can give any new person is this:

If there are 2 or especially 3 arty per side. Shoot and scoot. Don't even look to see how the shot landed. Hit shift and start moving. If one of their arty wastes time counter battery, the less time they are helping their team win the front line. The gw panther has enough engine to really move do use it.

For french artillerymen, the gimmick if the bat 155 tanks is to set your hull sideways to your turret. This way, you scoot sideways away making countering harder if they shot short or long where they might catch other arty.

Lesson 2: never counter battery. You waste time setting up the shot that could be better spent helping your team. Like loving up that td your light spotted and then died shortly afterwards too.

Also, bushes are for tds, not spgs. Find a dip in the landscape or some other hard cover to shoot over. It is harder to counter battery when there is no reference points. And hard cover that breaks los will never reveal you like bush when you fire your gun.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

That's good advice. The only exception to never counter battery is Mines, since there's only two or three places SPGs can set up, and it's such a (lovely) campy map that taking one or two arty off the board may save some of your campers.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gone Fashing posted:

I hate the bloom, aim time, and dispersion on all of the IS variants. it makes it really hard to do anything at all when you're bottom tier

This is why I played with the [post-buff] D10T gun on the IS, and preferred the 45TP (tier 7 Polish HT) to the IS/IS-2.

Gimmick Account posted:

Eh, I wouldn't suggest focusing on arty, since they defeat the purpose of the game (they're not even tanks.)

saintonan posted:

That's good advice. The only exception to never counter battery is Mines, since there's only two or three places SPGs can set up, and it's such a (lovely) campy map that taking one or two arty off the board may save some of your campers.

A month or two ago I was arty (3 per side) in a Mines match and two of their SPGs were relentlessly trying to CB; I not only survived them but carried our team to victory (I think I was in the M55.) :feelsgood:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, counter battery in arty is an immense waste of time.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Completely agree but I wish that's what they'd all do so they would leave the rest of us alone.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Barry posted:

Completely agree but I wish that's what they'd all do so they would leave the rest of us alone.

But if all SPGs are on counter battery duty, they're all just waiting for someone else to fire the first -- ohhh I see your point.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stanley Pain posted:

I'd definitely go with the G.W. Panther. I haven't played my Tiger I in a very long time so I don't know if it's good or not these days.

I have never failed to pen any one of them I meet whether top or bottom tier. The Tiger I may have been a beast in it's time in the real world, but it's got loving butter armor in game

As for counter battery, the only times I get wrapped into that is when my team decides to hide and not scout, or when I happen to see the tracer while panning by. I actually got a bombadier medal for it once. What is the thing with arty bunching up together? I always try to space myself away from them

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 12, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SocketWrench posted:

I have never failed to pen any one of them I meet whether top or bottom tier. The Tiger I may have been a beast in it's time in the real world, but it's got loving butter armor in game

I assumed it had been power crept pretty badly by now. I remember when the Tiger I was hot poo poo though :wal: :stat:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Tiger's armour is alright if you angle it properly, which pubs never do, but you don't play the Tiger for its armour, you play the Tiger for its gun.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Does the Tiger 1 still suffer from those weak corners that people can ammo rack you through?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Does the Tiger 1 still suffer from those weak corners that people can ammo rack you through?

Yep, ammo racks all along the entire hull sides, including a good chunk of the front sides.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Client video working as intended.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Atomizer posted:

Eh, I wouldn't suggest focusing on arty, since they defeat the purpose of the game (they're not even tanks.)

I am having the most fun with them, so they fulfill the purpose of a game for the player to have fun. To each their own.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Gimmick Account posted:

I am having the most fun with them, so they fulfill the purpose of a game for the player to have fun. To each their own.

Of course, while you may be having fun, you're subsequently ruining the fun of 15 other players, so there's that.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Barry posted:

Of course, while you may be having fun, you're subsequently ruining the fun of 15 other players, so there's that.

Yeah, artillery is clearly the thing ruining this game, not messed up matchmaking, pay-to-win premium tanks, or mandatory gold ammo usage to be able to contribute in matches affected by the former two factors.

It's the artillery that fires two or three times a minute!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Those don't help either but artillery loving blows

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gimmick Account posted:

Yeah, artillery is clearly the thing ruining this game, not messed up matchmaking, pay-to-win premium tanks, or mandatory gold ammo usage to be able to contribute in matches affected by the former two factors.

It's the artillery that fires two or three times a minute!

You know whats the icing on the shitshow cake when you're bottom tier in +2 match making with a team full of windowlickers?

Theres 3 enemy artillery and they all have a loving hardon for clicking you.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

You know whats the icing on the shitshow cake when you're bottom tier in +2 match making with a team full of windowlickers?

Theres 3 enemy artillery and they all have a loving hardon for clicking you.

I'm in those matches all the time, on both sides of the coin.

Use cover, just as you would against regular tanks (where that idea is not nearly as controversial, I presume). Artillery prefers to hit spotted, exposed enemies, and because it gets to fire so rarely compared to people in other vehicles, artillery will gravitate towards tanks that are badly out of position. Again, yolo scouts and 'bot kurwa debil noob' mediums who just roll around a building corner and get dogpiled by the entire (regular, not artillery) enemy team are fair game, but getting punished for your tactical mistakes is suddenly injustice if artillery is involved.

I honestly don't feel like arguing against alternative facts with you guys here. Even if you have somehow convinced yourself of the Clicker bogeyman's existence, it just takes a look at almost any given post-match scoresheet to see that artillery is not dominating this game.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
give artyplayers their own game. or launch em into space whatever

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
New Map Prototype • Hotchkiss EBR with BOOST ► World of Tanks News - Update 1.4+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrWyO_UYJUQ

Holy poo poo, you can peel out in the new wheeled vehicles.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 13, 2018

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Circon goes on a rant on the buffed is-3a. It is beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyL4JAnGqx8

Gameplay is first, then a giant rant.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
All these rants do is sell more loot boxes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Circon goes on a rant on the buffed is-3a. It is beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyL4JAnGqx8

Gameplay is first, then a giant rant.

wait lol they put the IS-3A into the game with zero changes, not even like a mobility or HP nerf or something?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The IS3A reloads the first shell about 5 seconds faster than it's others. Meaning you get a nice 1400 DPS in 20 seconds.

W + Left Mouse button

e: Actually I still have this piece of poo poo back from it's release.
Welp.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 13, 2018

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just saw a Comet with the 3.7 inch Howitzer in the wild. The guy had 91 battles in it so it shouldn't be stock.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

McGavin posted:

Just saw a Comet with the 3.7 inch Howitzer in the wild. The guy had 91 battles in it so it shouldn't be stock.

god bless him

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

Dunno what's wrong with that, the 3.7 has 200 more DPM, though its shells are twice as expensive.

e: lololololol can't stop giggling at the fact that the is-3a's default shell goes six times as fast as the brit derp gun shells

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 13, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

wg should update the firing sounds to account for the fact that the 3,7" is actually subsonic

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

e: lololololol can't stop giggling at the fact that the is-3a's default shell goes six times as fast as the brit derp gun shells

So the IS-3A is basically an AMX 50 100 that can survive emptying the clip?
And is reasonably mobile with semi-decent armour like an IS-3?
And it is a premium so the only way to nerf it is power creep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cardiac posted:

So the IS-3A is basically an AMX 50 100 that can survive emptying the clip?
And is reasonably mobile with semi-decent armour like an IS-3?
And it is a premium so the only way to nerf it is power creep?

The IS-3A is what the T69 wishes it was - inaccurate gun with moderate gold pen so it needs to get in close, but it has enough mobility to actually close the distance and enough armor and HP to survive close range, and a sizeable burst damage to punish enemies that allow it to close the distance and clip out.

And then the IS-3A becomes a regular tier 8 heavy tank without actually being punished for the 1200 burst damage over 6 seconds because its autoloader mechanic is broken, and also the IS-3A crushes the T69 in penetration and also everything else.