Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Does Bleed scale enough and do enough damage to focus on in the passive tree? I know you don't really need more than a 30% chance to inflict it, but there are a lot of +bleed damage nodes. Right now (A6) I can take a lot of yellow mobs down to half health or so and sort of just stand there and watch them bleed out, but I have no idea if that will still be effective when I start to get into yellow maps and beyond. I'm not looking for that kind of damage and I am overlevelled right now, but I don't want to try it, hit 80 or so and realize I need to respec half my tree.

Also I'm having more trouble gearing up in this league, I think the massive drops several times each level in delves made good gear a lot easier to find through sheer quantity of items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m considering getting Bones but it will hurt my ability to be max res once I finish the campaign.

I might have to stop using Blasphemy + Curse and swap to some other curse mechanism so I can use Purity of Elements.

A little late, but, depending on your minions it can be worth running Generosity + Anger or Hatred and Commander of Darkness which will give your minions both a ton of extra ele damage but also then a huge lump of increased damage and resists from CoD. Then if you want the res buff for yourself can grab a non-worm unset ring and run clarity though I don't bother personally.

Also a taunt-on-hit jewel which makes your personal resists much less useful as few things will try and hit you outside incidental and aoe damage.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 13, 2018

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Owns

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Are you just going down the very small list of rules and breaking them all

Hey nothing like that is going on, OK? That's preposterous. Well yeah maybe he was talking about it but there's nothing wrong with talking about hypotheticals. Yeah he talked to a guy about swapping currency between leagues but the other guy stopped responding; besides, he didn't know it was illegal and it was just a little bit. Maybe he did start a trade in game, but the other guy started asking for more in return, so he walked away. Nothing wrong with that. Besides, it's only punishable by a short probation, it's not bannable. Besides, he didn't do it. You couldn't have seen it because nothing happened. But it would have been OK if he did.

So maybe he did make one little trade for league currency. It doesn't matter, he didn't know the currency was from standard. He wouldn't break any rules if he'd known, his friends on another board told him to do it anyway, and if he did make the trade it was because the other guy said it was just a currency change within the league. You guys are just out to get him, you called a mod and told them he was doing all this stuff - he wasn't running a map hack or anything, it was just one currency trade, and the currency coming from the other league is a small thing, it won't matter in a few months anyway, and he didn't know trading between leagues was bad or that the currency was from the other one. Its just a big Witch Hunt!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I checked: standard to hardcore trading is allowed (including betrayal to hardcore betrayal) but trading between the perm leagues and the temp leagues is not.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Hey nothing like that is going on, OK? That's preposterous. Well yeah maybe he was talking about it but there's nothing wrong with talking about hypotheticals. Yeah he talked to a guy about swapping currency between leagues but the other guy stopped responding; besides, he didn't know it was illegal and it was just a little bit. Maybe he did start a trade in game, but the other guy started asking for more in return, so he walked away. Nothing wrong with that. Besides, it's only punishable by a short probation, it's not bannable. Besides, he didn't do it. You couldn't have seen it because nothing happened. But it would have been OK if he did.

So maybe he did make one little trade for league currency. It doesn't matter, he didn't know the currency was from standard. He wouldn't break any rules if he'd known, his friends on another board told him to do it anyway, and if he did make the trade it was because the other guy said it was just a currency change within the league. You guys are just out to get him, you called a mod and told them he was doing all this stuff - he wasn't running a map hack or anything, it was just one currency trade, and the currency coming from the other league is a small thing, it won't matter in a few months anyway, and he didn't know trading between leagues was bad or that the currency was from the other one. Its just a big Witch Hunt!
more and more people are saying to lock him up? don't we love it?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I made my own build this season. It's an impale-focused Shattering Steel Champion, using Starforge. It's not very good! I respecced into it from a boring-but-solid AW lab farmer which I used to farm 6 or so exalteds, and get an essence worm and tinkerskin for my friends.

http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/KoldPT/characters/LeroyMerlinJenkins

I've still got to level a bunch of new gems, and get a 6-link so I can actually use Brutality which is a stupidly high boost to my DPS. Does nayone have any advice for where I should go with this?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

stop resisting

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

gonadic io posted:

I checked: standard to hardcore trading is allowed (including betrayal to hardcore betrayal) but trading between the perm leagues and the temp leagues is not.

yeah I think the rule was that the leagues they have to be the same age

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

KoldPT posted:

Does nayone have any advice for where I should go with this?

get a 6 link so you can use brutality

also use VDS for bosses

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmYzXWdB5jg

:thunk:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Hooray, another cold snap person! Here is the pile I currently have going through yellow maps. Works well enough, though I need to replace a few pieces. Still experimenting with things too.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/FilthyMonkey/characters?characterName=ColdyMonkey

But yeah, malachai's artifice doesn't work in PoB. To get the right numbers, check "player has elemental equilibrium". Then check "ignore skill hit damage?" and "Enemy was hit by Light. Damage".

The ring is totally great with a storm brand in it. The combination of the EE resist debuff and activating EO is nearly a doubling of damage. I would have a hard time not running it.

I've been trying to figure out what skill to use with Artifice, I'm so used to dedicating some links to Ball Lightning/GMP that sitting there with one just feels like a pain. I mean, even a sad 1-orb BL works fine against single bosses, but poo poo like Betrayal encounters is pretty bleh. Gonna have to try Storm Brand out.

I converted mine from a weirdo Trickster Flame Surge + Kitava's Thirst build after getting annoyed at Betrayal encounters stomping the poo poo out of it due to the whole standing still + zero range issue though, so not quite as defensive as Frigid Wake/Wicked Ward but all the mana and damage is nice at least.

I read that apparently Elemental Focus still lets the DoT areas of Cold Snap/Vortex apply ailments so I've been having fun with that.

How are you finding Phase Run as a movement ability?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
this is real stupid and I love it

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Figured out what happened yet Rodent? Rip :(

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable at the game can help me and my friend out.

We usually try out new character builds per league, but this time we hit a dud - I'm playing Engineering Eternitys "JUGG of All Trades" which is so far working fine.
He's trying out a "Icestorm CI Occultist".

The snag? We both didn't realize just how frustrating the skill Icestorm is visually when it's spread across the entire screen.
Not only does it cover the entire ground in bright white, but it's also raining loads of white stalagmites across the screen and makes horrific sounds while falling. We've had to put on Windows "Night mode" to avoid the eyestrain in the darker areas!

We both agree it was a huge mistake to pick that build.
Any advice on if he can salvage the build into something that won't physically hurt to look at after an hour? The character in question is "Bubblesquirm".
We have limited time to play so we'd like to avoid starting a new character from scratch but frankly, it's either salvage or burn to the ground.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lamquin posted:

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable at the game can help me and my friend out.

We usually try out new character builds per league, but this time we hit a dud - I'm playing Engineering Eternitys "JUGG of All Trades" which is so far working fine.
He's trying out a "Icestorm CI Occultist".

The snag? We both didn't realize just how frustrating the skill Icestorm is visually when it's spread across the entire screen.
Not only does it cover the entire ground in bright white, but it's also raining loads of white stalagmites across the screen and makes horrific sounds while falling. We've had to put on Windows "Night mode" to avoid the eyestrain in the darker areas!

Any advice on if he can salvage the build into something that won't physically hurt to look at after an hour? The character in question is "Bubblesquirm".
We have limited time to play so we'd like to avoid starting a new character from scratch but frankly, it's either salvage or burn to the ground.

his build is a fairly generic cold damage build right now. Have him use the free respecs he'll get through the story and maybe a couple of regrets to drop Heart of Ice, Snowforged and Frost Walker. (None of these are bad they're just probably not the most optimal choices for Vortex.) Have his next focuses be Fingers of Frost and Growth & Decay. That'll let set him up very well for Vortex or Cold Snap, which also cover the ground in white poo poo but the white poo poo is way less visually offensive than ice storm. And the sound is better. And the damage is higher.

Here's a random streamer running vortex occ if he wants to see what it looks like visually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZEMGZGG_4

Here's a good streamer's build for a vortex occ if he wants to see an example of how it's built long-term (though note waggle went CI, so if your friend wants to be life based just have him keep that in mind) https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Dsfarblarwaggle/characters/wagglepepesilvia

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 13, 2018

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Here's a random streamer running vortex occ if he wants to see what it looks like visually:

Here's a good streamer's build for a vortex occ if he wants to see an example of how it's built long-term (though note waggle went CI, so if your friend wants to be life based just have him keep that in mind) https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Dsfarblarwaggle/characters/wagglepepesilvia

Amazing advice and great examples, thanks! I'll pass it along.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Lamquin posted:

Amazing advice and great examples, thanks! I'll pass it along.

no problem! here's one more example from the best POE streamer talking about budget gearing options for Vortex (again, CI, but this is a good league for CI if your friend feels like respeccing in a few levels. you generally don't level as CI anyway so respeccing from life -> CI is a fairly normal way to go about it, and your friend is mostly in the right areas of the tree (except his weird stretch down to Sentinel) to go CI easily)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OKAnJKSISE

nerox
May 20, 2001
Is the stash sale this weekend? I want to get a few more tabs and I got points to burn from buying the supported packs for Delve and Betrayal leagues.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
If I have any skills that are triggers (Either cause the skill is a trigger, or I have a support gem that makes it a trigger), do I need to have that skill on the skill bar for it to be usable? Or can I save that space for active skills?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

get a 6 link so you can use brutality

also use VDS for bosses

Yep, already using VDS on my second 5l! Thinking about getting a 6l but they're still prettty expensive and I'm not sure if I'll be playing enough this league to farm a meta one (good rare / belly / loreweave) up.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If I have any skills that are triggers (Either cause the skill is a trigger, or I have a support gem that makes it a trigger), do I need to have that skill on the skill bar for it to be usable? Or can I save that space for active skills?

The latter

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I love this league and how the syndicate can assassinate my rear end at any time.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rynoto posted:

A little late, but, depending on your minions it can be worth running Generosity + Anger or Hatred and Commander of Darkness which will give your minions both a ton of extra ele damage but also then a huge lump of increased damage and resists from CoD. Then if you want the res buff for yourself can grab a non-worm unset ring and run clarity though I don't bother personally.

Also a taunt-on-hit jewel which makes your personal resists much less useful as few things will try and hit you outside incidental and aoe damage.

Right now I’m running Generosity + Anger and Purity of Elements. I could just run a level one Clarity I suppose, I didn’t think of that.

I need to buy one of these mystical taunt jewels people keep telling me about.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Lightning Knight posted:

I need to buy one of these mystical taunt jewels people keep telling me about.

A simple life + (minion)taunt shouldn't set you back more than a few c.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Zmej posted:

I love this league and how the syndicate can assassinate my rear end at any time.

Same. I always keep a Vaal DS charge in reserve unless I’ve seen the fortification, transport or research den.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Cameria was right this time

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I'm running Consecrated Path in a Shroud of the Lightless, which is very good, but I'm using Hypothermia because getting 4 red on that is going to be a nightmare. My question is: playing as Jugg with Voidforge and Abyssus, will map bosses and guardians be reliably chilled? Alternately, what's a good utility skill I can use to make sure bosses are chilled?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

I'm running Consecrated Path in a Shroud of the Lightless, which is very good, but I'm using Hypothermia because getting 4 red on that is going to be a nightmare. My question is: playing as Jugg with Voidforge and Abyssus, will map bosses and guardians be reliably chilled? Alternately, what's a good utility skill I can use to make sure bosses are chilled?

Throw in hypothermia on a vaal warchief and that'll help.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Lamquin posted:

Here is my CI cold snap/vortex build. I think I paid around 3ex in total for all the gear so it isn't that expensive.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/vinnytk/characters (FrozenDotBuildMaybe)

With both CS and vortex down it gets around 750k shaper dps (more with vaal CS active and if i figure out how to slot vaal RF in) while being tanky at almost 10k ES. Tree is pretty flexible for more defenses if wanted as well. As is I've died maybe 3 or 4 times since level 80 and all of them are because of my laziness (not reading mods on strong boxes or being to lazy to roll an ignite flask)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how do you trigger EE? I might copy you since I wanted to do a vortexer. I see storm brand but doesnt the vortex/ee initial hit trigger the cold res gain?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

queeb posted:

how do you trigger EE? I might copy you since I wanted to do a vortexer. I see storm brand but doesnt the vortex/ee initial hit trigger the cold res gain?

You only need the EE for bosses or rares with health mods so you just ignore it till you get there. Drop a storm brand along with the other spells when you get to a boss. It triggers pretty often so there isn't much dps lost. You could use the ring if you want but I wanted crit strike chance linked to insure EO uptime and I didn't want to sack a ring because I highly value ES recharge delay reduction.

That reminds me, I need to look for a watcher's eye

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 13, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Artifice is the only good way to EE for CS/Vortex, imo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I managed to craft up a life and taunt ghastly jewel, but I'm extremely poor this league so haven't bought poo poo.

I regal'd my life and taunt eye and got "minions deal x-x additional chaos damage." Does that mean it's adding chaos damage to their physical attacks, or would it just increase chaos damage if they were doing it already?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Up to you! Personally I don't think .2 secs of lower dps is worth a ring slot though.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Jinnigan posted:

Vortex is an instant cast and creates chilled ground. Link it with bonechill and it’ll even be a dps boost in addition to causing chill.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
Could I get an invite for Phegwn to whatever guild has space?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The addition of bonechill is a nice buff to all cold damage builds - either vortex or spell totem arctic breath for easy application

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

I managed to craft up a life and taunt ghastly jewel, but I'm extremely poor this league so haven't bought poo poo.

I regal'd my life and taunt eye and got "minions deal x-x additional chaos damage." Does that mean it's adding chaos damage to their physical attacks, or would it just increase chaos damage if they were doing it already?

The former, though I think it applies to both attacks and spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

What’s the deal with the gif of the guy in the OP doing some orb thing to a belt? It looks like something I want to laugh at. I just downloaded this game cuz it popped up on Steam and was reading up.