Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

I'd be fascinated to hear how the rules on that work.

I don't know about that specific case but it might have something to do with rules about imitable violence. For instance, Sam and Max would frequently replace handguns with bazookas or flamethrowers and bending in Avatar was a way to have a show about martial arts without people punching and kicking each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In the comics Archie drove a Model T well into the 90s.

Yeah but that's a case of something being so anachronistic it wraps about to being cool again.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Push El Burrito posted:

Black Lightning is good because he is 100% dad all the time. Even when he's superheroing around he's just a super dad.

It is indeed a good show. The dad/mom/daughters family dynamic is cool (and I almost died laughing at that episode where the younger daughter sits down to have The Talk with her parents), the villains are cool (Tobias Whale's actor owns especially), etc. Was never familiar with the original comic so am basically taking the show as its own thing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The 90s Spiderman had all the guns be futuristic lasers.

They also got around restrictions on vampirism by having Morbius drink "plasma" and not blood using suckers on his hands instead of his fangs.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Koalas Massacre posted:

You are really not giving Black Lightning the credit it deserves imo

https://twitter.com/NafessaWilliams/status/1067175292962316290?s=19

I haven’t seen the show yet, what’s going on in this tweet?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Torquemada posted:

GIRLS BEING GIRLS, BUT ALSO BLACK

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Torquemada posted:

Just a couple of gal pals sharing a friendship kiss.

(The tweet is calling out fans, gossip writers, etc. who go to great lengths to celebrate white gay characters, like Kevin on Riverdale, but conveniently forget non-white characters in all their celebrations.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Microcline posted:

I don't know about that specific case but it might have something to do with rules about imitable violence. For instance, Sam and Max would frequently replace handguns with bazookas or flamethrowers and bending in Avatar was a way to have a show about martial arts without people punching and kicking each other.

Pretty much, an American kid isn't likely to find a RPG or a flamethrower under their parents' nightstand. BTAS and its family of shows got away with a LOT by leaning on implication and plausible deniability. (characters can't die onscreen, but have them zapped away or thrown out an airlock or charge a T-Rex barehanded and never show up again...)

For examples of how to do it hilarious wrong, see a lot of anime dubs from the 90s and early 00s.

Standards and practices can get silly. Phineas and Ferb had fun with that, including how the boys could pilot anything they built up to planes and spaceships, but anything resembling a car they always either gave to an of-age driver to use or operated by remote control, since kids are allowed to use remote control cars. Apparently even if they happen to be inside the remote control car. And another episode they actually read out a S&P rule verbatim.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Phineas and Ferb was cool and good and aged well, and I was mildly concerned with hem getting any reference in this thread.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Standards and practices can get silly. Phineas and Ferb had fun with that, including how the boys could pilot anything they built up to planes and spaceships, but anything resembling a car they always either gave to an of-age driver to use or operated by remote control, since kids are allowed to use remote control cars. Apparently even if they happen to be inside the remote control car. And another episode they actually read out a S&P rule verbatim.

ReBoot had a lot of making fun of S&P. Ex: the episode where the entire plot is they can't get acts together for Enzo's birthday because Standards and Practices kept vetoing them for increasingly ridiculous reasons.

Which always makes me wonder what rules changed between season 2 and 3 because... yeah going from "we can't show any non silly violence" to "our main character now brutally executes people with a gun" is a big tone shift.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

ReBoot had a lot of making fun of S&P. Ex: the episode where the entire plot is they can't get acts together for Enzo's birthday because Standards and Practices kept vetoing them for increasingly ridiculous reasons.

Which always makes me wonder what rules changed between season 2 and 3 because... yeah going from "we can't show any non silly violence" to "our main character now brutally executes people with a gun" is a big tone shift.

And got his eye ripped out!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They changed networks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, it definitely hurts the possibility of this character showing up in the upcoming Shazam/Black Adam films.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FdBRLV6PGro

Something tells me "O Mighty Isis!" is not gonna fly well with focus groups. :(

There's a metal band, a pretty good one, that was called Isis and I remember there being a story about a guy buying an Isis shirt off eBay, paying with Paypal, and getting his Paypal account suspended. I wonder if the FBI visited too.

Here's the story https://www.loudersound.com/news/isis-the-band-fan-has-paypal-account-suspended-over-t-shirt

They'd broken up before the terrorist group was widely known, but they recently did a benefit for a friend of theirs who passed away (to cover funeral costs and I think medical, too?) and they had to come up with a new name, they switched it to Celestial. Not bad for a name they probably had to cook up pretty drat quick, they hadn't played together since 2010.

It's a shame because I didn't discover them until after the terrorism cell started being reported on, now I don't wanna buy their albums off the net out of fear of being put on a list somewhere.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Dec 14, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
ISIS (the band) is worth being on a watchlist for. Every single one of their albums is a masterpiece.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Microcline posted:

Yeah, pretty sure that's it. A kid is vanishingly unlikely to pick up an actual tommy gun, so it can occupy the same space as other "fantastical" weapons and they can get away with featuring them more. Though I also recall there still being a fair few conventional firearms in BTAS so :shrug: As I recall they also got away with a decent number of gun-to-camera shots early on.

Also, somewhat related, you obviously can't show an actual human getting horribly, violently killed but robots? Or ventriloquist dummies? Totally fair game. Hence why pretty much any time they show up in the DCAU they'll get totally hosed up. They really liked decapitating robots and Scarface got a particularly :stonk: tommy gun death one time.

FreudianSlippers posted:

They also got around restrictions on vampirism by having Morbius drink "plasma" and not blood using suckers on his hands instead of his fangs.

Honestly I think this ended up being a benefit because weird lamprey suckers are way more creepy than bog-standard vampire stuff.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Dec 14, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The only time I think I saw a Cobra mercenary die was during a hang glider chase (wtf) where one of them hit a cliff and went straight down. There was no surviving that.

Checks out. What kid is going to find his parents’ hang glider in the bedside drawer and try to fly.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Also, somewhat related, you obviously can't show an actual human getting horribly, violently killed but robots? Or ventriloquist dummies? Totally fair game. Hence why pretty much any time they show up in the DCAU they'll get totally hosed up. They really liked decapitating robots and Scarface got a particularly :stonk: tommy gun death one time.

Samurai Jack is king of the robot gore cartoons imo. Some of the bad guys that turn out to actually be robots when Jack slices their heads off are pretty hilarious.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

The only time I think I saw a Cobra mercenary die was during a hang glider chase (wtf) where one of them hit a cliff and went straight down. There was no surviving that.

Checks out. What kid is going to find his parents’ hang glider in the bedside drawer and try to fly.

Those hang gliders exploded when they got shot which suggests quite a feat of engineering on the part of Cobra Command

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Jonny Quest was the king when it came to actually killing the bad guys. Shot down in a triplane, rolled into a lava pit in your own wheelchair, crushed when being hoisted by a mummy, killed by yetis, sub exploded by reflected laser, crushed by Race's speedboat, blown up by self destructing rocket, eaten by tiger, eaten by crocodiles, avalanche, blown up by mine, shot by other bad guy who himself was killed by falling ice. And that's just the main villains - uncounted henchmen also bit it during said events.

Thunderbirds did the same - more than one villain killed.

Ah, the good old days...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

MrUnderbridge posted:

Jonny Quest was the king when it came to actually killing the bad guys. Shot down in a triplane, rolled into a lava pit in your own wheelchair, crushed when being hoisted by a mummy, killed by yetis, sub exploded by reflected laser, crushed by Race's speedboat, blown up by self destructing rocket, eaten by tiger, eaten by crocodiles, avalanche, blown up by mine, shot by other bad guy who himself was killed by falling ice. And that's just the main villains - uncounted henchmen also bit it during said events.

Ah, the good old days...

The 90s series had as many grisly deaths, with one guy getting killed with a punji stick trap as a standout

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hank Venture doesn't even need a hang glider, just an umbrella, a Batman costume, and a dream.

And a clone.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

MrUnderbridge posted:

Jonny Quest was the king when it came to actually killing the bad guys. Shot down in a triplane, rolled into a lava pit in your own wheelchair, crushed when being hoisted by a mummy, killed by yetis, sub exploded by reflected laser, crushed by Race's speedboat, blown up by self destructing rocket, eaten by tiger, eaten by crocodiles, avalanche, blown up by mine, shot by other bad guy who himself was killed by falling ice. And that's just the main villains - uncounted henchmen also bit it during said event

Ah, the good old days...

Not to mention the number of henchmen who were executed for being BUNGLERS!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There was one instance of the 90s series of a guy just being straight-up killed onscreen by a gun, in the episode involving terrorists(?) with cryogenic bombs. Some captured scientist is working on the terrorists' device as they bring in Dr Quest to help him. He decides to say he's had enough, and they shoot him in the gut, slightly below the screen, and he briefly convulses in pain before falling over.

A couple of other fun ones were the silhouette of a lady being ripped to shreds by fish monsters and two shrieking paranormal investigators crushed by a slowly falling ceiling trap.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Robots being okay to kill reminded of this one page of The Avengers where they disassembled the Vision's body and it looks horrifying even if its only circuits

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My wife just gave me my Christmas present early: Every season of the Golden Girls on DVD

I'm pleased to say that, so far (and barring that weird Mink episode), despite the fact that it's the most ribald show in history, it's all still loving amazing and relatively politically correct.

In episode 3, Rose hasn't had sex since her husband died. She falls for a dude on a cruise, and he pressures her until she reveals that she's nervous, then he backs off and gets a separate room. Then she reveals that the reason she's nervous is because her husband had a heart attack and died while in bed with her.

gently caress, Golden Girls has to be the main reason I devoted my life to comedy writing

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Dec 15, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Drunk Nerds posted:

My wife just gave me my Christmas present early: Every season of the Golden Girls on DVD

I'm pleased to say that, so far (and barring that weird Mink episode), despite the fact that it's the most ribald show in history, it's all still loving amazing and relatively politically correct.

That show balances "risque" with "family friendly" in a way no other show could, or even attempted.

Here's a decent top ten video for anyone who hasn't seen the show,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27KWUXcso4

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Samuringa posted:

Robots being okay to kill reminded of this one page of The Avengers where they disassembled the Vision's body and it looks horrifying even if its only circuits

I'm the cape buttcheeks

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Me and my girlfriend are watching "The Story of Santa Claus", a cartoon from the 90s about, well, Santa Claus. It's standard Christmas cartoon fare but a couple things keep sticking out to me. One, the landlord that kicks Santa and his wife out is a long nosed greedy man named Minch and very concerned about taking valuables from them for their debt. Secondly, the wizard who grants Santa's wish to become Santa has a large nose and tries to convince Santa to wish for money instead of the ability to make toys, then tries to rules lawyer his way out of keeping the wish going. I really didn't realize Jewish stereotypes persisted into the 90s, but I guess I just never payed attention. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
This got me worrying about the Winter Warlock and... well I know Tablet is cheating but

https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/119079/a-very-gay-jewish-christmas

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Me and my girlfriend are watching "The Story of Santa Claus", a cartoon from the 90s about, well, Santa Claus. It's standard Christmas cartoon fare but a couple things keep sticking out to me. One, the landlord that kicks Santa and his wife out is a long nosed greedy man named Minch and very concerned about taking valuables from them for their debt. Secondly, the wizard who grants Santa's wish to become Santa has a large nose and tries to convince Santa to wish for money instead of the ability to make toys, then tries to rules lawyer his way out of keeping the wish going. I really didn't realize Jewish stereotypes persisted into the 90s, but I guess I just never payed attention. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it

When the US press found out that Ocasio-Cortez was, like, 1/8th Jewish, they responded by using this photo of her everywhere.

Those stereotypes are very much alive and well, sadly.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Everyone is so freaked out by her and it is hilarious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a bit odd. She comes off as a generic politician to me. :shrug:

(I don't really like politicians myself - I definitely think less of people who choose "politician" as their profession.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Really? 20-something bartender turned congressman?

She seems pretty unique, but she doesn’t change the political equation. Her seat is reliably Democrat and she’s probably not even the most liberal Dem out there. Maybe it’s just fear of a changing electorate or perhaps conservatives were hoping she was TOO left leaning and they could flip her seat if they screamed enough.

Also Hillary will never run again and Pelosi is getting old. Need a new devil woman to scare voters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

Not really. My understanding was that she was in one of those seats where they vote for anyone who has the right letter after their name. Maybe that's very cynical of me, I'm not sure. I am not American so I may have the wrong outlook on this sort of thing.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Dec 19, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
AOC winning the general election wasn't surprising but beating a long-term high-ranking incumbent in the primary sure as hell was.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Wheat Loaf posted:

(I don't really like politicians myself - I definitely think less of people who choose "politician" as their profession.)

I wish I lived in a country where democratic socialists qualified as generic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I wish I lived in a country where democratic socialists qualified as generic.
:norway: a country where it is more or less political suicide to be against abortion or the wellfare state.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Dec 19, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

:norway: a country where it is more or less political suicide to be against abortion or the wellfare state.

Even some of the extreme right-wing sorts in the Scandinavian countries seem to have figured out that they need to present their message as "the welfare state but for OUR PEOPLE ONLY".

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

AOC winning the general election wasn't surprising but beating a long-term high-ranking incumbent in the primary sure as hell was.

Not just a high-ranking incumbent - Joe Crowley was next in line as leader of the House Democrats, which means he was likely the next Speaker of the House. Even if she does nothing else, AOC already shook up the Dems more than any House member in recent history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Person. I realise it was just a typo and I'm being needlessly pedantic when everyone knows what you meant, but on principle of changing attitudes about gendered professions, poo poo matters.