Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I went through his post history, it was more than just Roku. Their stock tanked but not to 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

quote:

ser_name_IV
Didn’t you lose 1.3 mil in about a month not too long ago??

memecaptial
Yes, this is just a follow up to that.

SpicyBagholder
So you're saying you lost 2 million?

memecaptial
On my last post I still had like 50k or so. I’m down to 10 now. Total loss from ytd high is 1.59 mil. Total loss ytd is 850k

Also led me to this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/7w6cq0/i_somehow_made_110k_this_morning_and_im_still_not/ posted:

Yesterday at 4:10pm EST I sold the 266.50/266.00 put spread for a 2 cent credit. 1,000 of them. I guess at 4:14 or 4:15 before the option expired SPY must've dipped below 266.50 because I woke up the next morning before the market opened and saw my balance was up about $140k. I thought it was a glitch with the Etrade app at first but then looked at my portfolio and saw what happened. For some reason I was assigned only 863 of the 1000 put contracts I sold. That's 86,300 shares of SPY which is about $23,000,000 worth. I only had $50,000 in my account so I started panicking and wondering if Etrade would liquidate my account or something, so I put in a limit order of 268 (SPY was trading around 268.12 at the time), hoping the sale would go through immediately. After putting in the order a message popped up saying my order would be put through when the market opened, which I don't understand because I thought you could buy and sell stocks/ETFs during premarket hours. So anyway I was stuck staring at my phone's screen until 9:30 when the market opened. Immediately about half my shares sold for $268 each. The market seemed to be dropping so I lowered my limit for the rest to 267.60 and the rest of them sold for that price. After all that my balance was about $112k higher than it was yesterday. Does anyone know how much interest Etrade will charge me for holding 23 million dollars of SPY for these few hours? Proof: https://imgur.com/a/onEjU

Which, if you don't know what that all means:

quote:

He sold contracts that said he had to buy the stock at expiration of the contracts if SPY were at a certain price. He thought they would expire worthless.

He was wrong. Since the market is so volatile he was "put" the shares, which was 86k of SPY shares or $23 million.

He panicked and sold the shares as soon as he could for a profit during the small window of time SPY went green over the volatile trading session. He made 110k in a very lucky small window of time, but he might be charged some interest for borrowing 23 million for a few hours.

4 and 7 days before this post, he made threads titled "Options Question" and "SPY options question".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

4 and 7 days before this post, he made threads titled "Options Question" and "SPY options question".

Jesus christ, this guy wrote 1,000 SPY naked puts (100k shares)? How did etrade even let him do that? I feel like their margin algorithm needs tuning or this guy lied a lot about his assets.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Craps is definitely the most fun game to win at.

Thank you for bringing that hilarious subreddit to my attention by the way.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

I don't really understand what these terms mean but apparently none of the people on that subreddit do either. Maybe I should wager my life savings?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I can't believe a dealer screwed them over!

BMW Lease Gone Wrong- HELP!

quote:

Hello,

Really hoping for any advice on my current car leasing situation. 3 years ago my boyfriend started a lease on a BMW 4 series for $425/mo. After a year and half had passed, I was interested in also leasing a 4 series. I found one I liked and we negotiated the price down to $400 a month. At the time I was financing another vehicle and was cosigned on my boyfriends lease. Because the new BMW would be a third car under my name they had to get creative. I offered to have my parents cosign but they said they found another solution as my parents were out of state. They decided to basically do a “payoff” of my boyfriends remaining lease payments and add it to mine so that we would only have one BMW under each of our names. This made our payment around $825/mo for the combined payments. We signed the deal and were on our way. The following day we wondered what would happen when my boyfriend’s lease term ended. We called and I can’t quite remember exactly, but it was something along the lines of the payment would fall off or we would trade both cars in and begin new leases.

Recently, as my boyfriend’s lease term ended this month, we went in to talk to the finance manager about our trade in process (salesperson no longer works there). He said he would try and work on it and to come back. He set us up with a salesperson and we got nowhere. Basically, they screwed us. Even though we negotiated the price of my car before figuring we needed to combine lease payments, I am now stuck with a remaining payment of $825/mo for my car alone as my boyfriend had to trade in his car. Somewhere in the mix of paperwork it was calculated to have my boyfriends value over the 36mo instead of 15. Instead, we should have had a much lower required monthly payment and paid over that amount for the difference of my boyfriends car during the 15mo so when he turned his in my payment would have been $400.

We went through a million options, but basically I have a negative equity of $15000 that would have to be rolled into a new lease, making my payment on even a base model BMW higher than what I am paying now and for a 36mo term instead of my remaining 15mo lease. We looked at doing a buy back of my car instead of a lease trade in, but it was originally so overvalued in our deal that I am still negative the 15000. I listed it on lease trader but doubt that anyone will be interested in this car for that monthly price. They also mentioned financing my car to purchase, but three days after I got the car I was hit and it effected the alignment of the car so I am not interested in this option. We went to another BMW dealer different than the one that originally did the deal and they were shocked at what they had done to us. The only option seems to be for me to keep my car for a few more months and hope that BMW offers a pull-ahead program again where they pay 3-4 of the remaining payments to get you into a new car. My boyfriend ended up leasing a new 530e and we plan on using his rebates for the electric car to pay down some of my car, but I would obviously ideally like to find a different way out of this.

TLDR: BMW lease gone wrong, left with $825/mo payment and seeking options to get rid of the car

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I can't even follow that. I know that's deliberate, but still.

I love how all these posts include "negotiating the monthly payment down" as if a lower number is a win for then.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Maybe they should stop leasing BMWs

wint: no

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
leasing a new BMW and using the rebates to pay down the excessively large balance on your current BMW loan which is huge because you rolled your previous BMW loan into it

I choose to believe the rebates being used for this specific purpose were a real selling point in this whole arrangement

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
That's amazing. The helpful dealer turned back the clock on her boyfriend's lease, and now she has to pay his lease payment for three years even though there were only 15 months left on the lease.

It's almost as if car dealerships aren't acting in your best interest.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Squinky v2.0 posted:

leasing a new BMW and using the rebates to pay down the excessively large balance on your current BMW loan which is huge because you rolled your previous BMW loan into it

Imagine four BMWs on the edge of a cliff. Say one BMW falls off the edge of the cliff and turns into a burning, crumpled-up wreck. The negative equity on that BMW will still be lower than the one on your new triple BMW lease.

Financing works the same way.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Enchanted Hat posted:

Imagine four BMWs on the edge of a cliff. Say one BMW falls off the edge of the cliff and turns into a burning, crumpled-up wreck. The negative equity on that BMW will still be lower than the one on your new triple BMW lease.

Financing works the same way.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You're an angel sent from BWM heaven to deliver us from evil.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:emptyquote:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nice

Update your loving thread though

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

:allears:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Gifs Well Made

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The link is for a building that I saw advertised and noticed potentially leaky features and water damage. Turns out in the disclosures it was a leaky building. The previous own has sold at a loss of almost $800k.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/...vhIiqAa-7X3ZUJk

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

haha wow, thanks for doing the digging. This is amazing. It makes his "analyst looking for a SECOND job" comment even crazier. He's a gambler, not an analyst if he doesn't know the ins and outs of his setup.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Should I finance my next iPhone

quote:

hi all

so i currently work at subway and so cannot afford a new iphone outright, i currently have an iphone 8+.

However I REALLY REALLY want the new iphone xs, and i see you can finance through apple for 24 months...It's coming to around $60/mo

is this a good idea? thanks.

quote:

quote:

Why do you need a $1440 phone? when you still have a $700-something phone?
I make 11.50/hr

And it's not really 1440, more like 60 as its not a one time hit...but maybe you guys are right, it is a lot when you add it up

:thumbsup:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Need help running numbers on a new car

quote:

Im going to buy a new car and am running numbers and have some discrepancy between 2 dealerships. The car above has a msrp of ~42k and im supposed to be getting an A Plan for it because of prior affiliating with Ford. Please let me know if these numbers make sense.

quote:

quote:

Please don't do this. 7 years @ 6 percent holy cow, you're halfway to a mortgage at that term.
Yea i understand the interest rate is high. It’s also a mustang so the interest rates are higher than Usual
:confused:

quote:

Was hoping for 72 months but the monthly is too high on that term

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
People keep explaining to him that he can't afford the car and he keeps on as if he can.

quote:

A good general guideline is "20/10/4".

You should always put at least 20% down. Your total monthly car costs should not exceed 10% of your monthly income. And the payment shouldn't extend past 4 years.

So you've failed the downpayment requirement. And since the payment at 6 years is already too high for you then there is no way you're even close to being able to afford that vehicle.

How about this rule for financing a car?

quote:

I think the 20/4/10 rule is dumb but the fact that you only have $3k down and are extending the payments to 84 months because you can't afford them on a 72 month plan indicates that you can't afford the car

No, that financing rule is dumb. Oh btw you still can't afford the car. :v:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I'm kind of dreading the day a few years from now when a good book like "The Big Short:Inside the Doomsday Machine" or (classic) "The Smartest Guys in the Room" comes out, only it's about what's going on now with auto loans and how everyone should have seen the crash coming.

I mean, I'll read it, but it'd be nice if it didn't need to be written.

There will always be a huge number of consumers who will take whatever banks are willing to give them whether it's smart or not. That is nothing new. What's changed dramatically in the last couple decades is the willingness of the banking/finance industry to profit off and indeed flat out exploit that fact.

Everything going on with auto loans, 84 month terms (72 is nearly the norm now!), rates, etc. reminds me of the lead up to the housing crisis where I had a number of (idiot) friends and co-workers buying overpriced houses on interest-only terms because housing prices just kept going up. At the time they were buying mini-mansions on ex-farmland in the prairie outside Denver - an area not known (then or now) for a shortage of real estate. Jesus.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Thankfully interest only or negative amortizing auto loans don’t exist yet. Please no one tell me they exist if they do.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Did he go all in on Roku...?

He must not own one, because I could have predicted this. (I'm aware it didn't tank because the boxes are janky. But they are.)

Turns out he had a naked short on a company called Stitch Fix (think Blue Apron but for clothes):

quote:

[–]memecaptial[S] 179 points 1 day ago*

Stitch fix hosed me when I shorted it at 38. That’s 80% of the story. The position I had on sfix would be worth about 6.5 million at today’s low too.

For reference, the stock ran up to $53 after he shorted it before crashing below $25, so he was right but as the saying goes "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The only thing dumber than investing in poo poo that advertises on podcasts is shorting poo poo that advertises on podcasts

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

crazypeltast52 posted:

Thankfully interest only or negative amortizing auto loans don’t exist yet. Please no one tell me they exist if they do.

As with the housing calamity in 2007-2008 what matters is not the terms to the consumers, but how banks are packaging and selling the loans in the form of bonds or other financial instruments. You'd *think* they'd know better now but...

All that matters on the consumer end is whether a large number of them start defaulting leaving pennies on the dollar for whoever ultimately ended up holding the bag of risk. It's a zero-sum game so someone is going to lose, and those losses can ripple far beyond their particular market segment. And cars hold value even worse than houses and also have almost no chance of improving over time; quite the opposite. That, and a large number of loans are starting to approach mortgage like levels - look what a loving Ford Raptor tricked out (to use a favorite example here) costs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

I'm kind of dreading the day a few years from now when a good book like "The Big Short:Inside the Doomsday Machine" or (classic) "The Smartest Guys in the Room" comes out, only it's about what's going on now with auto loans and how everyone should have seen the crash coming.

There’s a subprime market for cars and it crashed in 2007 like housing, but it’ll never hold a candle to the shitstorm that was securitized mortgages. There just isn’t the same kind of exposure and automakers are already cutting production because the market is getting softer. They don’t have the same perverse incentives mortgage lenders and housing developers had, which meant home building was going balls deep right up to the cliff.

Auto financing has pretty regular cycles and things like leases are popular for consistent chunks of time and then become regularly cursed when used car stock becomes too great and you’ve got tons of vehicles going off lease without anyone to buy them.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The other thing about the next crisis is that even Lehman was solvent, just not liquid enough to handle the credit markets freezing up. So if intrabano lending can survive, it should be less bad than the last one.

Edit: meant interbank, but interbano is too good to correct.

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 13, 2018

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The financial product that will be a part of the Big Short 2 will be CLOs. It's not just auto loans, but credit card debt and student loans all rolled together. Rolled together like dung beetle poo poo.

The theory is they all can't blow up at once. Of course the debts are in no way independent.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Devian666 posted:

The financial product that will be a part of the Big Short 2 will be CLOs. It's not just auto loans, but credit card debt and student loans all rolled together. Rolled together like dung beetle poo poo.

The theory is they all can't blow up at once. Of course the debts are in no way independent.

I was going to guess student debt, but good to know it'll be even dumber than that.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Most student loans are viewed as low risk because there are so few options to get out from under them but at the end of the day dollars need to cross the table and if they don't, people betting on them are hosed no matter what the various laws are, also if we learned anything from the crisis a decade ago it's that idiots making increasingly risky bets can explode all over the economy.

As far as auto - I don't think auto loans themselves will be as bad overall as the housing market implosion was either but I do think they have the potential to gently caress things up pretty good regardless.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Don't invest, spend everything, die young, leave a beautiful corpse. Maybe the grasshopper was the true GWM one all along

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Student loans may not crash spectacularly, but they will continue to smother the economy as we all barely get by and feed most of our income into the pockets of landlords and banks.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

This one is asking for advice, but it's just so dumb I had to post it

Am student. Would like to buy house instead of pay rent. Good idea?

quote:

I'm planning on getting my PhD somewhere in the US over the course of the next 5-7 years, and instead of paying rent, I thought it would be cool to buy a house instead and save that rent money in the form of property. Thing is, I'm 22 and have only a couple grand to my name (but no student loans, and I pay off cc every month, so credit score is good). I know I need some money for a down-payment, but what I'm wondering is just how feasible this idea is? What are some hurdles I don't even know about? When I think about how I would go about it, I would find maybe 4 other students, put together a down payment, pay about $1k/mo each in house-loan payments, and then have a house at the end of the 5-7 years. Even cooler would be if the other four students were my renters instead of co-owners, and I got to keep the house at the end!

quote:

quote:

That's a terrible idea. [Many reasons it's a terrible idea follow]
Thank you for the advice, do you think it would be a better idea for the other roommates to be full co-owners? Also the idea would be to pay off the house in full before graduating, so even if the market crashes, we'd be better off than if we had wasted the money in rent.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

This one is asking for advice, but it's just so dumb I had to post it

Am student. Would like to buy house instead of pay rent. Good idea?

Thank you for the advice, do you think it would be a better idea for the other roommates to be full co-owners? Also the idea would be to pay off the house in full before graduating, so even if the market crashes, we'd be better off than if we had wasted the money in rent.

Hoooooly poo poo. Reminds me of a buddy who bought a house in 2006 that was 5 bedrooms, 2200 sq ft. He was unmarried, but had lots of friends which he let move in for exactly 1/5 of the mortgage cost each. He ended up badly upside down on the house and had to do a short sale so he could move back to Ohio. He lost well over 40k in that debacle.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

RIP anyone who bought in 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

FAUXTON posted:

The only thing dumber than investing in poo poo that advertises on podcasts is shorting poo poo that advertises on podcasts

How about investing with companies that advertise on podcasts? Yesterday this happened with Robinhood:

quote:

railfanespee[🍰] 8 points 43 minutes ago

It was way, way more than this.

Something regarding RH's order execution broke, and they may have been selling calls as puts. No, really. At the very least, people were being credited obviously wrong amounts. Within 30 minutes of market open, they shut down all options accounts to contain the problem. Unfortunately, that left people holding bags they couldn't sell. I got my account back before EOD and actually managed to make $2 off of the put I'd unintentionally been bagholding all day. Others, especially call holders, were not so lucky. And RH hasn't exactly been jumping at the opportunity to reimburse anyone who lost money. Some folks over at WSB are down over a grand.

It was quite the poo poo show.

Robinhood chose today to launch their new checking account product (with 3% interest) and I found this out while looking at their Reddit to see if they could be trusted. I think I'll pass on this offer for now. :v: