Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Burkion posted:

You know there'd be a lot of cult poo poo built around him

For sure. But that would also work both ways.

For some, he’s the Archangel Michael, for others he’s the beast from Revelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

These are amazing

This one has me scratching my head. The lava would have you think it's Rodan but it looks like it's walking. Burning Godzilla? Or a second, maybe third, unknown kaiju?

As for Godzilla being a hero, I still wish there had been a cutaway scene in G14 similar to the end of Destroyah where the radiation levels suddenly drop as Godzilla absorbs the fallout. It bugs me that a nuke, even one that had its radiation drained by the Mutos, detonated offshore from San Francisco and nobody mentions the nuclear fallout from such as disaster.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BigglesSWE posted:

For sure. But that would also work both ways.

For some, he’s the Archangel Michael, for others he’s the beast from Revelations.

He rather fits the biblical Leviathan a bit too well at times.

Half-Century War comics addressed this a bit, that by the end of it basically half the human world was in ruins and the other half fearfully waiting its turn and desperately building countermeasures.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The idea of worshipping Godzilla is already baked into G14. Specifically, the news footage of Godzilla leaving SF is framed with the headline "Savior of San Francisco?" And of course there's Cranston's role as something of a prophet promising Godzilla's return. I love that the sequel appears to be leaning into than angle with stuff like Serizawa saying, "We would be his [pets]."

My favorite element of G14 was how the monsters are simply acting out their natural lifecycles, but humanity projects hostility or love onto their actions. When someone in the KOTM trailer asks, "Which ones are here to protect us, and which ones are here to threaten us?" I'm very interested to know if there's even an answer. I might be reading too much into it, but I think the answer will ultimately be "None of them."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn PR2 was such a trash heap of a movie. What a fall from grace.

Not saying the 1st was amazing but it was at least competently made and entertaining.

E: Hours late! :(

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
You know it’s bad when the indestructible charm of John Boyega can’t save your movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was rolling my eyes at the Anaheim Electronics cameo in Pacific Rim 2. That, plus the film kept overusing some of the dumbest stuff from the first film. The first movie kept playing up the "throw a giant robot so far that when it comes to a dead stop it barely plinks something or sets off an alarm" until it got boring. PR 2 did it every single fight.

How do you make giant robots and monsters trashing a city look so boring?

One thing from KOTM trailer that I hope is longer in the film proper is Godzilla running. While it was neat to see him hoofing it, I hope there's more buildup so that they can emphasize just how much power is needed to move his bulk. Again, something Pacific Rim 1 did extremely well was emphasize the weight of the machines. When Striker Eureka is rushing into battle you can see it wind up to full speed when it gets to sprinting.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I don't remember where I read it, but some review of Pacific Rim 2 said you could tell all of the vision had been leeched out of the project because Stacker Pentecost's son was named "Jake." The character names went from "Newton Geizsler" and "Hannibal Chau" to "Nate Lambert" and "Jake."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Something I caught from those:

There's multiple tornadoes in the background.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

You know it’s bad when the indestructible charm of John Boyega can’t save your movie.

I'd love to see a version of the first film just with Boyega substituted for Hunnam in the lead role. Not that Hunnam was particularly bad, but I do think he was a bit of a weak link and Boyega would've brought a lot more charm to the movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see a version of the first film just with Boyega substituted for Hunnam in the lead role. Not that Hunnam was particularly bad, but I do think he was a bit of a weak link and Boyega would've brought a lot more charm to the movie.

I mean, the first film already has a "rivals for daddy's affection" thing going on, what with Mako and the douchebag Aussie trying to get their parent's approval.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

This, i'm 70% sure, is gonna be a giant scorpion or something

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

This, i'm 70% sure, is gonna be a giant scorpion or something

Looks like a talon from a wing, so probably Rodan.

Edit: On second look, no it's not a wing. The cascading dirt made it look like a wing at first.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's either a giant scorpion or Kumonga is back for a summer holiday in the oil fields.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Schwarzwald posted:

Something I caught from those:

There's multiple tornadoes in the background.

This Godzilla is so chunky

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DeimosRising posted:

This Godzilla is so chunky

Don't body shame.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's barrel chested. At least it didn't all go to his thighs leaving him with chicken arms like Shin. Legendary has some pipes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Davros1 posted:

Don't body shame.

Ain’t nothin shameful about that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Schwarzwald posted:

Ain’t nothin shameful about that.

Yeah I’m into it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Check out the last pic:

https://twitter.com/ItCameFromBlog/status/1073287912983154688

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Godzilla is probably built like a bear in that he’s designed to take a lot of damage with his hyde and survive scraps. He’s got a long range beam. This also makes Kong more mobile and capable since he’s an ape.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gatts posted:

Godzilla is probably built like a bear in that he’s designed to take a lot of damage with his hyde and survive scraps. He’s got a long range beam. This also makes Kong more mobile and capable since he’s an ape.

But lightning makes Kong stronger!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Are there any decent Godzilla figures that don't cost $70-$100+ like all the SH MonsterArts stuff seems to?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MrMojok posted:

Are there any decent Godzilla figures that don't cost $70-$100+ like all the SH MonsterArts stuff seems to?

NECA's figures are pretty good for its price point. Not as articulated as SHMonsterArts tho.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

NECA's figures are pretty good for its price point. Not as articulated as SHMonsterArts tho.

Eh, some are more articulated.

The real trade off is, Monsterarts feel like statues but can pose pretty well

NECA isn't near as rigid, but the flexibility gives them more room to move.

For most, the difference in price is not worth it unless you just have the money to burn. GMK NECA is superior to the monsterarts version

Good NECA figures are Shin if you don't mind his head being a tad too long, G54 and GMK. 94 is a fun figure, 2014 looks fine though is about to get super overshadowed by KotM Goji, and 84 is

He exists

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just save your duckets for X-Plus series, haha. They are truly worth the money. :)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

2014 12 inch figure is great. I think they just re-released it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1073367018252820480

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Rodan :worship:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat Rodan owns.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Dougherty has been tweeting the posters with thematically appropriate mish-mashes from Revelations for each of them:

Ghidorah: “They have as king over them, the angel of the Abyss. A star fallen from heaven to earth, he opened the shaft of the bottomless pit, and from the shaft rose smoke like that of a great furnace, and the sun and the air were darkened...”

Mothra: “Then from the smoke came locusts on the earth, and they were given power like the power of scorpions over the earth. They were told not to harm the grass or any green growth or any tree, but only those of mankind.”

Rodan: “For the Beast that comes up out of the Abyss will make war with them, and overcome them… and kill them.”

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Textless posters

https://imgur.com/a/6WEdt0v

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

All of those are boss as hell. The hype for this film is enormous, they better nail it (I have faith).

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HannibalBarca posted:

Dougherty has been tweeting the posters with thematically appropriate mish-mashes from Revelations for each of them:

Ghidorah: “They have as king over them, the angel of the Abyss. A star fallen from heaven to earth, he opened the shaft of the bottomless pit, and from the shaft rose smoke like that of a great furnace, and the sun and the air were darkened...”

Mothra: “Then from the smoke came locusts on the earth, and they were given power like the power of scorpions over the earth. They were told not to harm the grass or any green growth or any tree, but only those of mankind.”

Rodan: “For the Beast that comes up out of the Abyss will make war with them, and overcome them… and kill them.”

Good to know he's continuing the theme of Edwards' film in which Godzilla is a killing Christ.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Original Rodan: Dorky chicken-looking doofus.
New Rodan: Terrifying loving Hell-beast.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Original Rodan: Dorky chicken-looking doofus.
New Rodan: Terrifying loving Hell-beast.

Hopefully there's not two this time like in the original Rodan, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Tulta_Icon/status/1073229742155870209

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

That reminds me. It took me a bunch of viewings to catch that when Godzilla runs into KG at the end of the trailer, he grabs a head in each hand.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So. drat. Hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hello new phone wallpaper