Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

qirex posted:

For your room you're probably better off with a ported model. Rythmiks don't have the raw output of SVS or Hsu but I like sealed subs and the direct servo design speaks to my nerd brain. A VTF-2 or PB-1000 would do you really well. I think SVS is sold at Best Buy/Magnolia now so that takes the whole shipping thing out of the equation.

The aforementioned PB-1000

Would this be under-powered for my space?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/svs-10-300w-powered-subwoofer-premium-black-ash/5707705.p?skuId=5707705

e: haha you beat me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

SA Forums Poster posted:

15' x 19' with a few opening:

Where in the room would be the best place for the subwoofer?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SA Forums Poster posted:

15' x 19' with a few opening:

$500 would be a good price point

This is a little over price, but seems like a good one: Rythmik L12 Servo Sub?
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/subs/l12.html

That's too many openings to count as a sealed space and you'd have to add the volume of the adjacent rooms if you're trying to actually pressurize the area.
That being said, if you closed those spaces (by adding doors) you could get away with a single PB-1000.
I don't think you're going to find any better sub for $500.

qirex posted:

For your room you're probably better off with a ported model. Rythmiks don't have the raw output of SVS or Hsu but I like sealed subs and the direct servo design speaks to my nerd brain. A VTF-2 or PB-1000 would do you really well. I think SVS is sold at Best Buy/Magnolia now so that takes the whole shipping thing out of the equation.

The aforementioned PB-1000
SVS has free shipping so I wouldn't even bother with Best Buy because it's way less work than having to drive to a store and lug that monster home.
I like sealed subs also, particularly for listening to music, but you're just not going to get the same bass extension of a ported sub out of one, making the ported sub the best bang for the buck in a home theatere setup.

SA Forums Poster posted:

I couldn't tell you. But you can easily find out for yourself: https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement

It'll be just okay unless you seal off those openings to other rooms.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 7, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SA Forums Poster posted:

Here's the fun part: it depends. The wavelengths of bass notes are so long that room geometry can play a big part. Generally the closer to a corner it is the louder and "boomier" it will be. If you want to fall into full on grognard territory google "bass crawl" and read up.

To both of you I wouldn't worry much about reference level, that's as loud as a $100k movie theater system and actually achieving it typically requires not only many thousands in subwoofers but also home remodeling and weird foam bits glued to your walls.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SA Forums Poster posted:

That’s entirely down to the laws of physics. Where you want to put a sub is often not the place it performs best.

Put the sub in your listening position (at ear height), play a test tone through it then crawl around on the floor. Where it’s loudest is where you should put it IDEALLY. It’s usually not anywhere you’d want to put it though... One house I lived in, the best place for the sub was in the next room. Sound physics are loving weird.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I recently bought a house that has speakers installed into the living room and kitchen walls. They were being controlled by a very old receiver which didn't seem to work anymore anyway. I'm interested in getting something new to replace it, but specifically would like something that I can basically use to stream from my phone or computer via WiFi. If I'm not being clear here's a crappy visual diagram

code:
Speakers_____(speaker cable)____**Mystery Device** - - - - - - - (wifi connection) - - - - - - Phone/Computer
Any ideas / recommendations?

Kloaked00 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 9, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kloaked00 posted:

I recently bought a house that has speakers installed into the living room and kitchen walls. They were being controlled by a very old receiver which didn't seem to work anymore anyway. I'm interested in getting something new to replace it, but specifically would like something that I can basically use to stream from my phone or computer via WiFi. If I'm not being clear here's a crappy visual diagram

code:
Speakers_____(speaker cable)____**Mystery Device** - - - - - - - (wifi connection) - - - - - - Phone/Computer
Any ideas / recommendations?

well if your receiver is broken then you're gonna need a new one. or an amp + streaming device.
What receiver was there? if it's a 70v system then you're likely gonna need a separate amp and streaming devices.

Sonos is always a good option. Lots of receivers have bluetooth build in nowadays, and for anything else there's always a google chromecast.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Chromecast audios are currently on sale for $15: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Chromecast-Audio-WiFi-Audio-Streaming-Latest-Model/223165576178?hash=item33f5b473f2:g:n60AAOSwAvJW~DO~

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I recently upgraded to a Denon X1500 and after running the Audyssey setup I find the dialogue to be quiet to the point where it's hard to make out sometimes. I find that I have to boost the center channel by about 5db to get to a reasonable volume, anyone else have similar experiences or is there maybe something wrong with my setup?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Incessant Excess posted:

I recently upgraded to a Denon X1500 and after running the Audyssey setup I find the dialogue to be quiet to the point where it's hard to make out sometimes. I find that I have to boost the center channel by about 5db to get to a reasonable volume, anyone else have similar experiences or is there maybe something wrong with my setup?

Some of the listening modes (the surround modes afaik) there is a setting in "Audio" to change the dialog level. Mine was set to -2.5dB by default. There might be individual settings for each listening mode.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

taqueso posted:

Some of the listening modes (the surround modes afaik) there is a setting in "Audio" to change the dialog level. Mine was set to -2.5dB by default. There might be individual settings for each listening mode.

While I did not find a dialogue setting, there was something related to center volume in the surround parameters which was set to -7.5dB, presumably because of Audyssey, changing that makes the audio more center heavy. I wonder if some surround tracks are just mix in a way where it is not intended to be consumed in an apartment? Because when I set my X1500 to a volume setting of -30dB, the dialogue is easily understandable and the mix sounds great but big action scenes are loud to a point where I'm afraid my neighbors are gonna complain.

EDIT: Another thing I noticed was in RDR2, when a character was talking to me and I turned the camera so the dialogue would come from front left/right rather than center, the dialogue actually got louder which feels like it shouldn't happen that way.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 10, 2018

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Incessant Excess posted:

While I did not find a dialogue setting, there was something related to center volume in the surround parameters which was set to -7.5dB, presumably because of Audyssey, changing that makes the audio more center heavy. I wonder if some surround tracks are just mix in a way where it is not intended to be consumed in an apartment? Because when I set my X1500 to a volume setting of -30dB, the dialogue is easily understandable and the mix sounds great but big action scenes are loud to a point where I'm afraid my neighbors are gonna complain.

EDIT: Another thing I noticed was in RDR2, when a character was talking to me and I turned the camera so the dialogue would come from front left/right rather than center, the dialogue actually got louder which feels like it shouldn't happen that way.

You may want to use the dynamic range controls. At a minimum the "normal" mode will keep the dynamic jumps from being too crazy

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Incessant Excess posted:

RDR2 has some options within the game to tell it if you've got a surround system and how your speakers are aligned, maybe that's got something to do with it? If the problem seems isolated to that anyway

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I have an X4000 so I grabbed your manual. If you look on page 145, it has info about the surround parameters, which includes 'dialog control' that seems like the thing (for surround sources). Also check out the dialog normalization setting.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you search around AVSforums or similar places, you can probably find a thread where they dissect all the terms and tell you what does what precisely. I remember finding one when I first got my X4000

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

taqueso posted:

I have an X4000 so I grabbed your manual. If you look on page 145, it has info about the surround parameters, which includes 'dialog control' that seems like the thing (for surround sources). Also check out the dialog normalization setting.

I have looked into this and the setting you mentioned unfortunately is only available for DTS.X signals the manual says, I feel like dialogue is quieter than I'd like it to be on a variety of audio codecs. From looking around more it seems that there isn't necessarily anything "wrong" with my center channel but rather the mix is such that it would appropriate for a house but not necessarily for an apartment. I'll try boosting the center channel by a couple of dB.

A more general question since I added two front Atmos speakers today (on top of my speakers, firing towards the ceiling), am I right in understanding that those speakers are only active when playing Atmos or DTS.X codec stuff and do nothing in all other scenarios? For example, when using TrueHD, DTS-HD or Dolby Surround, they are completely inactive?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The simple fact is 80% or more of all movie audio is mixed to the center channel so turning it up will just make the explosions louder. Some things I've seen that have helped [bear with me]: moving the center to the front edge of the furniture, getting rid of your coffee table, adding rugs, etc. since reflections can feel like they're actually garbling the sound.

One piece of good news on the horizon is that Dolby AC-4 has dedicated dialog volume level control. I don't think it's really in use yet, though.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 11, 2018

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Does anyone have a recommendation on upward firing atmos speakers that aren't bullshit expensive?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

weaaddar posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on upward firing atmos speakers that aren't bullshit expensive?
Upgrade your LCR? I'm not sold on "bounce" speakers, the angles seem like they'd have a really narrow number of distances to work properly. If you must the Jamo S8 are $150-200/pair.

Fun fact: speaker companies have to give Dolby money if the want to use their proprietary 21 degree angle.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What if it's 21.1 with a +0.0/-0.1 tolerance?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I say just install in-ceiling speakers. Even if you live in an apartment :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

I say just install in-ceiling speakers. Even if you live in an apartment :colbert:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Incessant Excess posted:

I have looked into this and the setting you mentioned unfortunately is only available for DTS.X signals the manual says, I feel like dialogue is quieter than I'd like it to be on a variety of audio codecs. From looking around more it seems that there isn't necessarily anything "wrong" with my center channel but rather the mix is such that it would appropriate for a house but not necessarily for an apartment. I'll try boosting the center channel by a couple of dB.

I've run into this a ton, my solution on my Yamaha reciever was to set Dialogue Level to +3, the enhancer is on, adaptive DRC on, and I still had to manually set the center channel to +3.5db to get it where I wanted. The Yamaha has a Pure Direct mode that bypasses most of the adjustments and I'll use that on proper physical BR discs using DTS but for TV watching and other content I need that center channel boost and the options enabled.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Panty Saluter posted:

Is Atmos really even worth it, or is this just another 7.1 (aka not worth the logistics of implementing it)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Need some help. We have a reciever with two tower speakers and a center speaker. The setup in our room is that I don't give a crap if it ever sounds like surround sound because we can't parse it anyway. We watch Netflix through Chromecast

I've found that setting the audio output on Netflix to stereo, and using my receiver's auto surround emulation, makes it sound much better than having Netflix send the audio as 5.1 surround (which it defaults to). I have to change this every time because Netflix's app is getting some sort of signal from the receiver that surround sound is available and so it defaults to it after every episode of a show I watch.

I've determined it is impossible to fix on Netflix's side, so is there anything I should be looking for setting's wise on my receiver to just say "use stereo always"? Not even sure the right words to google.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Does your receiver have room correction? You might want to use that so it doesn't sound like garbage.

Also, what type of receiver is it? Every company tends to have their own menu settings and quirks.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My mom asked for some sort of way to listen to music or the radio in multiple rooms at the same time, so that she can apparently wander around the house or something and not carry a radio with her. I think the easiest way to do this is just to buy a few Chromecast Audios and some speakers to match with it. Does this sound right? Any recommendations on single bookshelf speakers to pair with each? They are just going to sit on a table or countertop somewhere.

The whole system has to be pretty old lady proof, which from what I've read it seems to be once I can set it up.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

My mom asked for some sort of way to listen to music or the radio in multiple rooms at the same time, so that she can apparently wander around the house or something and not carry a radio with her. I think the easiest way to do this is just to buy a few Chromecast Audios and some speakers to match with it. Does this sound right? Any recommendations on single bookshelf speakers to pair with each? They are just going to sit on a table or countertop somewhere.

The whole system has to be pretty old lady proof, which from what I've read it seems to be once I can set it up.

Sonos definitely seems like it would work for you.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

wandler20 posted:

Sonos definitely seems like it would work for you.

That does look good, but I know she is leery of trying to use an app to control stuff. Is it simple in practice? One reason I was leaning towards Chromecast because I just add it to her network and it should just pop up a Cast button on stuff that she already uses. I also have a free Google Home Mini that I add to it as well but I'm not sure if that would help or just be confusing to her.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don’t see any reason to go with Sonos when she can save a lot of money with the chromecast audio approach.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've never messed with the chromecast stuff much but yeah, that would probably be more cost effective. I just suggested Sonos because you plug the speaker in, connect it to your wifi, go to the app and play. It's incredibly easy to group your speakers together. Very straight forward and easy for someone who might not understand casting easily.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sonos is definitely more mom-friendly technology than chromecast.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't think it's really that much easier as long as her wifi is strong throughout the house, but maybe the Sonos set ups I've used were hacky.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My mom uses her Chromecast just fine.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

qirex posted:

Sonos is definitely more mom-friendly technology than chromecast.

I thought so. It's two devices, speaker and phone. No middle man needed. Or do they make speakers with Chromecast abilities?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If the receiver for the speakers is always on the chromecast input then it is also just speaker and phone.

I'm not sure what all is offered but I have a Vizio soundbar with chromecast built in.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Hey, I'm just setting up a home cinema in my first house and I'm pretty new to audio stuff, video I get since it's pretty easy.
Right now I've got a projector mounted to the rear of my room. It's connected to a media pc which has is doing basically all my content driving via HDMI

Audio is my issue, right now I'm using the garbage built in speakers in the projector but I know I need to up my game and get 3.1 or something setup.
My first throught was running digital audio from the pc around the room to a receiver at the front then octopus speaker wire to the 3 front speakers and sub. But I'm not really sure I need a receiver for just audio? Can I get something which is cheaper like a beefed up DAC instead? If I save money on the receiver I can spend it on better speakers is my thinking.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Computer -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI -> Projector

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

I don't want to run HDMI from the back of my room to the front, then back again if possible....
I suppose I could move the pc, but then I'd not be able to hide it behind the sofa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Keep the receiver in the back and run the speaker cables to the front?

Edit: and if you're concerned about budget, get 2.1 and better speakers over 3.1.