Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Slider posted:

Picked up DQ11 during the steam sale and I'm having a blast so far. I've never played any DQ games but I've played many FF titles and they're similiar obviously. The old school turned based battling so refreshing, the last FF game I played was 15 and wasn't a huge fan of the action combat.

I'm like 25ish hours in and just finished the snow town area. I regret not enabling any draconian options for sure, this game is extremely easy and I am intentionally going out of my way to avoid monster battles. I feel like I would enjoy the game much more If i had to actually grind a tiny bit and min/max gear, and if there was any threat whatsoever from random mosters, or even really boss battles for that matter. I have not died a single time so far.

If you're feeling that way already, I would recommend restarting and turning some on. You're not that far in and it probably won't take you 25 hours to get back to where you are, even with Super Strong Monsters on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Does the game get any more difficult later on with no draconian settings?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I had trouble with some of the act 3 bosses but nothing too significant, there was really only one fight the whole game I died on more than once and it was in the second act.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I got flattened by my first two act 3 bosses but that's because I went in at about right after act 2 not realizing how much stronger they'd all be :v:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

Finally playing DQ V and just finished the first chapter...

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

Oh my. Did no one tell you that DQV, good as it is, is terribly depressing? The writers straight up hate the main character.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
At the start I really wish I had chosen harder monsters and No Exp From Weak Enemies but once I pressed on, I really just enjoyed the breezy atmosphere. There wasnt much threat so I know I could sit down for any amount of time and just unwind without worrying about playing optimally.

My screenshot folder on PS4 for this game is well over half a gig too, I took so many pictures of beautiful landscapes, cool buildings, cozy rooms or just lines I really liked.

This game is a warm blanket and a cool beverage, in a way I had never gotten from a Dragon Quest before

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Slider posted:

It can, but very very gradually. Earlier in the game there are a couple of notorious roadblocks that can still give you trouble on normal. Just avoid most encounters and the game is well challenging enough, it just takes a while for it to sort of ramp up the difficulty.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
For some reason I've always enjoyed grinding in DQ until I'm overpowered :shrug:

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Flavius Aetass posted:

For some reason I've always enjoyed grinding in DQ until I'm overpowered :shrug:

It's the age old question of balancing difficulty in jRPGs. Level the enemies with the player? Cheese the mechanics? Or just let the play carve their own path of awesome.

Ohhh!?

Climb aboard big fella!

I had to hunt down and kill 114 of these fatboys before I could finally bring Sammo H. into my party. Weee!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Flavius Aetass posted:

I don't know what it is about DQ, but I can grind in it far more than I can in any other RPG. I'll often find myself bee-lining for the new monsters just to see what they are and if they drop anything good.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

HPanda posted:

Oh my. Did no one tell you that DQV, good as it is, is terribly depressing? The writers straight up hate the main character.

They seem to hate most main characters at least a little when you look at them all in a row and what their stories are. But they despise the one from V.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Well, Dragon Quest is always about the Hero's journey so the DQV protagonist simply can't have a great time of it

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

A Dragon Quest newb draws near!

Thanks for asking the question and thanks everyone for the great responses. Helped me to think through how I want to get started in this series too.

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

Slider posted:

You can use Cheat Engine to turn Draconian modes on/off with this table. Just toggle the pointer and save and it should stick.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Bunch of new Builders 2 stuff revealed.

https://youtu.be/Hiukf7cwi-Q

1:32:10 for the overview trailer. Getting NPCs to build blueprints for you seems pretty sweet.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

demo's out on japan stores

the dynasty warriors people worked on this????

this running animation is amazing

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 6, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I didn't know it was so close to release. Kinda glad the US release date hasn't been set, I've got hand surgery coming next month.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Dragon Quest III on iOS. Is there a way to see item descriptions? This store has an apron for 700g and I have no idea what it’s for or how to figure that out. I’m trying to avoid spoilers so I don’t want to just look up an item list online.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

doingitwrong posted:

Dragon Quest III on iOS. Is there a way to see item descriptions? This store has an apron for 700g and I have no idea what it’s for or how to figure that out. I’m trying to avoid spoilers so I don’t want to just look up an item list online.

First tap shows who in your party can equip it and what effect it has on your attack/defense. Any more than that has never been explicitly stated within the game in any version of DQ3.
To answer your real question though, the Iron Apron is armor for merchants. Nothing more.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks! I was confused by it being available from an item shop.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Dragon Quest XI I need some conceptual help with an early boss fight. I’m in the desert fighting the Slayer of Sands. I’m level 14 and playing with hard monsters turned on. Up until now that’s been fun. The Slayer has an attack that one shots Veronica and puts other party members to very low. Since it acts twice when it gets control, it often follows that up with one of the AoEs and then kills two or more members. Both my hero and Serena heal for, like, 30 health so when it AoEs the party for 30+ damage we’re pretty much permanently in the hole. So it seems like to win I need to crowd control this thing. But Erik putting it to sleep is immediately undone by Sylvando waking it up with a piddling attack (this fight would be easier if he was gone) and Serena’s Dazzle almost never lands. (It’s so rare that I gave up on it until I saw someone online suggest it as a strategy.) Which means that most of the time the spell is 3 MP, skip your turn. What am I doing wrong? Would gaining a level make a difference? Should I not be taking this much damage, so I should go back and get more gear? I did manage to win the fight once but with all my party but one dead, so they would have been permanently out of balance level wise. I suspect there’s things I should learn here.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It sounds like your biggest mistake is you're playing on hard mode and weren't willing to take a win for a win. You can always just level up your party members that died until they catch up. If it bothers you that they aren't all the same level you could always intentionally kill off a character and then catch up the others.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Nvm, I misread something. Ignore me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish I set DQXI to hard monsters. I mean bosses are a little bit tough and I'm avoiding fights to avoid xp, but I'm in act two and just poo poo on everything.

E: also I'm in act two and don't even have forty hours while some people are saying they did orb 6 at 60 hours... Am I loving this up? I'm skipping the monsters because they're too easy, but I'm pretty sure I've got every shiny and chest and did all the side quests. I've been methodical, talked to people. Idgi.

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 11, 2018

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Nep-Nep posted:

It sounds like your biggest mistake is you're playing on hard mode and weren't willing to take a win for a win. You can always just level up your party members that died until they catch up. If it bothers you that they aren't all the same level you could always intentionally kill off a character and then catch up the others.

Thanks. That makes sense and I’ll remember it for the future. As it turns out my stubbornness was rewarded and I had a fight with a couple good RNG hits of Dazzle and Peps (while the boss performed a few less AoEs) which let me make it to the end with the full party alive.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Does anyone know where I can find footage of the 3DS retro bonus dungeons? Project COE has some, but it didn't really go in depth through them.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

doingitwrong posted:

Dragon Quest XI I need some conceptual help with an early boss fight. I’m in the desert fighting the Slayer of Sands. I’m level 14 and playing with hard monsters turned on. Up until now that’s been fun. The Slayer has an attack that one shots Veronica and puts other party members to very low. Since it acts twice when it gets control, it often follows that up with one of the AoEs and then kills two or more members. Both my hero and Serena heal for, like, 30 health so when it AoEs the party for 30+ damage we’re pretty much permanently in the hole. So it seems like to win I need to crowd control this thing. But Erik putting it to sleep is immediately undone by Sylvando waking it up with a piddling attack (this fight would be easier if he was gone) and Serena’s Dazzle almost never lands. (It’s so rare that I gave up on it until I saw someone online suggest it as a strategy.) Which means that most of the time the spell is 3 MP, skip your turn. What am I doing wrong? Would gaining a level make a difference? Should I not be taking this much damage, so I should go back and get more gear? I did manage to win the fight once but with all my party but one dead, so they would have been permanently out of balance level wise. I suspect there’s things I should learn here.

I did that fight at lvl 16, that area right before him has Metal Slimes so if you find 2-3 metal slime fights you should be good to go. Dazzle and Poison are the status effects of choice. And yes in Hardmode your party will often just barely survive, it's ok if not everyone has the same XP. In hardmode I probably got down to a single party member on 5 or 6 bosses starting at Dorian Grey.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 11, 2018

Jewmander
Sep 12, 2007

You called down
the thunder... now
reap the whirlwind

lets hang out posted:

demo's out on japan stores

the dynasty warriors people worked on this????

this running animation is amazing

There's really not much to it but it does give you a sense of the intended scale and improved movement they're going for, with how many materials drop and how much faster it is to collect them. I just hope placing blocks becomes easier, beyond just having NPCs help with blueprints. The bulletin board photos are already pretty outstanding.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I am leading a gay pride parade to a monster's lair in an effort to bring back joy to the world. This is basically the best.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, that's not what I expected the final boss to look like.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yo it just dawned on me that DQXI has a Mermaid who calls herself Shelly. https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/mermaid-shelly/5/

I was gonna let gooniversity slide as a coincidence but man i dunno now. did goons work on this localization?

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 13, 2018

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Goo puns are old as dirt.

I liked the rhyming stuff though with the mermaids. That must have been a bitch to localize.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

LorneReams posted:

I liked the rhyming stuff though with the mermaids. That must have been a bitch to localize.

Almost all the speech gimmicks are unique to the English versions. You'll have the odd dialects in the Japanese versions but nothing on the level of rhyming mermaids or the Haiku speak in Hotto.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Supposedly Yuji Horii's whimsical writing style is virtually untranslatable, so the puns and accents and so forth introduced in localization are the attempt to convey a similar mood.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

doingitwrong posted:

As a warning: You're not going to keep your characters evenly leveled, even if nobody ever dies again.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Legit hoping a DQ rep makes it in to smash

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Calaveron posted:

Legit hoping a DQ rep makes it in to smash

Yangus please

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Yangus please

As much as I want this I feel like Torneko would be both more recognizable and more interesting.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah but I'd really like it if it was Sylvando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
In a world where this happens it would have to be a dq11 rep anyways but hell I'll take Sylvando gladly.

Monkey's paw curls and its just the 11 protag and he's another Marth clone