Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

I know -- but "post your models" is the common pejorative in this thread for disagreement.

I misread -- Strobe was the one talking about a buff

I'd rather err on the side of "yes, they do and that person just doesn't like fun mechanics" (like whoever came up with soulburst).

In fluff, they're still coming off well. They got a game. They got a kill team box. Those things can't be said for all factions. Someone clearly still cares

We typically only tell people to post their models when they're being a dumbass and they don't play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Rules with resolutions of "well nothing loving happens" are boring and unfun, hence why chopping down drones is such a mind-numbing experience.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Crisis Suit assault buff was definitely me. Having horrifically lovely melee army wide is a major part of what makes castling attractive, because it just cuts that entire part of the game out. I don't think it's an unreasonable conclusion that making some T'au units better at melee would remove some of the massive incentive to turtle up.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

I know -- but "post your models" is the common pejorative in this thread for disagreement.

No, it's for when someone repeatedly never knows what the gently caress they're talking about but they always speak as if they have authority.

Theorycrafters that have never played a single game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

We typically only tell people to post their models when they're being a dumbass and they don't play

I'm going to probate anyone who does that from now on. It derails the thread and contributes nothing to the conversation.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm going to probate anyone who does that from now on. It derails the thread and contributes nothing to the conversation.

Post your models.

They're cool models. :3:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Booley posted:

I'm a dumbass and don't play, put I do post my models, so this statement holds true. Apologies in advance.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Strobe posted:

Crisis Suit assault buff was definitely me. Having horrifically lovely melee army wide is a major part of what makes castling attractive, because it just cuts that entire part of the game out. I don't think it's an unreasonable conclusion that making some T'au units better at melee would remove some of the massive incentive to turtle up.

There are ways to discourage castling without buffing Tau in CC. The emphasis on castling comes almost completely from how the FtGG rule works (and the rest comes from auras), where you benefit from having many units packed together to make just ridiculously withering OW for an army that's otherwise really mobile.

E: and also because until the CA18 changes, their mobile units were p. bad outside the commander

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Ask me about losing a knight with a 3++ to FTGG.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

That role could be better given to kroot, a unit that doesn't currently have a whole lot of reason to take. Making crisis suits good at all things won't really make the game any more interesting.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Two Beans posted:

No, it's for when someone repeatedly never knows what the gently caress they're talking about but they always speak as if they have authority.

Theorycrafters that have never played a single game.

Not sure how anyone remembers who these people are, but I just got back in 9 months ago after quitting in the early days of 7th

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Pendent posted:

Ask me about losing a knight with a 3++ to FTGG.

Was it full health at the time because uh what happened

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Was it full health at the time because uh what happened

16 wounds or so. I'll dig up a picture of what I was dealing with because I'm still salty.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

16 wounds or so. I'll dig up a picture of what I was dealing with because I'm still salty.

There's two fusion commanders up there who rolled decently well.

Also note the horde of Intercessors valiantly rushing toward the worlds most frustrating castle, one that was so packed with models I couldn't charge anything.

I refuse to use that particularly piece of terrain anymore.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Pendent posted:

Also note the horde of Intercessors valiantly rushing toward the worlds most frustrating castle, one that was so packed with models I couldn't charge anything.

Just imagine a pie plate and ask yourself why it's not a thing anymore.

But honestly, I probably would have done my best to ignore it and bore them to death by camping objectives behind LOS-blocking cover, if any existed, and taken an unsatisfying win on VP

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

Just imagine a pie plate and ask yourself why it's not a thing anymore.

But honestly, I probably would have done my best to ignore it and bore them to death by camping objectives behind LOS-blocking cover, if any existed, and taken an unsatisfying win on VP

It was a terrible Open War mission and the only objective was on his side of the table, so far away that my Intercessors couldn't reach them in time. This was actually one of my least favorite games of 40k I've played.

Also, for the peanut gallery, please note that the holes in the models up there are all due to me focusing for multiple turns on killing drones before trying to make my knight reach up there with his chainsword.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

It was a terrible Open War mission and the only objective was on his side of the table, so far away that my Intercessors couldn't reach them in time. This was actually one of my least favorite games of 40k I've played.

Open war is garbage over 500pts

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

This was actually one of my least favorite games of 40k I've played.
Playing_Against_Tau.txt

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Maneck posted:

The one with the blue hat is the new lieutenant sculpt?

It was an event exclusive.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Open war is garbage over 500pts
It may surprise you to learn that this was the last time I've used Open War.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Pendent posted:

Also i think that’s illegal model placement unless you guys are not considering that a ruin. But I’ve been taking a break from playing so I could very well be wrong.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
The tau stuff has fly so that is legal.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Pendent posted:

How did you see past his raging erection once you rolled the mission?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man I miss pie plate ordnance when I see models stacked like that.

If they are adamant about not bringing them back then maybe units within 3”-6” of a targeted unit should take some sort of splash damage too. Would prevent these silly little castles.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

This came up somewhere else so might as well clarify now:

All units can move vertically, per the Movement rules. They are required to do so in fact, so if you have a box you want to move over you should technically measure .5" up and .5" down or whatever, although most people ignore this.

Ruins have a couple of specific rules:

VEHICLES, MONSTERS and BIKES can only end their move on the ground floor unless they have FLY.

INFANTRY can move through walls and floors as if they weren't there.

Battlesuits have BATTLESUIT, not VEHICLE, MONSTER, or BIKE, so they could legally end their move on the upper floor of a ruin regardless of having FLY, although they'd have to account for any walls/floors which might get in their way. Also, you can deploy stuff with VEHICLE, MONSTER, or BIKE on the upper level of a ruin, they just can't move unless they're able to completely leave the upper floor. I checked and this was FAQed.

This also means that e.g. Knights or Rhinos or whatever aren't blocked in by a couple of boxes or the edge of a ruin, they just need to have enough vertical movement to not finish their move above the ground level (in fact in the case of boxes, not even that).

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

On this subject, Post Your Models!

In the same spirit was Walker Weekend or Show Some Character, let's have a year-end Post Your Models - show off stuff you painted in 2018. It's up to you what you want to post - just the stuff you're most proud of, or every goddamn dude down to the last 3pt Gretchin. Tell us what you were painting and why - did you have a project for the year you wanted to complete, or you got super excited about new releases, or you're an insane hobby idiot who's painted 200+ models this year because you're constantly chasing the meta?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth that stuff was all deployed up there because this was literally the dumbest mission in the entire world. It's true all of it could have made it up there on their own power just fine though.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Really, I played Eldar back in 2nd/3rd when their best template was a small blast for the d-cannon, and I got reamed by indirect fire basilisks enough that I was happy to see them go, but there's got to be a better way to punish this.

I don't want "turn the template any way you feel like" flamers back, but I do want a way to deal with 20 chaff models bubble wrapping a daemon prince, ridiculous castles (even as a DA player who tries to cram as much as possible around Azrael+darkshroud+LT), and other nonsense. I don't care whether orbital strike, falling stars, and similar abilities get some kind of huge buff which doesn't warrant carrying around templates.

"My hellflamer/blightspawn gets 6 hits against your charging character" and "my basilisk only does 2 hits to your castle" are equally stupid.

I'm not gonna pretend that 40k is an approximation of an actual battlefield or anything, but gimme options.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Corrode posted:

In the same spirit was Walker Weekend or Show Some Character, let's have a year-end Post Your Models - show off stuff you painted in 2018. It's up to you what you want to post - just the stuff you're most proud of, or every goddamn dude down to the last 3pt Gretchin. Tell us what you were painting and why - did you have a project for the year you wanted to complete, or you got super excited about new releases, or you're an insane hobby idiot who's painted 200+ models this year because you're constantly chasing the meta?

It's too early for this!!!

I still have time until the end of the year! You can't make me!

30k thread :toxx: photos incoming last week of December. I'll photo all the other poo poo I painted too this year when I bust out the gear.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Really, I played Eldar back in 2nd/3rd when their best template was a small blast for the d-cannon, and I got reamed by indirect fire basilisks enough that I was happy to see them go, but there's got to be a better way to punish this.

I don't want "turn the template any way you feel like" flamers back, but I do want a way to deal with 20 chaff models bubble wrapping a daemon prince, ridiculous castles (even as a DA player who tries to cram as much as possible around Azrael+darkshroud+LT), and other nonsense. I don't care whether orbital strike, falling stars, and similar abilities get some kind of huge buff which doesn't warrant carrying around templates.

"My hellflamer/blightspawn gets 6 hits against your charging character" and "my basilisk only does 2 hits to your castle" are equally stupid.

I'm not gonna pretend that 40k is an approximation of an actual battlefield or anything, but gimme options.

The only option is to not play with scrubs that pull that poo poo.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Man I miss pie plate ordnance when I see models stacked like that.

If they are adamant about not bringing them back then maybe units within 3”-6” of a targeted unit should take some sort of splash damage too. Would prevent these silly little castles.

Imo they should just reduce things that promote bunching up units. Get rid of most auras unless it's fluffy like priests and move most of it to an orders system like ig have. Get rid of ftgg too. Death to clown cars.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Corrode posted:

I'll start Post My Models Shame. I mostly painted Infinity this year, but I've committed myself to working through 20000 pts of 40k backlog now that I'm playing again, so I stop being that guy who brings out grey/primed plastic if I play anything other than Necrons.

The camera on my phone also appears to be a potato that can't figure out depth of field properly. Mostly shots of Infinity, which nobody here cares about, and wide angle shots of my shame pile.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 13, 2018

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Last week I had a game of my orks v a friend's T'au. Out of two battle wagons and a squigoth with evil suns as kulture, a single wagon got in a charge with two wounds left after just rolls an rolls an rolls of overwatch, stacking markers, auras, strats not even getting into the stuff he forgot because there was just so much I don't blame the dude we get like a two games a month if that.

Everyone so far raised good ideas how to help make t'au little less dive into the over watch castle an pray because it feels like that unless you out gun them somehow. The only unit that did jack was a wagon with 20 rockets flying out.

T'au feel very left field of every other army.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I painted quite a bit this year.

Old Metal Eldrad - painted this for a friend. His first army was Eldar and he decided to shrink down to just a single army, since he doesn't play anymore. He sold off his Eldar save for this model, and asked me to paint it for him as a keepsake.

Some Bloodletters on Lava Bases. I briefly tried to play AoS this year, but decided it just wasn't for me. I was really happy with how these lava bases turned out though.

Yvraine. I briefly tried out Eldar & Harlequins this year. Also decided they weren't really for me.

Shield Captain on Jetbike

I also painted a ton of terrain this year for a friend to use for Kill Team.

Two Taranis Armigers that went with my AdMech army, that I sold off.

An AdMech assassin, which I still have! It's a display piece.

Trajann Valoris as a display piece.

A Hawk Lord I just painted for fun.

The first of my Ultramarines, A Lieutenant. I'm actually working on making them all first company and finishing these.

Robute Guilliman, part of my Ultramarines army.

Some more Ultramarines and some Scouts. Used these guys as a Kill Team and also part of my main army.

My Imperial Knights Army. I started off by painting my Gallant and liked the idea of a grouping of freeblades fighting under a common banner, led by a freeblade of high standing.

Lady Cambria the Extolled, Knight Gallant. Last of her house, the bell is from her fallen keep. She strapped the bronze bell to her carapace to toll her presence on the battlefield, drawing her enemies faster to the slaughter. I think this is the best model I've ever painted.

Sir Frederick the Bellicose, Knight Crusader.

The Sun King, Knight Valiant.

Some House Cawdor guys i'm working on as the House Guard for The Sun King.

Two Repulsors I completed for my Ultramarines the other day.

Not pictured: More terrain, my two Armigers Helverins.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
When GW was doing prerelease hype for the Tau Codex, they had a game and interview on their twitch stream. They had the guy who wrote the codex play as Tau and he said he was excited to play, because he had never played a game as Tau. That does support it being a required goal to meet instead of something a studio member has passion for.

Tau was my first army and I probably have something insane like 20k points worth, but everything else is more fun to play as or against, so I'm a little bitter about having this terrible hate pile of models that don't get played.

I think the new missions are going to help a lot. Being forced to actually play objectives missions for the objectives makes castles a lot less viable. Meanwhile, I'm just going to live and love the nom life as nids.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

You're really loving talented. I love that Crusader. Next to the other heraldric Knight from a couple of pages ago, it makes painting knights look super fulfilling.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Zuul the Cat posted:

Two Repulsors I completed for my Ultramarines the other day.

Those red gun-casings...

:agesilaus:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

SpikeMcclane posted:

When GW was doing prerelease hype for the Tau Codex, they had a game and interview on their twitch stream. They had the guy who wrote the codex play as Tau and he said he was excited to play, because he had never played a game as Tau. That does support it being a required goal to meet instead of something a studio member has passion for.

That is one take. Another is, "He wrote an entire army book without a play test."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
As God is my witness I'm actually going to play a loving game before the year ends.

I finally have a thousand points of my self-made chapter painted up in wysiwyg. All that's left for my 1500 Point list is 3 inscepters and oh my God I loving hate them I hate them so much why do they have to be so loving good relative to other Space Marine models?

Doing that instead of painting these and scepters will finally be the motivation I need to actually play a game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

evol262 posted:

I need to read who I'm replying to. Obviously you don't play Tau. You don't play.

But no. I said "Tau" because crisis suits don't need an assault buff, and they are Tau, not auxiliaries.

Tau literally got a (bad) video game. They are not unloved

Like 20 years ago??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thank jesus/emperor we have an active mod in this thread now