Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Piell posted:

Maybe gently caress off with your concern trolling though

It’s not concern trolling to point out it’s entirely possible this is a coincidence. I can’t judge the actual odds of the coincidence since I don’t know enough, but there’s no reason for us to let our imaginations run wild when there’s already lots of good evidence of bad poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
At the very least the $25m inauguration expenditure that is so out of line with previous inaugurations suggests that someone violated government procurement rules, though I'm guessing that poo poo happens all the time and no one cares.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Smeef posted:

At the very least the $25m inauguration expenditure that is so out of line with previous inaugurations suggests that someone violated government procurement rules, though I'm guessing that poo poo happens all the time and no one cares.

I think (and I don't care to actually confirm) that the inauguration committees are private, donation funded organizations, so there's no government spending rules that they could run afoul of.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Maybe Three Doors Down and Ravi Drums we’re in such high demand that Trump had to seriously overpay. Ever think of that?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Squalid posted:

It’s not concern trolling to point out it’s entirely possible this is a coincidence. I can’t judge the actual odds of the coincidence since I don’t know enough, but there’s no reason for us to let our imaginations run wild when there’s already lots of good evidence of bad poo poo.

Giving Trump the benefit of the doubt with regards to having not committed a crime is stupid

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

They, and to an extent I, are not even suggesting it's a coincidence - of course Trump did a crime. He does lots. I'm just saying it's a """coincidence"""

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So on a scale of 10 to 11 how hella illegal is that?

It's actually very cool and very legal.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
at this point, assuming the bad poo poo is the most logical conclusion, and attempting to suspend judgement given the way things have gone is pure idealistic naivete

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
My guess is that the 26 mil payment to Melania's friend has more to do with the actual investigation than the Hargrove thing. Seems more like the usual chance for grift. I just wouldn't be surprised at "eh, gently caress it, let's just say it was something else or lie about the numbers" being the actual logic employed.

And of course,

Lemming posted:

Giving Trump the benefit of the doubt with regards to having not committed a crime is stupid
so why not both, etc.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Those spoon-playing Youtubers charged a fortune for Fight Song.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1073351778014511104

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/geoffgarin/status/1073224769313611776

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe Three Doors Down and Ravi Drums we’re in such high demand that Trump had to seriously overpay. Ever think of that?

I mean, if I had $25 million to spend, and 3 Doors Down said they wanted 20 of that, and the next act on the list willing to play the Inauguration was Puddle of Mudd, I’d pay the 20

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trump got owned by the GOP-majority Senate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unfortunately, that die hard concrete 38% are the people who show up to vote and elect presidents while democrats sit at home and pine for Super Bernie Sanders Turbo Game of the Year Edition Remastered, so don’t count Trump out just yet.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Don't Chief of Staffs need to have security clearance? Seems like a bit of an issue for old Kushner

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Don't Chief of Staffs need to have security clearance? Seems like a bit of an issue for old Kushner

Trump pissed and screeched until everyone decided Kush’s security clearance was another thing that didn’t matter, so he’s cool now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

nine-gear crow posted:

Trump pissed and screeched until everyone decided Kush’s security clearance was another thing that didn’t matter, so he’s cool now.

Yeah, I'm gonna guess that some Democratic lead House Committee is gonna take a look into that shitshow

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Lemming posted:

I'm not sure I even understand what you mean by benefit of the doubt here. When I see posts like this I'm reminded of this article, about how Trump supporters fall for fake news.

I often ask myself: do I believe something because I have seen a substantial body of evidence that supports and points towards an idea, or do I believe it because it feels true. the woman in the article believes the story about Michele Obama giving Trump the finger because she feels Mrs. Obama disrespects Trump and the country. The fact of the disrespect is the important thing anyway, why worry about the specific details? Trump is fundamentally corrupt and that's the important thing to get right anyway, so of course this specific $25 million that was misused in this specific way, and if it wasn't, well the essence of corruption was the real issue anyway so why worry about the specific details?

Well I think that's the wrong way to make sense of the world. I prefer to feel nothing at all about that which can be empirically verified, at least when trying to determine if it is true or not. Personally I prefer to believe as little as possible. Regarding Trump's inaugural funds, there's so many ways fraud could have been committed, or funds could have been legally abused, it's just silly to make any assumptions about specific facts without a lot more evidence than is now available.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, if I had $25 million to spend, and 3 Doors Down said they wanted 20 of that, and the next act on the list willing to play the Inauguration was Puddle of Mudd, I’d pay the 20

Ugh, can't you just skip the music at that point? Silence is objectively preferable to buttrock

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Squalid posted:

I'm not sure I even understand what you mean by benefit of the doubt here. When I see posts like this I'm reminded of this article, about how Trump supporters fall for fake news.

I often ask myself: do I believe something because I have seen a substantial body of evidence that supports and points towards an idea, or do I believe it because it feels true. the woman in the article believes the story about Michele Obama giving Trump the finger because she feels Mrs. Obama disrespects Trump and the country. The fact of the disrespect is the important thing anyway, why worry about the specific details? Trump is fundamentally corrupt and that's the important thing to get right anyway, so of course this specific $25 million that was misused in this specific way, and if it wasn't, well the essence of corruption was the real issue anyway so why worry about the specific details?

Well I think that's the wrong way to make sense of the world. I prefer to feel nothing at all about that which can be empirically verified, at least when trying to determine if it is true or not. Personally I prefer to believe as little as possible. Regarding Trump's inaugural funds, there's so many ways fraud could have been committed, or funds could have been legally abused, it's just silly to make any assumptions about specific facts without a lot more evidence than is now available.

Or, you could use pattern recognition to predict results.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I missed this loving detail

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1073329348755767303

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Spun Dog posted:

I mean, that's only enough to say it's in the realm of possibility. It's also entirely possible that a company might take 25 million but not want to advertise it's association with Trump.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

TGLT posted:

I mean, that's only enough to say it's in the realm of possibility. It's also entirely possible that a company might take 25 million but not want to advertise it's association with Trump.

I don't think this Hargrove company has anything to do with this for what that's worth. I think the 26M to Melania's buddy might be where the smoke comes from.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ripoff posted:

“poo poo! gently caress! They caught us crime-ing again! Someone do something bigoted and lovely to get the media off our tracks!”

*Pence spins the ‘Wheel of Shittiness’, and after clacking past “child prison camps” and “defunding healthcare” it clicks to “gently caress over the LGBTQ community again”*

Pretty much this has been a pretty bad couple of days for Donny Two Scoops and so of course they're taking another run at the transgender people and god drat decades old war refugees.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Squalid posted:

The difference is that no one is saying for certain that Trump misused the funds in this way. It's a conjecture that hasn't been tested. The conjecture is based on (a) Trump's demonstrable history of being a corrupt dumbass who does poo poo so blatantly illegal and (b) a few relatively strange observations about the inauguration funds. If it turns out that there's a reasonable explanation for the strange observations (e.g., Trump is in fact a poo poo negotiator and accepted the first outrageous quote that the company offered, which coincidentally was the same as his settlement) or that the observations were bullshit, then I don't think anyone in this thread is going to ignore that and say "yeah but I still feel like Trump did something wrong!"

None of that is true for the example you gave about Michelle Obama. She would still believe that nonsense even if you showed her clear evidence to the contrary.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Squalid posted:

I don't think anyone is dropping confetti in the air in the thread or anything. But given Trump's record of corruption and crime, and doing things like using charities to pay off debts etc.. This fits into a pattern of behavior and is kind of hilarious. Trump is also so bad at crimes that it's not beyond belief he was like I need 25M, bill this thing for 25M. Conservatives largely are indoctrinated with beliefs than look for data to support those beliefs, with liberals it tends to be more or less the opposite.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

Probably the safer bet, seeing as how Puddle of Mudd and Wes Scantlin in particlar have trouble getting through donestic flights without being arrested or going missing.

This is a thing that keeps happening to Wes Scantlin. I'm serious. Google it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Spun Dog posted:

I don't think this Hargrove company has anything to do with this for what that's worth. I think the 26M to Melania's buddy might be where the smoke comes from.

Oh for sure there's more likely than not something shady going on with the inauguration fund even if the Hargrove company thing is a big nothing.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Spun Dog posted:

I’m sure that would be fairly reliable for lawyers or forensic accounts specialized in financial crimes with years of experience. Two things I am not.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

The Hargrove thing seems silly to me because the only real evidence that it's murky is that the payment is large and they don't list it on their website. It's possible that some companies don't want to have 'WE DID A THING FOR TRUMP' listed, because it is (rightly) a shameful thing to admit. Then we're just left with it being large, which could just mean Trump made a bad deal. Which is clearly impossible.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Squalid posted:

He habitually commits major crimes because he's a criminal. You don't have enough evidence to say for sure any given crime was committed in a specific fashion (ie that particular payment) but I don't need to pretend that if his inauguration that was like 4x as expensive as the last one is under investigation then he 1000% committed a ton of crimes and going "uh, excuse me, sir, SIR, you don't know for SURE he committed a crime!!" is a waste of breath, time, and brain cells.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Squalid posted:

You're a manager at some retail store and a certain customer always tells you that they think they saw employee A stealing something from the till. That customer tells you this every time they visit the store.

You initially checked employee A out, even though your intuition doubted they would do such a thing. Nothing turned up. That customer still makes the accusations, and you've kept a certain amount of due diligence to check in on it, but nothing ever comes of it and everyone knows the score.

You also have a different regular customer, who tells you every visit that they saw employee B stealing. Employee B has definitely had a lot of shrinkage and short tills surrounding them. People who worked with Employee B at past jobs say they definitely have stolen poo poo from before. Hell you've even caught them red-handed before/during/after being informed by the customer that employee B is stealing. You cannot fire employee B because it breaks the framing of this metaphor.

Making assumptions about the next time the first or second employee gets ratted on is not stupid. Or at the least it's an order of magnitude less stupid than treating both with the same weight of doubts.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Squalid posted:

I’m sure that would be fairly reliable for lawyers or forensic accounts specialized in financial crimes with years of experience. Two things I am not.

You must be a lovely driver.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Crow Jane posted:

Ugh, can't you just skip the music at that point? Silence is objectively preferable to buttrock

The problem is, if you don’t play music, then you get to hear the crowd chatter

The chatter of the crowd willing to come out to celebrate Trump

nine-gear crow posted:

Probably the safer bet, seeing as how Puddle of Mudd and Wes Scantlin in particlar have trouble getting through donestic flights without being arrested or going missing.

This is a thing that keeps happening to Wes Scantlin. I'm serious. Google it.

I have, in fact, just spent several minutes reading trashy rock zines being snarky about Scantlin and it is hilarious

I like that his band walked out on him in the middle of a performance, but then showed up as normal to the next one, because I guess they’d hoped he’d learned his lesson?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The suspicious thing is that the Trump Inauguration Fund paid 5x the Obama rate to a production company, and said production company doesn't even acknowledge that they did anything.

Either the Inauguration Fund, a charity organization, didn't actually spend a quarter of their money on a production company and the claimed payment is fake - Almost Certainly What Happened - or the guys who did the Obama Inauguration quoted 5x their regular rate to Trump and are so embarrassed about the job that they won't list it as something they handled - Almost Certainly Not What Happened, But Possible.

Considering the history of the Trump Foundation and the current criminal investigation, I really don't think the $25M invoice is legit.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Crow Jane posted:

Know your audience!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I think you people are missing the obvious part of what makes this whole thing fishy.

The claim from the Trump administration is that they paid someone for work done.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

skeleton warrior posted:

The problem is, if you don’t play music, then you get to hear the crowd chatter

The chatter of the crowd willing to come out to celebrate Trump
Tbf there really wasn't much a crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think anyone is dropping confetti in the air in the thread or anything. But given Trump's record of corruption and crime, and doing things like using charities to pay off debts etc.. This fits into a pattern of behavior and is kind of hilarious. Trump is also so bad at crimes that it's not beyond belief he was like I need 25M, bill this thing for 25M. Conservatives largely are indoctrinated with beliefs than look for data to support those beliefs, with liberals it tends to be more or less the opposite.

Yeah, and notice in my first posts on this subject on the other page I was actually encouraging wild speculation about what might have happened. It's interesting and useful to explore what was going on here, which is so obviously shady. Remember the context of my comments: Piel was calling someone a troll and telling them to gently caress off for pointing out that the specific theories regarding the Hargrove were circumstantial and not yet supported by collaborating evidence. It's fun and interesting to explore what might have happen. Trying to shut people down though for being realistic however, is WRONG. We have to be able to acknowledge our own limitations. If we can't we're no different than that sad Nevada lady scrolling through brietbart in her trailer.