Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Tbf there really wasn't much a crowd
Really? I'm sure I heard from someone that it was the largest crowd in the history of presidential inaugurations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tibalt posted:

The suspicious thing is that the Trump Inauguration Fund paid 5x the Obama rate to a production company, and said production company doesn't even acknowledge that they did anything.

Either the Inauguration Fund, a charity organization, didn't actually spend a quarter of their money on a production company and the claimed payment is fake - Almost Certainly What Happened - or the guys who did the Obama Inauguration quoted 5x their regular rate to Trump and are so embarrassed about the job that they won't list it as something they handled - Almost Certainly Not What Happened, But Possible.

Considering the history of the Trump Foundation and the current criminal investigation, I really don't think the $25M invoice is legit.

How dare you proceed with these scurrilous accusations. Have you no shame. Have you no dignity. Our big wet president's honesty is unimpeachable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Grace_Segers/status/1073339417698422785

Sure gently caress it, why not. He's been everything else at this point.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Squalid posted:

Yeah, and notice in my first posts on this subject on the other page I was actually encouraging wild speculation about what might have happened. It's interesting and useful to explore what was going on here, which is so obviously shady. Remember the context of my comments: Piel was calling someone a troll and telling them to gently caress off for pointing out that the specific theories regarding the Hargrove were circumstantial and not yet supported by collaborating evidence. It's fun and interesting to explore what might have happen. Trying to shut people down though for being realistic however, is WRONG. We have to be able to acknowledge our own limitations. If we can't we're no different than that sad Nevada lady scrolling through brietbart in her trailer.

It's more that they compared Trump to George Soros in terms of being called out for crimes. Trump has very obviously committed many crimes very similar to what is speculated to have happened here. Pretending that the idea that he might have done this as well was somehow crazy is what I was annoyed about.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Sir Lemming posted:

Depends on whether homophobia alone qualifies you as conservative.

(Homophobia Alone is also the worst Home Alone sequel)

I feel like I remember Lynyrd Skynyrd at least attempting to distance themselves from the Confederate flag a few years back, although apparently they compromised and settled on a "we only read Playboy for the articles like the States' Rights part of the flag" after they realized basically their entire audience would leave them

nah, skynyrd went full bad

you’re thinking of the allman brothers

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grapplejack posted:

that seems like a really dumb move but loving who cares.

nine-gear crow posted:

Unfortunately, that die hard concrete 38% are the people who show up to vote and elect presidents while democrats sit at home and pine for Super Bernie Sanders Turbo Game of the Year Edition Remastered, so don’t count Trump out just yet.

no, there will be massive democratic turnout. we had election levels voting for the midterms. sure there will be purity types but as long as its not clinton again some how, they will get the votes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
tbh giving Jared an actual job would be a smart move

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

no one cares anymore. everyone knows they won't do anything and thats its giant dumbass game for them, hell even when they had the power to do so, they hosed about and wasted money and time.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It begins.

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1073362537998102528

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

enraged_camel posted:

Trump got owned by the GOP-majority Senate.

The House can't vote on this until January, right?

Grapplejack posted:

He's actually commanding Jared to take the job after everybody else said "no".

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 14, 2018

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

The weirdest thing to me about Q anon is it seems like most of what they accuse Democrats of doing... Trump is actually doing. Friends with a pedophile ring organizer, traitor, incompetent etc.. The amount of projection is just kind of mind blowing.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

pseudanonymous posted:

The weirdest thing to me about Q anon is it seems like most of what they accuse Democrats of doing... Trump is actually doing. Friends with a pedophile ring organizer, traitor, incompetent etc.. The amount of projection is just kind of mind blowing.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Squalid posted:

I'm not sure I even understand what you mean by benefit of the doubt here. When I see posts like this I'm reminded of this article, about how Trump supporters fall for fake news.

I often ask myself: do I believe something because I have seen a substantial body of evidence that supports and points towards an idea, or do I believe it because it feels true. the woman in the article believes the story about Michele Obama giving Trump the finger because she feels Mrs. Obama disrespects Trump and the country. The fact of the disrespect is the important thing anyway, why worry about the specific details? Trump is fundamentally corrupt and that's the important thing to get right anyway, so of course this specific $25 million that was misused in this specific way, and if it wasn't, well the essence of corruption was the real issue anyway so why worry about the specific details?

Well I think that's the wrong way to make sense of the world. I prefer to feel nothing at all about that which can be empirically verified, at least when trying to determine if it is true or not. Personally I prefer to believe as little as possible. Regarding Trump's inaugural funds, there's so many ways fraud could have been committed, or funds could have been legally abused, it's just silly to make any assumptions about specific facts without a lot more evidence than is now available.
The point where people really become vulnerable to fake news is not when they predict whether something is likely to be true based on their knowledge of the world around them. That's just common sense. It's also not when they decide to accept something without verifying it. No-one has time to verify everything. It's when they accept something without verifying it because it aligns with their worldview, and then they allow the thing they just accepted uncritically to further reinforce their worldview. I think that's an important distinction.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Tibalt posted:

or the guys who did the Obama Inauguration quoted 5x their regular rate to Trump and are so embarrassed about the job that they won't list it as something they handled - Almost Certainly Not What Happened, But Possible.

This is super possible?

People are ripping trumps name off buildings, why would you brag about that poo poo on your website?

They probably quoted high because I suspect their staff was not as happy to work for the first openly nazi manbaby president as the first black president.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tibalt posted:

The suspicious thing is that the Trump Inauguration Fund paid 5x the Obama rate to a production company, and said production company doesn't even acknowledge that they did anything.

Either the Inauguration Fund, a charity organization, didn't actually spend a quarter of their money on a production company and the claimed payment is fake - Almost Certainly What Happened - or the guys who did the Obama Inauguration quoted 5x their regular rate to Trump and are so embarrassed about the job that they won't list it as something they handled - Almost Certainly Not What Happened, But Possible.

Considering the history of the Trump Foundation and the current criminal investigation, I really don't think the $25M invoice is legit.

It is possible Hargrove quoted them an exorbitant large round price with the expectation that the committee wouldn't go with them, but then turned out that nobody else would even call back so they got the bid. Being associated with Trump is bad for business so it wouldn't be a surprise that they wouldn't feature it on the website.

But then again Trump has used "charitable" organizations to pay off his legal judgements in the past so this being a scam is quite possible.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Piell posted:

It's more that they compared Trump to George Soros in terms of being called out for crimes. Trump has very obviously committed many crimes very similar to what is speculated to have happened here. Pretending that the idea that he might have done this as well was somehow crazy is what I was annoyed about.

Fair enough, I think I read a little less into coffeetable's post than you and it just sounded like a suggestion not to let our imaginations run too wild.

I'm sensitive when I hear anyone trying to shut people out of the conversation, and I don't even really know what people mean most of the time when they throw around phrases like "concern trolling." I often ask myself what is it that separates us from the weirdos screaming Hillary for prison and fake news. Ultimately we have to be willing to check ourselves, and remember that we have to be able to distinguish that which we want to be true, from that which is. That means listening to diverse opinions, and applying critical reasoning, and not just going with what feels right. If we're too vigorous trying to shut people saying things we don't want to hear out of the conversation, group-think will set in and we risk becoming completely detached from reality.

I mean we could just all agree that Trump has committed all of the crimes, all of them, and close the thread. I think the fun part though is working out which specific crimes, and what evidence there is which prosecutors can use to convict him.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

It is possible Hargrove quoted them an exorbitant large round price with the expectation that the committee wouldn't go with them, but then turned out that nobody else would even call back so they got the bid. Being associated with Trump is bad for business so it wouldn't be a surprise that they wouldn't feature it on the website.
A friend taught me to do this when freelancing - if you really don't want the gig due to a nightmare client, quote them 4-5x your rate. Then either they take the hint, or you get a nice bottle of scotch.

Although it would be incredibly loving lol that the President who sold himself on the ability to make great deals was so toxic he paid 5x the going rate for event staff.

Squalid posted:

I mean we could just all agree that Trump has committed all of the crimes, all of them, and close the thread. I think the fun part though is working out which specific crimes, and what evidence there is which prosecutors can use to convict him.
One of the more "fascinating" parts about Trump is that he literally has committed almost all the crimes. There is nothing short of murder with his bare hands you could tell me Trump did that I would not at least credulously entertain (and then, only because I don't think his tiny, weak fingers could strangle someone)

He is an omnishambles.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

mdemone posted:

What could these targets have in common :thunk:

I'm not sure they're necessarily as focused as the MAGAbomber. One of the sites that got a threat was an office park that my company has a satellite office at. It's just random contractors, and not all of them government contractors. This may just be a random ransom bomb attempt.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Grapplejack posted:

Remember about 78 years back when he was going to fix Israel/Palestine?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/samueloakford/status/1073327406784634880

:lol: We're not even getting paid

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, my assumption based on the tweet is that Trump needed a "legit" place to say he sent $25 million instead of the settlement, so he just looked up Obama's inauguration and said "Who did he get to do his event? Just put them down"

Which would be dumb if anyone ever asked Hargrove if they happened to get a random 25m check from Donald Trump for no reason

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump and Jared are in full violation of the Antideficiency Act

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Oh holy poo poo.

So I work next to Hargrove a lot. They’re a carpentry/decor company that does the DC convention center and other big event halls. Normal company.

When the inauguration hits, it takes over the whole town in terms of staging, event management, and everything you can see from there. Them being hired is normal and contractually required for a lot of the buildings.

Was 2013 20% smaller? gently caress no it was not. It still took over the whole convention center. Nobody really got more hours in 2017 vs 2013. It’s a huge couple of weeks. But I don’t know where the other $20 million goes.

EXCEPT.

Hargrove got bought in the last year by PSAV, a national staging company. You know who owns PSAV? Bain loving Capital.

Oh my god we’re going to laugh about this forever.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/thepacketrat/status/1072894382062387200

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Easy Diff posted:

Although it would be incredibly loving lol that the President who sold himself on the ability to make great deals was so toxic he paid 5x the going rate for event staff.
One of the more "fascinating" parts about Trump is that he literally has committed almost all the crimes. There is nothing short of murder with his bare hands you could tell me Trump did that I would not at least credulously entertain (and then, only because I don't think his tiny, weak fingers could strangle someone)

He is an omnishambles.

Seriously, he's spent an entire lifetime evading taxes, committing conspiracy to evade US sanctions, mob affiliations, fraud, rape, etc, etc. It's like a cabal of Wall Street executives met at the top of the Empire States building one dark night and exercised all their vices and personal demons into a big fat sack of poo poo.

Maybe the biggest eye opener for me of his campaign is just how few crimes the IRS and FBI and cops actually catch. I mean a guy like Manafort spent years running what seems to me like the most blatant criminal enterprise imaginable, and nobody ever even looked into it until he was literally running the Republican Presidential campaign. If anyone had ever gotten around to actually looking at what these fat cats were doing they'd all have been locked away decades ago.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1073374556839006209

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Easy Diff posted:

A friend taught me to do this when freelancing - if you really don't want the gig due to a nightmare client, quote them 4-5x your rate. Then either they take the hint, or you get a nice bottle of scotch.

It is pretty universal I think, especially in contracting. It can backfire when nobody else the client calls even calls back and they end up taking your bid by default, but like you said at least you make a good return on it.

I distinctly remember that Trump was having trouble getting anyone to sign onto the inauguration so I can believe that they ended up getting soaked on the event just because they had no other choice.

Data Graham posted:

I mean, my assumption based on the tweet is that Trump needed a "legit" place to say he sent $25 million instead of the settlement, so he just looked up Obama's inauguration and said "Who did he get to do his event? Just put them down"

Which would be dumb if anyone ever asked Hargrove if they happened to get a random 25m check from Donald Trump for no reason

That's one reason I don't buy this being fraud and suspect it was a "gently caress you" bid gone wrong: a lot of news orgs were looking into the inauguration spending and someone had to have called Hargrove and asked why they charged $25M. If they didn't actually charge that much or didn't do the work they probably would have gone to the authorities so that they don't end up looking like co-conspirators to fraud.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It's not like anyone's shocked that Trump, or rich people and politicians in general, get up to a lot of sketchy rear end financial stuff. It's just that he's sooo loving bad at it it's almost unbelievable.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Crow Jane posted:

It's not like anyone's shocked that Trump, or rich people and politicians in general, get up to a lot of sketchy rear end financial stuff. It's just that he's sooo loving bad at it it's almost unbelievable.

Remember when Manafort couldn't stop doing crimes even after he made a deal with prosecutors? It kind of sums up the whole Trump experience for me.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

And that young upstart's name is JARED KUSHNER

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

*Trump tweets again bitching about Europeans not giving us money that they don't actually owe us.*

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
Tax cuts are paying off
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1073376011360845825

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

This is the unironic view of the right.

The more they gently caress up US finances, the more they can justify gutting social services.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I distinctly remember that Trump was having trouble getting anyone to sign onto the inauguration so I can believe that they ended up getting soaked on the event just because they had no other choice.
https://twitter.com/ChaseMit/status/821195858150649858

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

This is the unironic view of the right.

The more they gently caress up US finances, the more they can justify gutting social services.

Starve The Beast

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"trump ONLY considering a white, House Insider."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I wonder if Democrats could make Trumps life a living hell with investigations that he does not want to run again.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Were Ted Nugent and/or Kid Rock busy? It's not like it'd be possible to make the event any less classy

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I wonder if Democrats could make Trumps life a living hell with investigations that he does not want to run again.

Or resigns, like Palin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Crow Jane posted:

Were Ted Nugent and/or Kid Rock busy? It's not like it'd be possible to make the event any less classy

Nugent was prepared, in case Trump tried to draft him:

quote:

I ceased cleansing my body. No more brushing my teeth, no more washing my hair, no baths, no soap, no water. Thirty days of debris build. I stopped shavin’, had a little scraggly beard, really looked like a hippie. I had long hair, and it started gettin’ kinky, matted up. Then two weeks before, I stopped eating any food with nutritional value. I just had chips, Pepsi, beer-stuff I never touched-buttered poop, little jars of Polish sausages, and I’d drink the syrup, I was this side of death, Then a week before, I stopped going to the bathroom. I did it in my pants. poop, piss the whole shot. My pants got crusted up.