Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Elman posted:

Have you considered reading a book?

Why read an entire book when you can read the wikipedia article?

Checkmate

gamers rise up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why read an entire book when you can read the wikipedia article?

Checkmate

gamers rise up!

This is something people say unironically.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Lambert posted:

This is something people say unironically.

Makes it kind of humiliating to be a human being.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

Literally A Person posted:

Makes it kind of humiliating to be a human being.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've never been able to parse a wikipedia summary of any fiction. Hell, even TVtropes is better for getting the gist of what something's actually like half the time. (and that's not saying much)

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

A Wikipedia plot summary is like it’s written by an alien that collects all the most insignificant facts and doesn’t understand linear time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

People who are literate but choose not to read books deserve to be laughed at and spat upon

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

People who are literate but choose not to read books deserve to be laughed at and spat upon

just lol if you read books yourselves rather than watching people read them on twitch so you can give strangers money to feel less lonely

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Heh, Books? How quaint. let me introduce you to a little game called Pillars of Eternity. :smug:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

movies? let me introduce you to a little thing called a Twitch stream where a fat IT manager plays Pillars of Eternity

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

a Twitch stream where a fat IT manager plays Pillars of Eternity? Let me introduce you to a little thing called an auto tuned YouTube remix of Dre Day cut from clips of a Twitch stream where a fat IT manager plays Pillars of Eternity

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Why are people going apeshit over this year's YouTube Rewind? From what I've seen, it's about as terrible as all the previous ones. Doesn't seem like it would deserve this level of discontent. Are there really that many idiots really into Pewdiepie?

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Lambert posted:

Why are people going apeshit over this year's YouTube Rewind? From what I've seen, it's about as terrible as all the previous ones. Doesn't seem like it would deserve this level of discontent. Are there really that many idiots really into Pewdiepie?

It has something positive is said about refugees. That alone will cause some people to hate it. Also, all the talk about empowerment is gonna piss off a very vocal portion of the internet. Just having a diverse cast will cause some people to hate it.

Others may hate it just because they're not the targeted audience. Not everyone is into pop culture as much as everyone else. So thus, you're gonna have a number of people who rage against it simply because they are socially inclined to be contrarian edgelords.

I realize I'm not the target audience, and just don't really care about it one way or another. It's a little dumb, but I don't care enough to give it a thumbs down imho.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Or it could be a terrible cringefest that doesn't actually represent youtube in 2018 but instead the fluffy advertiser friendly YouTube it wishes it was.

But nah let's just assume the internet boogeymen are at it again lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

just lol if you read books yourselves rather than watching people read them on twitch so you can give strangers money to feel less lonely

It tells me that goose stepping morons like yourself should spend more time reading books than burning them!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

YouTube has been at odds with users and has been desperately trying to steer content a certain way for a while now. Going as far as to make it frustratingly unprofitable if you dont do sponsorships or peddle for a patreon.

Next step would no poo poo probably be to deplatform everyone using third party sponsors and patreon accounts lol i bet they'll do it too.

Rewind is usually an ad for the parts of youtube google wants you to actually consume, naturally its the lamest emptiest bullshit but what does this have to do with bad videogames opinions

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Everything is gamified, nowadays.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Nationalize youtube.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm a nazi who loves PewDiePie lmao

Okay.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

is pepsi ok posted:

Kill youtube.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It tells me that goose stepping morons like yourself should spend more time reading books than burning them!

Man, I love that line.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I like twitch since it lets me watch stuff like this guy playing Eternal Champions for Sega Genesis for 30+ hours just to beat the games story mode on normal difficulty a single time.

https://www.twitch.tv/sharpieplays

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

paper is for wiping my rear end and smokin loving weed bro

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I really want to play games like House Flipper and PC Building Simulator but my pc is too lovely for those games i think.

If you have a halfway modern PC, like anything with an i3 or i5 CPU, the onboard video will run a surprising number of games.

Playing games at lower than max settings is better than not playing them at all <--- there's my unpopular opinion

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Oh wow I have been devastatingly owned

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

I like twitch since it lets me watch stuff like this guy playing Eternal Champions for Sega Genesis for 30+ hours just to beat the games story mode on normal difficulty a single time.

drat, he did it that quickly?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Barudak posted:

drat, he did it that quickly?

35 hours and counting.

The final boss is quite possibly the most absurdly unfair and unfun thing in gaming history.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
People who get all hoity toity about reading books are insufferable. If its actually a great story itll be turned into a film which i won't watch either.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CrRoMa posted:

People who get all hoity toity about reading books are insufferable. If its actually a great story itll be turned into a film which i won't watch either.

Critital Thinking is Thoughtcrime. I'm there with ya, bro.

Boosh :regd08:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

lmao are you really doubling down on this of all things

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Vakal posted:

I assumed you meant once with each character, then I watched the stream. Yiiiiiikes.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

ishikabibble posted:

lmao are you really doubling down on this of all things

What? I can't have a little fun?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My unpopular opinion is that people should enjoy the games they like.

Also, everyone's game preferences that don't match mine are :wrong:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Most videogames are just unimpressive. I'm only 32 but i feel some games that i see people lavish praise on are just reiterations of things I've already seen. I got very excited about VR when i first used it, it seems like something genuinely new and innovative and it put a massive smile on my face. Playing red dead 2 and Dragon quest 11 this year just felt so rote and stale. Even god of war and Spiderman which i enjoyed greatly were completely predictable and exactly what i expected.

Its just seems that so many people are easily impressed with videogames. Obviously not everyone has the same opinion as me so I'm not aggressively criticising its just amusing to here people fawn over games that would have impressed me in 2001.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

McGiggins posted:

My unpopular opinion is that people should enjoy the games they like.

Also, everyone's game preferences that don't match mine are :wrong:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'd just like to clarify I'm not calling rdr2 or dq11 bad games. I just don't have the time in my life for something so by the numbers and predictable.

Like i get the feeling i was imagining games like rdr2 when i was 11 and seeing them realised now just isn't exciting. Its just doing something i always thought videogames would do eventually. How could anyone be that excited for that?

VR by comparison feels revolutionary and not just like "well i played gta3, i saw where this was going".

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
VR is a stupid gimmick that has already failed in the market.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Well then 'VR is good' fits the thread title perfectly and we should welcome such posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lambert posted:

VR is a stupid gimmick that has already failed in the market.

I used to bitterly say the same thing before buying one. Itd the future of videogames.