Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So far Dusk has been pretty enjoyable to play through. It feels like a user mod for quake that would have come on a demo disc in some gaming magazine in the 90's.

One nitpick I have with it through is that the game lets you swap to weapons that you currently have no ammo for and then change back when you try to fire it. Every other FPS shooter I've ever played will just skip over empty weapons.

It's not a big deal but is annoying during intense fire fights and I wasn't able to find anything in the options to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Blood's hitscanners have some kind of "accuracy" in their code or something, I don't know but you can dodge and duck and they miss you a lot and the weapons felt a lot more powerful than duke3d's.

Blood's Pre-Caleb protagonist though:

Woof

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Finally playing C&C renegade. I missed it when it came out, might have been one of the "dark ages" times when my family's PC was badly out of date. It reminds me of GoldenEye 007 in a good way with the basic geometry and sniping.

Obviously the game's badly dated but I really like the sound effects copy & pasted directly from the RTS games, brought a smile to my face.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Escape Goat posted:

Finally playing C&C renegade. I missed it when it came out, might have been one of the "dark ages" times when my family's PC was badly out of date. It reminds me of GoldenEye 007 in a good way with the basic geometry and sniping.

Obviously the game's badly dated but I really like the sound effects copy & pasted directly from the RTS games, brought a smile to my face.

I remember Renegade being a surprisingly competent multiplayer shooter. Protecting the base, collecting resources and building usable vehicles was pretty interesting.

Of course I never played it again after Battlefield 1942 released a few months later.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Escape Goat posted:

Renegade X exists, which is a modernized fan-remake of the multiplayer. It's pretty good, and is still updated.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Roluth posted:

Renegade X exists, which is a modernized fan-remake of the multiplayer. It's pretty good, and is still updated.

Holy smokes that looks awesome. This thread is a goldmine.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Escape Goat posted:

Holy smokes that looks awesome. This thread is a goldmine.

It even still has the "BOINK" sound effect when you kill someone. It's nothing if not faithful to the spirit of the original.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Thank you.

Escape Goat posted:

"Miss me?"
"Not at this range."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's been a long time but I remember the Renegade campaign being fun. There's a reasonably elaborate Easter Egg in the final mission too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Vikar Jerome posted:

Romero just streamed some stuff from E5M3 and it looks fantastic. holy poo poo that soundtrack.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/348219753

I watched a little bit of that, but lost interest after a while because he kept dying over and over again. Early in the stream he said he couldn't beat those levels on Ultra-Violence, and it became clear why: he was playing from a pistol start and despite his admirable design goal of making sure a pistol start can beat the level, it's clear that he didn't actually put enough ammo in the level to make a pistol start viable on UV.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He's also a purist and refuses to save during levels (he says that at the start but idk if he stuck to it during the stream) because he says it takes the excitement out of it for him. I can understand that, but he is livestreaming to show off his level pack so it doesn't much matter how he prefers to play v:v:v

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Do enemies respawn in Dusk's hardest difficulty (duskmare?). I love Doom in Ultra-Violence but I hate that Nightmare respawns enemies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Honestly, Doom's Nightmare difficulty should just be UV plus a bunch of Arch Viles. Stoppable, winnable, manageable, but loving rough.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I disagree strongly; the entire point of Nightmare! was a joke difficulty that was unrealistic to play in. The fact that a few committed people have been able to is more a testament to human will than it is fun game design.

The history of it (IIRC) is that Doom 1.0 shipped with UV as the highest difficulty, but once people got a handle on the controls (and learned to... sidestep) it became manageable. So people griped, and N! was introduced as a way to shut them up. Quake's N! mode was similarly comical.

Modern Doom and similar games using the N! moniker saddens me and cheapens the word. See: Youtube of a guy playing Doom2016 on "Ulta Nightmare" and using nothing but the pistol. It was actually kinda boring.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Not that I've ever made a real attempt to play the full game on Nightmare, but there is an interesting difference in that monsters attack way more predictably due to the "fast monsters" mode. They'll pretty much just spam their attack forever from the moment they can see you as long as you're in their line of sight, so even though it's punishingly hard, there are specific points where you'll always get the same barrage of projectiles/hitscan spam coming at you, and you can get the patterns down to avoid them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Volte posted:

Not that I've ever made a real attempt to play the full game on Nightmare, but there is an interesting difference in that monsters attack way more predictably due to the "fast monsters" mode. They'll pretty much just spam their attack forever from the moment they can see you as long as you're in their line of sight, so even though it's punishingly hard, there are specific points where you'll always get the same barrage of projectiles/hitscan spam coming at you, and you can get the patterns down to avoid them.

Tatsurdcacocaco on YouTube has some really interesting demos of —fastmonsters play because of this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Serious Sam's ultimate difficulty was also this back in the day, though I think they changed it for the HD versions. Mental difficulty was the final 'real' difficulty, where enemies moved and reacted faster, hit harder, and came in crazy numbers. Serious difficulty, the one unlocked by beating Mental, is the same thing except the enemies are invisible. They only become visible when moving or you shoot them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CJacobs posted:

Serious Sam's ultimate difficulty was also this back in the day, though I think they changed it for the HD versions. Mental difficulty was the final 'real' difficulty, where enemies moved and reacted faster, hit harder, and came in crazy numbers. Serious difficulty, the one unlocked by beating Mental, is the same thing except the enemies are invisible. They only become visible when moving or you shoot them.

That's backwards. Mental difficulty is the one which enemies are invisible unless attacking and it's unlocked by beating the game. I don't think Serious difficulty makes monsters move faster, but it has been ages since I played the original versions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oops. The reason I had them backwards is because Serious difficulty's tagline says "Are you serious?" and Mental difficulty's says "You're not serious!" Also apparently Mental difficulty is actually on the hard difficulty setting, damage/health wise.

edit: And yeah, enemies do move faster, Kleer skeletons specifically are nuts. Kamikazes also go from running as fast as you run to running faster than you which makes them a LOT more dangerous.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

al-azad posted:

Do enemies respawn in Dusk's hardest difficulty (duskmare?). I love Doom in Ultra-Violence but I hate that Nightmare respawns enemies.

Enemies don't respawn, but instead any damage is a one-hit kill.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Any hit from an enemy is a one hit kill. You can still take lava damage and not die

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gobblecoque posted:

Enemies don't respawn, but instead any damage is a one-hit kill.

Well I guess that definitely makes things harder. Can't say I like that, but then again, I don't have to play on that difficulty. I actually don't like Doom's respawn mechanic on Nightmare, or Serious Sam's invisible enemies on Mental, either...but at least they're trying something different instead of just buffing health.

I like Quake's Nightmare difficulty, though.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well I guess that definitely makes things harder. Can't say I like that, but then again, I don't have to play on that difficulty. I actually don't like Doom's respawn mechanic on Nightmare, or Serious Sam's invisible enemies on Mental, either...but at least they're trying something different instead of just buffing health.

I like Quake's Nightmare difficulty, though.

Anyone who plays quake 1 on less than nightmare is a total wuss.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Cephalectomy posted:

Anyone who plays quake 1 on less than nightmare is a total wuss.
i didn't know that the monsters didn't rez, so I assumed it was going to be nigh impossible or unfun

never tried it for that reason

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
In Nightmare, the ogres in Quake will continually fire grenades as long as you are in line of sight, regardless of whether they have any chance of actually hitting you. You get real sick of clank clank boom before too long.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That noise is so annoying that I turned off game sound when I played Quake. I'm so sorry, shotgun sound effect.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

In Nightmare, the ogres in Quake will continually fire grenades as long as you are in line of sight, regardless of whether they have any chance of actually hitting you. You get real sick of clank clank boom before too long.

Clank clank?
more like
Doiiink Doiiink

Offtopic a bit does anyone know the origin of this explosion effect? It appeared in a LOT of games (and still shows up today sometimes) along with the Duke3d rocket explosion and couple of other big fireball explosions.

Was it on a pryo disk? Do we know who made it?
And how do you did they record a keyed background explosion/flame without edge artifacts anyway?!

Also on the topic of explosions that turn up everywhere

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 14, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Flannelette posted:

Offtopic a bit does anyone know the origin of this explosion effect? It appeared in a LOT of games (and still shows up today sometimes) along with the Duke3d rocket explosion and couple of other big fireball explosions.

Watching this GIF gives me flashbacks to poorly implemented "fire" effects in Dark Forces mods (possibly including my own)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Playing Doom with that Neural Network Upscale mod is weird as hell, I can't decide if I absolutely love it (leaning towards this) or I'm distracted by killing finely detailed claymation characters at times

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Neat, Destructoid, of all places, gave DUSK a rave review, saying that it "may just be the best shooter ever."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpKM8F7AyTQ

Speaking of, one thing that DUSK really proved to me is that you you don't need great graphics for impressive setpieces. Levels like the Infernal Machine, or the part where the ceiling opens up at the end of Erebus were some of the coolest things I've seen in a game since Titanfall 2.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Flannelette posted:

Was it on a pryo disk? Do we know who made it?
And how do you did they record a keyed background explosion/flame without edge artifacts anyway?!

Also on the topic of explosions that turn up everywhere

I had a 90s PC magazine that (for some reason) reviewed a disc full of explosion videos. I have a feeling a lot of them came from that. Unfortunately I don’t remember the disc name or the magazine, but it’s possible I have those at home somewhere.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
the disc was called pyromania iirc

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I love the sense of progression in Dusk. Despite its structure being modeled more on Doom and Quake via the episodes, every level flows into one another really well and everything feels consistent like in Half-Life. It's this superb journey into Hell and I fucken love it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I finished Dusk last night. I enjoyed it a ton. Jacob was hard on "I can take it" so that took a few tries.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Playing Doom 64 for the first time, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. I figured I would, but I really dig the levels and feel of it all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's hilarious how much damage thrown barrels do in Dusk.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Plan Z posted:

Playing Doom 64 for the first time, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. I figured I would, but I really dig the levels and feel of it all.

I recently played the TC for Doom 2 - Absolution, and I honestly really hated the graphics and sound effects and especially the godawful noise that they called a soundtrack. They also overused Hell Knights and Barons of Hell due to the lack of other enemies.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I recently played the TC for Doom 2 - Absolution, and I honestly really hated the graphics and sound effects and especially the godawful noise that they called a soundtrack. They also overused Hell Knights and Barons of Hell due to the lack of other enemies.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/92901-doom-64-for-doom-ii-idgames-link-is-up/ is precisely what you want then

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
https://twitter.com/fabynou/status/1073655868418224128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm loving Dusk. I'm going real slow to get every secret and learn every map. I really love the aesthetic but I can't decide on whether I want to play with bilinear filtering or not. It reminds me of Half-Life with in on, and Quake with it off. The pixelization filter is cool too but it suffers from bad aliasing problems because of the high resolution textures. It would be nice to be able to adjust the texture resolution separately.