Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This conversation is only going to get more heated and everybody has made their points clearly, so move on to something else wrestling question related thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
apologies for the sensitive topic, I feel it's my responsibility to get the ball rolling in another direction

I recall a match between Road Dogg and I forget who for the WWE Hardcore Championship that eventually spilled it's way across the street from the venue to a bar and the bystanders ended up having the best seats in the house, likely not really knowing what the gently caress is even happening.

Now maybe I'm marking out but I thought it was the coolest thing that these guys took the fight off the rails and improvised (I think one of the guys used a billiard ball from the bar pool table as a weapon while a pool game was in progress lol) and how spontaneous it seemed.

Now someone ruin my childhood and tell me the whole thing was a work (the "random" location of the brawl/spots etc.)

I guess my question is: what's the best match in which spontaneous spots are called that involve locations or people otherwise not privy to the booking or spot at all (ie, bystanders on the street, random locations, etc.)

it seems the Hardcore Championship featured many a "improvised" match in this way.

bring back the hardcore title imo

Dick Bastardly fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 13, 2018

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

It wasn't a match but I assume a lot of the spots were called on the fly, with just improvised violence and trash-talk by Austin... But my first thought after reading your post was Stone Cold Steve Austin fighting Booker T in a supermarket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKmUo9pTd3M

dromal phrenia fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 13, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dick Bastardly posted:

apologies for the sensitive topic, I feel it's my responsibility to get the ball rolling in another direction

I recall a match between Road Dogg and I forget who for the WWE Hardcore Championship that eventually spilled it's way across the street from the venue to a bar and the bystanders ended up having the best seats in the house, likely not really knowing what the gently caress is even happening.

Now maybe I'm marking out but I thought it was the coolest thing that these guys took the fight off the rails and improvised (I think one of the guys used a billiard ball from the bar pool table as a weapon while a pool game was in progress lol) and how spontaneous it seemed.

Now someone ruin my childhood and tell me the whole thing was a work (the "random" location of the brawl/spots etc.)

I guess my question is: what's the best match in which spontaneous spots are called that involve locations or people otherwise not privy to the booking or spot at all (ie, bystanders on the street, random locations, etc.)

it seems the Hardcore Championship featured many a "improvised" match in this way.

Road Dogg was seriously the best hardcore champ other than Crash.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Dick Bastardly posted:

That sounds like Boss Man vs Al Snow at Summerslam 1999 with Road Dogg following them around. Considering a bar patron was carrying a chain around and handed it someone, it was probably at least partly planned.

PASS THE MASH fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 13, 2018

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

dromal phrenia posted:

It wasn't a match but I assume a lot of the spots were called on the fly, with just improvised violence and trash-talk by Austin... But my first thought after reading your post was Stone Cold Steve Austin fighting Booker T in a supermarket.

"we got a price check on a jackass"

god just a timeless segment

PASS THE MASH posted:

That sounds like Boss Man vs Al Snow at Summerslam 1999.

it sounds like a lot of hardcore championship matches, honestly.

remember crash at the amusement center

man wwe used to be good its wild.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

PASS THE MASH posted:

That sounds like Boss Man vs Al Snow at Summerslam 1999 with Road Dogg following them around. Considering a bar patron was carrying a chain around and handed it someone, it was probably at least partly planned.

that's the one

haha good poo poo

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

dromal phrenia posted:

lol when that dude rolls over and it's not Austin (I mean I know the guy is a plant but just suspend your belief for a moment because that poo poo is helarious)

I'd be so drat happy to be attacked randomly in public by my favorite wrestler(s)

edit: still watching hahaha Booker over sells that bump on the fruit stand and then Austin dumps god knows what on himself and Booker

this thread delivers every. drat. time.

Dick Bastardly fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 13, 2018

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Fun fact, I actually live in the town where that supermarket fight happened. It's been closed for years now, but I got to walk around the same aisles. Neat little thing.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

dromal phrenia posted:

Somebody told me that this was one of the most expensive matches in WWE history when the tally for all the poo poo Austin/T wrecked was presented, but I don't know how true that is. Is there a record somewhere of big money matches (outside of performer salaries/venue fees)?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dromal phrenia posted:

The entire thing is great, but my favorite bit is right near the start when Austin appears behind Booker, and then you overhear Vince and Ric (watching from the arena):

Vince: LOOK OUT, BOOK!
Flair: He can't hear you! :haw:

Edit: That said, I am also partial to:

Austin: You like potatoes? Here's a potato!
punches Booker in the face

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Here's where my mind went (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUYEdeWrrLA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember the one hardcore match that ended up in WWF New York, and Shaft (played by Samuel L Jackson) was there, just chilling.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Many of the bar fights that were done for WWE were filmed at former ref Tim Whites' pub.

So yeah, they were totally staged and setup for the hardcore brawls, but it's kinda cool that it had that kinetic, real feel for you.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Pitwar posted:

Many of the bar fights that were done for WWE were filmed at former ref Tim Whites' pub.

So yeah, they were totally staged and setup for the hardcore brawls, but it's kinda cool that it had that kinetic, real feel for you.

I knew it was too good to be true, but in the Bossman vs Snow match (with tag along Roag Dogg) they did a great job of selling it imo.

Also the Hardcore Holly vs. Al Snow Hardcore title match that ended up in some river bank, taking bumps in the water and using the refuse that was laying around (Bob rolled Snow up in a chain-link fence! lol) was an amazing match as well.

Good memories.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Dick Bastardly posted:

lol when that dude rolls over and it's not Austin (I mean I know the guy is a plant but just suspend your belief for a moment because that poo poo is helarious)

I'd be so drat happy to be attacked randomly in public by my favorite wrestler(s)
Before I edited I said "Not sure how many of these were plants... ok that one fake Austin probably was" but yeah its hilarious to imagine some random bald man getting whooped by Booker T while he shops for bologna :xd:

Things like this do require a little suspension of disbelief but it shows that audiences are (or at least were) willing to do exactly that for the story. If Austin was after you, you had to look over your shoulder all the time, because Austin is a psychopath and he will whoop your rear end in your daily life. To the extent that Booker assaults an innocent bystander out of fear he's going to get jumped - and he's right, he is going to get jumped. Not every feud has to be a blood feud, but people are going to be more invested when the wrestlers look and act like their conflict extends beyond Going to Work.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Dick Bastardly posted:

I knew it was too good to be true, but in the Bossman vs Snow match (with tag along Roag Dogg) they did a great job of selling it imo.

Also the Hardcore Holly vs. Al Snow Hardcore title match that ended up in some river bank, taking bumps in the water and using the refuse that was laying around (Bob rolled Snow up in a chain-link fence! lol) was an amazing match as well.

Good memories.

Hahaha this reminded me of another great one. The Hardcore Title being contested anywhere, anytime is such a fun setting, and sometimes they really went the distance for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko-F-6dglOo

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's Austin talking about the supermarket segment

https://youtu.be/Z04_VEQmoRs

I love that brawl so much. Must've watched it twenty times

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

WWE should get themselves a version of the Ironman Heavymetalweight Belt, which has been won by a ton of random people, animals, and inanimate objects. Candice LeRae won it in a dream.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

WWE should get themselves a version of the Ironman Heavymetalweight Belt, which has been won by a ton of random people, animals, and inanimate objects. Candice LeRae won it in a dream.

They already have the RAW Tag Team belts

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

They already have the RAW Tag Team belts

noice

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What's the longest squash match ever?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

fatherofmustard posted:

What's the longest squash match ever?

First that came to mind was Taker/Sara vs DDP. Especially because that was also a squash of his character and career.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bret vs Vince at Wrestlemania?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Cena/Lesnar at '14 SummerSlam went 16 minutes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

D.N. Nation posted:

Cena/Lesnar at '14 SummerSlam went 16 minutes.

This was the second match I thought of

Davros1 posted:

Bret vs Vince at Wrestlemania?

I've never actually seen this one, just reading about it made me extremely uncomfortable. And the booking makes no sense.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Austin vs Triple H in 2000 that ended with Austin tipping a car onto Trips was iirc mostly a squash match and went 25 minutes

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Not technically a squash so much as the most boring poo poo ever, Bob Backlund putting the crossface chickenwing on Bret Hart for three hours

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

jesus WEP posted:

Austin vs Triple H in 2000 that ended with Austin tipping a car onto Trips was iirc mostly a squash match and went 25 minutes

I remember that match, just not that it was a squash. It's also been eighteen years.

WrestleMania XXX had that squash where the Shield just clowned on the New Age Outlaws and Kane for what seemed like forever. I honestly thought that was the end of all three of their respective careers before transitioning to road agents/writers/mayors, it was so embarrassing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sodomy Hussein posted:

the most boring poo poo ever... Bret Hart

that's like 95 percent of Bret Hart matches

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember that match, just not that it was a squash. It's also been eighteen years.

WrestleMania XXX had that squash where the Shield just clowned on the New Age Outlaws and Kane for what seemed like forever. I honestly thought that was the end of all three of their respective careers before transitioning to road agents/writers/mayors, it was so embarrassing.

I think that match was like 3 minutes

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For some reason in order to receive a payday at Mania they seem to require you to appear in-ring, even if it's do <30 seconds of work, leading to "matches"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

I think that match was like 3 minutes

It was somewhere in the 3-5 minute zone, yeah. It was also like the smartest idea because sure Kane with Daniel Bryan and Ryback could deal with the shield in a ladder match, but him with the New Age Outlaws? Yeah, you can only really book “dominant trio who are intricately skilled at attacking from all angles beat the everloving poo poo out of three guys whose ages combined are like close a century and a half old”

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've never actually seen this one, just reading about it made me extremely uncomfortable. And the booking makes no sense.

It is the most awkward match, with way too much storyline when it probably should have been “Vince struts to the center of the ring, talks poo poo, Bret punches him like he did in Montreal, slaps on the Sharpshooter and Vince taps and Bret holds on for an extra long time before releasing, out comes Tyson/DBS/Natalya, celebration, onto the next match”.

I guess Bret wanted to get all his family who kept begging for jobs in the company to get a Mania payday.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Cameo posted:

It was somewhere in the 3-5 minute zone, yeah. It was also like the smartest idea because sure Kane with Daniel Bryan and Ryback could deal with the shield in a ladder match, but him with the New Age Outlaws? Yeah, you can only really book “dominant trio who are intricately skilled at attacking from all angles beat the everloving poo poo out of three guys whose ages combined are like close a century and a half old”

It is the most awkward match, with way too much storyline when it probably should have been “Vince struts to the center of the ring, talks poo poo, Bret punches him like he did in Montreal, slaps on the Sharpshooter and Vince taps and Bret holds on for an extra long time before releasing, out comes Tyson/DBS/Natalya, celebration, onto the next match”.

I guess Bret wanted to get all his family who kept begging for jobs in the company to get a Mania payday.

Knowing the rocky relationships Bret has had with his family, I have to wonder if it was more them inserting themselves into the angle through Vince or someone else.

Edit: Did Micheal Cole ever call one of Bret's matches before he left?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 14, 2018

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
poo poo, that Wrestlemania XXX Shield match felt like so much longer than that. Maybe because I loving hate Billy Gunn.

Also, why is Michael so difficult for people to spell?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

You know, Taker/Mankind HIAC was kind of a squash match, though more a "die" match.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always kinda liked Billy Gunn. :ohdearsass: He just should have always been a tag team guy.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Randaconda posted:

I always kinda liked Billy Gunn. :ohdearsass: He just should have always been a tag team guy.

I thought he was amazing standing beside Road Dogg. In shape, agile, strong. Not a great wrestler though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Von Linus posted:

I thought he was amazing standing beside Road Dogg. In shape, agile, strong. Not a great wrestler though.

He wasn't great, but he was fine in tag teams, where his weakness could be hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bart gunn was the better smoking gunn