Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Just saying, these guys will do custom patent drawing posters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
At the federal court I interned at the SAUSA was a woman who had a private practice and had been in the area for like 15 years. She seemed to treat it almost like a magistrate job. I'm sure the title doesn't hurt your resume.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

But the job is just line prosecutor. How can you treat that like a magistrate?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

i wouldnt hire anyone who would work for me for free either

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

But the job is just line prosecutor. How can you treat that like a magistrate?

Well it's probably different in Central Dist. California, but in my district they were in court like once a month for what amounted to a rocket docket of misdemeanors, everything else could be done part-time while she did whatever she normally did. I remember her getting paid though.

I'm realizing this might be confusing, when I say magistrate, I mean State magistrate, who do one week on the bench every four weeks.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 13, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Probably for the same reason law firms won't hire contract/doc review attorneys: insufficient preftige.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Probably for the same reason law firms won't hire contract/doc review attorneys: insufficient preftige.

I think it’s an antideficiency act concern.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
sorry, to be specific, it's a more general "lol why". why does that job exist, why would anyone degrade themselves enough to take it, why am I gay, etc.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
My company got sued for $8 billion yesterday. Claims include "assault/libel," accessory and accomplice to attempted murder, and conspiring to keep the plaintiff homeless. Among other things.

Plaintiff has been doing this for years. I would have assumed the filing fees were getting waived by in forma pauperis, but one of the lawsuits was dismissed for failure to pay filing fees. This is in federal big boy court, so the fees aren't small.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I've now completed two bankruptcy hearings. I feel I should be board certified.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Look Sir Droids posted:

My company got sued for $8 billion yesterday. Claims include "assault/libel," accessory and accomplice to attempted murder, and conspiring to keep the plaintiff homeless. Among other things.

Plaintiff has been doing this for years. I would have assumed the filing fees were getting waived by in forma pauperis, but one of the lawsuits was dismissed for failure to pay filing fees. This is in federal big boy court, so the fees aren't small.

28 U.S.C. § 1915(e)(2)(B)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

A lawyer has great liability if a mistake is made. That is why they get paid.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

28 U.S.C. § 1915(e)(2)(B)

Yeah. Re-checked the district's opinion in that case and it was actually in forma pauperis. But they bounced the plaintiff on (e)(2)(A). Not in fact a poor person. Or rather, not poor enough.

I'm talking over two dozen lawsuits in at least three federal districts in three different states here. Pro se, of course.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Judge just denied a OC's Motion for a Bill of Particulars, but nonetheless ordered the State to produce one, "limited to the issue of intent."

The Defendant equated notice of charges with sufficiency and somehow convinced the Judge that the State is hiding evidence.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Won an appeal (heard 3 months ago) today regarding one of our local zoning board's actions - the Real Party in Interest did all the work and research, I filed a joinder and showed up to the hearing and threw shade at the appellant for being a whiny baby.

Which was, in retrospect, not the greatest idea as opposing counsel won an election and is now my boss.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

How much is rent in Saipan?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Pretty drat cheap, actually. No military means no artificial inflation, so 2-bedrooms go for around 400-700/mo., and an actual house isn't too much more than that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Phil deserves all the plaudits in the world for that response in the legal questions thread.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Will they recognise my Australian law degree and do they have criminals.

Cos those are my two conditions.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Tokelau All Star posted:

It's probably all hosed up because of the hurricane. A friend of mine did a summer internship there and the place she rented is gone

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

They have power restored, most of the damage was done to wood/tin structures - the concrete ones did ok.

I also got permission to duck out of a board meeting early to help rescue a coconut crab hunter who was lost in the jungle.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Abugadu posted:

They have power restored, most of the damage was done to wood/tin structures - the concrete ones did ok.

I also got permission to duck out of a board meeting early to help rescue a coconut crab hunter who was lost in the jungle.

Coconut crabs are endangered snitch

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

>4 inches and without eggs is fine. No undersized crabs.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Abugadu posted:

>4 inches and without eggs is fine. No undersized crabs.

That's what she said.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Is coconut crab good to eat?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Coconut crab, red rice, greasy empanadas, fruit bats, and Miller Lite: island delicacies.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Judge sentences guy way over guidelines. Appeals court overturns. Judge issues same sentence. Appeals court overturns. Judge sentences guy to same sentence, denies hearing on refusal, berates counsel for doing her job, besmirches PD’s office. Appeals court overturns and removes judge from case.

And she does this twice, and decided to resign rather than recuse herself in the future. https://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2018/12/13/Judge-Donna-Jo-McDaniel-resigns-Allegheny-County-sex-offenders/stories/201812130201

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Well I just lost 5 million taxpayer dollars. Christmas bonuses are cancelled.

Jk my salary never changes

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Well I just lost 5 million taxpayer dollars. Christmas bonuses are cancelled.

Jk my salary never changes

You don't get automatic increases annually? Texas is even worse than I thought

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Christmas bonuses are cancelled.

Not for everyone!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

You don't get automatic increases annually? Texas is even worse than I thought

No automatic. I've actually received 25k in raises over 4 years. About half of that was COLA, half was merit. I'm not hesitant to talk money - I'm 6 years out earning 80k. By the time I hit 12 years out which is when my loans will discharge, I'll be between 100k and 110k.

I pay nothing for health insurance and about 9.5% goes into a defined benefit pension (average of your monthly pay for your last 60mos of salary at retirement).

It's not the best but I'm comfortable.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
luv 2 pay taxes to cover for HDD91 being bad at his job

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Not for everyone!

lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No automatic. I've actually received 25k in raises over 4 years. About half of that was COLA, half was merit. I'm not hesitant to talk money - I'm 6 years out earning 80k. By the time I hit 12 years out which is when my loans will discharge, I'll be between 100k and 110k.

I pay nothing for health insurance and about 9.5% goes into a defined benefit pension (average of your monthly pay for your last 60mos of salary at retirement).

It's not the best but I'm comfortable.

You live in Texas. That sounds pretty great for Texas. You're living the pre-Reagan middle class dream (which is to say, upper class).

Of course, here in the Bay Area you'd be living in an RV.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

You live in Texas. That sounds pretty great for Texas. You're living the pre-Reagan middle class dream (which is to say, upper class).

Of course, here in the Bay Area you'd be living in an RV.

He does live in Austin though, which is the Texan California, wherein they have all the homeless people, congested highways, high housing prices and hipsters, and none of the good weather.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

MY WIFE GOT STUCK IN A PARKING GARAGE FOR 60 MINUTES BECAUSE THE TRAFFIC WAS SO hosed UP.

Austin is miserable to live in sometimes. Can't move closer because we're approaching SF levels of inflation (I mean, not nearly as bad but it sucks).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
BUT 6TH STREET WAS COOL (15 years ago)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Austin is alright, but its somewhere between the hippie poo poo-hole everyone who doesn't live there thinks it is, and the neo-progressive-urban/suburban art festival that people who do live there think it is.

Baller rear end food, and some nice, older neighborhoods, and downtown is still fun.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm going to Austin next month and plan to basically eat every waking hour.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

He does live in Austin though, which is the Texan California, wherein they have all the homeless people, congested highways, high housing prices and hipsters, and none of the good weather.

Looks like home prices are about in line with Sacramento.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I am officially no longer the “dedicated habeas Attorney”

Thank god.