Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

You fools! We taught machines the Air Bud clause!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

In an artificial life simulation where survival required energy but giving birth had no energy cost, one species evolved a sedentary lifestyle that consisted mostly of mating in order to produce new children which could be eaten (or used as mates to produce more edible children).

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-05

This goes here.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

The now-famous Q*bert example that stumped the researchers got figured out. Clear the level, then swap tiles at a specific point in the flashing animation, and you get double credit for that tile and delay the level switch. Repeat indefinitely for infinite points. This is because the programmers used the colors to store the state of the tile, but they forgot to stop checking the states while the tiles flash, so the tiles still give points whenever they happen to be the same color as an uncleared tile.

My favorite ones are the ones that, when ordered to make one item match another, just deleted both items and called it a day.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
What you measure is what you'll get

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

the guy behind that tetris one also did a youtube about his paper with his ai playing some games if anyone's interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCurBYI_gY

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

break-up breakdown posted:

the guy behind that tetris one also did a youtube about his paper with his ai playing some games if anyone's interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCurBYI_gY

Yes, that is really interesting way of trying to make computers learn games.

Basically: you play the game on an emulator using a controller and the program observes the contents of the emulated RAM. The program then learns that when certain numbers at certain addresses go up, that's a good thing.

Then the program tries to maximise those numbers by using controller inputs. The program is able to reset the emulator to an earlier state to try to get around dead ends.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
'06 Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is another game where the movement speed was apparently tied in to the frame-rate, the effect of which was that increasing your graphics settings reduced your run-speed slightly.

While the effect was small enough to be un-noticeable generally, this had the effect of making certain sequences harder, or outright impossible. There's a jump early on which, with settings set to high, at first glance appears to be impossible, but in fact is the intended route; you just have to make the jump much more precisely than the developers intended.

Worse, the final sequence involves your running from point to point as the building collapses around you. On high graphics settings, this is literally impossible, because you can not run fast enough to escape the event.

The solution? Set the resolution to 800x600.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

TheMaskedUgly posted:

'06 Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is another game where the movement speed was apparently tied in to the frame-rate, the effect of which was that increasing your graphics settings reduced your run-speed slightly.

While the effect was small enough to be un-noticeable generally, this had the effect of making certain sequences harder, or outright impossible. There's a jump early on which, with settings set to high, at first glance appears to be impossible, but in fact is the intended route; you just have to make the jump much more precisely than the developers intended.

Worse, the final sequence involves your running from point to point as the building collapses around you. On high graphics settings, this is literally impossible, because you can not run fast enough to escape the event.

HOLY poo poo THAT'S WHAT MY PROBLEM WAS! :aaa:

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Interesting that a Lovecraftian game would have your perception of its reality tied so closely to success.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The Homing Suitcase reminds me of another graphical issue in MOBA type games. There are some short range abilities that 'home in' on the target,but they are done at such proximity or so fast you really don't see the Homing effect. However, if the target made a sudden move or sometimes teleported back to base, the projectile would dutifully home in on it. This resulted in pretty funny unintended visuals, like Sion's Cryptic Gaze looking like Darkseids Omegabeams as it swerved and juked trying to hit the target, or Pantheons leap attack suddenly have the guy dart forward and turn abruptly in midair if the target moved/teleported at just the right time.

Apparently if Undying Rage was active (HP can't get below 1 for a brief time) while Children of the Grave was cast (DoT that let you control the victims ghost briefly if they died) then Mordekaiser would get control of a ghost perpetually dying and screaming in agony, even when sometimes the original target didn't actually die in the process.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Panfilo posted:

The Homing Suitcase reminds me of another graphical issue in MOBA type games. There are some short range abilities that 'home in' on the target,but they are done at such proximity or so fast you really don't see the Homing effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nRkbCmUmQo

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Panfilo posted:

The Homing Suitcase reminds me of another graphical issue in MOBA type games. There are some short range abilities that 'home in' on the target,but they are done at such proximity or so fast you really don't see the Homing effect. However, if the target made a sudden move or sometimes teleported back to base, the projectile would dutifully home in on it. This resulted in pretty funny unintended visuals, like Sion's Cryptic Gaze looking like Darkseids Omegabeams as it swerved and juked trying to hit the target, or Pantheons leap attack suddenly have the guy dart forward and turn abruptly in midair if the target moved/teleported at just the right time.

Like how in diablo 2 they had both homing and piercing arrows, stacking both effects would end up with an arrow that would travel to an enemy and then zip back and forth over them, hitting them over and over.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

frodnonnag posted:

Like how in diablo 2 they had both homing and piercing arrows, stacking both effects would end up with an arrow that would travel to an enemy and then zip back and forth over them, hitting them over and over.

I was pretty salty when I found out about this, because I was enjoying my bowazon who wasn't heavily geared towards guided/piercing shot and suddenly I discovered that the Only Bowazon Build online was basically built around a specific crossbow with high fire rate, 100% pierce, and "freezes target", that incidentally was named after Blizzard.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was pretty salty when I found out about this, because I was enjoying my bowazon who wasn't heavily geared towards guided/piercing shot and suddenly I discovered that the Only Bowazon Build online was basically built around a specific crossbow with high fire rate, 100% pierce, and "freezes target", that incidentally was named after Blizzard.

My character was a level 80s necromancer. I stacked the gently caress out of the summoning skill tree and was basically so loving weak myself i could just barely kill act 1 poo poo to start off my army of 20+ skeletons, 20+ skeleton mages, 50+ revives, a golem, thorns aura hireling and the like. I also had the body that gave teleport. When a summoning necro teleports, his army teleports to the same point with him, so in pvp if i teleported on/next to you, my entire army immediately got a hit in all at once.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I always liked the Necro build that abused all the stacking slows it could bring, to the point the end boss of the expansion couldn't even do anything because he was too slow to actually get an attack off before some internal timer made him take another.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Keru posted:

I always liked the Necro build that abused all the stacking slows it could bring, to the point the end boss of the expansion couldn't even do anything because he was too slow to actually get an attack off before some internal timer made him take another.
If you play an Amazon with Impale, you can experience this from the other side!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

frodnonnag posted:

My character was a level 80s necromancer. I stacked the gently caress out of the summoning skill tree and was basically so loving weak myself i could just barely kill act 1 poo poo to start off my army of 20+ skeletons, 20+ skeleton mages, 50+ revives, a golem, thorns aura hireling and the like. I also had the body that gave teleport. When a summoning necro teleports, his army teleports to the same point with him, so in pvp if i teleported on/next to you, my entire army immediately got a hit in all at once.

My friend and I had a combo where he had a Necromancer like this and I had a Paladin with Thorns aura which would buff all the summons he had, it was pretty fun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I remember my brother discovering that a Diablo 2 paladin with an absurdly high rank in the "attack a bunch of times really fast" skill and an absurdly high rank in the aura that boosts attack speed would suddenly go from very deadly to essentially useless after a certain level.

This was because very fast weapons broke the attack speed calculation and caused the paladin to frequently bug out and refuse to attack, while any weapon slow enough to avoid this would instead inescapably lock the paladin into like 17 consecutive attack animations, during which time he could not move, block, or really do anything other than endlessly flail at his opponent and maybe die.

I think that eventually got fixed in a patch, but said patch fixed the problem by hilariously nerfing both skills, so my brother was salty about it anyway :v:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I remember my brother discovering that a Diablo 2 paladin with an absurdly high rank in the "attack a bunch of times really fast" skill and an absurdly high rank in the aura that boosts attack speed would suddenly go from very deadly to essentially useless after a certain level.

This was because very fast weapons broke the attack speed calculation and caused the paladin to frequently bug out and refuse to attack, while any weapon slow enough to avoid this would instead inescapably lock the paladin into like 17 consecutive attack animations, during which time he could not move, block, or really do anything other than endlessly flail at his opponent and maybe die.

I think that eventually got fixed in a patch, but said patch fixed the problem by hilariously nerfing both skills, so my brother was salty about it anyway :v:

I recall having a nigh invincible Druid where the key gimmick was as long as I was getting hit, I could not die. This combination of life-steal and reflection was fantastic until I hit a critical path enemy (I'm pretty sure it was on the Act 3 tileset) who was immune to physical.

I have not touched Diablo 2 since.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Reminds me of Morrowind’s alchemy shenanigans. Create terrible fortify intelligence potions, drink them, create better boost intelligence potions, repeat until you have 200 IQ and are creating godly potions. Just be careful with the fortify strength potions when you are brewing like a mad man, because you can raise your strength to the point where one attack will break weapons.

Besides the effect you also increase the duration of potions, so hope you were prepared to be Idiot Hercules for a while.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't forget to raise your personality so high that you can buy something for 1 gold from a merchant then sell it right back for everything they own.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Leal posted:

Don't forget to raise your personality so high that you can buy something for 1 gold from a merchant then sell it right back for everything they own.

The free market baby! Art of the deal!!

Morrowind's economy, nay systems, were so broken, it was insane. A friend crafted a Daedric great sword that dealt a lethal amount of damage within a radius and subsequently broke, meaning he had a cell-wide nuke should anything ever go pear shaped. I think this was within the first few tiers of the Mage's Guild.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

frodnonnag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Am0dF25Bk&t=111s

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I guess it isn’t a glitch but along those lines when you level up sneak to 100 and have the nightingale armor, plus Mehrune’s Razor, you can just crouch (often even in front of enemies), positon yourself to backstab, and instakill. To include Alduin.

Really made that playthrough the easiest thing.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Leal posted:

This glitch is also in Fallout 1 funny enough.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

I had a low level paladin i built specifically for pvp fights to gently caress with people. It was about level 21 and had all it's points into charge attack. I also had stacked all slotted armor and a specific gem in each slot to just boost his damage to an absurd value. He could regularly oneshot characters in their 40s.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm currently playing EDF 5 and I got this really loving wack glitch:

I'm playing with my older and younger brother. When I was the room leader my younger brother couldn't join my room, but the older could. When my little brother makes a room, I can't join, but the older can. So my older brother makes a room, we can both join his just fine.

However in the room list my younger brother and I can't see each other. In fact, in game we cannot see each other. Bugs that we kill just up and die on the other's screen, pickups just vanish, we cannot shoot each other, chats don't show up, when I call in ordinance as a wing raider my younger brother doesn't see it, just a bunch of bugs dying at once. Vehicles I call in don't show up on his screen. When my older brother uses the tactics chat to say "protect <playername>", its just blank for the other player.

When readying, one our screens it shows 2/2 players ready, until the older gets 3/3. If say the younger and older get ko'd, the game wont end, but my younger brother wont get a "Leal revived so and so" message when I revive my older brother. When both got ko'd my younger brother just had a screen of all dead party members until I finally bit it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
A Twitter thread where game devs share mistakes they've made when developing and the stupid fixes they had to do

https://mobile.twitter.com/fullbright/status/1073624811107016704

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Farecoal posted:

A Twitter thread where game devs share mistakes they've made when developing and the stupid fixes they had to do

https://mobile.twitter.com/fullbright/status/1073624811107016704

There's some real gems in here.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah lmao

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I love every single one of those, and it just reminds me that at one point, Space Station 13's inventory was coded as an enormous if/else list, and every floor tile would constantly check if you were wearing clown shoes when you stepped on it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can someone post the chatlog from the admin losing his mind because goons figured out how to blow up the space ship with potato chips and water after he took their chemistry lab privileges away

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Popecrunch posted:

I couldn't figure out how you goatfuckers STILL managed to be terrorists with potato chips and water. YOU FOUND A WAY. I had two coders on IRC combing through reactions trying to figure out exactly how you motherless fucks were managing to make potato chips and water into explosives, and they had no loving idea. It shouldn't have been possible. It couldn't have been possible. I fear for the safety of the world if the people who managed to find a way to do murders with mother loving potato chips and goddamned water ever get recruited by a real world terrorist organization. The headlines the next day will read something like WE'RE ALL hosed: SOME NERD KILLS 3/4 OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION WITH A USED BANDAID AND THE SQUEAKER FROM A DOG TOY. THIS SECURITY PHOTO SHOWS THE SUSPECT PURCHASING A STICK OF GUM. DOES HE WANT FRESH BREATH, OR IS HE FINISHING THE JOB? OUR ONLY CONSOLATION IS THAT WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT COMING. FILM AT 11 IF WE'RE LUCKY. OR UNLUCKY. gently caress IT. WHATEVER. -(AP) 

edit to add: I would like to thank the Maker's Mark Distillery for providing me with the liquid courage to have made it through that terrible time

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

neogeo0823 posted:

There's some real gems in here.

My favorite is the Firewatch dev talking about how they wanted a day night cycle, but they only coded the time of day to change when the player hit certain triggers. Solution: attach an invisible waterwheel covered in triggers to the player model.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I missed that. That's hilarious!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:laffo:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Similarly to this, the original Wing Commander would always crash the memory manager whenever the game was terminated, so the developers just changed the "Memory manager has crashed" error message to read "Thank you for playing Wing Commander!" and shipped it that way.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inco posted:

Similarly to this, the original Wing Commander would always crash the memory manager whenever the game was terminated, so the developers just changed the "Memory manager has crashed" error message to read "Thank you for playing Wing Commander!" and shipped it that way.

lmao

thank you for playing star citizen!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Someone discovered that in Smash Ultimate, if two Isabelles try to fish for the same assist item things... go badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yRRPbRx6s

haveblue has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

The free market baby! Art of the deal!!

Morrowind's economy, nay systems, were so broken, it was insane. A friend crafted a Daedric great sword that dealt a lethal amount of damage within a radius and subsequently broke, meaning he had a cell-wide nuke should anything ever go pear shaped. I think this was within the first few tiers of the Mage's Guild.

You don't even need a sword to do that, Morrowind was the last Elder Scrolls game to support "cast when used" enchantments and I'm pretty sure this kind of shenanigan was why. Even a basic ring and a rat soul was enough to make the magical equivalent of a rapid fire rocket launcher -- sure, it ran out after a dozen shots, but more rats to refill it with aren't hard to come by.

And unlike normal spells, cast-when-used enchantments do not make skill checks or play casting animations; they always succeed and cast as fast as you can click the mouse.

The ultimate caster in Morrowind is an enchanter who knows dozens of spells they are completely incapable of casting, hauling around half a tonne of jewelry imbued with versions of those spells more powerful than anyone could ever cast and capable of whipping them out in an instant.

The management accepts no responsibility for crashing the game by casting two dozen 100m-radius magical nukes with four elements worth of particle effects attached in the space of a second

Holy poo poo, this is a pro click. At least watch until you get to the Nintendogs.

ToxicFrog has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Dec 17, 2018