Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

moush posted:

I hope this isn't as doom and gloom as people are making it out to be. Dota 2 is pretty successful and probably has a smaller skeleton team than HotS did, so there could be a future where HotS just slowly creeps along and remains fun.

Dota 2 also has The International.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

BRJohnson posted:

My brother just made a good point: HotS is the "casual MOBA", why would losing the Pro scene be that big a deal when it's a moba for casuals? I mean, I certainly haven't ever watched a game of Heroes or paid attention to the e-sports side of it... And from what I've seen, the player base is at large even worse than I am. So there'll still be a player base! The same bad players, sure, but I bet my MMR goes up!

They're also removing developers from the game team. Meaning fewer changes, fewer hero releases, and good luck having the game be something fun.

Being a "casual" moba is what kills this game.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Lid posted:

Dota 2 also has The International.

True, but that's because Dota 2 has always been a hardcore competitive game, HotS never was.

PUBG and Fortnite both have terrible esports scenes, so games don't need them to succeed.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I reckon Dota 2 is the premier e-sports MOBA as it is so convoluted and ridiculously designed that it is fascinating to watch at its highest level. HOTS was fun for mortals like me as they simplified or removed a lot of the things about DOTA like last hitting, gold/items, 40+ minute games etc.

I burnt out on it off the back of some games with mates that were worse than any QM I’ve ever experienced. No soak, terrible calls, SGT Hammer sieging buildings alone and being obliterated by the enemy teams rotation etc. it just seemed like a massive waste of time. Now that they’ve removed a lot of the support I probably won’t play it again.

It’s tough because MOBAs can be really fun but are also a terrible complicated game for nerds

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I think Overwatch stole most of the casual moba crowd even though it's a different genre because it fills a lot of the same gaps.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

lucifirius posted:

They're also removing developers from the game team. Meaning fewer changes, fewer hero releases, and good luck having the game be something fun.

Being a "casual" moba is what kills this game.

You say "good luck having the game be something fun", but obviously you already do not enjoy this game. I believe within the last few pages you actually said you'd given up playing. If I still enjoy the game, having less updates hardly hurts my experience. I only just started playing Mal'Ganis and Orphea yesterday, and I would have waited longer if I wasn't trying to get those sweet sweet holiday drops.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

BRJohnson posted:

You say "good luck having the game be something fun", but obviously you already do not enjoy this game. I believe within the last few pages you actually said you'd given up playing. If I still enjoy the game, having less updates hardly hurts my experience. I only just started playing Mal'Ganis and Orphea yesterday, and I would have waited longer if I wasn't trying to get those sweet sweet holiday drops.

Yeah the game has clearly been on life support for a while, I don't see what will really change.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

BRJohnson posted:

My brother just made a good point: HotS is the "casual MOBA", why would losing the Pro scene be that big a deal when it's a moba for casuals? I mean, I certainly haven't ever watched a game of Heroes or paid attention to the e-sports side of it... And from what I've seen, the player base is at large even worse than I am. So there'll still be a player base! The same bad players, sure, but I bet my MMR goes up!

If HotS was the casual MOBA, they would be making so much money that they wouldn't be making this announcement. Fortnite is the casual BR. Overwatch kinda was the casual FPS for a bit. HotS coulda been THE casual MOBA, but weird balance, expensive microtransactions, and a glacial development pace prevented the casual scene from emptying their wallets into the game like they have elsewhere.

HGC alone matters because it means the complete collapse of online content creation for the game, which means fewer people being introduced to the game over time, which means fewer new players and even less money. There are also many players that felt in some way invested in the pro scene, mostly as fans, but some even as hopefuls for the scene. Those players will likely leave as well. Fewer players means a further drop in quality, which means even fewer players and even less money. That all adds up to a dead game. That is to say nothing about the fact that they are planning to work on the game even less going forward as is.

BRJohnson posted:

Another thing to add is, of course there are going to be some people who say none of this matters. The important thing to note is that your willingness to continue playing means little in the grand scheme of things. I can probably find 100 active players for some legitimately dead 10 year old game if I try hard enough. Perception is everything and right now the perception is already shifting toward the game being a sinking ship. As people leave, it will force more people to reevaluate their feelings as queues get longer and matches get worse. This isn't the first game in the world to experience this. You are welcome to keep playing and enjoying it, but understand that your personal enjoyment has no effect on the longevity of the game.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 14, 2018

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
People that truly wanted a MOBA were already playing League.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

F

still gonna dump more effort than i should into reworks, though

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

ToastyPotato posted:

If HotS was the casual MOBA, they would be making so much money that they wouldn't be making this announcement. Fortnite is the casual BR. Overwatch kinda was the casual FPS for a bit. HotS coulda been THE casual MOBA, but weird balance, expensive microtransactions, and a glacial development pace prevented the casual scene from emptying their wallets into the game like they have elsewhere.

HGC alone matters because it means the complete collapse of online content creation for the game, which means fewer people being introduced to the game over time, which means fewer new players and even less money. There are also many players that felt in some way invested in the pro scene, mostly as fans, but some even as hopefuls for the scene. Those players will likely leave as well. Fewer players means a further drop in quality, which means even fewer players and even less money. That all adds up to a dead game. That is to say nothing about the fact that they are planning to work on the game even less going forward as is.

Another thing to add is, of course there are going to be some people who say none of this matters. The important thing to note is that your willingness to continue playing means little in the grand scheme of things. I can probably find 100 active players for some legitimately dead 10 year old game if I try hard enough. Perception is everything and right now the perception is already shifting toward the game being a sinking ship. As people leave, it will force more people to reevaluate their feelings as queues get longer and matches get worse. This isn't the first game in the world to experience this. You are welcome to keep playing and enjoying it, but understand that your personal enjoyment has no effect on the longevity of the game.

Good post, I don't disagree with your points. I do feel this thread is reading rather like "welp uninstall now", when in reality some of the people saying this were already saying it before news broke. I guess I'm just not in a hurry to actually HASTEN the inevitable demise.

I WILL get every hero to gold and I will NOT go back to Last Hitting. Not EVER I'll fight you all!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

BRJohnson posted:

Good post, I don't disagree with your points. I do feel this thread is reading rather like "welp uninstall now", when in reality some of the people saying this were already saying it before news broke. I guess I'm just not in a hurry to actually HASTEN the inevitable demise.

I WILL get every hero to gold and I will NOT go back to Last Hitting. Not EVER I'll fight you all!

Looking on as a now relative outsider this seems a camel broke camels back situation which has shredded the last of hope people had for HotS to be more than what it is and because it's officially "this is as good as it's going to get" it's now going to be dropped as well that's not good enough to maintain my patronage.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Midnightghoul posted:

Man, I wonder what is going on with Blizzard in the future considering they have nothing even close to new products aside from WCIII Remaster and well, you know what else.

They also have WoW Classic coming out as quickly as they can destroy WoW!

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Semper Fudge posted:

Why the gently caress would you announce that your pulling the plug on your own game right after the Immortal debacle?

Idiots.

Because Activision told them to and they have to dance now, cause Blizz is falling the gently caress apart.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Let's not even get into how WoW subscriber numbers are rumoured to be the lowest ever and the latest expansion bled users like nothing else in such a way that the idea of "they'll be back for the next expansion" for the first time ever is extremily shaky and they just may not.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Oh and that Hearthstone may finally have stopped printing money with MTG: Arena being the first true challenger with legs to it's CCG throne that casual and pros are migrating to. Blizzard is on fire.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
MTG Arena doesn't even have a drat mobile client yet. If anything is a threat to Blizz lately it's Epic.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I'm fairly sure the vast vast majority of Hearthstone players are not on mobile. It's client is awkward as hell. Shadowverse has a far superior mobile client and when was the last time people discussed Shadowverse.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I'm really sad about this news, HOTS has been one of my most played games the last couple years and this past year I just started getting into the eSports involved with it. Since HOTS had Blizzard behind it I always thought even if it was not doing that great Blizz would still keep it chugging along for the long run. Sadly this along with Diablo Immortal really has been a changing of the guard at Blizz, it is no longer the same company I grew up with that I thought could do no wrong.

In a way though I am not surprised HOTS did not make a lot of money. I have played it for years and nearly own all the heroes and I've probably own put down 10 to 20 bucks the past 3 years on the game.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
The idea of Blizz doubling down on Mobile games right at the time when A) Loot boxes in general might get banned in most countries and B) China is cracking down hard on Western Mobiles games entering it's market would make me worried if it wasn't for the fact that they have been dropping the ball so hard lately I think they covered it in butter.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Don't you guys got kapital?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

moush posted:

I hope this isn't as doom and gloom as people are making it out to be. Dota 2 is pretty successful and probably has a smaller skeleton team than HotS did, so there could be a future where HotS just slowly creeps along and remains fun.

As for the HGC stuff, I never personally could get into watching competitive HotS but I routinely watched competitive League so I'm not too sad about losing it.

If there is one thing Blizzard has proven, beyond a shadow of the doubt, in the past decade is the capability to put together a energized product team that produces as if they were all short timers a week away from retirement.

nessin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 14, 2018

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I mean it's not like they are gonna flip the switch on HoTS severs and services any time soon, for fucks sakes Diablo 2 still gets new ladder seasons from time to time. But the playerbase probably won't survive any extreme content/balance droughts which is a shame.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

nessin posted:

If there is one thing Blizzard has proven, beyond a shadow of the doubt, in the past decade is the capability to put together a energized product team that produces as if they were all short timers a week away from retirement.
... you think?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean it's not like they are gonna flip the switch on HoTS severs and services any time soon, for fucks sakes Diablo 2 still gets new ladder seasons from time to time. But the playerbase probably won't survive any extreme content/balance droughts which is a shame.

Diablo 2 and 3 can survive as a solo power farming experience for players to kill time in. HotS needs nine other people to even get started you can't drop in and play and queue times were ridiculously long when I left they can't have gotten better.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

gently caress you blizz and most of all gently caress you activision, bunch of shitheads.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
This sucks. Not only because the pace of new content and patches will slow down but because it’s one helluva way to gently caress over the HGC players one and a half week before Christmas. I loved watching the last HGC season and pretty much only watch pro streams on Twitch and now I guess many of them will quit out of either necessity or anger. Too bad. The game has so much potential.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I legit wonder if the overwatch pro players are slowly getting their plan b and c’s together after seeing how they just loving axed an entire esport from existence. Like, how can you trust a word these people say.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rexicon1 posted:

I legit wonder if the overwatch pro players are slowly getting their plan b and c’s together after seeing how they just loving axed an entire esport from existence. Like, how can you trust a word these people say.

especially since they told the orgs that they weren't cancelling HGC then told them all by email not long after that they were all canned

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

NeurosisHead posted:

especially since they told the orgs that they weren't cancelling HGC then told them all by email not long after that they were all canned

They literally just added 8 new teams to OWL this season. I don't think they're done with it yet.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kamikaze Raider posted:

They literally just added 8 new teams to OWL this season. I don't think they're done with it yet.

I'm guessing Blizzard is done with it when Activision says they're done with it, regardless of what Blizzard's actual plans and operating procedure were up until that point.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Kamikaze Raider posted:

They are so successful! They couldn’t possibly cancel this thing!
*proceeds to not make fortnite money*

:tif:

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Blizzard and Activision are the same company, not sure why people keep separating them. That they release games under Blizzard and Activision and have separate teams for each game doesn't make a difference, upper management is still the same and both divisions have the same demands and requirements for profitability.

The people that made Blizzard what they are don't work there anymore, and it seems more like it's a good time to say good bye.

Edit: stop defending Blizzard employees, their incompetence is the reason they couldn't make this game profitable, and it has nothing to do with esports spending.

lucifirius fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 14, 2018

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What companies should I give my money to then? Where did the good blizz people go?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I honestly am not sure if any OG Blizzard people found much success after leaving Blizzard.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Hellgate: London

TWO

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

lucifirius posted:

Stop defending Blizzard employees

How bout naw. Upper management sucks rear end, but most of the people just working on the game were doing what they could with how dwindling much they were given.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 14, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

As another casual QP only player, if this announcement came a few weeks ago I'd also think whatever, it's only worrisome in light of the matchmaking changes. If they reverse those I'd be fine with the game staying in "maintenance mode" however.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

they literally lied to all the pro scene sending them an email 2 weeks ago saying HGC was definitely on, and would have equal or greater funding during the next year.

lol

winning crucible and getting ready for HGC and you're told jk no job no money

talkingtrees was pretty emotional after winning crucible, and now months later they just tell everyone to beat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Yardbomb posted:

How bout naw. Upper management sucks rear end, but most of the people just working on the game were doing what they could with how dwindling much they were given.

Don't pretend that every change in the past year has been excellent. It's clear with a lot of the recent reworks and heroes that they were trying to emulate League a lot with design and in the end it didn't matter.