Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I've been reading a lot of upbeat, optimistic sci-fi lately, but I'd like a change of pace. What are the best books that involve first contact with an alien species that maybe doesn't really go as planned? I'm sure there's tons, but the only one I've read in recent memory is Blindsight.

Lem’s Fiasco is brilliant. Deeply pessimistic but also funny and has some of the best descriptions of alien landscapes I’ve ever encountered.

Greg Bear’s Forge of God is pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone remember the title of a book that came out this year, or maybe to be released early next year, about a bioship crewed exclusively by women? I don't remember enough about it to find the title again. I remember it sounding a little on the weird side.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So do the Puppeters in Nivens works ever get whats coming to them or do they continue being conniving, genocidal utter bastards with everyone else basically shrugging their shoulders.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone remember the title of a book that came out this year, or maybe to be released early next year, about a bioship crewed exclusively by women? I don't remember enough about it to find the title again. I remember it sounding a little on the weird side.

The Stars Are Legion. It's quite good and extremely full of fluids. Kameron Hurley has a real gift for viscera and body...not horror, but presence? Making you pay attention to yourself as a sack of sacs.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

occamsnailfile posted:

This is true, I mean she was kind of children's-lit focused. The reason for it was that her parents ran a small private school for boys, and basically just ignored their three daughters and left them in an upstairs housing area with very few toys or books. So Diana learned to tell stories to amuse herself and the other two. She branched out in her writing to more adult works later on, and she was certainly never afraid of writing complex and engaging stories for children that can be enjoyed by adults.

Reading her account in Reflections of her childhood is honestly kind of horrifying.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

General Battuta posted:

The Stars Are Legion. It's quite good and extremely full of fluids. Kameron Hurley has a real gift for viscera and body...not horror, but presence? Making you pay attention to yourself as a sack of sacs.

That was one of the books I came across when I was looking but the Amazon description threw me off because it doesn't say anything about the ships being biological or the female cast.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

TOOT BOOT posted:

That was one of the books I came across when I was looking but the Amazon description threw me off because it doesn't say anything about the ships being biological or the female cast.

She probably wanted to sell more books by luring in those who just wanted some good ol Hard Science Fiction

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

General Battuta posted:

She probably wanted to sell more books by luring in those who just wanted some good ol Hard Science Fiction

Which gets frustrating for those of us who are looking for more weird sci-fi than hard sci-fi. And feminist sci-fi is always a plus!

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

reamde was the Neal Stephenson book with the ultra-smug protagonists responsible for 90% of the deaths in the book and a literal deus-ex cougar.
Wouldn't recommend reamde to anyone, even Neal Stephenson fans.

The cougar was Stephenson's own boredom made manifest.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

So do the Puppeters in Nivens works ever get whats coming to them or do they continue being conniving, genocidal utter bastards with everyone else basically shrugging their shoulders.

The last Known Space series I read had Niven and Edward Lerner as co-authors (so I assume completely written by Lerner), in which every other Known Space short and novel is re-told from a Puppeteer perspective. I think I remember it ending with a change in Puppeteer government so they will eventually become less lovely, maybe, but no real consequences or reparations for all the galactic manipulating they've done. I could be wrong, it was a while ago and I wasn't a huge fan of it. I'd say give it a miss unless you're a Niven or KS completionist.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Lem’s Fiasco is brilliant. Deeply pessimistic but also funny and has some of the best descriptions of alien landscapes I’ve ever encountered.

Greg Bear’s Forge of God is pretty decent.

Cool, I got Fiasco the last time it was on sale purely on name recognition, I'll read it soon.

I read Forge of God a couple of years back and remember moderately enjoying it, though I couldn't tell you anything about it. I also remember starting Anvil of the Stars and being a little underwhelmed and not finishing it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Robot Wendigo posted:

The cougar was Stephenson's own boredom made manifest.

That makes the sequel to reamde doubly ominous.

For people who haven't touched reamde good call avoid reamde there was a deus ex machina cougar in the back half of the book that killed off bad guys whenever one of the ultra-smug protagonists got in trouble. Calling it a deus ex cougar because it actively ran towards gunfire (unlike any other animal in existence), teleported to wherever Stephenson needed it to be, and finally killed the main bad guy during the final climatic shootout with ultra- smug protagonist #1 (wikipedia summary of reamde lies).

Finished the two other books in Martha Well's Fall of Ile-Rien series. Not bad, but unless you read Martha Wells DotN first, one of the side characters introduced in the 2nd fall of Ile-Rien book will come off as a mary sue that makes Honor Harrington almost seem reasonable.
After finishing the Ile-Rien books, two of the Murderbot short stories, and 3 of the Raksura books.....Socially awkward main characters longing to belong while being combat badasses is Martha Well's scifi/fantasy genre niche. Murderbot, Tremaine, Ilias, and Moon all fit that main character description.

Finally, Stanislaw Lem's FIASCO would be a 5+ book series with any other author, and also contains a crazy amount throwaway concepts that Lem only used for FIASCO, which by themselves could power entire spinoff series. Anyone who hasn't read FIASCO needs to read it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Poldarn posted:

The last Known Space series I read had Niven and Edward Lerner as co-authors (so I assume completely written by Lerner), in which every other Known Space short and novel is re-told from a Puppeteer perspective. I think I remember it ending with a change in Puppeteer government so they will eventually become less lovely, maybe, but no real consequences or reparations for all the galactic manipulating they've done. I could be wrong, it was a while ago and I wasn't a huge fan of it. I'd say give it a miss unless you're a Niven or KS completionist.

Fleet of World ends with the government change happening/begining and the abducted slave race of humans getting full control of their ship planet and loving off but also realizing the Puppeteers basically ran a rape camp where they mind wiped human woman and basically had them give birth constantly to give them genetically damaged human individuals to play around with. The humans raid the camp before they leave but literally just take everyone there and the gene banks or whatever. No Puppeteers get any consquences besides the humans loving off.

This is after the colonists learn that their ancestors ship was attacked for the sole purpose of giving the Puppeteers breeding stock to mess around with, with the same mindwiping happening, which we learn about because they take the wife of rhe guy who is making a record of it all.

Its pretty bad because its basically outlined that they are the reason for most of the horrible things which happen in the series and a bunch of people know but everybody seems to just shrug it off.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 13, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I've been reading a lot of upbeat, optimistic sci-fi lately, but I'd like a change of pace. What are the best books that involve first contact with an alien species that maybe doesn't really go as planned? I'm sure there's tons, but the only one I've read in recent memory is Blindsight.
Unto Leviathan is fantastic and I enjoyed it even more than Blindsight (probably because it's less science-y and more philosophical).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MockingQuantum posted:

The Three Body Problem.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

I think Rejoice! A Knife to the Heart is kind of that, but I've not got round to it yet. The title alone is enough to make me smile.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think Rejoice! A Knife to the Heart is kind of that, but I've not got round to it yet. The title alone is enough to make me smile.

It’s not good. Erikson is sad that human extinction is imminent and inevitable and wrote some fan fiction to cope.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jedit posted:

The Three Body Problem.

2nded. Great sci fi by chinese author Cixin Liu

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mewse posted:

2nded. Great sci fi by chinese author Cixin Liu

I didn't like it at the time, but as I said in either this thread or the recommendation thread, I did the audiobook and I think that may have been a bad choice. I think it's a book you need to be able to approach at your own pace, or you lose a lot of detail in the "game" section. I think I might have to do a re-read now that it's been a minute since my first time through.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I didn't like it at the time, but as I said in either this thread or the recommendation thread, I did the audiobook and I think that may have been a bad choice. I think it's a book you need to be able to approach at your own pace, or you lose a lot of detail in the "game" section. I think I might have to do a re-read now that it's been a minute since my first time through.

There is a lot of nuance that I think you might have to read rather than listen to audio. It was really interesting to me because some of the nuts and bolts about how he talks about politics, intent, the nature of deception seemed very Chinese or Confucian(?), not how I'm used to thinking about them in western writing

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah I listened to the audiobook and haven't read the actual and it reeeeeally did not translate well to audio. The long technical sections were a huge drag, and had I been reading, they would have been easy to skim over.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

It’s not good. Erikson is sad that human extinction is imminent and inevitable and wrote some fan fiction to cope.

Rejoice is seriously one of the worst books I've read in years.
Every scene is either
1) His self-insert protagonists pontificate about how evil capitalism and global consumerism are and how great it is that The Aliens are putting a stop to all that.
2) His incredibly obvious Trump/Putin/Murdoch analogues twirl their moustaches and cackle about how they're totally going to use this to grind everyone under their boots and make a profit.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

Rejoice is seriously one of the worst books I've read in years.
Every scene is either
1) His self-insert protagonists pontificate about how evil capitalism and global consumerism are and how great it is that The Aliens are putting a stop to all that.
2) His incredibly obvious Trump/Putin/Murdoch analogues twirl their moustaches and cackle about how they're totally going to use this to grind everyone under their boots and make a profit.

It's actually incredibly good and correct.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I dunno I always feel pretty gross when I read other peoples' political strawman anti-fantasies, even if I enjoy the book. Blackfish City was another one like this (pointless housing crisis on a floating city) turns out you just have to reach the heavily guarded 'give poor people houses' button.

E: It's like when you say something you have been brooding on for a while. You thought it was pretty good, but out loud it's just really lame. Political end of the world fantasies are similarly personal IMO.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 13, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was looking for a book to read on vacation and picked up Seveneves. Turns our the Stephenson thread is long dead, but he's got a new book coming out soon so maybe somebody would do the needful. Anyway, this is definitely way easier to get into than the Baroque Cycle. I've been starting that like five times in printed word and audiobook form but despite the fascinating for me topic, I just kept getting bogged down in extremely detailed descriptions of everything without ever getting the feel for what the hell the plot is. Seveneves is way easier on that front and things keep moving at breakneck pace (by Stephenson standard at least) even if the characters suffer somewhat.

I'm still at around a third into "Ymir" so perhaps he'd get to it, but it's interesting that there's no real discussion of any alternatives to the Space Ark. Clearly that's the space story he wanted to tell and that's fine, but it's weird there's no mention of e.g. underground shelters at all other than by some redneck miners. Maybe it's a dumb idea but at least on the surface (hehehe) it does seem way more feasible to to just pack the 53k of the Gotthard tunnel full of vitamins, people and equipment, than to blast it all into space where it'll encounter all of the same hazards.

mewse
May 2, 2006

To be fair I don’t think Stephenson knew what the plot of the baroque cycle was at points

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Grimson posted:

It's actually incredibly good and correct.
It is correct but even as a left wing nut job I had to put it down multiple times because of how blatant the message was.

It also didn’t help that every character had the same loving voice. If you cut a section of the Canadian doctor’s POV and the African child soldier-turned-warlord and scoured them of plot details, you’d be unable to tell which was which.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

I was looking for a book to read on vacation and picked up Seveneves. Turns our the Stephenson thread is long dead, but he's got a new book coming out soon so maybe somebody would do the needful. Anyway, this is definitely way easier to get into than the Baroque Cycle. I've been starting that like five times in printed word and audiobook form but despite the fascinating for me topic, I just kept getting bogged down in extremely detailed descriptions of everything without ever getting the feel for what the hell the plot is. Seveneves is way easier on that front and things keep moving at breakneck pace (by Stephenson standard at least) even if the characters suffer somewhat.

I'm still at around a third into "Ymir" so perhaps he'd get to it, but it's interesting that there's no real discussion of any alternatives to the Space Ark. Clearly that's the space story he wanted to tell and that's fine, but it's weird there's no mention of e.g. underground shelters at all other than by some redneck miners. Maybe it's a dumb idea but at least on the surface (hehehe) it does seem way more feasible to to just pack the 53k of the Gotthard tunnel full of vitamins, people and equipment, than to blast it all into space where it'll encounter all of the same hazards.

In case you didn't know this, Stephenson began working on the novel after trying to come up with a simple premise that would result, millennia later, in the sort of multiple green-skinned "alien" spacefaring species that had actually all descended from humanity in the Star Trek universe.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I know I'm late to the party but I had several friends independently suggest it to me, so just finished The Traitor Baru Cormorant and really enjoyed it, even if it crushed my sad gay heart - it's been a long time since I actually literally lost sleep laying awake in bed over a book I'd finished reading. Ordered the second book, trying to balance discussing the first book with trying not to discuss it too much with people who've already read the second one.

e: I have a lot of stuff I kinda want to chew over but will go back and read what other people have posted.

Jedit posted:

The Three Body Problem.

Have this sitting in wait too, so I'm glad to see some favorable mentions of it here!

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 14, 2018

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Deptfordx posted:

Why is it cringey? Not disputing that it is, just haven't read it in 20+ years and a lot of stuff sailed over teenage me's head.
I too was reading it after a 20+ year hiatus. I'm no literary critic, but the writing seems really bad compared to the better-written books we get these days.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

gvibes posted:

I too was reading it after a 20+ year hiatus. I'm no literary critic, but the writing seems really bad compared to the better-written books we get these days.

I think it's a very good book but Brin is really into this gee-whiz holy-smokes style that infantilizes a lot of the dialogue. And there's at least some singing.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

mobby_6kl posted:

I just finished up Seveneves a few weeks ago... keep reading.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fiasco is great high-concept SF. Thing is, nobody else would have written it as a 5 or any number volume series given the ending. At least I can't think of anyone.

My first-contact recommendation is for Elizabeth Moon's Remnant Population. A colony has failed, so the settlers are being pulled out and sent somewhere else (always read the fine print in your contract). One elderly woman has decided that she isn't going and stays behind, happily tending her garden and rejoicing in the isolation. Suddenly, aliens. It's well thought out and with excellent characterizations. Highly recommended, and not just for this niche.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Strategic Tea posted:

I dunno I always feel pretty gross when I read other peoples' political strawman anti-fantasies, even if I enjoy the book. Blackfish City was another one like this (pointless housing crisis on a floating city) turns out you just have to reach the heavily guarded 'give poor people houses' button.

E: It's like when you say something you have been brooding on for a while. You thought it was pretty good, but out loud it's just really lame. Political end of the world fantasies are similarly personal IMO.

A “good” right wing nut job one is Neil Asher’s Owner series. Evil socialists have taken over earth and only John Galt can kill them all, destroy their orbital laser platform, fly to mars, kill them all on mars, and save the solar system with the help of self reliance and helpless bad guys who haven’t learned how to do anything themselves without the government handing them everything!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Velius posted:

A “good” right wing nut job one is Neil Asher’s Owner series. Evil socialists have taken over earth and only John Galt can kill them all, destroy their orbital laser platform, fly to mars, kill them all on mars, and save the solar system with the help of self reliance and helpless bad guys who haven’t learned how to do anything themselves without the government handing them everything!

Those books were such a loving whiplash when set up agains the Polity books.

I kept thinking, "there something subtle here I'm missing that will be revealed shortly", but nope. It's a blunt loving club to the head in terms of message.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I finally got around to starting season 2 of the expanse; it's good but does the plot with the annoying mars marine sergeant ever stop? Christ it's bad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

andrew smash posted:

I finally got around to starting season 2 of the expanse; it's good but does the plot with the annoying mars marine sergeant ever stop? Christ it's bad.

She gets waaaay better. Seriously.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
That's good because her current arc of complaining about not being allowed to murder civilians to her commanding officer and beating up her subordinate for being an immigrant is getting a little stale

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

To be fair I don’t think Stephenson knew what the plot of the baroque cycle was at points
Well that certainly explains a lot.

mdemone posted:

In case you didn't know this, Stephenson began working on the novel after trying to come up with a simple premise that would result, millennia later, in the sort of multiple green-skinned "alien" spacefaring species that had actually all descended from humanity in the Star Trek universe.
I went into it pretty much only knowing that the moon goes boom. But I can already kind of see how that might work out that way what with Julia setting the stage up for a coup and getting her rear end to Mars.

hannibal posted:

I just finished up Seveneves a few weeks ago... keep reading.
Got it, though once I get home it might take me another month to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
New Joe ledger novel's out. Turns out it's the final one. I thought he'd be pulling a Cussler or a Child and be writing them for, well, ever.