Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dennis McClaren posted:

That was my other worry before I posted. What if I spend $1k fixing all the leaks, only to have it leak again (naturally) in 2 months? It's a 30 year old car after all.
Then I would have felt like a real dick spending all that money and getting nothing else done with it.

Can you share more pictures of your wagon? It looks really nice. I hope you make it last another 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bought a used 2013 XC-90 last year with 110k on it and a stack of dealer maintenance records. It's got 135k on it now and going strong but is there a anything that's getting ready to explode on me in the near term?

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Animal posted:

Can you share more pictures of your wagon? It looks really nice. I hope you make it last another 20 years.

Thanks! I hope it does too. I drive it everyday, and it starts faster than any car I've owned. Really Zero mechanical issues with it, other than some small distractions.
Fun stuff includes - BBS wheels, lowered 2" all around, IPD suspension parts, reverse camera in dash, HID headlights, "B" cam swap, and some other stuff.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 14, 2018

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Proud Christian Mom posted:

saw a S90 the other day and oh my god that car is beautiful

The new S60 is a very nice looking car as well. I mean, almost all of the newest Volvos are really beautiful.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Seeing as I only have $1200 or so to spend after I take care of my other bills, I'm wondering where I should spend it? My thinking is that fixing the oil leak is the biggest concern. It's only a few drips everyday; but just as sure as the sun rises, I'm guaranteed several more drips of oil on my garage floor every morning.

Are you sure it's motor oil? Maybe power steering fluid.

What my buddy does to diagnose leaks is he puts the car up on a lift and sprays the poo poo out of it with brake cleaner. It gets the bottom of the engine clean and dry surprisingly well. Then he drives it for a week and puts it back up. Follow the oil as far forward as you can see it, and right above that is the leak. (wind blows oil backward).

On my R the PO did a full R&R of the angle gear to try and fix an oil leak when the oil was obviously coming from the front of the transmission case. We found a bolt missing there. Replaced it, no more leak.

Arson Daily posted:

Bought a used 2013 XC-90 last year with 110k on it and a stack of dealer maintenance records. It's got 135k on it now and going strong but is there a anything that's getting ready to explode on me in the near term?

I haven't been following the newer cars yet but so far I've heard nothing but good things. Swedespeed tends to stay on top of the new cars, you could check out the forum for your car and see what they're discussing.

Wait, that's still the P2 platform. They got it pretty bulletproof by then. What engine does it have?

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 15, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Are you sure it's motor oil? Maybe power steering fluid.

What my buddy does to diagnose leaks is he puts the car up on a lift and sprays the poo poo out of it with brake cleaner. It gets the bottom of the engine clean and dry surprisingly well. Then he drives it for a week and puts it back up. Follow the oil as far forward as you can see it, and right above that is the leak. (wind blows oil backward).

On my R the PO did a full R&R of the angle gear to try and fix an oil leak when the oil was obviously coming from the front of the transmission case. We found a bolt missing there. Replaced it, no more leak.

Pretty sure it's only oil. I can do more work investigating, but now that I'm taking it into the shop anyway, I'll let the Volvo pros I trust locate it.
I'll try that blake cleaner trick next time though.

Fortunately, my family helped me out with way more $ than I expected for Xmas, so now I can get the whole car fixed up mint. I'm stoked.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Gunk is actually made for the purpose of cleaning oily engines but brakleen is always handy.

I love 240s.

Oh also yeah all bushings always go bad but never ever try to do them yourself. Bentley suggests you can do it with a vise. You can’t. Take it to the machinist. That was a hard-learned lesson. gently caress press work.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My 2004 v70 started running rough when I tried to accelerate on the highway, so I pulled off and checked my codes at an auto zone and got these, basically

Got the car home, replaced all the plugs with ngk iridiums and cleared the codes before starting it up and got

Ah much better :shepicide:

I guess I better check the coils. Would worn plugs make them poo poo the bed?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

No. How's your oil look, and have you noticed any coolant loss?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
I expect you have an underperforming coil.

If you don't have a scanner, there's no point in shuffling the coil around and see the misfire move - it's probably just one (4) with 5 settings the misfire fault due to 4's issue.

I had that happen to me the other week couple hours from home in the evening, and was lucky to catch a local Volvo shop as they were closing. Fault on 2 and 4, turned out to be just 4.

I should really replace them all (and change the plugs too). Anyone have opinions on coils for an '05 R, cause I put some random non-bosch part and feel bad about it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You did bad and you are bad and you should feel bad.

I'm definitely a bosch/oem only guy on ignition parts. Can't say it's really necessary but I can say I've had a lot of trouble free miles with them.

Also slim, did you gap the plugs or just assume they were gapped correctly? They really need to have an under-spec gap, I always gap them to the bottom of the spec, which is .028". Lots of guys gap them at .026", especially if they run high boost pressure. Large gap is a recipe for misfire, especially under load.

On the flip side, I absolutely cannot find the coolant leak on this loving V50. Every time I think I've got it fixed I come out to a puddle. It's only coming off the frame rail, which indicates the reservoir but I've changed it twice and changed the coolant cap 4 times. I'm loving sick of it. I'm thinking my water pump is leaking but there are no signs of it. I suppose I should do the combustion gas test in the coolant because all signs point to overpressure in the cooling system but otherwise the car runs perfect.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 16, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

When you say "all signs point to overpressure" are the coolant hoses like rock hard after a drive? If it's overpressure I would expect it to develop other issues and more coolant leaks over time.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

I haven't been following the newer cars yet but so far I've heard nothing but good things. Swedespeed tends to stay on top of the new cars, you could check out the forum for your car and see what they're discussing.

Wait, that's still the P2 platform. They got it pretty bulletproof by then. What engine does it have?

3.2 straight 6 which is a gem. smooth, decent power and likes to rev. Glad to hear that this isn't a ticking time bomb and I'll def take a look at swedespeed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

angryrobots posted:

When you say "all signs point to overpressure" are the coolant hoses like rock hard after a drive? If it's overpressure I would expect it to develop other issues and more coolant leaks over time.

All I mean is it appears to exceed the cap pressure and vents out of the cap after I park. I need to get it up on a lift and look again, but in the past there has been zero evidence of leaking except off the frame rail.

Arson Daily posted:

3.2 straight 6 which is a gem. smooth, decent power and likes to rev. Glad to hear that this isn't a ticking time bomb and I'll def take a look at swedespeed.

The transmissions in those were originally terrible and failed every 80k or so, check and see if there's a year where they finally fixed it or something. That would really be the only time bomb.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

angryrobots posted:

P0128 is textbook stuck open thermostat since the coolant isn't getting up to temp in set amount of time, so I'd look into that as well.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

P0128 is textbook stuck open thermostat since the coolant isn't getting up to temp in set amount of time, so I'd look into that as well.

My worry was that it's more like, the coolant temp sensor may no longer be submerged because the coolant has found an alternative exit. :ohdearsass:

Let's hope it's not that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

angryrobots posted:

LloydDobler posted:

Also slim, did you gap the plugs or just assume they were gapped correctly? They really need to have an under-spec gap, I always gap them to the bottom of the spec, which is .028". Lots of guys gap them at .026", especially if they run high boost pressure. Large gap is a recipe for misfire, especially under load.

Suburban Dad posted:

The low coolant temp code has been a thing since I replaced the old thermostat unit, but just during cooler weather. Pretty annoying that a brand new OEM thermostat would be throwing codes.

Already moved the coil around, it's definitely the issue. I'll get an OEM one here in a couple days(yay being a 4 hour drive from IPD), probably a thermostat too. I didn't check the gap because I though I read somewhere you shouldn't screw with the gap on iridium plugs. I'll doublecheck once the new coil goes in.

Edit: Oh wait, I got the thermostat housing from rock auto, not IPD. Thanks, Dorman.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 17, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You just have to be careful and use something like this to check and set the gap cause it's real easy to damage the electrode.

Glad the tstat code was something you knew about...I was assuming the worst. :v:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

On the flip side, I absolutely cannot find the coolant leak on this loving V50.

Finally found the god drat coolant leak. As always, it's the simplest thing. I had a god drat loose hose clamp on the oil cooler. Tightened the gently caress out of it so it should be fixed, but if it comes back at least I know where to look. I couldn't find it before because without the belly pan the cooler was always dried by the wind and heat. Plus, I know I was leaking from the reservoir and fixing that made this worse. But now that I have the belly pan on it, I just dropped it and there was a big white spot of dried coolant right under the oil cooler, and when I touched one of the hoses a drop leaked out.

After I tightened it up I pumped the cooling system up to 7 psi and it held just fine, no drips for a half hour. I figured that's a good enough garage test, we'll see tomorrow if it's finally truly sealed up tight.

But I feel a huge relief knowing that's taken care of, I can daily it for confidence and hand it over to my daughter next year.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Chiming in to say I'm still really happy with the XC70 we got last month. One thing that I really miss though is having Bluetooth music streaming or an auction cord to use my phone on long trips.

I know there are plenty of aftermarket stereos I can put in, but I'd rather not have something really flashy alongside all the other basic Volvo instrumentation.

Do any of you have any aftermarket stereos you feel fit a 2000s Volvo well?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there are any aftermarket stereos that fit any car interior well end stop.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

If you're happy with the factory sound, there's an adapter that will give you aux in and bluetooth in. I think it's a GROM unit. Otherwise just buy the FACTORY double DIN kit and stick the blackest square you can find in it.

Or spend insane money on a Bluepower unit, I hear the quality has improved. The first generation were all poo poo. But it's a stock looking directly compatible android unit that does everything a modern unit does. A buddy of mine has one and he loves it. He even integrated both front and rear parking cameras so he doesn't crunch his front splitter on curbs.

https://www.bluepower.se/en/product...16-version.html

The non-canbus unit is on sale for around $400 but I'd spend the extra on steering wheel control. It's there, and very nice while driving.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm pretty happy with the android auto unit i've installed. MVX-2400H. Android Auto and backup cam.
I even got the buttons to 95% color match the yellow/white of the interior lights at night now.

Only thing i'd add is the steering wheel controls when I replace the speakers/do any more interior work. They're nice to have.

This picture was taken before i balanced the light/button color:

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

If you're happy with the factory sound, there's an adapter that will give you aux in and bluetooth in. I think it's a GROM unit. Otherwise just buy the FACTORY double DIN kit and stick the blackest square you can find in it.

Or spend insane money on a Bluepower unit, I hear the quality has improved. The first generation were all poo poo. But it's a stock looking directly compatible android unit that does everything a modern unit does. A buddy of mine has one and he loves it. He even integrated both front and rear parking cameras so he doesn't crunch his front splitter on curbs.

The non-canbus unit is on sale for around $400 but I'd spend the extra on steering wheel control. It's there, and very nice while driving.

Honestly the factory sound is pretty garbage but that GROM thing looks like the best fit for me, thanks!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

LloydDobler posted:

Wow, I wish these guys made stuff for the P80 chassis. I'd be all over a modern HU that looks factory in the C70.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I'm in the middle of doing both my rear delta links( suspension arm bushing) in my 850 and holy hell that's not a fun job. I bought the Volvo tool for pressing the bushings in and out, but its of poor design and broke getting the old bushings out. It looks like this.

Problem is that the press force is made by turning threads and putting loads on the threads fucks them in short order. The fact that the threaded rod is offset without a matching one on the other side ment i bent the threaded rod binding the "finger" end even more. Both the brass bearings in the clamp end got pushed out as well.
Has anyone gotten the fitting back in without a tool? Hammering it in seems hard but could maybe work. I'm not keen on spending another $100 on a new tool.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I don't have the link to it saved; but there is at least one really excellent video on how to make your own Volvo bushing tool at home, on Youtube. I can't remember what volvo enthusiast or 200/700/800/900 owner it was that posted it - but I do remember it's pretty easy to make, durable by design, and works great. Might try a youtube search.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Dennis McClaren posted:

I don't have the link to it saved; but there is at least one really excellent video on how to make your own Volvo bushing tool at home, on Youtube. I can't remember what volvo enthusiast or 200/700/800/900 owner it was that posted it - but I do remember it's pretty easy to make, durable by design, and works great. Might try a youtube search.

This is the only one I found for the 850. I belive that the tool is proprietary for only the 850 series and its direct descendants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPNj5XHxnFk
I don't have a welder or any fabrication tools so that would not work for me.

I managed to get the new bushing in with a ratchet strap, hammer, punch and plenty of grease anyway. Glad the tool at least got the old one out while on its deathbed.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Humbug posted:

This is the only one I found for the 850. I belive that the tool is proprietary for only the 850 series and its direct descendants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPNj5XHxnFk
I don't have a welder or any fabrication tools so that would not work for me.

I managed to get the new bushing in with a ratchet strap, hammer, punch and plenty of grease anyway. Glad the tool at least got the old one out while on its deathbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXq05Z6TkdE

This was the video I was speaking of. Too bad it's for a 240 and might not be applicable for your next bushing change.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Dennis McClaren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXq05Z6TkdE

This was the video I was speaking of. Too bad it's for a 240 and might not be applicable for your next bushing change.

Thanks. Its a good video, but not applicable to the 850 unfortunately. I'm actually not sure 850s have any normal serviceable press in bushings like that. It's all pre assemblies in the front control arms and weird stuff like the delta and anchorage bushings in the rear.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If anyone needs a replacement or spare 18" Triton (BBS) wheel there's one on ebay right now. There were two, but I snagged one for my C70 so I can finally have a full set of them again and not worry about getting the PO-destroyed one fixed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-C70-...S!-1:rk:21:pf:0

Not the prettiest, but better than a cracked/bent lip.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Frohike999 posted:

Chiming in to say I'm still really happy with the XC70 we got last month. One thing that I really miss though is having Bluetooth music streaming or an auction cord to use my phone on long trips.

I know there are plenty of aftermarket stereos I can put in, but I'd rather not have something really flashy alongside all the other basic Volvo instrumentation.

Do any of you have any aftermarket stereos you feel fit a 2000s Volvo well?

I've set up AUX inputs on two XC70s, and they both work well. One is the GROM unit, the other is from iMiv

The iMIV was set up in the rear (where the Volvo has a MELBUS cable already installed for a CD changer), while the GROM was setup in the front behind the receiver and glove box. I think the iMIV's quality was a bit better, and setup was definitely easier, but neither was impossibly difficult. Both operate by emulating the 10-disc CD changer and providing audio that way. Using the AUX, I have a cheap bluetooth dongle plugged into Aux and USB power from a 12V which works decently.

I hear using an adapter with native iPod support (like the higher end iMIV units) allows you to use steering wheel controls for track changes, so that could be a benefit. I'm not positive.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

1987 240dl lowered 2in. all around..

When I bought the car it had several different tires. One needed to be replaced immediately in the rear. I bought a new 205/55r16 tire, and replaced the almost blown original.

This weekend, I went to buy the other 3 new tires. I bought the same brand/type/size tire for the other 3. Well, it turns out I have problems now.

The original front tires must have been a different size than the ones I replaced them with, because these new ones rub the front fenders on turns. The rear tires are fine and don't rub, but I guess maybe the front of the car is lowered a little more than the rear?
So I assume I need 2 new front tires that have a lower sidewall. I just bought these new from Discount Tire, so I don't think I can just exchange them for ones that fit; I didn't buy a warranty.

Is there anything I can do here to remedy the situation short of having to purchase 2 new front tires with shorter sidewalls that won't rub?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dennis McClaren posted:

1987 240dl lowered 2in. all around..

When I bought the car it had several different tires. One needed to be replaced immediately in the rear. I bought a new 205/55r16 tire, and replaced the almost blown original.

This weekend, I went to buy the other 3 new tires. I bought the same brand/type/size tire for the other 3. Well, it turns out I have problems now.

The original front tires must have been a different size than the ones I replaced them with, because these new ones rub the front fenders on turns. The rear tires are fine and don't rub, but I guess maybe the front of the car is lowered a little more than the rear?
So I assume I need 2 new front tires that have a lower sidewall. I just bought these new from Discount Tire, so I don't think I can just exchange them for ones that fit; I didn't buy a warranty.

Is there anything I can do here to remedy the situation short of having to purchase 2 new front tires with shorter sidewalls that won't rub?

Try taking it to a shop that has a fender roller, or do the DIY method with a baseball bat and a heat gun or something.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Problem solved. Took it back to discount tire and they just swapped them out for a full new set of tires with a lower profile. I was surprised they did it no charge but awesome.

So I've put in a TON of work on the 240 wagon over the last two weeks. It's really feeling and driving like a new car. In addition to the new rubber on the floor, I've also done -

-Complete fluid service flushing and replacing ALL fluids
-Replaced front sway bar bushings
-Replaced front sway bar end link bushings
-Alignment
-New fuel filter
-New Brake pads
-New timing belt (OIL LEAK FIXED!!)
-New Timing belt cover
-Total replacement of center support bearings, and U-joints.
- wiring harness fixed all around

The only mechanical reliability issue I have now is a small transmission leak, a few drops from the back of the trans. Not something I'm worried about rn, plus I have new tranny gaskets/seals and the tranny overdrive delete kit from IPD coming in the mail. So when it's all here I'll get the last issue fixed. I'm loving the 240 life everyday.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Every time you post it makes me want to get back to work on my 245 project.

Hurry up and gently caress off, winter.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dennis McClaren posted:

Problem solved. Took it back to discount tire and they just swapped them out for a full new set of tires with a lower profile. I was surprised they did it no charge but awesome.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about discount tire... They are currently constructing one here.

Also glad you're getting the car together. :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Discount's late owner was politically problematic, but the stores themselves are insanely customer-service focused. Honestly they should have noticed the different tire sizes before they even sold you anything.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

When I picked the car up from the Volvo shop after all my repairs last week, they told me the tranny had a leak. It's progressed from just a couple ignorable drops every morning, to more and more everyday.
Is it okay to drive the 240 with a transmission leak for a short-term?

I'm totally broke after the holidays and won't be seeing any paychecks or student loan checks that I can use for a few weeks, so I can't afford any repairs right now. I only drive the 240 short distances of 2-5 miles daily. Never any long trips.
Is the best advice to just keep an eye on the tranny fluid level everyday, and keep filling it up with tranny fluid to keep it in the "safe" zone, until I can afford to get it fixed?

I'm just super paranoid and worried because my 91' BMW 735il died the slow death of a leaking transmission and I don't want to make the same mistake and lose this car to a blown tranny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless it's spewing fluid in such a way that it can't maintain pressure, then you're fine as long as you keep enough fluid in it. The question is what is leaking and why - if it could suddenly start puking it all out while driving, that's a problem.