Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Whitlam posted:

Genuine question for the thread: is Australia still the loving worst, or has America overtaken us now? I feel like we may beat them in terms of duration that we've been doing our poo poo, but is that enough to seal the deal? Nauru is terrible and nobody ITT is defending it, but I feel like that sting operation and other things they've done at least match us, if not overtake.

I don't know, they haven't tortured some women into self immolation yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Cool guy bursting into rooms telling everybody the breaking news about this bad dude named obama

lol if you don’t think he’s still enormously popular

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

obamer? never met her!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

TheMightyHandful posted:

Per capita, we are the worst carbon emitters, we may as well be the worst at human rights too

There was a news article a couple of days ago about Australia claiming credit for beating the Kyoto agreement as counting towards our commitment for this Paris agreement. Also the reason we beat the Kyoto target was because land clearance didn't count? It's was difficult to understand

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/12/australia-likely-to-use-controversial-kyoto-loophole-to-meet-paris-agreement

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1073459526676795393

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Its OK to be right.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jonah Galtberg posted:

lol if you don’t think he’s still enormously popular

Oh poo poo good comeback guy real relevant

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lol if you don't think *some irrelevant poo poo*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Trains: hosed
Trams: hosed
Roads: hosed
Mobile networks: hosed

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Careful, that'll get you a probe on PYF.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why has the NT government declared bankruptcy?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Apparently we recognized Israel as Jerusalems capital

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lol channel 7 tracked down George Pell

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Apparently we recognized Israel as Jerusalems capital

A nice compromise position then?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol Morrison makes Bali a danger zone for Aussie tourists that’ll go down well with the battlers

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Got a call from polling being done by fairfax, guess borders, negative gearing and capital gains are the big issues.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Lol if you don't think *some irrelevant poo poo*

obama himself is irrelevant but the mode of politics he represents/represented is not

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lizard Combatant posted:

Got a call from polling being done by fairfax, guess borders, negative gearing and capital gains are the big issues.

What about maritime blasphemy though

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I bet this came about after Morrison misunderstood Dutton when he said they needed to scrap laws that might hinder the SS.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Solemn Sloth posted:

He hung up mid rant

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

There was a news article a couple of days ago about Australia claiming credit for beating the Kyoto agreement as counting towards our commitment for this Paris agreement. Also the reason we beat the Kyoto target was because land clearance didn't count? It's was difficult to understand

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/12/australia-likely-to-use-controversial-kyoto-loophole-to-meet-paris-agreement

Pretty sure it’s using land that we couldn’t have cleared but didn’t as an offset, but really haven’t read enough and the article doesn’t explain it at all

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I like that it's basically an accepted fact that Melbourne will flood to knee deep water on major roads a few times a year now. Makes for good twitter content

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

TheMightyHandful posted:

Pretty sure it’s using land that we couldn’t have cleared but didn’t as an offset, but really haven’t read enough and the article doesn’t explain it at all

We didn't go out of our way to destroy the environment for no benefit (this one time), praise us!

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Fairfax doesn’t exist.

I assume you mean “Nine”?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

I like that it's basically an accepted fact that Melbourne will flood to knee deep water on major roads a few times a year now. Makes for good twitter content

glub glub glub

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ShoeFly posted:

Fairfax doesn’t exist.

I assume you mean “Nine”?

That's what they said :shrug:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Whitlam posted:

Genuine question for the thread: is Australia still the loving worst, or has America overtaken us now? I feel like we may beat them in terms of duration that we've been doing our poo poo, but is that enough to seal the deal? Nauru is terrible and nobody ITT is defending it, but I feel like that sting operation and other things they've done at least match us, if not overtake.

Australia was never the loving worst. Our offshore torture program is terrible but it doesn’t hold a candle to Guantanamo or Abu Gharib or all the CIA blacksites we don’t even know about.

You can’t beat empire at its own game.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol the Vic Libs new president is an ex mp who got dumped at the election and is a massive social conservative, big opponent of the euthanasia laws that went through last term

“However, forces associated with Mr Kroger had been moving against Mr Clark in the past fortnight. They had cited comments Mr Clark had made years ago in parliament in which he said homosexuality was something people needed to “deal with”, comparing it to spina bifida or haemophilia.”

Also their new shadow cabinet got announced and 31 of their 37 MPs are named in it

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

BBJoey posted:

Australia was never the loving worst. Our offshore torture program is terrible but it doesn’t hold a candle to Guantanamo or Abu Gharib or all the CIA blacksites we don’t even know about.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Fair.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

There's obviously room in that cage for at least twice the number of children.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

bandaid.friend posted:

Yeah we are all about carbon accounting scams and remaining the worlds number one supplier of coal. That's on top of being the highest carbon emitters per capita. Make bank and cook books.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
We're not big, but we punch well above our weight when it comes to cruelty.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

its the super... of the future

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

BBJoey posted:

Without meaning to excuse my horrible homeland, your torture island was explicitly for refugees. We at least pretended everyone we were torturing was an 'enemy combatant' or a terrorist. I'd say it's a draw.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Halman posted:

Without meaning to excuse my horrible homeland, your torture island was explicitly for refugees. We at least pretended everyone we were torturing was an 'enemy combatant' or a terrorist. I'd say it's a draw.

It's explicitly for refugees who we pretend are all terrorists until proven otherwise.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Halman posted:

Equivocating between torture islands is not going to be fun but I'd say you're on the wrong side here.
-Many people on Guantanmo are conclusively completely innocent, and at least some of them were concluded to be innocent before being taken there. Pretending they're enemy combatants is actually worse, in my mind, than admitting that you're locking up refugees because they're refugees.
-At least three people in Guantanamo were literally tortured to death.
-People on Manus and Nauru at least have the hypothetical option of returning to their home country. People in Guantanamo are entirely at the whim of US authorities.
-People on Manus and Nauru are able to communicate with the outside world, as are the people who work with them (health agencies and the like). Good luck in Guantanamo.
-There is an active movement - however marginalised - to get people from Manus and Nauru to Australia. To the best of my knowledge, Guantanamo has fallen to the wayside of American politics.

None of this goes to Abu Gharib, the various war crimes the US is involved in every day, etc.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I’m not saying Dachau isn’t problematic, but at Auschwitz—

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol the Vic Libs new president is an ex mp who got dumped at the election and is a massive social conservative, big opponent of the euthanasia laws that went through last term

“However, forces associated with Mr Kroger had been moving against Mr Clark in the past fortnight. They had cited comments Mr Clark had made years ago in parliament in which he said homosexuality was something people needed to “deal with”, comparing it to spina bifida or haemophilia.”

Also their new shadow cabinet got announced and 31 of their 37 MPs are named in it

Dandrews is gotta be loving this news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-15/government-recognises-west-jerusalem-but-keeps-tel-aviv-embassy/10614226

Sadly it looks like it is going to be happening. ScoMo really thinks that anything Trump does is a great idea, doesn't he?