Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
mods will not blend with a beta no matter how basic the mod seems!!!

*also the beta exists to test vanilla so if you hump it with a mod wow

A public beta is exactly what it claims to be. There is a reason that it's opt-in and not just A Patch.

Sorry if I sound like a dick but loads of people that think any and all tests or updates or patches or whatever are just "lol money grubbing incompetent game devs"

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do you know it was the same lord? Skaven stacks are cheap and you can’t see whether anyone is in the city until you attack it. Sometimes they’ll have two stacks shuffle who is inside the city and who is standing near it.

Also, probably what happened is you had enough movement to enter the control zone of the enemy army but were just short of attacking.

About 95% positive. I don't fast forward turns and was keeping an eye on them to see if they were going to try and move and ambush or whatever. No lords left the area, and when I attacked them next turn, it was only the one lord. I still won because saurus are loving amazing, but it was a fairly annoying fight.

You're probably correct on the movement thing. They really need to add some kind of icon on the sword icon if you can't actually reach it that turn. That last little bit of red line can be real hard to see depending on angle/area.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
Anyone have any tips on the Clan Angrund(Belegar Ironhammer) campaign? I'm playing on Hard, which normally isn't a major challenge for me. The problem is being unable to go anywhere because of being attacked from every direction by Skarsnik, Von Carstein, and the other Greenskins. Because of the upkeep penalty and high grudge severity I'm struggling to make any forward progress because I'm constantly going back and forth between settlements just to defend them. Is there some clever way of migrating to 8 Peaks without going into the negatives in my treasury? Should I have made a beeline for 8 Peaks before it became a level five hell fortress?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
So I've sunk some time into the game now and I'm looking for mods to change things up. In particular I'm curious what faction overhauls people think are good, particularly for the old world factions, as well as anything else that I might've missed. I've gotten some quality of life stuff like the faster end turn camera and better camera mods but I'm kinda blinded by choice on other things.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A public beta is exactly what it claims to be. There is a reason that it's opt-in and not just A Patch.

Sorry if I sound like a dick but loads of people that think any and all tests or updates or patches or whatever are just "lol money grubbing incompetent game devs"

No worries, you're right tbh. Besides I think I misunderstand how attrition works anyway, which is a bit embarrassing since I have almost 400 hours in this game. I disabled and removed the mods and tried on a new start as Empire, waited for VC to inevitably seize the moot and lo and behold I take attrition when they occupy it, despite low Vampiric corruption.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 12, 2018

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Sasgrillo posted:

Looks like the beta patch broke Vampiric attrition some how. Noticed on a Beastmen playthrough my armies were taking attrition in territories with >20% vampiric corruption. More entertaining in a territory with 60%+ CHAOS corruption, the Red Duke plopped down in a ruined village and I instantly started to take attrition.

The only mods I have installed are: Improved Border Colors, Skip Intro, Better Camera, Faster End Turn Camera.

I noticed the tool tip says "when in Undead territory", is that new? I never recall taking attrition in areas controlled by undead with sub 50% corruption.

This has been a thing for some time, as soon as undead owns the region you are in then you are subject to vampiric corruption attrition.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Loren posted:

Anyone have any tips on the Clan Angrund(Belegar Ironhammer) campaign? I'm playing on Hard, which normally isn't a major challenge for me. The problem is being unable to go anywhere because of being attacked from every direction by Skarsnik, Von Carstein, and the other Greenskins. Because of the upkeep penalty and high grudge severity I'm struggling to make any forward progress because I'm constantly going back and forth between settlements just to defend them. Is there some clever way of migrating to 8 Peaks without going into the negatives in my treasury? Should I have made a beeline for 8 Peaks before it became a level five hell fortress?

This campaign was the toughest in the old world but has gotten more manageable with the item crafting dwarfs have now.

It has changed with VampC being added but you still have 2 real options on what to do. You can stay and fight which means kill Skarsnik, the Scavenblight guys and waves of orcs. This means you have to put up with lower quality troops for longer because of the upkeep increase for Belegar. Expand only when you can defend what you have. This method is slow (like about 130 turns) but eventually you'll take the Ekrund area and the Eight Peaks.

The second option is to secure the closest stuff and use it to launch into Ekrund for a quicker take of 8 peaks. The province to the north-east has an orc held minor settlement that is easy to take early. This method is harder as you'll have rebellions in most of what you take. It's higher stakes as you can lose the campaign easier.

Generally, get a lot of rangers and use them instead of artillery, take all there upgrades and Belegar and the Engineer. You'll need artillery eventually but try to make do. You won't be able to afford much of a second stack for a while. Don't lose your ancestor heroes as you might have restart the campaign if you lose them too early. Your lord and heroes should be improved at every chance you get - craft little items until they are kitted out and then get oathgold and trade resources to get the real good stuff. Dwarf warriors are an excellent holding unit but the great axe version are very underwhelming as killers (they grind out wins okay though). Taking too much damage to fight the next stack of orcs is the real challenge of this campaign- dwarfs in general don't avoid damage very well as their gameplan is to outlast the opposition. If you have 6 full orc stacks attack your starting province at once it means it might be time to restart the campaign. Taking the lightening strike skill can really help.

Have fun, this campaign is heaps of fun with a genuine challenge.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 13, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not necessarily. Plenty of mods at the moment have been updated for the current beta. Hell, the Legendary Lord Respec mod has been deprecated and replaced by a respec mod that only works with the beta patch. Except for Mousillon, everything by Mixu works fine (and even better than before, since now custom lords can be placed in offices) with the beta patch.

I mean, yes, you have to be careful because you won't get the "!" icon that indicates outdated mods.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos

A Perfect Twist posted:

...Have fun, this campaign is heaps of fun with a genuine challenge.

Thanks! I'm only like 40 turns in- it's probably salvageable if I'm willing to grit my teeth at losing the settlements I took outside of the starting region.

I hadn't thought of scrapping Arty in favor of more rangers. I might try that. Their reduced upkeep makes this very attractive.
This almost seems blasphemous when talking about dwarves, but with the speed/ammo/damage buffs that Belegar, tech tree, and the ghost dad give to rangers, is creating a skirmish-y type army viable? Especially with bugman rangers, I'm imagining harassing armies with multiple groups of rangers in between engagements with the basically unkillable ghost dads+Belegar.
Is this an instance where dwarf air units might not be totally worthless?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
last time i played belegar i took an army of several rangers and underwayed to 8 peaks. ghost dads fought in the gap while rangers peppered down the enemy. it was close but i took k8p

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

this khotep campaign feels like its

send heirotitan at them, get the infantry to clump around it then drop sandstorm after sandstorm on em

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zyla posted:

send heirotitan at them, get the infantry to clump around it then drop sandstorm after sandstorm on em

That is generally what I do when I have a heavens mage. Chuck my lord at the enemy and hurl down chain lightning once a mosh pit has formed around them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zyla posted:

To be fair, this is basically every TK start except Khalida(since she doesn't have a monster). Send your Monster Du Jour in to gather the whole enemy army and murder them with spells/chariots.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hunt11 posted:

That is generally what I do when I have a heavens mage. Chuck my lord at the enemy and hurl down chain lightning once a mosh pit has formed around them.

I love using Heaven mages, even if Life or High magic is better. There's something so satisfying with all the ways that you can just destroy the enemy with them. And you still get an amazing buff and debuff. I do wish Comet of Casandora was better balanced. (Same with Fiery Convocation from High. At least Arcane Unforging is better nowadays.)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Comet is awesome for messing up enemies in sieges. It also damages walls and gates. I've found Arcane Unforging meh - it doesn't damage lords and heroes that much, unless I miss something.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Loren posted:

Thanks! I'm only like 40 turns in- it's probably salvageable if I'm willing to grit my teeth at losing the settlements I took outside of the starting region.

I hadn't thought of scrapping Arty in favor of more rangers. I might try that. Their reduced upkeep makes this very attractive.
This almost seems blasphemous when talking about dwarves, but with the speed/ammo/damage buffs that Belegar, tech tree, and the ghost dad give to rangers, is creating a skirmish-y type army viable? Especially with bugman rangers, I'm imagining harassing armies with multiple groups of rangers in between engagements with the basically unkillable ghost dads+Belegar.
Is this an instance where dwarf air units might not be totally worthless?

After thinking of what I posted I started a new Angrund campaign with the new beta. Some of the red skills becoming yellow makes a lot of sense.

You can get obscene damage with rangers after all the character buffs and tech research. You can also do more ambush central army build as rangers can get speed buffs too. I always tried to mix it up. Dwarves are good at what they do but the Angrund campaign is about doing it differently because of the cost constraints

Generally when I get the flyers into the army they are not really game-changers. They're more like problem solvers as you can now chase routing troops and have quick flankers. They are decent.

I forgot to mention, use the heroes up-front to minimize damage to your troops. The ancestors have huge physical resists and only have big issues against Wurrzag's army (as he usually gets magical damage to everyone) and Grimgor when he's leveled. One of the Thanes has a starting bonus vs. large while the other has magical attacks with a higher weapon strength. Belegar starts off really strong and only gets better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyone got any tips for beating chaos as skaven in multiplayer? it feels like no matter what i bring chosen and dragon ogres 1v10 my rats, even if i bring rat ogres they usually have some chosen with halbers who just own my life and then when im getting some decent flanks off kholek wanders over, empties out a trash can, and puts my lord in it

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Endorph posted:

anyone got any tips for beating chaos as skaven in multiplayer? it feels like no matter what i bring chosen and dragon ogres 1v10 my rats, even if i bring rat ogres they usually have some chosen with halbers who just own my life and then when im getting some decent flanks off kholek wanders over, empties out a trash can, and puts my lord in it

In theory, getting rid of the biggies with globadiers would be useful and I'd put money on plague monk censor bearers backed with some slaves with spears to help sponge a bit to frontline as being at least not the worst in the world. It's not a matchup I play from the Skaven side much but it really does seem like it would be a rough one. Even though they aren't fantastic anymore, I'd also consider using a doomwheel to try and cause a little terror routing to help out your frontline. I can't imagine that that matchup favours Skaven at all but I think you need to try and mosh pit cheap units while protecting your lord and globes while they get rid of anything big. Honestly dealing with the chaos infantry, can't say what would work, they're just miles ahead of anything the Skaven can field.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i dont play mp so my advice is probably useless but war lightning protected by stormvermin with halberds and globadiers ?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

I dunno do this maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CKhu--zkQc
Note: helps if you're a Turin.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
skrolk is def the competitive pick here with all the direct damage spells. a few globadiers firing while ogres pin kholek or the other big targets down can do the job sometimes. a doomwheel can be good too. chaos is a really tough matchup for skaven though.. you need to bring and preserve armor piercing units AND use your magic well and it can still be an uphill battle. .

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there any scenario where you don't take Skrolk in multiplayer? Queek for dwarves?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Mordja posted:

I dunno do this maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CKhu--zkQc
Note: helps if you're a Turin.

Is there more information on this sort of heavy but spread out artillery setup? I haven't seen anything quite like this before and it looks fun.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is there more information on this sort of heavy but spread out artillery setup? I haven't seen anything quite like this before and it looks fun.

It's a variant of a high skill cap strat that works in most total war games. If you can manage a very wide, spread out line with lots of some kind of ranged weapons, it can often outmatch heavy hitting melee forces. It's because the ranged units are almost guaranteed to help string out and force apart a lot of enemy units and the hope is at least some of them will manage to deal a lot of free damage to the enemy. The twist here is it isn't that defended by cav which normally this kind of strat would be, but since chaos didn't take much cavalry itself it all worked out fine. It's less about theory and more about execution, you'd just want to practice breaking up forces into micro "armies" and managing them all individually so that they lead the enemy apart and let you focus down parts that you can beat and minimize your loss of ranged units everywhere else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah thanks for the advice all. I've been gunshy about using globadiers because its easy for forsaken or whatever to just mulch through the frontline and get to them, but at the same time its not like another unit of stormvermin is gonna stand up to forsaken any better.

The Crotch posted:

Is there any scenario where you don't take Skrolk in multiplayer? Queek for dwarves?
in theory i could see queek for dwarves but in practice you take skrolk for everything, yeah, you want a caster anyway and its not like queek is kholek or noctilus or something, you arent suddenly gaining some melee powerhouse if you bring queek out, dude still dies easily and cant stand up to most other melee lords even if he does a bit better against high tier infantry

and i dont even know what tretch is supposed to be good for. beastmen maybe?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
tretch is hard to lord snipe, some armies can be set up to murk the hell out of skrolk; one strat is to just punt him repeatedly with some flying monster into your own troops.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it just me or does the AI make really bad VSea stacks? Even by AI stack standards.

I'm looking at Noctilus in ME right now and he's got his starting units, three handgunners, three corpses, and then bombers all the way.

Which could be decent if bombers had deckhand melee stats! Hire me CA.

E: also does Khazrak infintely respawn in ME? I’ve killed his faction twice and he keeps coming with buffer stacks. It’s lame. I’m Orion and this time more than half his units are minotaurs and centigors. This kind of difficulty isn’t fun for me, it’s just a test of whether or not I know to prepare for an OTT gimmick stack

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 14, 2018

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Beastmen(and greenskin horde factions) have a chance to respawn if wiped out, there is events that spawn them and afaik its random which horde faction gets revived out of the ones not currently on the board.
But its all RNG, some campaigns I see the main beastmen wiped out early to then not see them again even 60+ turns later, can't say if chances are higher if player is WE.

Like in the wh1 WE mini campaign that was part of the main mechanic, when upgrading oak triggered beastmen invasions, but not sure if that translates over in any way to the ME campaign.

When it comes to VSea stacks, lately I've seen AI pull the player meta build and come at me with 5-6 mortars, 4-5 handgunners and a main frontline of syreens plus monster mix.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

haha i just bum rushed the awakening to get a nagash book in my khotep campaign. reinforced tier 4 capital. lost like 3/4ths of my stack but i got that book bitches woo

this is a funny campaign and the tomb kings are funny

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zyla posted:

haha i just bum rushed the awakening to get a nagash book in my khotep campaign. reinforced tier 4 capital. lost like 3/4ths of my stack but i got that book bitches woo

this is a funny campaign and the tomb kings are funny

They are excellent and bum rushing for sure.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

This is probably too broad of a question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways. In a ME game, how large is your empire around turn 100? I'm now definitely able to survive with most factions I play with to this point, and usually feel like I've got a decent home base situation. Usually around 5ish provinces completely buttoned up and an okay income, but this also tends to be the point where I have a hard time figuring out which way to push and I start running into nastier and nastier enemy stacks. I assume I should be aiming to try and completely consolidate an entire region so I don't need to have armies on every side? I feel like my main problem is I end up in these situations where I don't really know which way to push, and that if I leave anything open, even with walls, I'm gonna get sniped super aggressively by the AI.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

TaintedBalance posted:

This is probably too broad of a question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways. In a ME game, how large is your empire around turn 100? I'm now definitely able to survive with most factions I play with to this point, and usually feel like I've got a decent home base situation. Usually around 5ish provinces completely buttoned up and an okay income, but this also tends to be the point where I have a hard time figuring out which way to push and I start running into nastier and nastier enemy stacks. I assume I should be aiming to try and completely consolidate an entire region so I don't need to have armies on every side? I feel like my main problem is I end up in these situations where I don't really know which way to push, and that if I leave anything open, even with walls, I'm gonna get sniped super aggressively by the AI.

This is going to depend heavily on which faction you are and the difficulty you're on.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

TaintedBalance posted:

It's easily possible to control more or less the entire empire and have it completely walled at this point, in my experience. RNG may play a part though. I always have trouble if the VC do well.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TaintedBalance posted:

At some point (There's a hard timer, plus an 18 settlement trigger), the Warriors of Chaos faction will spawn, which marks the beginning of ME's end game. In addition to the main faction that starts NE of Kislev, a bunch of supporting armies will spawn around the map, Norsca and Beastmen will ramp up in aggressiveness, and every province starts getting chaos taint.

It sounds like your going to hit one of those triggers soon. I would set up a army to stay in reserve in your home provinces, while making sure your primary army has as many movement buffs as you can stack. And if you are at a loss as to what to do, look at your objectives and focus on those.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Not being able to capture Marienburg before turn 20 usually adds about thirty turns to the game in my experience and makes it a lot harder to deal with the VC before they get out of control.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I recently took advantage of a sale and finally got myself TWW1+DLCs. I was enjoying myself with the Old World campaign as Empire until the Chaos invasion started. Playing auto-resolve whackamole with infinitely respawning doomstacks is tedious, not fun. Are there any mods available that turn the event into something less absurd without getting rid of Chaos entirely? Everything I've found either effectively removes Chaos from the game or it makes it more difficult, for some unfathomable reason. Surely someone has had the idea of limiting the number of stacks that spawn or spacing them out more or something.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
There should be three waves. Go up and kill them and they shouldn't respawn anymore.

They're there to give you an endgame challenge since nothing else in tww1 really will.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The extremely built-up Dwarf armies turning on me as I was trying to get the achievement for every Empire technology after the post-invasion diplomacy fuckening certainly provided me with a challenge.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

E: also does Khazrak infintely respawn in ME? I’ve killed his faction twice and he keeps coming with buffer stacks. It’s lame. I’m Orion and this time more than half his units are minotaurs and centigors. This kind of difficulty isn’t fun for me, it’s just a test of whether or not I know to prepare for an OTT gimmick stack

I’m fairly certain the Beastmen are scripted to periodically (re)spawn and charge the Oak of Ages when you’re playing as Wood Elves, I seem to recall this happening when I upgraded the Oak in game 1 and the advisor specifically noting the inbound Beastmen as a thing. Might be tied to Oak upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

The extremely built-up Dwarf armies turning on me as I was trying to get the achievement for every Empire technology after the post-invasion diplomacy fuckening certainly provided me with a challenge.

Yeah fair, at various times the beardtide or wood elves were legitimate endgame existential threats.