Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Could I just not work for a nazi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You still need photographers around to document lovely things being done, might as well be good at it.

So bored kids in history class 100 years from now can see in crisp detail how slovenly our president is, rather than a garbage shot of a blurry fuselage and a couple specs that are helicopters.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'd love to see Pete Souza quality shots of the President's 'Executive Time' watching Fox and tweeting from bed.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

I'd love to see Pete Souza quality shots of the President's 'Executive Time' watching Fox and tweeting from bed.

Same, I’m sure there are photographers out there who are used to photographing tragedies and making art out of it that could do a great job. If it is a case of good photographers not being willing to do it I wonder if this administration has made it clear to applicants that they will cherry pick only shots that show the majesty of the Donald’s hair and poo poo other than actually documenting everyday life. Also, given that this guy lives in gaudy gold covered rooms I’m sure he has no ability to tell what a good photograph is. In fact I’d be surprised if he cares in any way about the arts, making him worse than Hitler.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Would a man with bad taste do this?!

http://time.com/5424453/donald-trump-painting-andy-thomas/

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hahaha I never knew this existed. Also here’s a gem - for context, Trump called the artist on the phone to tell him that he liked it.

quote:

As he often does, Trump then asked Thomas how he was doing as president and what his friends and neighbors think about him, as well as how he thinks the heated Senate race between Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill and pro-Trump Republican Josh Hawley will end.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Helen Highwater posted:

I don't know if you were being serious here, but this is actually true. The caption says "Marine One with President Donald J. Trump aboard approaches for a landing at Joint Base Andrews, Md. Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018, for President Trump’s Air Force One flight to Columbia, Mo. (Official White House Photo by Shealah Craighead)"

So yes, those tiny helicopters were actually the subject and the huge, blurry aircraft taking up 80% of the frame is just there for 'context'.

Was just joking, they were the only thing in focus and thought the photographer was simply that bad that infinite focus vs a giant white object in front of it were so close in focal distance. But hey, you learn something new every day. "Creative" framing aside, didn't read the caption, but holy poo poo that's still bad composition. Which goes hand in hand with your first quote about who they hire, so yeah, business as usual.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
New flickr posts for the WH are great! I've combined two of them for your viewing pleasure.

https://imgur.com/XyKOXAx

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Very cool to see stereoscopic stuff making a comeback!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

mAlfunkti0n posted:

New flickr posts for the WH are great! I've combined two of them for your viewing pleasure.

https://imgur.com/XyKOXAx

thanks i hate it

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

Very cool to see stereoscopic stuff making a comeback!

It's a pleasure to provide this service, but I couldn't have done it without the original photog showing us the world is not meant to be level.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I got followed by this dude on Instagram. 15,000 followers. Christ.

Over 1000 likes for slamming up the vignette slider on an unremarkable photo of some stacked chairs.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Over 1000 likes for slamming up the vignette slider on an unremarkable photo of some stacked chairs.
This looks like a poster you’d find in the basement bar of the uncle from Bobby’s World

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I wonder if Howie Mandel sometimes still busts out his Bobby voice.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

I wonder if Howie Mandel sometimes still busts out his Bobby voice.
I can sort of do the voice, and I use it once in a while. You might say it’s a Generic alternative.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Jesus christ. And I feel inadequate for badly processing photos in LR/C1.

I ran one of those audit tools on his account figuring it would show most of the 15k are bots.
99.6% “real” following.

Which could also mean following thousands, getting followed back, and unfollowing them - all to have a good ‘influencer’ ratio. In short, gently caress social media.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Hello Spaceman posted:

I ran one of those audit tools on his account figuring it would show most of the 15k are bots.
99.6% “real” following.

In short, gently caress social media.

:agreed:

At the moment I’m trying to post on Instagram every day so I’ll have to go out and shoot. But I know soon this arbitrary numbers bullshit will come for my ego.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Time for another round of, "Guess the Subject of the Official White House Photo!"

President Donald J. Trump Travels to California by The White House, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The theme is Skidmarks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Abstracts are popular now, right? I should try it, it's just lines and poo poo and I see lines everywhere!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Don't you guys see the number 10 sign, jeez.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pressing the shutter button by accident.jpg

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

Don't you guys see the number 10 sign, jeez.
It’s deep symbology, for the best hourly rate trump could be bothered to pay a photog

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

He likely thinks it’s the best pictures. Truly magnificent. He only hires the best photographers.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

That out-of-focus floating head must have some really interesting things to say.

FIRST STEP Roundtable by The White House, on Flickr

Also, check out the pics grandma took of her Christmas decorations!

White House Christmas 2018 by The White House, on Flickr

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Doggles posted:

That out-of-focus floating head must have some really interesting things to say.

FIRST STEP Roundtable by The White House, on Flickr
Any photo with vaguely leading lines towards him automatically gets a lock from President Sundowner :chaostrump:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

President Sundowner

:laugh: Good poo poo.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Doggles posted:

Also, check out the pics grandma took of her Christmas decorations!

White House Christmas 2018 by The White House, on Flickr

I like how the high-up perspective makes the door look really short.

Countdown until the official White House photographer shares a poorly focused picture of Trump holding mistletoe over his dick as part of the WH Christmas decorations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Short wait!

:nws::nws:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This one is kinda fun, flickr's doing a "post your best photo from 2018" thing. There's some good stuff in there, but there's a lot of really poo poo stuff too. It's curious to see what people select as their own best.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/yourbestshot2018/pool/

It also makes me super concerned about my ability to judge my own photos. Like, what if I'm as dumb as they are? :ohdear:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

This one is kinda fun, flickr's doing a "post your best photo from 2018" thing. There's some good stuff in there, but there's a lot of really poo poo stuff too. It's curious to see what people select as their own best.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/yourbestshot2018/pool/

It also makes me super concerned about my ability to judge my own photos. Like, what if I'm as dumb as they are? :ohdear:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The catte only makes this photo better.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
A guy popped up on one of the local (non-photo oriented) FB groups with terrible blog style posts that were basically ads for his photo business. When people pointed out that his photos were poo poo, his video were worse and his writing was basically a war crime, his response was to insist that his photos had to be amazing because he is a professional photographer with a degree in photography.

What sort of incredible art does a degree in photography teach you to produce?

Wonder no more!

As well as his impressive composition and exposure setting skills, he also takes the opportunity to school us in how to post-process other people's images (at least I'm assuming that Rihanna didn't sit for a shoot with him)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Dammit. It’s finds like this that make me second guess cutting back my social media use.

Also, new post in the best photographer thread; still not me. 👍

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

How to Patrick Nagel-ize Rihanna, by Napoleon Dynamite

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Yowza.

Guess the University of Phoenix does photography degrees.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That beach one is painful because there's a possibly good picture in that scene, they just failed to find it. And scrolling through their instagram they continued to fail to find it, dozens of times.

You'd think getting an arts degree would develop one's eye for composition.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

Yowza.

Guess the University of Phoenix does photography degrees.

lol this was exactly my thought

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

xzzy posted:

they continued to fail to find it, dozens of times.

Fuckin lol.
Short and to the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

When people pointed out that his photos were poo poo, his video were worse and his writing was basically a war crime, his response was to insist that his photos had to be amazing because he is a professional photographer with a degree in photography.

Still has more Instagram followers than I do and that's what really matters these days :sigh:

edit- oh god my retinas https://www.troypointerphotography.com/product/capones-island-sunset-view-3/

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 17, 2018