Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

fishmech posted:

hmm have you tried having people abandon vast amounts of land en masse to move to cities or farmlands located a good couple hundred to couple thousand miles away and waiting 50 years? that worked really good for american reforestation
australians don't seem to abandon land for some reason, they hold onto it long after it's useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

that doesn't necessarily work in arid climates fishmech. In certain circumstances saplings won't survive to adulthood without the extra shade, moisture, and humidity provided by a canopy, while severe deforestation across a region can actually reduce precipitation enough that new trees have trouble growing. When we are talking about organisms like coastal redwoods, they could have established themselves in a location thousands of years ago when the climate was radically different. Cut it down and the environment might no longer be suitable for it to replace itself. That can be true even without global warming.

avshalemon posted:

i now have a decent idea of the most common reforestation methods in australia and they're all hosed. they're dreamed up by white men and the only things white men can understand are machines, diesel and fields full of neat perfect rows and rows and rows of things all the way to the horizon

China seems to have got pretty good with using picks and shovels, but its probably a bit easier for them to marshal labor on a large scale than for Australians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK8JNXHcBMA

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

climate change makes all of this moot anyway

maybe we can plant a forest on some kind of big sled? just slide it north a kilometer a year, bing bong so simple.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
replacing rainforest, artificially or naturally, seems basically impossible to my mind. the soil they grow on is so poo poo i don't even understand how they ever established

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

replacing rainforest, artificially or naturally, seems basically impossible to my mind. the soil they grow on is so poo poo i don't even understand how they ever established

I remember I had a textbook which described a 500 year old Panamanian forest established after smallpox killed the local cultivators as a secondary forest. Even 500 years later it was still markedly different from neighboring primary forests and was still going through succession.

Of course since that book was published our understanding of succession has changed to be much less deterministic, its entirely possible that forest will never "recover" to what it was before and will instead become something different.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

that doesn't necessarily work in arid climates fishmech. In certain circumstances saplings won't survive to adulthood without the extra shade, moisture, and humidity provided by a canopy, while severe deforestation across a region can actually reduce precipitation enough that new trees have trouble growing. When we are talking about organisms like coastal redwoods, they could have established themselves in a location thousands of years ago when the climate was radically different. Cut it down and the environment might no longer be suitable for it to replace itself. That can be true even without global warming.

it's mostly sarcastic, but we should probably expel australians from most of the land they are on for a good 50 years anyway

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

it's mostly sarcastic, but we should probably expel australians from most of the land they are on for a good 50 years anyway

I'd rather you expelled your organs from your thoracic cavity and expired like a gutted and deflated fish

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

I'd rather you expelled your organs from your thoracic cavity and expired like a gutted and deflated fish

australia needs to be put on hold until they figure out how not to eat up the entire habitable zone with the worst clones of american suburbs possible

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the seeds are dispersed in the poo poo of the field

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Squalid posted:

We all will, someday.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

fishmech posted:

i'm working on a land regeneration startup that works by jubilee cycles

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1073165159982616577?s=21

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Squalid posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

my god, to think that dadchat, the originator of the fuckbarrel, has fallen to this extent

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
guess we better start making each other daisy crowns while singing kumbaya

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:decorum:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

gojm youve been unusually pessismistic lately and I worry that your new job is giving you sadbrains

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

gojm youve been unusually pessismistic lately and I worry that your new job is giving you sadbrains

rural living will do that

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

possibly, but as far as ecology goes these have pretty much always been my thoughts to one extent or another. we currently face challenges that we don't even have the proper tools to comprehend, let alone meaningfully solve and there is no political or social will to take the necessary steps to rectify this. the projects i'm personally working on are going very well for the most part

the paradigm shift posted:

rural living will do that

it's a weird mix of rural and exurban, but at least i'm not in a soulless housing track and there's decent thai and indian food

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

possibly, but as far as ecology goes these have pretty much always been my thoughts to one extent or another. we currently face challenges that we don't even have the proper tools to comprehend, let alone meaningfully solve and there is no political or social will to take the necessary steps to rectify this. the projects i'm personally working on are going very well for the most part

Oh Im not going to deny the fact were are failing spectacularly in the face of climate change, but I still feel like there are reasons enough to keep fighting and not lose all hope (for now).

I finally watched Your Name and you know what, it deserves all the praise it got.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
i got a foolproof solution to desertification

1. use a bunch of explosives or space lasers to cut a bunch of long canals from the ocean into the inland of continents; some of the ocean water will evaporate
2. build up the scattered sediment into mountain-sized mounds in order to make rain fall there so that more inland rivers form

let's just gently caress up the earth whole hog. no possible side effects to this way of thinking

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
unlike the devil pyramids of cairo these artificial mounds will serve a real and good true purpose for the benefit of all

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

Oh Im not going to deny the fact were are failing spectacularly in the face of climate change, but I still feel like there are reasons enough to keep fighting and not lose all hope (for now).

I finally watched Your Name and you know what, it deserves all the praise it got.

it was a good film, but i'm not sure why it in particular managed to attract the attention of the public consciousness

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
and of course we should keep trying to limit the extent of climate change, but a lot of habitat restoration right now is built on even more assumptions and back of envelope sketches then ever and a lot of it feels like whistling in the dark

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's a weird mix of rural and exurban, but at least i'm not in a soulless housing track and there's decent thai and indian food

Looking at a job in a tiny town South Dakota town of 15k, but I would probably drink myself to death working there

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Y'all my girlfriend's coworker is recently and suddenly unemployed and deep enough in debt that homelessness is a real threat. It's two weeks before Christmas in cold rear end Syracuse new York, theyve recently come out as trans and started transitioning and just lost their access to healthcare, poo poo just absolutely sucks. If any of you can afford to chip in to this it's appreciated, if not, just signal boost it. I'm trying to help out a cool lady who needs it, who would help me if I needed it. Thanks. https://www.gofundme.com/fm4g7-support-a-sister-in-need

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Not sure why we are supposed to care about this planet. I have been given assurances that Elon Musk will bring us Mars wholesale within this very decade.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

it's infuriating that this is the social safety net we have in this country

Randler posted:

Not sure why we are supposed to care about this planet. I have been given assurances that Elon Musk will bring us Mars wholesale within this very decade.

you have an entire decade to look forward to emperor musk either draining your blood to help keep his youth or using you as slave labor on the martian ganja plantations

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I cook with garlic, collodial silver and water from a certain spring in France. Gonna take the Thiels down with me.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hell yeah

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you have an entire decade to look forward to emperor musk either draining your blood to help keep his youth or using you as slave labor on the martian ganja plantations

I expect exmarx to have killed me before then anyway

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

trees

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

https://twitter.com/BAuldist/status/1073450836854882304

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
re watching spring breakers … good rear end movie

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Amazing, but predictable, that the media tried to say he was the bad guy in that exchange

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

mandatory lesbian posted:

Amazing, but predictable, that the media tried to say he was the bad guy in that exchange

He was the bravest among us, then he was probably among one of the most in pain among us as George Bush had a man tortured for a personal slight.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
10 years ago today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFH7C3vkK4

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm too tired to dig through the US news thread, but I assume either Trump did something hugely idiotic even by his standards or the world revolution has commenced?

Because them stocks are going the wrong way. :(

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Randler posted:

I'm too tired to dig through the US news thread, but I assume either Trump did something hugely idiotic even by his standards or the world revolution has commenced?

Because them stocks are going the wrong way. :(

Johnson and Johnson announced they put asbestos in baby powder so that’s one stock collapse today explained

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Johnson and Johnson announced they put asbestos in baby powder so that’s one stock collapse today explained

Global warming can't smother this godforsaken earth soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
seems weird to be mad about babies not catching on fire but whatever