Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Frog Act posted:

which reminds me, is melee viable in FO4? I've never bothered with a melee build in my many many runs of every other Fallout game so maybe that will make missing the DLC and the game missing a decent story less noticeable

The strongest build is probably vats-melee, so yes, but not necessarily how you were expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
lol. just stole like 400 rockets and dinos from this fool

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

The strongest build is probably vats-melee, so yes, but not necessarily how you were expecting.

Entropic posted:

Yes. Just put your special points into STR and AGI and get the Blitz and Rooted perks and VATS-teleport-punch everyone to death.

lol okay, I guess I'll give it a try. I gotta say, with a halfway okay computer, Fallout 4 does look pretty good despite its lovely textures and trees and stuff. with the randomized start mod I started in some place with a bunch of Mr Gutsy's and some Mr. Handy's running a restaurant or something, gave me a chuckle, so I'll keep going and eventually power through the main quest

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Throughout my thousands of hours of playing fallout games i rarely even do main quests, let alone finish them lol.

Also, Sim Settlements for FO4 is insanely cool and good.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Frog Act posted:

lol okay, I guess I'll give it a try. I gotta say, with a halfway okay computer, Fallout 4 does look pretty good despite its lovely textures and trees and stuff. with the randomized start mod I started in some place with a bunch of Mr Gutsy's and some Mr. Handy's running a restaurant or something, gave me a chuckle, so I'll keep going and eventually power through the main quest

The greenery mods really do make it feel like a completely different game.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i think i made a good choice getting to 50 speech super early :)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A Fallout 4 where you played as a Nick Valentine type who could upgrade yourself in various ways to appear more or less human and having the different factions react appropriately would have been far too narratively and mechanically interesting for Bethesda.

Kinda mean to say cool stuff like this that will never happen :(

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lol, loving Fallout 4, as soon as I get my mods up and working it hard crashes my literally brand new computer I just pulled out of the box today

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A Fallout 4 where you played as a Nick Valentine type who could upgrade yourself in various ways to appear more or less human and having the different factions react appropriately would have been far too narratively and mechanically interesting for Bethesda.

You're describing Deus Ex

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

heard u like girls posted:

Gotta agree with Hbomberman after watching his vid. I mean i always loved fallout 3 but i just installed Tales of Two Wastelands for a fresh run. I did not know that giving Butch the BB gun was even an option, so i just did that and lol.

He saves his mom from the radroaches AND went on to fight with officer Kendral that was beating me up. Love it. Also i always laugh my rear end off at how the one teacher guy talks about the GOAT.

Which vid was this btw? Im bored at work and could use a good watch

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ZeusCannon posted:

Which vid was this btw? Im bored at work and could use a good watch
The "Fallout 3 is garbage and here's why" one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJ1gyIzg78

heard u like girls posted:

Also, Sim Settlements for FO4 is insanely cool and good.
I installed it (specifically the version that lets you set up a city planner's desk, give the settlers some basic pointers, wander off in search of adventure and come back to a functioning settlement) a while back, it is pretty great. One of the big things I always hated about the settlement system was the fact your settlers couldn't be bothered to do a drat thing without your help, and not having to deal with that poo poo is a big improvement.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I installed basically every popular mod that seemed decently executed I could without the DLC, including a bunch of settlement stuff and some weapon packs/armor textures/general enhancements (like no junk weight) and I’m hoping this will be a better experience than it was around launch on a much shittier computer. I just finished my last NV yesterday and for all it’s tremendous narrative faults FO4 feels considerably nicer to play

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
People always say the gunplay was so much better in FO4, but.... eh. I think I'm in the very distinct minority on this one, but the controls always felt so floaty in FO4 for me. I dunno, maybe the mouse settings can be sufficiently fine-tuned and I just never found the right balance. But yeah, even on the topic of gunplay, I'd really rather take New Vegas.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I kinda want to get the DLC so I can try out some more mods (and I hear Far Harbor is supposed to be pretty good), but the season pass still costs way too much (the GOTY edition is cheaper even without any discounts so I guess I could get that even though I own the base game) and I don't particularly fancy giving Bethesda any more money at this point.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Backhand posted:

People always say the gunplay was so much better in FO4, but.... eh. I think I'm in the very distinct minority on this one, but the controls always felt so floaty in FO4 for me. I dunno, maybe the mouse settings can be sufficiently fine-tuned and I just never found the right balance. But yeah, even on the topic of gunplay, I'd really rather take New Vegas.

No you’re right. It has some kind of slight acceleration going on that makes it floaty. Doesn’t seem like there’s a way to get rid of it so I assume it’s hard coded and to do with how it’s intended to be played on a console with controller.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I just remembered one of my gripes from the launch of fallout 4, and there's probably a mod to fix this that I never found, but they had dual wielding in Skyrim, why wasn't that in fallout 4 (and 76 now for that matter)? Tie it to a park or power armor, but that would be interesting.

Maybe it would have been overpowered but since they put the minigun and power armor five minutes into the first quest I don't think they would be too concerned about that.

E: Thinking about a little bit longer, reload animations would definitely be a problem, and a bunch of other stuff besides

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 14, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You should at least be able to dual wield super sledges in power armor :black101:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I expected something marked as a main quest to be a bit more interesting (Rose). What could have been a memorable quirky sidequest if it was kept short, is instead an endless fetch quest.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Regarde Aduck posted:

No you’re right. It has some kind of slight acceleration going on that makes it floaty. Doesn’t seem like there’s a way to get rid of it so I assume it’s hard coded and to do with how it’s intended to be played on a console with controller.

Acceleration and auto aim and you can disable both in fallout and Skyrim

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Doc M posted:

The "Fallout 3 is garbage and here's why" one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJ1gyIzg78

I installed it (specifically the version that lets you set up a city planner's desk, give the settlers some basic pointers, wander off in search of adventure and come back to a functioning settlement) a while back, it is pretty great. One of the big things I always hated about the settlement system was the fact your settlers couldn't be bothered to do a drat thing without your help, and not having to deal with that poo poo is a big improvement.

The first few minutes of this video are really dumb and almost made me close the tab but the rest is a really well-articulated critique and nails pretty much every way in which Bethesda Fallouts (yes, not only 3) miss what was great about Fallout.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

what was great about Fallout.

Getting shot in the back by a companion you made the newbie mistake of giving an automatic weapon to

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fallout 4 sacrificed a lot in favor of the combat, but for most of my last playthrough I just used the X1 armor and general chao's revenge. There's really nothing worth buying except fuel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
supposed culprit behind continuing sever instability (Hootington says it's been better; not for me, though not worse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udPbP3UeIRQ

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am level 142. I don't know how to stop playing this game, I tried everything.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rinkles posted:

supposed culprit behind continuing sever instability (Hootington says it's been better; not for me, though not worse)

FUCKIN LOL at the Caps buying site advert right out the gate

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Entropic posted:

You should at least be able to dual wield super sledges in power armor :black101:

You should be able to have loving jet pack fueled super melee with any weapon. Its a goddamn 50s tank. I should be using the flight ability to power up my non gun attacks into like robot MMA poo poo. Suplexing Super Mutants off Skyscrapers. Rocket loving Punching people across the map. Pile driving a bandit with a pile-driver gauntlet through the floor. Wish-boning some waster by taking my arms and pulling them in half.

Come the gently caress on, Bethesda. Its a goddamn robot suit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tei posted:

spend less on candles

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Frog Act posted:

If you want to enjoy Fallout 4 the most important advice anyone can give you is to ignore the main quest.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Tei posted:

Have you tried playing a good game instead?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rinkles posted:

Another dupe glitch ffs.

Yesterday I played for 4 hours after the patch. No disconnects, hard crashes, and only FPS drops were in whitesprings and during a scorchbeast queen fight. This is an improvement for me at least.

I still run into the teaming up bug where I can not send or receive invites half the time. Also an improvement from the could never send or receive invites that plagued me for a week and a half.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Double post

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

WebDO posted:

Have you tried playing a good game instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnqhHncON74

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Another dupe glitch ffs.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tei posted:

Don't worry Bethesda will make you quit soon enough

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the real dupes were the friends we made along the way

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fallout 4 sacrificed a lot in favor of the combat, but for most of my last playthrough I just used the X1 armor and general chao's revenge. There's really nothing worth buying except fuel.

They sacrificed a lot in combat too

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I don’t know how people even come to figure this stuff out. Who is building 300 combat knives? Why does this even work?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Siljmonster posted:

Don't worry Bethesda will make you quit soon enough

How long do you think they will support it? Will they release a new single player Fallout that is just an asset re-flip of Fallout 76?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The next Fallout game is definitely going to be another mobile game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
From what I can tell, it's not combat knives, specifically. You just need to have so much stuff in your inventory that you get disconnected. The glitch is based on the idea that your character status gets rolled back a few minutes in a disconnect which includes inventory. So basically it goes:

1-make your connection unstable so you'll eventually disconnect (this is the building 300 combat knives part)

2-get stuff you want to dupe out of your inventory and control, like drop them on the ground so a friend can pick them up for you

3-get disconnected. When you join back up with you friend, youll be restored to slightly before you got kicked off, aka, before you dropped all your stuff on the ground for your friend, so it will all be back in your inventory.....

BUT, your friend will still have the originals your dropped off for them, so now you both have the items. Duped.