Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yaws posted:

Also, Bill Burr sort of exemplifies comedians that are good performers without any unique insight or even punchlines. His standup is essentially the type of tired bullshit you hear from your dumb uncle at Thanksgiving, but he speaks with conviction and he knows how to deliver a joke.

He's a moron.

Now that I think about it, the best routine i heard from him was when part of his audience started heckling another part of it, and he played along. It was, as you say, just conviction and delivery that made it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The only worthwhile thing Bill Burr has done stand-up wise is the time he picked a fight with what seemed to be the entire city of Philadelphia during a set, but mainly because the whole thing just boiled down to an Alien vs Predator of assholes scenario.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

The only worthwhile thing Bill Burr has done stand-up wise is the time he picked a fight with what seemed to be the entire city of Philadelphia during a set, but mainly because the whole thing just boiled down to an Alien vs Predator of assholes scenario.

Oh yeah. He yelled at them for having a statue of Rocky Balboa but not one of Joe Louis. That was pretty cool.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

DC Murderverse posted:

(why I get Ben Shapiro-adjacent videos, I have no idea, I watch nothing on YouTube but music videos, trailers, stuff about speed running and the occasional ContraPoints video.

:( Sometimes I get a lot of red pilled MAGA men MRA poo poo whenever I dare to watch a videogame video. Also, I think it works like this: google can "see" what you are browsing outside of Youtube and will immediately recommend anything their bot thinks is related to what you were looking for. Where you looking at news of nazis being awful people? Congrats, get actual nazi youtube recommendations. Where you visiting LBGTQ sites? Ho-ho-ho here you have some moron screaming transphobic bullshit.

Their poo poo is broken and won't be fixed until they get rid of those toxic people.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/moryan/status/1073390001336082432

NYT posted:

In March 2017, Eliza Dushku, an actress known for her work on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” signed on to play a major role in three episodes of the CBS prime-time drama “Bull,” and there were plans to make her a full-time cast member.

Her time on the set began promisingly. The show’s star, Michael Weatherly — a mainstay of CBS’s prime-time lineup for 15 years — seemed friendly. And a producer and writer on “Bull,” Glenn Gordon Caron, told Ms. Dushku she would be more than a love interest.

Then came a series of comments that made Ms. Dushku uncomfortable. In front of the cast and crew, Mr. Weatherly remarked on her appearance, and made a rape joke and a comment about a threesome. Shortly after Ms. Dushku confronted the star about his behavior, she was written off the show. She believed her time on “Bull” came to a sudden end as a result of retaliation.

After she went through mediation with CBS, the company agreed to a confidential settlement that would pay her $9.5 million, roughly the equivalent of what Ms. Dushku would have earned if she had stayed on as a cast member for four seasons.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

I thought it was cool that he shamed them for booing Dom Irrera.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Bill Burr is funny as hell but he's the definition of how stand-up comedy has been and always will be just a vacuous black hole of reactionary ignorance. He at least has the humility to acknowledge every chance he gets that he really is just some boob who doesn't read anything and when he does read it's just conspiracy theory junk that turns him on.

The only good part of his podcast is just when he reads emails and you get an idea of just how loving atrocious his reading comprehension and interpretive skills are.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

loving hell. In the minds of these awful loving people, it's worth more to boot her off the show and pay her for four seasons of work she doesn't have to do than say 'hey, cool it with the rape jokes' to the male lead.

Absolutely amazing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowman_McK posted:

loving hell. In the minds of these awful loving people, it's worth more to boot her off the show and pay her for four seasons of work she doesn't have to do than say 'hey, cool it with the rape jokes' to the male lead.

Absolutely amazing.

I think someone did something more to her, the show was only in its second season when this went down.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I think someone did something more to her, the show was only in its second season when this went down.

gently caress's sake. She also got abused when she was working on True Lies as a kid.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It'd be weird if the report, having revealed pretty specific details about the sexual harassment, omitted something much bigger.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Bill Burr strikes me as more of a provocateur than a reactionary, although I won't defend a lot of his stuff. He's the kind of guy that prefers Bernie to Hillary because Hillary's "too liberal."

His rant about Steve Jobs is great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew6fv9UUlQ8

As is his close reading of One Punch Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4WQal7L2Cw

porfiria fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 14, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is Bill Burr the F is for Family guy or is that Jim Jeffries? I get them mixed up a lot, but whichever dude does that show is alright by me, because that show makes it clear that whichever dude it is, is more of a "generally on our side but rough around the edges" type than a full-on enemy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is Bill Burr the F is for Family guy or is that Jim Jeffries? I get them mixed up a lot, but whichever dude does that show is alright by me, because that show makes it clear that whichever dude it is, is more of a "generally on our side but rough around the edges" type than a full-on enemy.

Bill Burr is the F is for Family dude.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I mean, as far as this thread goes, he's def in honorary enemy territory. He's, like, been on Conan or whatever talkin' all this "due process" poo poo, and what made it grosser was that he even said something to the effect of, "I'll give you that 85% of claims are legitimate" but, of course, it's just a chauvinistic fig leaf for not actually doing poo poo to address the problem.

That's the thing about Burr - he's the perfect example of how, for all the misanthropy and pessimism that pervades the world of stand-up comedy, even its most reactionary elements pretty much boil down to a "this is the best of all possible worlds" theory. By any significant measure he's just a liberal who happens to be a cranky old guy, but when push comes to shove he's not dying on a hill to fight anything systemic and will just as soon retreat into denialism.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just feel like when you get to that kind of dude, it's a situation where we should probably be using whatever ways to reach out we can, rather than going "gently caress THIS GUY, HE'S CANCELLED FOREVER." Like, F is for Family makes it pretty obvious that Burr isn't that entrenched in his views and even seems to pretty much realize he's kind of a poo poo, which is where I was coming from; he's the kind of guy who seems like he'd respond to Twitter getting on his rear end with "man, I'm sorry, I hosed up" instead of doubling down.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what did Neil Tyson get for his misconduct allegations?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

So what did Neil Tyson get for his misconduct allegations?

The new season of Cosmos might not be happening, is the main thing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The new season of Cosmos might not be happening, is the main thing.

If this is true then Bill Nye has the shittiest agent in Hollywood.

Alternately, just get Seth McFarland to narrate it himself, but as Tyson. Really get everyone’s assholes nice and clenched.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Weatherly's "It's just jokes bro!" defence is so loving insipid but not surprising for someone who clearly has never been called out on their bullshit.

He was an rear end in a top hat on DARK ANGEL too, where he was dating Jessica Alba and was intensely jealous of Jensen Ackles to the point that he managed to sweet talk her into convincing the writers to not use Ackles as a love interest - which was the plan - and would supposedly go through scripts to make sure he had more lines.

Ackles had never commented on it, but other writers and actors from the show did. Supposedly, Alba apologised to him years later because of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, did anything ever come up from Maynard James Keenan? It seems like one story came out which was kinda believed and then everyone forgot about it in a month or two.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, did anything ever come up from Maynard James Keenan? It seems like one story came out which was kinda believed and then everyone forgot about it in a month or two.

He issued a direct denial and the accuser reached some sort of exclusivity agreement with Rolling Stone, who are presumably still investigating.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Arkhams Razor posted:

He issued a direct denial and the accuser reached some sort of exclusivity agreement with Rolling Stone, who are presumably still investigating.

Hopefully Rolling Stone learned something from the UVa thing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arkhams Razor posted:

There’s no way their report will be allowed to run until after their 2019 album releases.

Bill Burr is a beloved and respected comedian but you can also tell from his podcast that his wife and daughter are the most important things in the world and that his true niche as an entertainer is being a mirror for frustrated white men to vent with and at. His black wife is frequently featured on his podcast and has no problem putting him in his place.

Also I watched roughly 100 hours of Joe Rohan on YouTube and only ever got one Ben Shapiro suggestion and told YouTube to gently caress off with that poo poo and and have never gotten any other alt-right poo poo ever, so maybe if you care so much then take the 8 seconds necessary to groom your personalized feed.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Also I watched roughly 100 hours of Joe Rohan on YouTube

ah

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

What? He has literally over 1,000 and maybe less than 30 of them are even tangentially alt-right. I watched all his MMA fighter interviews because they are the best (only?) real in-depth interviews in the sport and he has like hundreds of hours of bullshitting with other comedians.

The idea that Joe Rogan is this constant live stream of alt-right propaganda is so ridiculously overblown on SA. He’s a 50 year old comedian and meathead-jock who has in the past 3 years had some extremely dumb and conservative guests on his show. He himself isn’t alt-right and it’s just ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

What? He has literally over 1,000 and maybe less than 30 of them are even tangentially alt-right. I watched all his MMA fighter interviews because they are the best (only?) real in-depth interviews in the sport and he has like hundreds of hours of bullshitting with other comedians.

The idea that Joe Rogan is this constant live stream of alt-right propaganda is so ridiculously overblown on SA. He’s a 50 year old comedian and meathead-jock who has in the past 3 years had some extremely dumb and conservative guests on his show. He himself isn’t alt-right and it’s just ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

oh?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

he's not a terrible person, he's a terrible person promoter :rolleye:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Krankenstyle posted:

he's not a terrible person, he's a terrible person promoter :rolleye:

He's just a big ole dum dum, he doesn't know any better, cmonnnn

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Joe Rogan has had Milo Yiannopoulus on as a repeat guest.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bill Burr is fine.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Anyone who has Alex Jones on for a friendly chat ain’t cool.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Corrosion posted:

Anyone who has Alex Jones on for a friendly chat ain’t cool.

No argument exactly but what’s your opinion on Linklater (I typed soderbergh at first like an IDIOT)

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 14, 2018

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I can’t really go to bat for Linklayer as a person, and he’s apolitical regarding casting Jones. Saying “he’s on the attack!” or on defense isn’t really a venerable way to describe what Alex Jones does. Casting him then indulging his platform would have made for more of a similarity here, despite that. I didn’t know who Jones was as of A Scanner Darkly, but it’s then a film versus this dumb macho seduction that Rogan had going on.

And you know why I even saw Rogan’s show with Jones? Recommended vidoes on my YouTube Home page. As soon as they got chummy which was almost immediately I shut it off. My friend likes UFC, which is the only reason I know of Rogan.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Best moment of Alex Jones in cinema is in the movie Prisoners in which Paul Dano plays a mentally challenged man accused of kidnapping two girls and he’s named Alex Jones. There’s one scene of Jake Gyllenhaal announcing that Alex Jones has the intellect of a child that must have been on purpose.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Bill Burr is funny as hell but he's the definition of how stand-up comedy has been and always will be just a vacuous black hole of reactionary ignorance. He at least has the humility to acknowledge every chance he gets that he really is just some boob who doesn't read anything and when he does read it's just conspiracy theory junk that turns him on.

The only good part of his podcast is just when he reads emails and you get an idea of just how loving atrocious his reading comprehension and interpretive skills are.
Whats your opinon on Stewart Lee?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

No argument exactly but what’s your opinion on Linklater (I typed soderbergh at first like an IDIOT)

It’s worth mentioning that Linklater and Jones are both from Austin, the weird-rear end liberal oasis in the middle of Texas that birthed a lot of the stranger aspects of culture. Jones was a local celebrity in Austin but not much known outside of it when he appeared in Linklater’s films, and also didn’t trend towards the right at all until he started getting bigger on a national scale. Linklater only featured Jones in his movies as a local Austin showcase, but wound up enabling something horrible as a result.

Bust Rodd posted:

Also I watched roughly 100 hours of Joe Rohan on YouTube

Boy that explains a lot.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Yeah telling people to curate their feed is stupid. I just looked at someone’s channel who subscribed to my dumb hobbyist YouTube channel, and now YouTube thinks I want to see a video explaining Bowsette memes as well as “Feminist Hates Man Who Saved Her Life.”

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Gorn Myson posted:

Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Gorn Myson posted:

It's obvious his black wife and his gay wife mean a world to him.