Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Keith Atherton posted:

Leave it as is please

Same. Everyone else is scrolling wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Holy poo poo pokeyman at the Black & White callback.

Yes please for Easter egg gestures. I am down.

Like, weird poo poo that takes you to specific megathreads or something.

Example - if you drew a capital D from bottom-left to top then around, it would take you to the GIP Dog thread.

C would obviously be the catte thread in yospos, because :cmon:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 13, 2018

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

b_d posted:

Last I checked when you long press the title of a video it pops up “open in awful”, “open in safari” (or maybe open in youtube, same result) and “cancel”, but an instant later another action sheet pops up over the first one. it’s cool.

I’ve gotten decent at pressing it just long enough for the first one to come up but if you get both you can just dismiss the top one

Oh weird. I was seeing it where the default long-press was blocking the Awful one, but the way you describe it also seems entirely plausible. Anyway, your newly-honed skill is probably for nought when the next version comes out :)

Data Graham posted:

I guess what I'm thinking is, is there really a use case where a delay is not helpful? Do you ever find yourself power-scrolling down a page, reaching the bottom, and wanting to immediately pull the next page as part of the same gesture (or rapid sequence of autopilot gestures), as opposed to taking half a second to look at the last post in the page or let the scroll movement settle before wanting to intentionally pull?

Any mechanism that breaks up that gesture/scroll sequence, or disables pulling in the situation where that's what you're doing, would solve the problem IMO. Any way to differentiate that you're in the process of actively scrolling, and not allow pulling to work during that time. A delay would do that, but something else might too.

Or implement the Chrome-like behavior, either way.

I know this is not that easy to nail down "correctness", and thank you for making the game attempt.

The part I hate about delays is waiting for the timer to run out so I can do the thing my brain/finger decided it wanted to do forever ago. I realize that we’re talking hundreds of milliseconds here and that it doesn’t make much sense. But, for example, when I want to move an app on my home screen I find it absolutely infuriating having to sit there with my big dumb finger resting on the stupid icon.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

C would obviously be the catte thread in yospos, because :cmon:

Nah you’d have to draw a passable single-line sketch of a cat's face. But the particle effects showing the trail of your finger would help a bit.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Test post to see if awful app is destroying my bbcode or what is going on exactly

[url=”https://smile.amazon.com/Viper-Pilot-Memoir-Air-Combat-ebook/dp/B007HBTAP6%94]Viper Pilot[/url]

Edit: I’m not sure if it’s awful app or the forums. I didn’t have this issue in Chrome on a pixelbook when I tested. Screenshots follow:

[url=”https://smile.amazon.com/Viper-Pilot-Memoir-Air-Combat-ebook/dp/B007HBTAP6%94]Viper Pilot[/url]

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/LKyzi8k

So, some more info (typing on the pixelbook now) - I was trying to share that URL in a thread via words rather than just the link itself, so I used the awful key shortcuts for [ ] and /, and typed or pasted for the rest. After saving, you can see between the first and second screenshot that the URL gets completely bungled up. It works when on a pixelbook.

Ok I think I figured this out - it's stupid smart quotes coming from iOS I think. Look at " vs the quote that Awful/iOS generated: ”

Is that an iOS limitation? Is there a workaround for this?

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 14, 2018

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

if you hold down on the quote key so it pops up all the variations, the straight quote is the first one there. so just hold it down and let go. i think there’s also some option to turn off smart quotes in settings somewhere.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Settings->General->Keyboard->Smart Punctuation

vv (ty for the correction)

Nude fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 14, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

That did it, thanks guys! (Technically it's under "Keyboard" under General but same thing)

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

shortspecialbus posted:

That did it, thanks guys! (Technically it's under "Keyboard" under General but same thing)

Oh nice, this has been bumping me for a long time and didn't realize there was an easy fix!

This and adding a ton of custom "autocorrects" for all my work and fun related terms that it constantly tries to misspell has made iOS a bit more manageable.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t follow the thread so forgive me if these were already posted:

1- after hitting preview the post is displayed as a preview but the preview button stays, never changing to “post”. I have to back out of the post completely then hit the pen/post button from the thread view which takes me back to preview, but this time with the post button.

2- lately the bottom quarter or so of the screen goes gray and I’m not sure what’s triggering it. If I tap in the gray then the whole screen goes gray.

I’m on an 8+ with the latest version of the test app. I can add details if needed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Slothful Bong posted:

Oh nice, this has been bumping me for a long time and didn't realize there was an easy fix!

This and adding a ton of custom "autocorrects" for all my work and fun related terms that it constantly tries to misspell has made iOS a bit more manageable.

Yeah I haven't used an ios device much since the iPhone 3g since my iPad 3 was hot garbage and my original iPad pro was used less than my galaxy tab s3. Now my wife has that and I have a new iPad pro so I'm using it a ton more. It's interesting to learn all the stuff that's changed (or that I forgot about) since the early days.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

A thought on the pull scroll thing: instead of changing the functionality, how about tweaking the displayed info to prevent people accidentally advancing? Something to make it a bit more apparent that you’re at the bottom of the page. I could see a color gradient or shading the last post of a page differently being viable.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doing the “shake” gesture on the post edit page causes both the extra settings and the (I still can’t believe it’s there in iOS but it is) undo text edit event to fire.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
It comes up whenever I shake my phone with the awful app open. I didn't realize how often that would apply lol.

testing spoilers

Nope, can't unspoil yet. I..really want to figure out the spoilers bug...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GenericGirlName posted:

It comes up whenever I shake my phone with the awful app open. I didn't realize how often that would apply lol.

testing spoilers

I will almost guarantee it's a layer issue. What happens if you set spoilers to some crazy z-index like 9999?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

spoilers work fine for me. however, clicking on quotes seems to fail most of the time. sometimes it will briefly show the post before going black. I think it’s when the quote is on a different page?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Nobody asked but I made this to replace the 'End of the Thread' text.

Ideally it would play just once rather than loop, maybe with a delay of a second at the start. Hopefully people think it's a good idea!

Here's a link in case you want to try putting it in a beta. I can finesse it a bit more later if it's a go.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spanky the dolphin posted:

Ideally it would play just once rather than loop, maybe with a delay of a second at the start. Hopefully people think it's a good idea!

Here's a link in case you want to try putting it in a beta. I can finesse it a bit more later if it's a go.

I have a feeling that would not get through the Apple filter.

It’s loving awesome though lol

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Pokeyman, if you decide to put that in and apple rejects it could you post the rejection letter?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

It should start out as just being the first frame, and then animate when you pull to refresh/next , with each frame corresponding to how close you are to completing the gesture, firing the gun to confirm.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

This feels like it should be a "you have made bad things happen to your account" image.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Does anyone else still get emotes showing up twice in their phone keyboard? I’m on the iPhone 7 right now. :madmax::madmax:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

dont be mean to me posted:

This feels like it should be a "you have made bad things happen to your account" image.

Add an option to one-click autoban yourself then use this on completion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MarcusSA posted:

I have a feeling that would not get through the Apple filter.

It’s loving awesome though lol

It would probably also raise a few eyebrows in E/N

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

It should slowly fill in as you finish creating a new account to show the poor life decision you've made.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I get stuck on the preview screen loading a lot, but pressing Post goes through instantly, and in the browser the preview display comes up immediately, so idk. Latest beta and iOS.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Billzasilver posted:

Does anyone else still get emotes showing up twice in their phone keyboard? I’m on the iPhone 7 right now. :madmax::madmax:

yeah

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Billzasilver posted:

works on my machine (6s, iOS 12.1.2, Awful 3.46)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Fedule posted:

works on my machine (6s, iOS 12.1.2, Awful 3.46)
scroll down a bit

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I suddenly cannot tap on usernames to get the This User's Posts dialog anymore. 7+, App Store current version of Awful

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

jesus WEP posted:

scroll down a bit

okay fine maybe it doesn't work fine on my machine.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Hello gang, when I press the scroll to end button it can quite often not work and push back to the top of the page

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fedule posted:

It should start out as just being the first frame, and then animate when you pull to refresh/next , with each frame corresponding to how close you are to completing the gesture, firing the gun to confirm.

This is brilliant and I wish it could happen!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think it's a little overboard, personally. That and I just don't think App Review would see the humor.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, yeah. We use it as a "that's it, I'm done" expression, not an actual admission of suicidal thoughts. But without context it does look bad.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah it's probably too much. I was thinking of it as 'the thread is now dead', seeing as we see :v: upon entering. I had another idea where the :v: morphs into the refresh symbol upon pull, maybe I could try that some time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

shortspecialbus posted:

Test post to see if awful app is destroying my bbcode or what is going on exactly

Edit: I’m not sure if it’s awful app or the forums. I didn’t have this issue in Chrome on a pixelbook when I tested. Screenshots follow:

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/LKyzi8k

So, some more info (typing on the pixelbook now) - I was trying to share that URL in a thread via words rather than just the link itself, so I used the awful key shortcuts for [ ] and /, and typed or pasted for the rest. After saving, you can see between the first and second screenshot that the URL gets completely bungled up. It works when on a pixelbook.

Ok I think I figured this out - it's stupid smart quotes coming from iOS I think. Look at " vs the quote that Awful/iOS generated: ”

Is that an iOS limitation? Is there a workaround for this?

As you figured out, it's a smart quotes thing. There's a few things working against us here, but I'll definitely make a note and hopefully someday we can make it work right.

Snowy posted:

I don’t follow the thread so forgive me if these were already posted:

1- after hitting preview the post is displayed as a preview but the preview button stays, never changing to “post”. I have to back out of the post completely then hit the pen/post button from the thread view which takes me back to preview, but this time with the post button.

2- lately the bottom quarter or so of the screen goes gray and I’m not sure what’s triggering it. If I tap in the gray then the whole screen goes gray.

I’m on an 8+ with the latest version of the test app. I can add details if needed.

1 is a thing I haven't figured out how to reliably reproduce yet but I've seen it and a bunch of other people are affected too. I'll +1 it on the list.

For 2 could you tell me more about it? I'm aware of a couple issues with weird gray chunks of the screen but I'm not sure what's going on in each case. It's ok if you don't have much to add, I'll take anything :)

Warbird posted:

A thought on the pull scroll thing: instead of changing the functionality, how about tweaking the displayed info to prevent people accidentally advancing? Something to make it a bit more apparent that you’re at the bottom of the page. I could see a color gradient or shading the last post of a page differently being viable.

It's a good thought! Definitely worth pondering.

Drastic Actions posted:

Doing the “shake” gesture on the post edit page causes both the extra settings and the (I still can’t believe it’s there in iOS but it is) undo text edit event to fire.

Ah, yep. I should fix that :)

GenericGirlName posted:

testing spoilers

Same.

ratbert90 posted:

I will almost guarantee it's a layer issue. What happens if you set spoilers to some crazy z-index like 9999?

Never would've thought of that, it's worth a shot!

b_d posted:

spoilers work fine for me. however, clicking on quotes seems to fail most of the time. sometimes it will briefly show the post before going black. I think it’s when the quote is on a different page?

Is it consistent? Like if you tap the same quote, it'll fail each time? If so and you're willing to share a link to a post with a quote that fails like this, I'd love to have it.

It looks amazing, but yeah I'm not sure I'm comfortable adding it. And I like the "dead thread" thought you mention from

Yeah it's probably too much. I was thinking of it as 'the thread is now dead', seeing as we see :v: upon entering. I had another idea where the :v: morphs into the refresh symbol upon pull, maybe I could try that some time.

Totally down to try that idea!

Billzasilver posted:

I'm sure people do, because I've done nothing to fix it :D I'll +1 it on the list.

Subjunctive posted:

I get stuck on the preview screen loading a lot, but pressing Post goes through instantly, and in the browser the preview display comes up immediately, so idk. Latest beta and iOS.

Oh weird. I can look into it.

jivjov posted:

I suddenly cannot tap on usernames to get the This User's Posts dialog anymore. 7+, App Store current version of Awful

:sigh: sorry. Still clueless on this but someday!

Looke posted:

Hello gang, when I press the scroll to end button it can quite often not work and push back to the top of the page

I'll add it to the list!

Out of curiosity, how often is quite often?

serebralassazin posted:

Pokeyman, if you decide to put that in and apple rejects it could you post the rejection letter?

I'm still mad at myself for not saving the rejection message that goatse'd me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spoilers are still inconsistent for me. They show sometimes but not others.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Spoilers are still inconsistent for me. They show sometimes but not others.

:same:

Also, when I reach then end, there’s no... I guess elasticity is the word I’m looking for. If I hit the bottom when I “flick scroll” and there’s another page, it insta jumps to the next page. This seems like it’s changed from how I remember it behaving before. I would think a deliberate pull up and hold (however miniscule a time it would be) would work better than hit bottom and immediately load next page.

gently caress. Now I can’t reproduce it. Carry on.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

pokeyman posted:

I'll add it to the list!

Out of curiosity, how often is quite often?

probably 90% of the time I use it. I'm on an iPhone X running 12.1.2

below is a vid i captured of it in action. when it starts to get janky is when i press the 'Scroll to End'

Looke fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

pokeyman posted:

Is it consistent? Like if you tap the same quote, it'll fail each time? If so and you're willing to share a link to a post with a quote that fails like this, I'd love to have it.

Seems to be, yeah. Here’s one that fails for me: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774698&perpage=40&pagenumber=468#post490928898
That post’s quote and several others on that page go blank after clicking them. Actually, opening the app with that on my clipboard and attempting to go to it did the same thing..