Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

There's a certain aesthetic malaise that sweeps over me every time I see Knights until I see someone who actually gives a poo poo and I'm immediately possessed by the desire to buy and paint one.

I don't give a poo poo about how they play but the idea of knight houses and their pilots is so cool.

Join us. Seriously, the most fun I've had planning & painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Corrode posted:

On this subject, Post Your Models!

Been surprisingly productive this year. At least in comparison with last year going by my tracking sheet.

February:

Death Korps of Krieg Grenadiers

April:

Blood Raven Dreadnought (Borrowed Björn)

August:

Blood Raven Primaris Lieutenant #1 - Mr Knight.

Blood Raven Commander Temp Rary

Blood Raven Primaris Lieutentant #2 - Mr Pale.

September:

Blood Raven Scions (Refurbished)

Orktober:

Farseer Asheriel

November:

Wraithguard

December:

Aximillion A good boy.

Skipping out Neave Blacktalon, a whole bunch of Scythe bases and a Tiger tank for a Kelly's Heroes game that I also did this year.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 14, 2018

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Every time I see those rad knights the green trim makes me think they’re more of those secret Alpha Legion guys and I start looking for the hydras hidden in the U’s.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
90% of what I've painted this year is BattleTech but I've got a few things that I'll get pictures of probably next week once the bases are done.

Also, now that I'm able to post again, I really need to congratulate Beer4theBeerGod on his sick own:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I actually considered picking up a knight.
An Adeptus Titanicus one because I don't have room for a real one sadly.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

The AT knights are adorably tiny. :3:

I still need to pick up a bunch of lancers.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Thanks for the kind words dudes, the knights are definitely my favourite thing I've worked on so far.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
How big are AT titans anyhow? I've been out of the hobby and haven't been keeping up on new releases

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Warlords are approximately 3/4 the size of a 40k knight.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm heavily considering at least picking up one, probably an Errant since that's House Griffith's favorite Knight(Plus never enough melta for Sisters!). They're just so neat and even though my Armigers die like dogs super early every time, they are rad looking and I loved painting them. Only real thing holding me back is that Knights have a bit of a bad name around our club since we have one guy who uses them exclusively and is rather obnoxious wielding them. Last match I saw with them his opponent, an admec player, tailored his list to the 9th degree to end the Knights winning streak but almost got completely wiped out turn 1 when the Knight's got to go first and he just conceded on the spot, it's just not a fun time and it's soured the waters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah, I'd love to get at least one Armiger to paint it up because they look neat and won't take all that much space in my Detolf display case.
Problem is of course getting a single one feels neigh impossible. Especially now that Forgebane is going out of production.

On a different note I really need to buy either one of the GW cases or some more KR foam trays to be able to cycle out stuff in my case. Sadly the solution of getting another case doesn't work due to space issues. :(

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Ya'll are loving intimidating ok

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For the Post your models! here's my most recent completions.

Knights with an SoB entourage. I have more Sisters, but this is just what I brought to an apocalypse game.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

90% of what I've painted this year is BattleTech but I've got a few things that I'll get pictures of probably next week once the bases are done.

Also, now that I'm able to post again, I really need to congratulate Beer4theBeerGod on his sick own:

:master:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Floppychop posted:

Knights with an SoB entourage. I have more Sisters, but this is just what I brought to an apocalypse game.

I like this a lot. Great Knights and a really good complimentary scheme between the two bits.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Floppychop posted:

I wish my Sisters and Armigers were half as well painted as yours, like drat those are fantastic.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
In an attempt to try out Necrons again, post CA, I've made a list. I don't really feel the destroyers, and didn't play with them in 8th, so I'm not sure if I'll include them yet. This is a list I quickly scribbled down on a napkin, but the idea is that there's a lot of decent Necrons units, you could just not bring enough of them.

This should equal to around 2k points:

Cryptek with Chronometron
A barebones Lord
Overlord with Staff of Light. Immortal Pride warlord trait. Artifact to be decided still.

2x 20 Warriors
10x Gauss Immortals (Tesla works too, and might be better with this list, actually)

Triarch Stalker with Heat Ray
6 Canoptek Wraiths
6 Tomb Blades with Gauss
6-9 Canoptek Scarabs

3 Doomsday Arks

Pre-CA this list is close to 2300 points, but I think it's just below 2k now. With 3 Doomsday Arks and a Stalker on the board, I have answers to enemy heavies, and if they shoot on the same target the Arks hits on 2s. I really hope Necrons are viable again after CA..

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The Stalker is re-roll 1s, not +1 to hit. Bear that in mind if you're planning to use Nihilakh Dynastic Code with your Arks as it mostly renders the Stalker redundant.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

In an attempt to try out Necrons again, post CA, I've made a list. I don't really feel the destroyers, and didn't play with them in 8th, so I'm not sure if I'll include them yet. This is a list I quickly scribbled down on a napkin, but the idea is that there's a lot of decent Necrons units, you could just not bring enough of them.

This should equal to around 2k points:

Cryptek with Chronometron
A barebones Lord
Overlord with Staff of Light. Immortal Pride warlord trait. Artifact to be decided still.

2x 20 Warriors
10x Gauss Immortals (Tesla works too, and might be better with this list, actually)

Triarch Stalker with Heat Ray
6 Canoptek Wraiths
6 Tomb Blades with Gauss
6-9 Canoptek Scarabs

3 Doomsday Arks

Pre-CA this list is close to 2300 points, but I think it's just below 2k now. With 3 Doomsday Arks and a Stalker on the board, I have answers to enemy heavies, and if they shoot on the same target the Arks hits on 2s. I really hope Necrons are viable again after CA..

Tesla is the better choice for almost everything right now, especially with MWBD.

10 Tesla immortals are better than 20 warriors almost all the time.

Add an outrider detachment along with another cryptek auto-advancing with Nephrekh to run with the blades.

Put the DDAs in a Nilakh spearhead worth another cryptek.

Swapping the warriors to immortals should give you the points to do this. I'd also cut the Lord in place of a destroyer Lord with the blood scythe and phylactery.

In general, I'd also try to fit in destroyers if you can. Extermination protocols might be our best stratagem, and they provide answers to helverins, TEQ, flyrants, DE flyers, and basically everything else. With 3W, bike toughness, and RP, they're the best unit in the codex by far, especially with a tek nearby

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Having just grabbed a Start Collecting Necrons box the other day this is some extremely good info right here. I just pre-ordered the sweet Cryptek ghost-riding a scarab model. Any more advice on Necrons?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Corrode posted:

I like this a lot. Great Knights and a really good complimentary scheme between the two bits.

Cainer posted:

I wish my Sisters and Armigers were half as well painted as yours, like drat those are fantastic.

Thanks for the kind words. Truth be told I cheated a bit to make the paint so smooth. I airbrushed the whites and reds. Pinwashing was a pain in the rear end though.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

evol262 posted:

Tesla is the better choice for almost everything right now, especially with MWBD.

10 Tesla immortals are better than 20 warriors almost all the time.

Add an outrider detachment along with another cryptek auto-advancing with Nephrekh to run with the blades.

Put the DDAs in a Nilakh spearhead worth another cryptek.

Swapping the warriors to immortals should give you the points to do this. I'd also cut the Lord in place of a destroyer Lord with the blood scythe and phylactery.

In general, I'd also try to fit in destroyers if you can. Extermination protocols might be our best stratagem, and they provide answers to helverins, TEQ, flyrants, DE flyers, and basically everything else. With 3W, bike toughness, and RP, they're the best unit in the codex by far, especially with a tek nearby

+1 on the Destroyers; they're absolute beasts. I'd also recommend Veil of Darkness for your wargear choice. It's just so versatile for getting you where you want to be. I've used it for getting out of trouble after baiting a unit in towards my gunline, claiming late-game Linebreaker, and taking out backline characters.

I'm interested to see how the meta will adapt re: Immortals vs Warriors with the new missions in CA. They seem to heavily favour having larger numbers of troops given the limited previews I've seen.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Floppychop posted:

It's always good to see Sisters.

I can't wait for the new Codex.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Cage Kicker posted:

Having just grabbed a Start Collecting Necrons box the other day this is some extremely good info right here. I just pre-ordered the sweet Cryptek ghost-riding a scarab model. Any more advice on Necrons?

That list pretty much got the gist.

We'll see how it shakes out after CA (stalkers, scythes, and some special characters are now more viable), but DDA, Tesseract Ark, blades, wraiths, and destroyers are the best units.

Triarch units are generally trash, as are canoptek units. Necrons build around relatively high toughness things that can come back from the dead or otherwise tarpit. Blades, destroyers, and wraiths all fit the bill due to a subset of RP, 3++, T5, and they all have FLY. You fly crypteks around with them to give them a 5++ (other than wraiths) with 6" advance dynasties and to help RP for blades/destroyers.

None of the above are ultra killy (destroyers can be), but they're relatively hard to clear while you let scarabs capture objectives and DDAs blap away. Wraiths assault to tie up devs/leviathan dreads/etc, blades/destroyers fly away and shoot again if assaulted

If you're not building a tournament list, Nightbringer, lychguard (post-CA with shields), annihilation barges, and a few others can be fun.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

That list pretty much got the gist.

We'll see how it shakes out after CA (stalkers, scythes, and some special characters are now more viable), but DDA, Tesseract Ark, blades, wraiths, and destroyers are the best units.

Triarch units are generally trash, as are canoptek units. Necrons build around relatively high toughness things that can come back from the dead or otherwise tarpit. Blades, destroyers, and wraiths all fit the bill due to a subset of RP, 3++, T5, and they all have FLY. You fly crypteks around with them to give them a 5++ (other than wraiths) with 6" advance dynasties and to help RP for blades/destroyers.

None of the above are ultra killy (destroyers can be), but they're relatively hard to clear while you let scarabs capture objectives and DDAs blap away. Wraiths assault to tie up devs/leviathan dreads/etc, blades/destroyers fly away and shoot again if assaulted

If you're not building a tournament list, Nightbringer, lychguard (post-CA with shields), annihilation barges, and a few others can be fun.

Thank you! This is my first army of foul, non Astartes xenos

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Corrode posted:

In the same spirit was Walker Weekend or Show Some Character, let's have a year-end Post Your Models - show off stuff you painted in 2018. It's up to you what you want to post - just the stuff you're most proud of, or every goddamn dude down to the last 3pt Gretchin. Tell us what you were painting and why - did you have a project for the year you wanted to complete, or you got super excited about new releases, or you're an insane hobby idiot who's painted 200+ models this year because you're constantly chasing the meta?

Pictured, in chronological order:
  • 1x Techpriest Dominus (the red one), the very first warham I painted. I'm really pleased with how he turned out, but slightly less pleased with how his servo-skull snapped after a week. Also, those fuckers are a pain to glue onto their base.
  • 1x Onager Dunecrawler.
  • 5x Skitarii Rangers. The sniper with the base was an experiment using glue and sand. It looks OK, but there's way too much effort involved for me to apply the same method to the rest of the gang.
  • 1x Armiger Warglaive. I was super-pleased with how that one turned out at first, but as time goes by, and I feel I'm getting better, I just want to strip the paint off, and redo from start.
  • 2x Kastelan Robots. Same as the Warglaive, times a thousand.
  • 1x Belisarius Cawl. Really proud of that one, but he's technically not finished, since I didn't have the greens for his little computer screen.
  • 12x Skitarii Vanguard. Tabletop-ready only, as they were an experiment in how to make the painting process more efficient. Turns out assembly lines work!
  • 2x Armiger Helverins. In a moment of weakness, I snagged a box of these. Seriously, Knights are to cool. Tabletop-ready+
  • 1x Techpriest Dominus (the blue one). Trying out my Kill Team colours. Turned out smashing, IMO.
  • 1x Sicarian Infiltrator Princeps. Kill Team.
  • 1x Sicarian Ruststalker Princeips. Kill Team.
  • 1x Knight Valiant. Technically not tabletop-ready, since it's only been dry-fit together, but it looks soooo cool!

I only started collecting warhams late august/early september, so I think I've been pretty good about getting poo poo done. That said, I've got a lot of stuff to do; see list down below :aaaaa: But right now, my priority is getting my knights finished. That means painting and assembling the Valiant, finishing the two Helverins, and painting/assembling the last Warglaive. Then, at some time in the future, re-painting the first Warglaive.

Not shown: 1x Armiger Warglaive (primed, sub-assembled), 1x Onager Dunecrawler (sub-assembled), 4x Sicarian Infiltrators (primed, assembled), 1x Cybernetica Datasmith (primed, assembled), 3x Skitarii Vanguards (painted, unbased), 2x Skitarii Vanguards (painted, unassembled), 8x Skitarii Vanguards (primed, unassembled), 1x Sydonian Dragoon (primed, sub-assembled); also, the terrain from the Kill Team starter set. It's painted and table-top ready, but I can't be arsed to do any detailing on it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Fuegan posted:

+1 on the Destroyers; they're absolute beasts. I'd also recommend Veil of Darkness for your wargear choice. It's just so versatile for getting you where you want to be. I've used it for getting out of trouble after baiting a unit in towards my gunline, claiming late-game Linebreaker, and taking out backline characters.

I'm interested to see how the meta will adapt re: Immortals vs Warriors with the new missions in CA. They seem to heavily favour having larger numbers of troops given the limited previews I've seen.

It's a shame destroyers are such old sucky models

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

gender illusionist posted:

It's a shame destroyers are such old sucky models

This guy makes replacements for the lovely green glowsticks that are in the new style of gauss weapons. That does help a bit.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Cleaned up another RTT last weekend with the speeders guard crusader list. This time I tried out the imperial space marine. He is garbage but it was fun.

Opponents were
a super new BA/DA player
A good custode bike guy
Valliant crusader castellan and 2 melee armigers

Games were solid, the speeder output is real. Cutting the hellhounds for rough riders was nice as it let me have some more downtown presence. CA puts me in a funny place since I'm already at like 90 spare points and my stuff only gets cheaper.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Corrode posted:

In the same spirit was Walker Weekend or Show Some Character, let's have a year-end Post Your Models - show off stuff you painted in 2018. It's up to you what you want to post - just the stuff you're most proud of, or every goddamn dude down to the last 3pt Gretchin. Tell us what you were painting and why - did you have a project for the year you wanted to complete, or you got super excited about new releases, or you're an insane hobby idiot who's painted 200+ models this year because you're constantly chasing the meta?

I've started way too many armies this year. Fortunately most of them are mostly painted. My backlog is depressing though:

Custodes

Knights

Flesh Tearers

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 14, 2018

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

My buddy and I just bought a ton of pictured poo poo, about 10 huge sprues of yet unidentified stuff, a box of pewter eldar and harley and drew carey stuff and an official citital hard carrying case from some guy on kijiji for 60 cdn and I think this constitutes theft. I don't know what most of this even is. Guess i'm getting into killteam.

Does anyone know what the thing on the top right is that's a mech looking guy?

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 14, 2018

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My buddy and I just bought a ton of pictured poo poo, about 10 huge sprues of yet unidentified stuff, a box of pewter eldar and harley and drew carey stuff and an official citital hard carrying case from some guy on kijiji for 60 cdn and I think this constitutes theft. I don't know what most of this even is. Guess i'm getting into killteam.

Dude, sell me a couple of those Necron Warriors! I've been hunting for a few Warriors for my Kill Team and haven't found anything locally.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Does anyone know what the thing on the top right is that's a mech looking guy?

Eldar war walker

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Jcam posted:

Dude, sell me a couple of those Necron Warriors! I've been hunting for a few Warriors for my Kill Team and haven't found anything locally.

Probably keeping everything that's complete for now, but I notice lots of necron stuff on this giant ebay auction that ends every Sunday (and combines cheap shipping)
Search "seller:aa-wargames" on ebay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deified Data posted:

There's a certain aesthetic malaise that sweeps over me every time I see Knights until I see someone who actually gives a poo poo and I'm immediately possessed by the desire to buy and paint one.

I don't give a poo poo about how they play but the idea of knight houses and their pilots is so cool.

I think knights are pretty cool in a sorta battletech way, but I kinda think knights fighting anything other than knight is lame.

Just seems goofy to me, like in xenogears if you had people on foot punching a mech.

I may paint one someday, the idea of single large models appeals more than painting 60 boyz, but IDK about fielding them in 40k.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Zaphod42 posted:

I think knights are pretty cool in a sorta battletech way, but I kinda think knights fighting anything other than knight is lame.

Just seems goofy to me, like in xenogears if you had people on foot punching a mech.

I may paint one someday, the idea of single large models appeals more than painting 60 boyz, but IDK about fielding them in 40k.

I agree but I’m kinda curious how many grots it would take to pull one down.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LingcodKilla posted:

I agree but I’m kinda curious how many grots it would take to pull one down.

You just have to pretend they're literally jamming themselves into the moving parts and eventually the sheer amount of gunk brings the thing down.

Groetgaffel posted:

This guy makes replacements for the lovely green glowsticks that are in the new style of gauss weapons. That does help a bit.

Is it bad that I think the glowsticks are cool?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 14, 2018

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

And to think I've been cutting them to shape out of spare gauss weapons from the Immortals kit... :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Jcam posted:

I have about 40 more than I'm ever likely to use. Send me :10bux: to cover shipping, and I'll give you as many as you need