Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raldikuk posted:

My favorite from this is this reveal:

Lmbo the car he bought early this year after losing jobs and taking a 50% salary cut was a brand new kia forte. Why? Just loving why. $400/mo + ins for the privilege to drive a brand new kia, just unbelievable. And calling a car that now has 21k miles on it (also how? That's a fuckton of miles for someone whose household has 3 other cars) new. But I'm sure he just means he bought it new.

quote:

You have no equity in your current car, like from a down payment?

How far underwater is your wife's vehicle?

quote:

permalink embedsave parentreportgive awardreply

[–]Ricksanchezforlife

[S] 1 point 9 hours ago
I'll need to double check the actual financing side, but we got it after we traded in a previous vehicle.

I know the thread I'm in......but what the gently caress. How do this many people have no idea what they are doing and get sucked into buying based on payment. I simply refuse to believe this many people are that stupid. It has to be willful ignorance and excessive optimism about the future.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Droo posted:

Well I bought a $5 sandwich today but over the next 50 years that $5 could have turned into a 95% confidence interval range of $428 to $3124 but I discounted it based on my family longevity and inflated it based on the likelihood that I have heirs who inherit the hypothetical sandwich fund so I have averaged all possible futures and concluded that this sandwich cost me $19876.27 over the next 10 generations of my family. Once we successfully build a quantum computer I will be able to complete the analysis for all time until the sun explodes and I can finally know what my sandwich actually costs.

Sandwich ain't gonna do so hot when we get rid of family office exemptions or at least cut it down from 10 generations to like 2.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Motronic posted:

I know the thread I'm in......but what the gently caress. How do this many people have no idea what they are doing and get sucked into buying based on payment. I simply refuse to believe this many people are that stupid. It has to be willful ignorance and excessive optimism about the future.

Payment buyers are more common than not. It's an easy way to live the life of your dreams if you calculate what goodies you can stack up before your bank account hits zero after all the payments each month. Next step of course is calculating that based on the absolute minimum payments you can make, which in many cases doesn't really even service the debt.

There's plenty of blame to go around on both ends here. Banks shouldn't be lending people money that allow them to get in these situations, and the people doing it should pull their heads out of their asses.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Droo posted:

Well I bought a $5 sandwich today but over the next 50 years that $5 could have turned into a 95% confidence interval range of $428 to $3124 but I discounted it based on my family longevity and inflated it based on the likelihood that I have heirs who inherit the hypothetical sandwich fund so I have averaged all possible futures and concluded that this sandwich cost me $19876.27 over the next 10 generations of my family. Once we successfully build a quantum computer I will be able to complete the analysis for all time until the sun explodes and I can finally know what my sandwich actually costs.

Yea well if you bought that sandwich on a credit card it’s not really yours until your statement arrives and you paid it off.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I sincerely appreciate this post

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Raldikuk posted:

My favorite from this is this reveal:

Lmbo the car he bought early this year after losing jobs and taking a 50% salary cut was a brand new kia forte. Why? Just loving why. $400/mo + ins for the privilege to drive a brand new kia, just unbelievable. And calling a car that now has 21k miles on it (also how? That's a fuckton of miles for someone whose household has 3 other cars) new. But I'm sure he just means he bought it new.

Kias actually aren't the shitboxes they used to be. Does seem like a high payment for a compact of any kind, though.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

AndrewP posted:

Kias actually aren't the shitboxes they used to be. Does seem like a high payment for a compact of any kind, though.

Engines are fine afaik, they sure as hell don’t hold their value though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Not to be snarky at all, but does anyone here place much importance on how well their car will hold its value? There's a lot of overlap between BWM and people frequently trading cars.

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not to be snarky at all, but does anyone here place much importance on how well their car will hold its value? There's a lot of overlap between BWM and people frequently trading cars.

It's important for anyone who leases a car; especially when trying to determine if they got a 'good deal.'

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A lot, since depreciation is the primary determinant of net cost of ownership.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Raldikuk posted:

There's no reason you couldn't do a present value calculation to take into account TVM. I suspect the main reason people don't is because 1) they don't even think of it in the first place 2) purchase price is easier to convey and compare 3) people want to delude themselves about the true cost they're paying. Also talking in those terms might allow people to figure out just how terrible your credit is since the numbers imply a 10% apr on a 30yr mortgage or whatever. It is certainly a good idea to do that analysis tho and there's a reason that type of thing is the cornerstone of corporate finance.

I suspect the main reason people don't is because it is a complex calculation with a lot of assumptions included that doesn't reveal anything particularly meaningful to other people in casual conversation, but that's just my take on it

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I thought about getting a houseboat but then I wondered about depreciation and abandoned that thought like 2 minutes in

Accounting: yay

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Furia posted:

I thought about getting a houseboat but then I wondered about depreciation and abandoned that thought like 2 minutes in

Accounting: yay

Better make a thread about it to be safe

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I kind of already gave you all the content, sorry

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Well then let's all reacquaint ourselves with the old one. It's a pro-click. An old favorite

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748155

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

UCS Hellmaker posted:

And how did he think a vacation not even 3 months after being hired was a good idea?

If you change jobs in the late spring you shouldn’t take a summer vacation? What’s wrong with taking a vacation 3 months in? Should it be 6? 18?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yup. I was able to drive a sports car for very little in depreciation for a few years.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Residency Evil posted:

Yup. I was able to drive a sports car for very little in depreciation for a few years.
Depreciation is great if you want to buy a nice 3-year old car for half off and drive it for a decade.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

one of my justifications for my terribly BMW BMW is that it holds its value exceedingly well

the other car i will drive into the ground probably

edit: in shamefulness for self posting here is some info:

redditor posted:

I am currently dealing with a garnishment on my paycheck, and about six months ago, my bank account was hit with a lien by another creditor. Luckily for me, they hit me between paychecks, and I was able to get my deposit switched to an Amex Bluebird card I’ve had for years. I love the Bluebird, as I’ve never paid a fee for anything as long as I’ve had it. The problem is, it’s an Amex, which not everyone accepts.

The lien is specific to California, where I live. As Bluebird is based in a different state, the creditor hasn’t been able to find the account. I’d like to have a second account somewhere else, preferably one that uses a Visa or MasterCard, to open up the purchasing options a little.

Thoughts?

hmmmm whatever could that lien be hmmmm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 14, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Cool.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Hey guys who wants to hear about how little my car depreciates?!

No one :confused:

Does it make sense to go tax exempt on a few paychecks to aggressively pay off high interest debt?

quote:

Like the title says, I owe

18,993 in credit card debt

21,265 in car loans

And 29,021 in personal loans

I gross about $115-125k a year, currently filing taxes as a single, non exempt.

My paychecks are about $6-6.9k, twice a month, but after taxes and everything, I take home about 3 grand.

I live in an expensive metropolitan area so the cheapest rent I could find was $1,100 a month, sharing a 2 bed with a roommate.

I feel like if I jus went exempt for two months I could clear my credit card debt and just deal with the irs owings later. Does this make sense at all or am I just making poo poo up about things I don’t understand?

Edit: I know the math doesn’t work out between my paychecks and my gross annual, but some checks are lighter than others.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Inept posted:

Hey guys who wants to hear about how little my car depreciates?!

No one :confused:

Does it make sense to go tax exempt on a few paychecks to aggressively pay off high interest debt?

I'm guessing the problem he's missing is that the IRS may charge him a penalty for underpayment. At least he acknowledged that he still has to pay those deferred taxes but I question his ability to remember to save money to pay the deferred amount come April.

Also a Kia Forte is a decent car but it's not a $400 a month (for 72 months, let's be honest) car. If instead of buying brand new he bought a 3 year old Forte he would be saving on monthly payment and on insurance.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

I'm guessing the problem he's missing is that the IRS may charge him a penalty for underpayment. At least he acknowledged that he still has to pay those deferred taxes but I question his ability to remember to save money to pay the deferred amount come April.

That and he also nets 6k a month, pays $1100 for rent, and somehow has $50k in non-car debt. But if only he didn't pay taxes for a bit he'd be fine!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

[/quote]

I deal with the general public everyday. The majority of people focus on two things: Today’s costs and monthly costs. Buying a $1,000 phone up front is mostly a no go. But hey, for $52 a month might as well get the bigger one and more storage space.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

it's also aggressively reinforced across society by people who stand to profit from it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Like once you've saved enough you can just borrow from yourself and pay yourself back, no need to ring up credit with interest.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Remember this bit from yesterday?

Mr.Radar posted:

How about investing with companies that advertise on podcasts? Yesterday this happened with Robinhood:

Robinhood chose today to launch their new checking account product (with 3% interest) and I found this out while looking at their Reddit to see if they could be trusted. I think I'll pass on this offer for now. :v:

Yeah, turns out they can't be trusted. They weren't actually creating a banking product that would be insured by the FDIC or NCUA, they were instead creating a brokerage account you could withdraw from via a debit card which Robinhood said would be covered by SIPC insurance. Except the SIPC says those funds would probably not qualify for SIPC insurance:

quote:

“I disagree with the statement that these funds are protected by SIPC,” Stephen Harbeck, president and chief executive officer of SIPC, said in an interview Friday. “Had they called us, I would have told them what I just told you in that I have serious concerns about this. This has gigantic ramifications for the banking industry.”
“The statute that we administer says that we protect money with a brokerage firm that is used for the purchase of securities,” he added. “On Robinhood’s help page, it says that you don’t need to invest to use Robinhood checking and savings, that statement is wrong. If you deposit money for any other purpose, it is not protected.”

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 14, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah, turns out they can't be trusted. They weren't actually creating a banking product that would be insured by the FDIC or NCUA, they were instead creating a brokerage account you could withdraw from via a debit card which Robinhood said would be covered by SIPC insurance. Except the SIPC says those funds would probably not qualify for SIPC insurance:
You've just made my Friday. Thank you for this.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mr.Radar posted:

Lol God I love this shitshow.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Duckman2008 posted:

I deal with the general public everyday. The majority of people focus on two things: Today’s costs and monthly costs. Buying a $1,000 phone up front is mostly a no go. But hey, for $52 a month might as well get the bigger one and more storage space.

What throws me is that you can see they're offering two options (one which seems much more appealing at face level) and then not immediately look into why those are the two numbers or at least compare the totals head to head.

Like, I remember seeing a monthly payment number on Gazelle that seemed insanely low - with one click you can see that their quote of the $52/month number in your example is based on an 18 month plan at a 10% APR (when it ranges from 10%-30%).

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

That's a real nice coda to that day-long saga.

Need advice on car troubles

quote:

So I recently bought a brand new 2018 Mazda 6 with the principal balance of 31k, but now its 27k. I pay 494 monthly and I honestly can't deal with the toll that the car payment has on me. The car was given to me by my parents as a surprise but the surprise was that I was the one who was going to pay for it... My question is if I were to sell the car how much would I be losing?

$30k of debt is a great gift indeed

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Also a Kia Forte is a decent car but it's not a $400 a month (for 72 months, let's be honest) car. If instead of buying brand new he bought a 3 year old Forte he would be saving on monthly payment and on insurance.

There’s a sporty Kia Forte that could fall into the $400 a month range depending on factors.

The sad part to me is that his costs aren’t THAT bad. His home price is reasonable, his cars are expensive, but not even in the 50% percentile for this thread. He has to downsize, especially where’s he’s supporting grown kids, but he was dealt a poo poo hand twice. It’s tough enough adjusting once to a pay change like that. Twice in a year is brutal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AndrewP posted:

That's a real nice coda to that day-long saga.

Need advice on car troubles

$30k of debt is a great gift indeed

lol how does that even work, did they haul him in to refi under his name or did they just plunk down some minimum down payment?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I always feel like there's a little more to those stories - not that I don't believe there are terrible parents who gently caress their kids over, but at the same time passing it off as "my parents stuck me with this! I'm innocent!" is a little too convenient.

My guess is that OP is more complicit in the arrangement than he's letting on.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

FAUXTON posted:

lol how does that even work, did they haul him in to refi under his name or did they just plunk down some minimum down payment?

quote:

They bought it under their names but financing is 60 months 0 APR

He does say in the thread:

quote:

I recently got a good paying job and I could afford the payments but I rather use the money on other stuff like traveling or just saving it.

So it at least sounds like he can afford it, well besides the "Congrats, here's a new $500/month payment!"

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Murderball posted:

Well then let's all reacquaint ourselves with the old one. It's a pro-click. An old favorite

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748155

The part with the contract :stare:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JayKay posted:

He does say in the thread:

So it at least sounds like he can afford it, well besides the "Congrats, here's a new $500/month payment!"

Eh that's probably a better deal than he could have gotten on his own, too bad about the payments though. Maybe pay it down ahead of time and sell once it puts him in the black?

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Motronic posted:

I know the thread I'm in......but what the gently caress. How do this many people have no idea what they are doing and get sucked into buying based on payment. I simply refuse to believe this many people are that stupid.

I have bad news about many people.

dexter posted:

It's important for anyone who leases a car; especially when trying to determine if they got a 'good deal.'

loving LMAO at the idea of leasing a loving Kia Forte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Eh that's probably a better deal than he could have gotten on his own, too bad about the payments though. Maybe pay it down ahead of time and sell once it puts him in the black?

I think he should work something out with his parents where he's not stuck holding the bag on this huge loan he didn't even ask for.

Theoretically he could just not pay and let them deal with it, but I suspect he probably doesn't want to ruin his relationship with his parents.