Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Think of the polymorph spell mages get in WoW: mezzing is that but more powerful (you could use mesmerize to lock down multiple dudes in EQ and it didn't heal them like polymorph does)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

What is mezzing? I started with ffxi. Never got into eq cause I wasnt old enough to afford the sub.

its the equivalent of FFXI's resting mechanic from vanilla, only more of it

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
That’s Medding, or meditating. Mezzing, or Mesmerizing, is crowd control, not unlike WoW’s Polymorph as Flavahbeast pointed out.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Groovelord Neato posted:

if p99 had the population of my old eq server (same level range so most people were in the lower levels) i'd play the poo poo out of it. it was only tough going back seeing all the bopping leveling zones mostly empty.

If you played at launch P99 definitely recreated the original EQ feel. All the low level zones full of people, all wearing lovely items, getting to raiding levels and trying to be the first to do stuff was really cool. I think that opportunity is gone, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i only started within the past year. i had read something about a "green" sever where they'd reset everything but didn't see more than a few posts. it was bizarre seeing the ec orc camps always free - i remember /shouting every time i logged in after school to see if they were open and you'd have to wait to get a slot in one of the groups (and northern ro was just totally empty).

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I stopped playing on P99 at level 26ish because it would take hours and hours to find a group, and even getting in the informal queue was lucky

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Finding groups on p99 is really easy as long as you stick to the most efficient leveling zones, given that the zone experience modifiers are now public knowledge, most people just stick to those. If you want groups you’ll want to do newbie zone to 10, Kurns/Crushbone to level 20, Unrest to 25, HHK Gobs to 35, ?? to 40, then COM to 50. Those zones are always packed.

FWIW I’m one of those brain damaged types that has actually really been enjoying P99. The sense of danger and mystery, I still get lost and scared I’m going to die all the time, the tremendous socializing required to make it in the world, the experience isn’t really present in any other MMO.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

but i wanna do the ec > north ro > marr like i did back in the day!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Groovelord Neato posted:

but i wanna do the ec > north ro > marr like i did back in the day!

Necro!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't play casters. i'm a manly man.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

hayden. posted:

If you played at launch P99 definitely recreated the original EQ feel. All the low level zones full of people, all wearing lovely items, getting to raiding levels and trying to be the first to do stuff was really cool. I think that opportunity is gone, though.

Oh buddy I have a terrible thing to tell you. This exists and Daybreak releases a new EQ Progression server like clockwork yearly now.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

cmdrk posted:

Gotta bind your Sense Heading skill to your arrow keys, so you can max it out while running around!

this is the only way to play

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Oh buddy I have a terrible thing to tell you. This exists and Daybreak releases a new EQ Progression server like clockwork yearly now.

Yeah but it still has bullshit like the revamped zones which entirely ruins it. Plus it's all my favorite zones, Freeport, Commons, Oasis, etc.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 5, 2018

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Yeah, EQ progression servers are nothing like P99. I think P99 is the closest to capturing what EQ was back in the day. Those Progression servers are EQ lite. Just the fact of having to retrieve your corpse at death, not to mention all the other poo poo that made EQ what it was back then, makes you rethink your entire strategy on what content you want to do.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Ehud posted:

hey screw you I'm only 33

I think he means when the game comes out

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
We're all forgetting that having an Enchanter in your group most likely means high level mana regen spells becoming available. Yeah, you have down time when you're a low level group, in a challenging dungeon. It should be that way. Your team should have a hard time clearing content without roles being filled. Highly group centric content is what keeps all of us 40 year old spergs from playing stupid ADD-focused MMOs that get pumped out by terrible studios.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Jebediah posted:

We're all forgetting that having an Enchanter in your group most likely means high level mana regen spells becoming available. Yeah, you have down time when you're a low level group, in a challenging dungeon. It should be that way. Your team should have a hard time clearing content without roles being filled. Highly group centric content is what keeps all of us 40 year old spergs from playing stupid ADD-focused MMOs that get pumped out by terrible studios.

Nah

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jebediah posted:

I’m only 33

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Jebediah posted:

I don't think lulls between fights are necessarily such a bad thing, as long as they aren't ridiculously long. In a good group, the occasional downtimes just mean getting a break to shoot the poo poo with the others. In modern MMOs everyone else might as well be a bot (and honestly if randos in FFXIV / WoW dungeon runs etc. were bots I doubt anyone would even notice).

I never even played EQ back in the day (stupid young me bought it, thinking I wouldn't need a credit card to sign up and could play with just gametime cards. Oops) but P99 with an actual playerbase would be great.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Dropbear posted:

I don't think lulls between fights are necessarily such a bad thing, as long as they aren't ridiculously long. In a good group, the occasional downtimes just mean getting a break to shoot the poo poo with the others. In modern MMOs everyone else might as well be a bot (and honestly if randos in FFXIV / WoW dungeon runs etc. were bots I doubt anyone would even notice).

I never even played EQ back in the day (stupid young me bought it, thinking I wouldn't need a credit card to sign up and could play with just gametime cards. Oops) but P99 with an actual playerbase would be great.

P99 has a very healthy player base what are you talking about?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

insider posted:

P99 has a very healthy player base what are you talking about?

it's "healthy" but it doesn't feel like a super full server to me - ~700 during the day, twice that at night, and half of them are in E Commonlands tunnel. I played to level 27ish earlier this year and quit because its just too hard to find groups most of the time since most zones are completely empty and most camps are uncamped

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

We're really just throwing around definitions of healthy without considering EverQuest addicts.. any of us talking about EQ have nostalgic brain worms where "fun activity" should be placed.

P99 is powered by hopes and dreams of tryhards rerolling alt #6-10, and people wanting to try it fresh on a whim. It's not a full server, it's extremely top heavy, and has been around for what, 7+ years now? It's not dead to people on the top end that have had raid targets on lockdown for literal years. Or for the seedy RMT market that has been in full existence on p99 since selling characters for real money was totally okay by the admins back in the day. RMT hasn't stopped. It's dead if you want to casually step into a teens-30s exp zone and expect multiple camps to be occupied with groups that aren't all pre-filled with alts getting PL'd by someone, if you run into anybody at all.

Had some really good times on p99, but that was all while leveling with a bunch of fresh people and friends from other games. Soon as you hit endgame, poo poo gets extremely ugly and just neckbeardy that makes 40m wow raids seem almost normal. Someone said it best in the EQ thread, i think, several months back. Along the lines of, "never have I experienced such insufferable discord chatter as when I'm raiding in EQ," it's so god drat true it makes me wonder why I kept going back for yet another TLP :psyduck:

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 14, 2018

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

It's dead if you want to casually step into a teens-30s exp zone and expect multiple camps to be occupied with groups that aren't all pre-filled with alts getting PL'd by someone, if you run into anybody at all.

FWIW that really hasn’t been my experience at all. I started a char this summer and have gotten him to the upper 50s. While leveling up the newbie zones always had people in them, FOB and Gfay were packed, Kurns/crushbone typically had 20+ people in them, same goes for unrest/mistmoore, HHK, COM, KC, etc. There are definitely preferred leveling zones that people tend to congregate towards for efficiency.

That said, the other day I ran from South Karana to Permafrost, and there were 20-30 people in SK, 20 people in West Karana, half a dozen people in QHills and Blackburrow each. I specifically thought “drat this is awesome, these classic zones still feel alive”.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

important newsletter updates for this video game

quote:

THE TEAM GROWS
First, let’s talk about the team expansion!

We’ve brought on a brand new lead animator who will be joining us next week. He’s got oodles of experience in animating, leading animation teams and MMO-specific animations so he’s the right person for the job. We’re very excited to get him on the team. Be sure to keep an eye out for a formal introduction soon.

Additionally, we are bringing on another concept artist who will help the rest of the art team to get new work into the development pipeline.

Finally, we’ve got a new character artist.

We are also posting a few new jobs soon. These are for a VFX artist, a web developer and a position in Development Operations.

PROJECT FAERTHALE
So, what are all these positions pointing to? Why an exciting new Pantheon build of course!

For the first time since development started we are bringing together the full Pantheon experience, with all of the systems, animations, models, sounds, and effects one would expect to see in a modern game. With the end of Pre-Alpha 4 coming up in a couple of short weeks, we are happy with the state of Pantheon and it’s time to really flesh out the concepts and systems we have in place. We also aim to add in a few new systems we have talked about but haven’t quite worked into a Pre-Alpha build.

This project, dubbed Project Faerthale, will show Pantheon as it is meant to be experienced. Notice I said “experienced” and not “played” because we believe this next iteration will be much, much closer to our goal of creating a full world, a home, not just a game. It will be the culmination of awesome systems complimented by thoughtful visual effects, animations and sounds. It will be representative of the minimum caliber of game we are targeting for launch. It will also include some exciting new NPCs and at least one significant boss encounter, which is where our new character artist comes in.

This will require intense, sustained focus from all departments, from programming, to tools, to art and animation, to lore, to design, to tech and db... and everything in between. Most importantly, this is going to take time.

This massive milestone means that after Pre-Alpha 4 wraps up, we won’t have another client out for our testers for some time. We will keep all of our community up-to-date on the state of Pantheon and Faerthale, but expect a delay before the world opens to play again. We are quite confident you’ll agree it will have been worth the wait.

CONCLUSION
We will have more to share on this project in January, but for now, them’s the plans. All teams are booked solid through to the holidays as we flesh out the plans for this build and we hit the ground running in January.

Faerthale early screenshots:

There is also a bunch of Lore stuff here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2018_december_rogues_gallery/

Pre-alpha player experience quotes here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2018_december_player_experiences/

And some more fluff with a player spotlight here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2018_december_community_spotlight/

And here are a bunch of screenshots and concept art scattered throughout the letter...

I want that shield

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wanna be a tree person.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Those first two are straight up Skyrim's Spriggans.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
PROJECT FARTINHALE

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Acorn Elemental looks terrifying.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't play casters. i'm a manly man.

you didnt even want to duo bitch

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm glad they understand the kickstarter game system and hired concept artists and animators but nobody to ensure the game systems are fun to play.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Byolante posted:

I'm glad they understand the kickstarter game system and hired concept artists and animators but nobody to ensure the game systems are fun to play.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Byolante posted:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please, Mister Mithara was my father's name

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Givin posted:

PROJECT FARTINHALE

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Ramzan Kadyrov, president of Chechnya, is leading a double life as retro mmo developer.

This explains a lot about the game.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

anyone want a job

https://twitter.com/PantheonMMO/status/1085957872440262658

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
drat, still no positions for professional Ideas Guy

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Wonder if that not-ogre's plate armor had skulls on it originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
nothing about the compensation package. Probably about as small as the package of a long term opiod addict.