Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spacebump posted:

have basic features like party chat.

https://twitter.com/ninsoup/status/1072509323283181568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao this is incredible bait

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cojawfee posted:

Microsoft spends time and money to make one game work as BC and then everyone who owns it, either digitally, or on disc, is allowed to download it and play it without paying MS anything. That's the right way to do it. This point usually causes some Sony/Nintendo fanboy to say "that's because Microsoft is behind Sony and they are only doing it to attract people to Xbox." And I don't really care. Microsoft is doing the right thing at this moment, and I will praise them for it. If they change course and do the wrong thing, I will pan them for it. If Sony or Nintendo suddenly come out and say "If you owned this game digitally in the past, you can download it for free on the new platform" I will praise them for doing so. I don't get why people praise anti-consumer actions just because their platform does it.

I don't have the current numbers on this in front of me, but isn't the Xbox division generally unprofitable? Like, the sole purpose of the thing is to get a Microsoft box in everyone's gone, to get them to use Internet Explorer or Edge for their browser, to get them to have a Microsoft account, brand awareness, to buy media through their online store, and to tie them into Windows in some regard with stuff like Play Anywhere where you not have a ton of games that can be played on a Windows PC? The entire company is pretty much propped up by their business software and Windows sales. Its in there best interest to do these things to keep their fan base loyal, keep them on an XBox console and prevent them from going to Sony because they can afford to.

This kind of reminds me of Uber and talking to people about how Uber is so much cheaper compared to taxis, and then complaining when Uber raises fees... yet ignoring that the entire company is not even profitable. Their goal seems to just do whatever they can to get and keep customers. And if they raised their rates I'd be like "yeah, that makes sense... the company is losing money!" That's not me defending the company. That's me just understanding you need to make a profit off the services a company offers to survive.

Meanwhile... Nintendo is a company that just does gaming and needs to make a profit on everything that they do. While I think some of it is nickel and diming (do I really need to pay for Super Mario Bros for the 7th time in my life?), they probably can't just put a whole team on making games backward compatible on their new system for free.

I assume that Nintendo probably looks at the play data for these titles and figures that for as much as people complain about these things online... people are not buying and playing these classic games nearly enough to justify dumping a ton of money into giving something away for free. I mean, I have spent $150 on my Nintendo mini consoles, and I think I've spent more time in this thread talking about it than I have playing the thing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Astro7x posted:

I don't have the current numbers on this in front of me, but isn't the Xbox division generally unprofitable? Like, the sole purpose of the thing is to get a Microsoft box in everyone's gone, to get them to use Internet Explorer or Edge for their browser, to get them to have a Microsoft account, brand awareness, to buy media through their online store, and to tie them into Windows in some regard with stuff like Play Anywhere where you not have a ton of games that can be played on a Windows PC? The entire company is pretty much propped up by their business software and Windows sales. Its in there best interest to do these things to keep their fan base loyal, keep them on an XBox console and prevent them from going to Sony because they can afford to.

This kind of reminds me of Uber and talking to people about how Uber is so much cheaper compared to taxis, and then complaining when Uber raises fees... yet ignoring that the entire company is not even profitable. Their goal seems to just do whatever they can to get and keep customers. And if they raised their rates I'd be like "yeah, that makes sense... the company is losing money!" That's not me defending the company. That's me just understanding you need to make a profit off the services a company offers to survive.

Meanwhile... Nintendo is a company that just does gaming and needs to make a profit on everything that they do. While I think some of it is nickel and diming (do I really need to pay for Super Mario Bros for the 7th time in my life?), they probably can't just put a whole team on making games backward compatible on their new system for free.

I assume that Nintendo probably looks at the play data for these titles and figures that for as much as people complain about these things online... people are not buying and playing these classic games nearly enough to justify dumping a ton of money into giving something away for free. I mean, I have spent $150 on my Nintendo mini consoles, and I think I've spent more time in this thread talking about it than I have playing the thing

You're describing a loss leader. A company makes something that is attractive that they lose money on, but it gets people into their ecosystem and then they start buying other things that offsets the initial loss. Nintendo has a license to print money. They have some of the most famous video game IP in the world. If they announced that games people owned digitally on the Wii or WiiU would slowly be added to the Switch over time and you can just install them without paying more money, that brings people into the Switch ecosystem. When they announce that these games are being released as BC on the Switch, that gets people to buy them if they haven't played before. Then once people are in the Switch ecosystem, they will start buying other games as well. Nintendo is obsessed with every product they make turning a profit, to the point where they shoot themselves in the foot by not making enough of a product that everyone is clamoring for.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendo is obsessed with every product they make turning a profit, to the point where they shoot themselves in the foot by not making enough of a product that everyone is clamoring for.

They probably would have made at least double the money they did make if the NES Classic was reliably available at launch.

Also probably even more than that if they'd made it a Wii game instead, like they did with Super Mario All-Stars.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cojawfee posted:

Microsoft spends time and money to make one game work as BC and then everyone who owns it, either digitally, or on disc, is allowed to download it and play it without paying MS anything. That's the right way to do it. This point usually causes some Sony/Nintendo fanboy to say "that's because Microsoft is behind Sony and they are only doing it to attract people to Xbox." And I don't really care. Microsoft is doing the right thing at this moment, and I will praise them for it. If they change course and do the wrong thing, I will pan them for it. If Sony or Nintendo suddenly come out and say "If you owned this game digitally in the past, you can download it for free on the new platform" I will praise them for doing so. I don't get why people praise anti-consumer actions just because their platform does it.

This is sort of a derail, but to me, another point for Microsoft was how they've handled Minecraft. It's incredible! Super easy to use connectivity, a more stable game built from the ground up, playing nice with phones, consoles, and the only thing getting in the way of playing with the PS4 platform isn't them, but Sony. There's a ton of bitching online about 'Oh god, MS killed Minecraft', but I don't get where these people are coming from; they haven't touched the Java version whatsoever, and they've actually made it so I never, ever want to go back to that janky copy I have. Like... my god, I get more enjoyment out of playing Minecraft on my phone than I do attempting to play the older version on my PC. The new version runs like butter on every platform I own, and I'm going to get it again for the Switch, so I can show my 4 year old son, and we can play together.

The whole thing is loving perfect.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

TheScott2K posted:

Friends, don't play the SNES version of Alpha 2

I own it and it is the crown jewel of my collection. The label is entirely blue from sitting in a pawn shop window for years

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I had Alpha 2, was always frustrated I couldn't play it if I had my Super WildCard DX plugged in as it wouldn't pass through. Don't remember it being bad, but I'm not very good at fighting games.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The SNES version looks like an unlicensed bootleg you'd find in a cheap arcade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

You're describing a loss leader. A company makes something that is attractive that they lose money on, but it gets people into their ecosystem and then they start buying other things that offsets the initial loss. Nintendo has a license to print money. They have some of the most famous video game IP in the world. If they announced that games people owned digitally on the Wii or WiiU would slowly be added to the Switch over time and you can just install them without paying more money, that brings people into the Switch ecosystem. When they announce that these games are being released as BC on the Switch, that gets people to buy them if they haven't played before. Then once people are in the Switch ecosystem, they will start buying other games as well. Nintendo is obsessed with every product they make turning a profit, to the point where they shoot themselves in the foot by not making enough of a product that everyone is clamoring for.

The problem there is that Microsoft doesn't actually HAVE anything beyond the Xbox and 360 games for customers to keep buying, save maybe Rare Replay, because its big-ticket titles like Halo 5 and Gears 4 have all been considered pretty lackluster even among their hardcore playerbases. Anything new-release is far more enticing on the PS4 due to its exclusives, and their smattering of non-Halo/Gears exclusives all wound up with Steam iterations on PC. After moving the line back from "PC version, but only in OUR Windows app store". Microsoft really WISH it was a loss leader, but it's just not gonna play out that way.

Also there's no way at all to "just" port Wii, and ESPECIALLY WiiU, games to the Switch.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

With SA-1 and SFX support added, I think the only game I’m waiting to get up and running on my sd2snes is Far East of Eden Zero.

I do really like how sd2snes supports MSU1, a chip created just a couple of years ago that gives the SNES FMV capabilities and CD-quality audio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is the SNES classic thread. I was talking about the virtual console games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

This is the SNES classic thread. I was talking about the virtual console games.

Good luck trying that with the N64 games then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ballz posted:

With SA-1 and SFX support added, I think the only game I’m waiting to get up and running on my sd2snes is Far East of Eden Zero.

I do really like how sd2snes supports MSU1, a chip created just a couple of years ago that gives the SNES FMV capabilities and CD-quality audio.

Why won’t that game work? Is there yet another SNES chip I haven’t heard of?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why won’t that game work? Is there yet another SNES chip I haven’t heard of?

SPC7110 is currently not supported, plus the English translation patch uses xml files which I think only bsnes/higan supports at this time. It is on Ikari’s to-do list, though.

A few other chips are also not currently supported but most of them are for pachinko and horse racing bullshit games. I think Far East of Eden Zero is the last “big” game currently not working, but I’m sure it’ll be up and running before much longer.

Long story short, sd2snes > snes classic

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I wish Nintendo would bring back the Virtual Console for Switch, I wouldn't like it but I'd pay to play "legal" roms on a handheld. Thought about hacking my 3DS but it seems like not the easiest thing. Even thought about trying to hunt down a Vita. I just want a good handheld emulator with a nice screen.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I’d pay good money for N64 games running on my Switch pefectly in portable mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d rather they just greatly expand the “online” offerings and add SNES games. It would be cooler to get those game without having to spend anything more.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d rather they just greatly expand the “online” offerings and add SNES games. It would be cooler to get those game without having to spend anything more.

Well, that's apparently the plan, though I have no idea when they'll announce it, let alone what NES games are coming in the new year.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

univbee posted:

Apple seems to be the only company with anything approaching the right idea for media "ownership", giving everyone free upgrades on their music as well as now their movies so you can pay $0 instead of $25+ for a 4K movie if you already own it in HD, or like $5-10 if you don't usually.
The sheer number of iOS games I'm no longer able to even re-download, let alone run, after the removal of 32-bit support from the OS disagrees whole-heartedly.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Astro7x posted:

I've spent more time in this thread talking about it than I have playing the thing

New thread title?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

The sheer number of iOS games I'm no longer able to even re-download, let alone run, after the removal of 32-bit support from the OS disagrees whole-heartedly.

Seconding this; If you work with in OS X professionally, the OS upgrades (and the software that has to maintain compatibility with the newest releases) will very often leave your equipment in the dust, at least in terms of audio. Apple is all too happy to go 'Oh, we have a new way of doing stuff under the hood, it's a fundamental change, and therefore, developers will have to do X amount of work to maintain backwards compatibility', where X represents WAY more than how much was required previously. It's like every new OS they release is akin to upgrading from OS 9 to OS X. Everything's different, your poo poo is too old, the OS is free, but everything else is going to cost you, too bad.

As a casual user, whatever, who cares? Steam will still work, your apps will likely be upgraded. My main audio hardware is totally hosed, though, and I'm not the only one.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 14, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That's fair, Apple's approach when it comes to software is very different especially from a business standpoint. Boy was it fun when overnight they went from "Final Cut Pro 7 is the latest and greatest" to "we just released a very broken Final Cut Pro X and have completely stopped all sales and support for the actually working FCP7, RIP expanding editing houses. What do you mean Avid has swooped in to push our poo poo in?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

univbee posted:

That's fair, Apple's approach when it comes to software is very different especially from a business standpoint. Boy was it fun when overnight they went from "Final Cut Pro 7 is the latest and greatest" to "we just released a very broken Final Cut Pro X and have completely stopped all sales and support for the actually working FCP7, RIP expanding editing houses. What do you mean Avid has swooped in to push our poo poo in?"

This right here is what kills me. Oh, you want help with an older version? You want to downgrade because the new version of whatever doesn't work with all of your stuff? Hope you made your own backup, because we have absolutely scrubbed our servers for any trace of what was current yesterday.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

The Kins posted:

Also, if a studio decides to pull a movie off of iTunes, and you don't have the file saved, it's gone. You can't re-download it, and Apple won't credit you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Also, if a studio decides to pull a movie off of iTunes, and you don't have the file saved, it's gone. You can't re-download it, and Apple won't credit you.

Yeah, Steam (and XBL/PSN?) seems to be the best at this, in that you own it, can redownload it, but it just gets delisted from the marketplace.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, Steam (and XBL/PSN?) seems to be the best at this, in that you own it, can redownload it, but it just gets delisted from the marketplace.

XBL and PSN do indeed also let you redownload stuff if it's delisted. GoG does as well, incidentally. P.T. is an outlier because Konami really went out of their way to make sure people couldn't play it. And even then people discovered ways to redownload it for a while after.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Kind of a crazy question, but are there any tiny HDMI monitors to hook my SNES classic up to? And if so, what's a recommended model? Trying to get a similar experience that you get with a PSOne with the LCD screen

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

XBL and PSN do indeed also let you redownload stuff if it's delisted. GoG does as well, incidentally. P.T. is an outlier because Konami really went out of their way to make sure people couldn't play it. And even then people discovered ways to redownload it for a while after.

I like that people sell their ps4 with PT for stupid money on eBay. I'm a Silent Hill fan but sheesh

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Disappointing Pie posted:

I wish Nintendo would bring back the Virtual Console for Switch, I wouldn't like it but I'd pay to play "legal" roms on a handheld. Thought about hacking my 3DS but it seems like not the easiest thing. Even thought about trying to hunt down a Vita. I just want a good handheld emulator with a nice screen.

fwiw hacking your 3ds is actually insanely easy there's just a lot of jargon to pick up because nerds are elitist and love gatekeeping

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i regret not taking full advantage of virtual console when i had the chance

on the other hand i got to replay paper mario, which is all that really mattered

N64 emulation is a drat clownshow

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i regret not taking full advantage of virtual console when i had the chance

on the other hand i got to replay paper mario, which is all that really mattered

Yeah, the VC N64 games that I have on my modded wii will absolutely be staying on there, because I can't see the actual emulation getting any better on that platform. Played through Paper Mario 64 again this year with my wife and 4 year old, and it's probably his favourite game.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Oxxidation posted:

The best thing I did was get an HDMI modded N64 and an everdrive, almost everything works. I've even upgraded all my n64 controllers with gamecube analog sticks. There are only a handful of N64 games I want to actually revisit though, most of my fun with it is just loading up a game I never played and seeing how bad it is.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

wafflemoose posted:

Kind of a crazy question, but are there any tiny HDMI monitors to hook my SNES classic up to? And if so, what's a recommended model? Trying to get a similar experience that you get with a PSOne with the LCD screen

Look up raspberry pi monitors. Hdmi is the default video output so most of the monitors out there take that and get very small. Unfortunately most of them are 4:3 and Nintendo didn't include a fullscreen mode so all your games will be both letterboxed and squished unless you force all the games to use retroarch instead of the built-in emulator

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

VERY COOL MAN posted:

fwiw hacking your 3ds is actually insanely easy there's just a lot of jargon to pick up because nerds are elitist and love gatekeeping

:yeah:, hell I only hacked mine to get the orchestral score back for DQ8 and that alone was worth it :v:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has the PS Classic gotten to the point where hacks and mods have made it worth the money? I mean I have a Pi, but I would like the idea of using original(ish) controllers and not having to futz around to see if a game will work or load correctly.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Has the PS Classic gotten to the point where hacks and mods have made it worth the money? I mean I have a Pi, but I would like the idea of using original(ish) controllers and not having to futz around to see if a game will work or load correctly.

Supposedly the SNES Classic runs PS1 games better than the PS Classic, but yes you can hack it easily. Scroll up for more info.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartoon Man posted:

Supposedly the SNES Classic runs PS1 games better than the PS Classic, but yes you can hack it easily. Scroll up for more info.

Really? What controller would I want to use for that? Also related has the USB extra space mod for the classic had all the bugs and complexity ironed out yet?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guess you would use the 8bitdo if that links up but at that point I don’t know why you’d use a snes classic instead of just buying a pi which will be more powerful anyways(?)? I dunno I had a raspberry pie and hated t so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Really? What controller would I want to use for that? Also related has the USB extra space mod for the classic had all the bugs and complexity ironed out yet?

You could use a Wii Classic controller, or get the 8bitdo adapter and use most Bluetooth controllers.

And the USB mod has been working for me for quite a while, and the CE versions of Hakchi have been modified to support it. They also make a kit where you can solder in a MicroSD slot. I haven't done that one yet because there's theoretically a MicroSD & WiFi version coming at some point.