Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thatfuturekid posted:

Skipped Hover and decided to grab Rain World. And wow, this game is hard as poo poo. I love every second of it though. I keep telling myself to stop buying 2d platformers...but I can’t help it.

Are you seeing the delayed controls I posted about a bit upthread, by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

*Slaughters hundreds of cuddle bears on the way through a nephilim rift*

"War...is like a box of chocolates..." :black101:

Have you gotten the treasure goblin who drops a portal to like Carebear world full of happy rainbows and unicorns and poo poo? I didn't even know that was a thing that could happen so it was so fun to paint it with blood.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Imagined posted:

Have you gotten the treasure goblin who drops a portal to like Carebear world full of happy rainbows and unicorns and poo poo? I didn't even know that was a thing that could happen so it was so fun to paint it with blood.

Actually for me it was just a stage during a nephilim rift. Didn't see any treasure goblins this run

edit: also it was like a regular diablo level, it just had carebears, unicorns, and the rift guardian

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It varies. Most pick up and play games couch coop is fine in online and only uses your one user account, some games with more important user profiles require you to use both accounts which both need online

Does the Switch clearly tell you when you need more than one online sub?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It varies. Most pick up and play games couch coop is fine in online and only uses your one user account, some games with more important user profiles require you to use both accounts which both need online

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, so I've never been huge into Kirby, except for Kirby's Adventure, which despite the almost constant slowdown is one of my favourite NES games of all-time. Is Kirby Star Allies more like that? Because if it is, holy poo poo, I need it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 14, 2018

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, so I've never been huge into Kirby, except for Kirby's Adventure, which despite the almost constant slowdown is one of my favourite NES games of all-time. Is Kirby Star Allies more like that? Because if it is, holy poo poo, I need it.

what have you not liked about other kirbys?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can someone give me the rundown on what I need to know about Switch online + the digital nes games? I’m planning on subbing finally so I can play Splatoon 2 again and maybe try Smash online. Are the NES games like Netflix access or do you have to claim them monthly like PS+?

e: should I buy an nes classic while they’re still available?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can someone give me the rundown on what I need to know about Switch online + the digital nes games? I’m planning on subbing finally so I can play Splatoon 2 again and maybe try Smash online. Are the NES games like Netflix access or do you have to claim them monthly like PS+?

It's its own app on your home screen. You load it like a game and it has a big list of games that launch out of it, and it updates once a month to include the new games. So more Netflix than PS+.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Looper posted:

what have you not liked about other kirbys?

Ha, nice avatar.

I guess... I don't know, I played the Gameboy one, like the first one, and thought it was ok. I never had a SNES, so I only played bits and pieces of the SNES games, and barely any Dream Course. I played Kirby 64 Crystal Shards a bunch, but didn't really enjoy it that much. It felt kind of janky or floaty, even for Kirby standards, and thought that if I'm going to play a platformer like this, I'd rather play Mario. I did, however, appreciate the powers, and how easy it was to mix them, but I also appreciated the difficulty and rarity of mixing powers in Kirby's Adventure.

I haven't played a lot of Epic Yarn, it seems ok, but it doesn't really grab me. I don't know if any of this answered your question, but I actually can't quite put my finger on why I haven't really enjoyed a Kirby game outside of Adventure. I can tell you what I love about Adventure, though:

- The level variety. I loved how each world was slowly unlocked, every world had a theme, kind of like SMB3, and that you could revisit anything you wanted, and it was like every stage had a little something different.
- Mini games. They were a nice diversion, as were the arena fights and I love being able to go to the museum to get a freebie power.
- The Secrets. A lot of the times, the doors staying orange, and the overworld not being completely cleared out let you know to dig deeper in a level. And even still, I only found the secret UFO in the first or second level of the game this past year! :holyfuck:
- The music (and sound design in general). That entire soundtrack was wonderfully memorable. Catchy as hell, and sounded great despite being limited by NES hardware
- The length. Goddamn, that game took a long time, and I really appreciated that. I don't find that it overstayed its welcome, and I remember having a great time going for the 100% clear file.

Anyway, if Kirby Star Allies ticks those boxes, that's great. Was one of the SNES Kirby games a remake of KA? If so, I'll give that a try sometime.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 14, 2018

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Here you go, my Ask/Tell about my job when I was there, though I don't know if you need Archives to read it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375096&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Edit: wow, forgot the drat link.

Neato! Thanks

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry for the question that I know has been asked a billion times, but running last minute and google keeps talking about portable battery packs.

Wanna take my switch away for a week or so, but don’t want to drag the dock too. I have a pro controller so have a USB A to C cable, and I’ll have my iPhone charger. Is this enough? I’ll have access to an iPad Pro charger too if that makes a difference.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sorry for the question that I know has been asked a billion times, but running last minute and google keeps talking about portable battery packs.

Wanna take my switch away for a week or so, but dont want to drag the dock too. I have a pro controller so have a USB A to C cable, and Ill have my iPhone charger. Is this enough? Ill have access to an iPad Pro charger too if that makes a difference.

It should be, the iphone one may be a bit slower though. I charge my switch all the time with a macbook charger and it works fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Perfect. Length of time not really a huge deal just don’t want to take it for a few hours of gaming then not be able to use it again. Sadly my MacBook is ancient and way older than USB C chargers. Thanks!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ha, nice avatar.

I guess... I don't know, I played the Gameboy one, like the first one, and thought it was ok. I never had a SNES, so I only played bits and pieces of the SNES games, and barely any Dream Course. I played Kirby 64 Crystal Shards a bunch, but didn't really enjoy it that much. It felt kind of janky or floaty, even for Kirby standards, and thought that if I'm going to play a platformer like this, I'd rather play Mario. I did, however, appreciate the powers, and how easy it was to mix them, but I also appreciated the difficulty and rarity of mixing powers in Kirby's Adventure.

I haven't played a lot of Epic Yarn, it seems ok, but it doesn't really grab me. I don't know if any of this answered your question, but I actually can't quite put my finger on why I haven't really enjoyed a Kirby game outside of Adventure. I can tell you what I love about Adventure, though:

- The level variety. I loved how each world was slowly unlocked, every world had a theme, kind of like SMB3, and that you could revisit anything you wanted, and it was like every stage had a little something different.
- Mini games. They were a nice diversion, as were the arena fights and I love being able to go to the museum to get a freebie power.
- The Secrets. A lot of the times, the doors staying orange, and the overworld not being completely cleared out let you know to dig deeper in a level. And even still, I only found the secret UFO in the first or second level of the game this past year! :holyfuck:
- The music (and sound design in general). That entire soundtrack was wonderfully memorable. Catchy as hell, and sounded great despite being limited by NES hardware
- The length. Goddamn, that game took a long time, and I really appreciated that. I don't find that it overstayed its welcome, and I remember having a great time going for the 100% clear file.

Anyway, if Kirby Star Allies ticks those boxes, that's great. Was one of the SNES Kirby games a remake of KA? If so, I'll give that a try sometime.

Play any of the 3ds ones, star allies, Amazing Mirror, or Squeak Squad. Above all, though, Kirby Super Star dominates, prioritize that. There was a port on the DS if you'd rather have it handheld.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Imagined posted:

THE loving MOON posted:

Actually for me it was just a stage during a nephilim rift. Didn't see any treasure goblins this run

edit: also it was like a regular diablo level, it just had carebears, unicorns, and the rift guardian

There's also a way to create a permanent portal to that world. There are steps here: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Whimsyshire. Back in the day, it used to be a tedious fetch quest that you had to do once per difficulty. Looks like it's a simpler matter these days.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Neato! Thanks

You're very welcome. I'm kind of re-reading it now, and while I miss that job terribly, I still do freelance music and sound design for other slot companies here and there. :toot:

EDIT: poo poo, the tindeck links don't work anymore. PM me if you're interested in hearing stuff.

Not a Children posted:

Play any of the 3ds ones, star allies, Amazing Mirror, or Squeak Squad. Above all, though, Kirby Super Star dominates, prioritize that. There was a port on the DS if you'd rather have it handheld.

I will play Kirby Super Star before the year is out, thanks! I have a modded Wii, so now I know what I must do.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 14, 2018

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Volte posted:

There's also a way to create a permanent portal to that world. There are steps here: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Whimsyshire. Back in the day, it used to be a tedious fetch quest that you had to do once per difficulty. Looks like it's a simpler matter these days.

Actually this is technically a separate area. Whimsyshire can be portalled to, as in the above link.

Whimsydale is where Rainbow Portals take you to, and is where the rare spawn that drops the Cosmic Wings resides.

Yes, it's kind of dumb.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Any more rain world impressions? want to buy it, but i want to know more about the input delay complaint.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

track day bro! posted:

I ordered the Asian version of Katamari because I wanted a physical copy and now I have to wait for like ages. The Nintendpo Switch Is Doomed

Gamestop in the US also has physical copies.

Incredibly suspiciously, when I went in for one it both wasn't their "last" copy and was also shrink-wrapped.

I can't remember the last time that's happened.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are the NES games like Netflix access or do you have to claim them monthly like PS+?
Right now the way it works is that the NES games are part of the NES - Nintendo Switch Online app. So every month when they release new games, there's an software update available for that app that includes the new games. The app itself works online or offline, but once a week it will check online when you open the app to see if you still have an online subscription.

Long term if Nintendo starts including SNES games they may change how that system works, since storing a copy of all games on everyone's Switch will eat up space. NES games are so small though that they can do it this way for a while and nobody will notice.

Kilometers Davis posted:

e: should I buy an nes classic while they’re still available?
Do you like the games that come with the NES Classic? It's a nice unit, and a neat little thing to have around for when people "want to play old games." At some point the NES online will probably eclipse what comes on the NES Classic, but they're not exactly the same experience.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have zero doubt that they'll add SNES games to the system, but what about those classic NES controllers they sell? They couldn't add two more face buttons on there, to make them compatible with future SNES games?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Heath posted:

Kero Blaster is on sale for 7 bucks so I picked it up. This is the chillest little shooter. I also got a game called The Next Penelope that seems to be a combination between the a shoot em up and a top down racer. It seems cute.

Kero blaster is indeed chill and has great music.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I gifted myself Fast RMX, and 20XX because of the sale price and I heard it was good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

You're very welcome. I'm kind of re-reading it now, and while I miss that job terribly, I still do freelance music and sound design for other slot companies here and there. :toot:

EDIT: poo poo, the tindeck links don't work anymore. PM me if you're interested in hearing stuff.

I will play Kirby Super Star before the year is out, thanks! I have a modded Wii, so now I know what I must do.

yeah Kirby 64 and Epic Yarn are fun games but i don't think they're a great litmus test for enjoying modern Kirby the way Super Star would be. I'm still craving some kind of follow up to the great cave offensive

most Kirby games do have mini games of some kind, they're just on the main menu. also, nightmare in dreamland on the gba is a remake of adventure. it doesn't look as nice graphically imo but it plays better

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Apologies if this has been asked but I didn't see anything recently. Just picked up Diablo 3 and am absolutely loving it in console mode so far. But I am not sure how couch co-op would exactly work with my wife. My account is linked to my switch, but my wife also has a Nintendo account. Is it possible for her to create her own character on my Switch that is linked to her account?

I want us to each have our own characters that we can play on our own when the other isn't playing, but also be able to use those characters for couch co-op. What is the best way to do this? My thinking was that I would have to use my switch console and then my wife would need to join and link her Nintendo account? This seems more complicated than it should be, but that is probably my fault.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Just have her create a character under her profile? And then she can play those characters on her own or with you? Multiple Nintendo accounts can play couch co-op together on the same system.

The only problem we've run into is that I have Nintendo online but my wife doesn't, so if we're playing couch co-op she has to launch the game under her profile and then let me join. If we do it the other way around it just prompts her to get Nintendo Online.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Imagined posted:

Just have her create a character under her profile? And then she can play those characters on her own or with you? Multiple Nintendo accounts can play couch co-op together on the same system.

The only problem we've run into is that I have Nintendo online but my wife doesn't, so if we're playing couch co-op she has to launch the game under her profile and then let me join. If we do it the other way around it just prompts her to get Nintendo Online.

OK, neither of us have Online so that should work perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What's the cheapest the Switch has gotten down to deal wise? Didn't some people get some for $150 a few months ago?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Suda51 said he's looking into porting No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2 to the Switch, and if Travis Strikes Again is successful enough for them to make No More Heroes 3, he wants to do an Amiibo of Travis saving the game.

So everybody needs to buy Travis Strikes Again

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Imagined posted:

Actually, have a quick question about this. My wife has her own Switch, but we only have one Diablo 3 game. She wouldn't be able to play our copy of D3 on her switch and be able to use that character again when we co-op on my switch, correct? I guess I am asking if a character is saved to a profile on the Switch, or if it is saved to an account that can be accessed from any switch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

89 posted:

What's the cheapest the Switch has gotten down to deal wise? Didn't some people get some for $150 a few months ago?

Some, but it was some kind of loss-leader super promotion. Regular normal deals, the best thing is just getting a pack-in game or two

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gripweed posted:

Suda51 said he's looking into porting No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2 to the Switch, and if Travis Strikes Again is successful enough for them to make No More Heroes 3, he wants to do an Amiibo of Travis saving the game.

So everybody needs to buy Travis Strikes Again

I mean, I've got student loan payments and poo poo, but this does seem more important

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

MrSargent posted:

Actually, have a quick question about this. My wife has her own Switch, but we only have one Diablo 3 game. She wouldn't be able to play our copy of D3 on her switch and be able to use that character again when we co-op on my switch, correct? I guess I am asking if a character is saved to a profile on the Switch, or if it is saved to an account that can be accessed from any switch.

If the account is Online then the characters get backed up into the Nintendo cloud and can be moved between systems. I'd tell most people to make a switch profile for anyone who wants to play coop in Diablo given how it works.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rain World port report part 2: controls are still delayed despite troubleshooting and the game just outright crashed a moment ago, like the switch straight up sent me back to Home with an error message

What a poo poo port!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Waffle! posted:

I gifted myself Fast RMX, and 20XX because of the sale price and I heard it was good.

Been thinking about getting Fast RMX, cuz it's as close as we'll prob ever get to F-Zero on the switch. While single player is fun, I really wanna future race online, how's the online population these days?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

dog nougat posted:

Been thinking about getting Fast RMX, cuz it's as close as we'll prob ever get to F-Zero on the switch. While single player is fun, I really wanna future race online, how's the online population these days?

The game's been out for a while now. I tried hosting a game and only one player joined. Not totally dead?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Waffle! posted:

The game's been out for a while now. I tried hosting a game and only one player joined. Not totally dead?

Mostly dead.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Are you seeing the delayed controls I posted about a bit upthread, by chance?

Been playing undocked, and didn’t notice anything too bad to be honest!

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

bushisms.txt posted:

Any more rain world impressions? want to buy it, but i want to know more about the input delay complaint.

No issues on my end. Really love it so far, but its reputation about being super hard is not exaggerated. It actually reminds me of the original Metroid, not knowing where to go and getting straight up murdered but things way more powerful than you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

thatfuturekid posted:

No issues on my end. Really love it so far, but its reputation about being super hard is not exaggerated. It actually reminds me of the original Metroid, not knowing where to go and getting straight up murdered but things way more powerful than you
Yeah it looks like a simulator more than a straight game.

Ciaphas posted:

Rain World port report part 2: controls are still delayed despite troubleshooting and the game just outright crashed a moment ago, like the switch straight up sent me back to Home with an error message

What a poo poo port!

Hmmm.... Have you hard restarted the system since you got the game? Some games have weird first launch issues like that.