Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Do you plan on having children? If so cut the life expectancy of your furniture by 75%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Children are the worst that way. Even my 19 year old is death incarnate to upholstery. Hence my choice to buy ikea rather than the couch I really liked :sigh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Furniture, like clothes, go out of style. Don’t buy cheap, but don’t buy expensive, because you’ll want to change it all in five years or so.

Your kids won’t want your kitchen table, no matter how grammable it was.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

FrozenVent posted:

Furniture, like clothes, go out of style. Don’t buy cheap, but don’t buy expensive, because you’ll want to change it all in five years or so.

Your kids won’t want your kitchen table, no matter how grammable it was.

My parents remodeled and replaced their kitchen table. They offered their old granite-topped one to me, which was a HUGE upgrade over my lovely, cheap classrooms Craigslist starter table. Jumped on that, and I don't even have an Instagram account. 😱

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The only relevant style change for furniture, as far as I care, is that I now have to buy with the expectation that I'll be moving it to a new apartment once every year or two.

I'd love a giant granite-topped table. I just can't take it with me across the country every time I hop jobs. :(

quote:

because you’ll want to change it all in five years or so.

The BWM is coming from inside the thread! :tviv:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 26, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sundae posted:

The BWM is coming from inside the thread! :tviv:

Yeah, my couch is 12 years old and looks great. My GF sleeps on it all the time when I am out of town instead of our bed. It has the style that I would describe as very functional brown couch.

My mattress is 10 years old and I am thinking it is time to replace though. I am not sure if my worse sleep is it, my GF, or what but I sleep great on nice hotel mattresses. I assume online mattresses are good (casper, etc.).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Robinhood is launching a new banking service, with a 3% APY interest-bearing checking and savings account. I've gotta wait for my Ally bonus money in January before I can potentially take advantage of this, but I did sign up for the wait list. Here is my referral link: https://share.robinhood.com/cs-VwhkhmVuDvLguCVuriQaLa (or here if you'd prefer a non-referral link)

This actually looks like a terrible idea, don't sign up for this service. See more here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-14/sipc-says-it-has-serious-concerns-about-robinhood-s-new-product

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 14, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sirotan posted:

Robinhood is launching a new banking service, with a 3% APY interest-bearing checking and savings account. I've gotta wait for my Ally bonus money in January before I can potentially take advantage of this, but I did sign up for the wait list. Here is my referral link: https://share.robinhood.com/cs-VwhkhmVuDvLguCVuriQaLa (or here if you'd prefer a non-referral link)
FDIC insured? I'm tempted.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

FDIC insured? I'm tempted.

Apparently no but it will be SIPC insured. Found more info on this: https://www.investopedia.com/investing/is-robinhood-safe/

I added myself to the wait list, not sure I'll actually pull the trigger when it's available. Their app had a major outage yesterday and there are a ton of pissed off users in r/robinhood right now which doesn't bode well for me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
No FDIC, no dice. Please don't put your rent and savings into that account. Let the market shake out for a few months and see what happens.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah if you're not willing to keep your e-fund in a brokerage account invested in a money market fund, this is no different.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-14/sipc-says-it-has-serious-concerns-about-robinhood-s-new-product

quote:

SIPC Says It Has Serious Concerns About Robinhood's New Product

The Securities Investor Protection Corp. said a new checking account from Robinhood Financial LLC raises red flags and that the deposited funds may not be eligible for protection.

Robinhood, a no-fee stock trading app, rolled out its take on the traditional bank account Thursday, promising a 3 percent interest rate on deposits. The Checking & Savings service will be run through the firm’s brokerage arm rather than a bank, which would be insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Robinhood said the service will be insured by the SIPC.

“I disagree with the statement that these funds are protected by SIPC,” Stephen Harbeck, president and chief executive officer of SIPC, said in an interview Friday. “Had they called us, I would have told them what I just told you in that I have serious concerns about this. This has gigantic ramifications for the banking industry.”

Welp!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, my couch is 12 years old and looks great. My GF sleeps on it all the time when I am out of town instead of our bed. It has the style that I would describe as very functional brown couch.

My mattress is 10 years old and I am thinking it is time to replace though. I am not sure if my worse sleep is it, my GF, or what but I sleep great on nice hotel mattresses. I assume online mattresses are good (casper, etc.).

I used Sleep like the dead's guides to help me determine what I think I'd like. I ended up buying a memory foam mattress from amazon because it was stupid-cheap and it scored objectively very well on sleep like the dead. I really like it. It's holding up better than our previous inner-spring mattresses with pillow tops and it was like 1/4 the price. We ended up buying the same mattresses for our kids, too.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I did my first ever client financial review meeting today!! Of course, I was really just sitting in while the CFP talked, but I ran the planning software models and nodded at appropriate times and I was wearing my fancy earrings so basically I felt like a real deal financial advisor, it was way cool. And we got them to ditch their lovely funds and go to vanguard, woo!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got my bonus yesterday so I threw like two thirds of it straight at my student loan and used the rest to fill out some rainy day funds in my savings and also bought a new radio for my car. The loan will be down to $7169 (nice) once that clears.

I was also given a $50 amex gift card last night when i walked into the holiday party so i'm gonna spend that poo poo on something really dumb and not give a poo poo yolo.

Also got vanguard scheduled to dump six grand right into my roth ira on jan 2. Productive morning for this guy :ocelot::v:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

God, I got to stop recommending stuff to my family.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Also got vanguard scheduled to dump six grand right into my roth ira on jan 2. Productive morning for this guy :ocelot::v:

Wait, how do you do that? I thought if I select Buy for a Roth IRA it will only give me the prob for this plan year (and the penis if it's still before tax day). I should look again.

It'd be nice if I could also pre-schedule an increase in my 401(k) contributions at Schwab too, but I think I need to wait until my last paycheck comes in for this year before trying to up it for next year, if it'll even let me go with the increased max before Jan 1.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SpelledBackwards posted:

Wait, how do you do that? I thought if I select Buy for a Roth IRA it will only give me the prob for this plan year (and the penis if it's still before tax day). I should look again.

It'd be nice if I could also pre-schedule an increase in my 401(k) contributions at Schwab too, but I think I need to wait until my last paycheck comes in for this year before trying to up it for next year, if it'll even let me go with the increased max before Jan 1.

automatic investments are under account maintenance (link is in the footer after logging in) on the right side of the page.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Now that Navient has moved ahead with their purchase of Earnest, they neutered the iOS app, I can’t log in to their website, and I get to deal with their lovely customer service yet again!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

howdoesishotweb posted:

Now that Navient has moved ahead with their purchase of Earnest, they neutered the iOS app, I can’t log in to their website, and I get to deal with their lovely customer service yet again!

I think what pisses me off the most is we have no choice and the government just completely ignores the public's complete poo poo experience and the tactics they use to gently caress people.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

automatic investments are under account maintenance (link is in the footer after logging in) on the right side of the page.

Excellent, thanks! Set mine up just now with Vanguard.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

howdoesishotweb posted:

god i am so glad my remaining federal loan is serviced by great lakes and not navient.

i had a couple loans with sallie mae back before they changed the name and when I was finally aggressively paying down the debt i got a consolidation loan and sallie mae was the absolute worst to deal with and i was glad to be rid of them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

god i am so glad my remaining federal loan is serviced by great lakes and not navient.

i had a couple loans with sallie mae back before they changed the name and when I was finally aggressively paying down the debt i got a consolidation loan and sallie mae was the absolute worst to deal with and i was glad to be rid of them.

SAME

I had a single sallie mae loan but it was tiny and fixed rate and is paid off by now thank god

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I want to open a taxable account to save more than I am allowed to put into my 401k/IRA, but I don't want to manage it too actively - just buy up to 5 index funds and check in on them once a year or so. Since I already have my IRA with Vanguard and since I am happy with them, I can just open a taxable account with them, right? Or do other places offer any advantages over Vanguard?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Vanguard is fine

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mine is at vanguard. I would just do that.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

:same:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

spwrozek posted:

Listen to golden dollar sign man

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

moana posted:

Listen to golden dollar sign man

A man who can afford a golden dollar sign avatar cannot be wrong.

Seriously though: Thanks for confirming.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Speaking of Vanguard, today I got an email from them and learned their CEO is named Tim Buckley.

So, if when you experience a loss... well, it won't be the first time?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I just found out my work added roll in to our 401k. Going to push my roll over IRA into there which will allow me to back door Roth IRA. I will be over the limit so hopefully everything gets processed by the end of the year. Pretty excited.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I'm getting balance billed for a bunch of physical therapy I've been going to and I'm loving annoyed as poo poo.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Wife got a new job. A 30% raise, better benefits and a career path pointing straight to Head of Marketing. For me this means full time parental leave two months earlier than expected. Woo!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Trabant posted:

Speaking of Vanguard, today I got an email from them and learned their CEO is named Tim Buckley.

So, if when you experience a loss... well, it won't be the first time?

Write downs are often harder on the CFP.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Need a quick reality check:

In the midst of the government shutdown, USAA (my bank) is offering certain individuals the opportunity to take out a one-year loan at .01% interest as long as monthly payments are setup through them.

As long as I ensure there is money in the account to make the monthly payments and get the loan paid off in one year, is there any reason I shouldn't take a loan out for $10k, throw it in my Ally savings account, and reap the profit of 1.99% in interest over a year on 10k? There is no cap on how much I can take the loan out for, just a minimum amount of $2500.

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 27, 2018

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I would take as much money as I could possibly get my hands on at 0.01% interest if a bank was doing it as a good will gesture, you could do all kinds of things with it including refinance other interest-bearing debt

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nwin posted:

Need a quick reality check:

In the midst of the government shutdown, USAA (my bank) is offering certain individuals the opportunity to take out a one-year loan at .01% interest as long as monthly payments are setup through them.

As long as I ensure there is money in the account to make the monthly payments and get the loan paid off in one year, is there any reason I shouldn't take a loan out for $10k, throw it in my Ally savings account, and reap the profit of 1.99% in interest over a year on 10k? There is no cap on how much I can take the loan out for, just a minimum amount of $2500.

Did you get a targeted offer for this? I’m a USAA member as well, but I’d definitely do this if I have the opportunity.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cacafuego posted:

Did you get a targeted offer for this? I’m a USAA member as well, but I’d definitely do this if I have the opportunity.

Yeah, I'm in one of the affected organizations that won't be getting paid on the 1st. I don't have any debt to refinance but I'll definitely take advantage of throwing it in Ally or something like that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nwin posted:

Yeah, I'm in one of the affected organizations that won't be getting paid on the 1st. I don't have any debt to refinance but I'll definitely take advantage of throwing it in Ally or something like that.

Gotcha. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I have been cooking for my family through the holidays. Saved a bunch thanks to good ole Costco.

The only eating out I’ve done is the oral sex I provide my wonderful significant other. I love her very much :3: