Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol mr. crane could you imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't very well discuss it with Dr. Crane. He's so close to Dr. Crane. If I told him, he might tell Dr. Crane and then Dr. Crane might feel embarrassed.

One of my favorite lines of the series.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

85% of Daphne's jokes are told while she's walking away since her can is more entertaining.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

spog posted:

She was a shite therapist: Martin's limp never improved.

Eh, who knows how bad his mobility would be without regular physical therapy?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

spog posted:

She was a shite therapist: Martin's limp never improved.

It did but then Daphne tripped him down the stairs to keep her cushy job of housekeeping at an accredited physical therapist salary

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Does this show get better again after season 8? I've been watching it on netflix and I think this about when I stopped watching when it was airing. I really don't like the focus on Niles and Daphne.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Does this show get better again after season 8? I've been watching it on netflix and I think this about when I stopped watching when it was airing. I really don't like the focus on Niles and Daphne.

9 & 10 are very hit or miss, but 11 is pretty good. They knew they were ending so they kind of got their act together.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

85% of Daphne's jokes are told while she's walking away since her can is more entertaining.

They both usually fell flat.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Sir Lemming posted:

9 & 10 are very hit or miss, but 11 is pretty good. They knew they were ending so they kind of got their act together.

Thanks I guess I'll stick it out. This show is even funnier than I remember it being though, at least the earlier seasons. I'm convinced people who don't like it just don't get it. Yeah, it's about two snobs, but they're usually made asses of or get their comeuppance, etc. I think after this I'll put cheers on, I've seen a lot of episodes of that but never really watched it when it was on.

e:Maybe that's why I don't like Daphne and Niles, other than the lack of chemistry when they're a couple that has been pointed out. One of the Cranes actually got what they wanted.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 14, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Daphne really didn't have enough of a character to sustain A-plots, so they kind of just threw the Default American Sitcom Woman character at her. Vaguely snarky, can't cook too well, inconveniences her man by wanting things he doesn't want, etc. It didn't work. They probably would've been better off sticking to their strengths and keeping her as a secondary character, but I guess that would've been unfair. At the time, though, the chances of her becoming a really well-written character were pretty slim.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She should have had even more crazy relatives come live with them. Maybe one of her brothers could have been a trapeze artist and a long lost uncle could have invented a time machine that sent Frasier and Niles back in time where they accidentally influence a young Freud into pursuing psychiatry.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Daphne was more about having another normal person for Martin to hang with and have normal concerns with.

Also one thing I don’t understand is why Martin seems destitute without his children. He was a cop in a major city for like 30+ years. His pension, especially in the 90’s, should be insane.

Like I had a close friend in Philly and his dad’s pension was like a massive payout every month until he died and then his kids get a massive payout every month until they turn 30 or something, it’s completely insane.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Daphne was more about having another normal person for Martin to hang with and have normal concerns with.

Also one thing I don’t understand is why Martin seems destitute without his children. He was a cop in a major city for like 30+ years. His pension, especially in the 90’s, should be insane.

Like I had a close friend in Philly and his dad’s pension was like a massive payout every month until he died and then his kids get a massive payout every month until they turn 30 or something, it’s completely insane.

I don't think his apartment in that flashback was meant to convey him being destitute, just him having simple tastes, choosing to live modestly and also being a slob

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
To contrast Frasier's diametric opposite living arrangements

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
He's a regular Joe and he likes his joe Regular

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
He also has all that money hidden from the undercover drug deal gone wrong.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"Crane Boys" is in the pilot.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

drat though most pilots are loving awful but the Frasier pilot is actually pretty good.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

merry christmas frasier

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For some reason I keep drawing a comparison between Niles Crane and Julian Bashir.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think the Carlos and the chicken episode is one of the 5 in the series

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

merry christmas frasier

That's the loving poo poo, give me that season 1 hair.

I remember someone quipping it's the worst haircut ever allowed on TV, whether they ever heard of Felicity is up for debate though.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty standard opera-goer hair.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Calaveron posted:

I don't think his apartment in that flashback was meant to convey him being destitute, just him having simple tastes, choosing to live modestly and also being a slob

I agree. Also Martin bought that RV new, right? That's a pretty dang big chunk of change.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I agree. Also Martin bought that RV new, right? That's a pretty dang big chunk of change.

The boys bought that out of pocket and had to tell Martin they used the proceeds from the Russian bear clock

I think it was used though

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Perfect for huntin’, fishin’, or just plain tubin’!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh, did you hear that Frasier? We can go tubing!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Tubin'

Get it right

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/mcnallyjackson/status/1074777690346045441

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/sindivanzyl/status/1076051847104876546/photo/1

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Well, guess I'm watching the Dog-Maris episode tonight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Niles is definitely not cut out to be a pet owner.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's astounding how even late season 'bad' frasier still shits all over most other sitcoms

niles' Cam Winston accent in the L'Port Argent spa episode is hilarious and that's like late season 10

the overwrought 'oh no niles had a heart attack' episode is really bad when they're in the hospital, but even the episode leading to it is pretty great.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Niles is a really sad and pathetic character. Watching the episode where he makes up rumors about a guy so daphne won’t date him makes him seem really sad and pathetic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

More like "oldcraneless."

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

oldpainless posted:

Niles is a really sad and pathetic character.

He was, even after he got Daphne he was.

Like how he never saw her weight gain and refused to see her as a real person, only as the fantasy he built up in his mind.

Come to think of it they never had much meaningful interaction prior to her finding out his secret obsession.

He was the gooniest character when you think of it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I realize it took like 7 seasons for them to get together, but even with that the Daphne/Niles pairing felt rushed. She falls in love with him almost immediately after hearing he had a crush on her. It's weird.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
fraiser had some problematic attitudes towards women but as a white man i can view such things as harmless eccentricities because life is as a game to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
He is a creep but it's tiresome to relitigate it after we've already established it- I'm looking at you, Cuphead av guy

It's like how in Seinfeld these are actually really lovely people and it's played for laughs. It's very "problematic" comedy especially with today's awareness vs. 20 years ago when more offensive jokes were made on a gender or orientation basis (see: Friends)

The whole premise is ironic; this is a psychiatrist who can't solve his own self-induced mental neurotic dilemmas.

But you can't argue with the laffs! :newlol:

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 15, 2019