Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, i have a $50 bike i commute with. i always lock it, but i'm under no illusion a lock will stop a motivated fucker who wants it, also it's a $50 loss. it's 100% a loss too, nobody here cares if your bike gets stolen. stolen car? yeah police will do the stuff they need to do. stolen bike? "well, sir, you see it's really hard with bikes, they're never found" and proceeds to do nothing. probably shreds the report as soon as you're out of sight lmao.

used to be able to buy your stolen bike back for $10-20 if you hurried to the local pharmacy that was handing out methadone, but people mostly cleaned their poo poo up so that doesn't happen anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the code-lock doorknobs made by normal lock manufacturers are pretty nice if you have a habit of forgetting to set the lock or of worrying that you didn't set the lock. same goes for the coded deadbolts which usually have an auto-throw feature.

locks with WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity though are just the dumbest goddamn thing.

also yeah let your landlord know via email or their maintenance system that the door doesn't lock right, and keep a copy of that. they will probably fix it extremely quickly because if someone steals your poo poo because the door didn't close right they'll be on the hook.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

iospace posted:

Protip: people looking to break into your house are either going to exploit the deadbolt not sitting right or break in through the window. Getting a smart lock isn't going to fix the deadbolt not sitting right magically. If you're in an apartment, then it's on the landlord to fix it, not you.

my last place had a keycode deadbolt and i really miss the convenience

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LmdUz3rOQU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
probe yourself for posting anime plx

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shifty Pony posted:

Nextdoor got mentioned earlier which reminded me to ask : why the is Nextdoor so uniformly awful?

no matter where it is, it seems to be always full of racist busybodies.

because it’s NIMBY the app

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
a million people shouting "casing" at strangers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mystes posted:

The only good thing is that it's a database of specific people rather than ai predicting that all minorities are criminals.

that's assuming it can even pick up people with dark skin

bike tory posted:

Apple got their watch to market and sold a poo poo ton of them before news made it back to them that the heart rate monitor didn't work properly on people with dark skin. The worst part is that it was white people with tattoos who broke this news to them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's assuming it can even pick up people with dark skin

surprised that apple would forget about dre during watch development

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
one weird trick

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1073560738118156289

bosses hate this!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

:hmmyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i told one of my coworkers that i hadn't replied to her immediately on sunday because i wasn't replying to work emails on the weekends, and she hit the roof and angrily told me about my extreme privilege for a good three or four minutes and how her husband would never be allowed to do that. (of course she couldn't use herself as an example as we both worked for the same people)

on the one hand yeah a lot of americans would be instantly fired for that

on the other hand get hosed, no one should have to allow their workplace to inject itself into their time off, and donating your life to your boss out of guilt just lets them keep getting away with it

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 14, 2018

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I mean, you're working 5/7 days of the week anyway. Having 2 straight days of no work could throw things off balance.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

start your day with a four loko power hour :getin:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

iospace posted:

Protip: people looking to break into your house are either going to exploit the deadbolt not sitting right or break in through the window. Getting a smart lock isn't going to fix the deadbolt not sitting right magically. If you're in an apartment, then it's on the landlord to fix it, not you.

:wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36VDnModdJc

they will see your camera doorbell and then your scrawny rear end can taunt them from the safety of the local gym

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
reason #42069 why you should never ever allow any sort of internet-connected monitoring device into your house, apartment, or unheated canadian anime hobo shack

https://twitter.com/hypervisible/status/1073649771905204224

this cyberpunk dystopia sucks

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

reason #42069 why you should never ever allow any sort of internet-connected monitoring device into your house, apartment, or unheated canadian anime hobo shack

https://twitter.com/hypervisible/status/1073649771905204224

this cyberpunk dystopia sucks
I think if people actually try to sell devices that do this it will kill smart speakers pretty quickly. Amazon and google may not care a lot about privacy but they probably at least realize that being this blatant would be bad for their image.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mystes posted:

I think if people actually try to sell devices that do this it will kill smart speakers pretty quickly. Amazon and google may not care a lot about privacy but they probably at least realize that being this blatant would be bad for their image.

it doesn't matter

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
where's the payout

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mystes posted:

Let me tell you about frogs in a pot

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
the main naughtiliss is at 100%, much like the cache version, or so it said

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

jeffery posted:

where's the payout

if it means google gets pennies from insurance companies they'll do it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Let me tell you about frogs in a pot

frogs jump out

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

i think if (tech bubble company) does (outrageous thing) it will kill (tech bubble company) pretty quickly - an evergreen prediction that has been proven absolutely true hundreds of times in the last decade.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Your submitted research paper, "Humans Determined To Be Dumber Than Frogs" has been rejected due to obviousness.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mystes posted:

you won't care

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

it doesn't matter

this

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
"it would be bad for their image!," the poster said, as amazon has a 96% approval rating among liberals while ICE continues to set up their software gulags in AWS

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are there any stats released on what people use those speakers for, like i bet a solid 80% of it is just hey alexa play that latest episode of [game of thrones|the good place|great british bakeoff]

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
yes 80% of Americans are famous for staring at speakers instead of televisions

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

graph posted:

"it would be bad for their image!," the poster said, as amazon has a 96% approval rating among liberals

it does?

I’ve literally never met someone with liberal leaning politics that likes amazon, so I’ll be pretty surprised if they do have a popular opinion among them

mystes
May 31, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you won't care
I don't have smart speakers, so admittedly I may not be representative, but I seriously think that Alexa saying "it sounds like you're sick" will be be crossing a line for most people.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Jonny 290 posted:

are there any stats released on what people use those speakers for, like i bet a solid 80% of it is just hey alexa play that latest episode of [game of thrones|the good place|great british bakeoff]

if you’re going to assert that most users are using a family of products that have no visual output to watch tv shows, I’d like to point out that bird box is in fact coming to netflix

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
this is a phenomenon that contributed to the death of kinect fwiw so sometimes it does happen

also people hate stuff that makes sound without being commanded to

also the frog boiling thing is a myth

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

El_Elegante posted:

if you’re going to assert that most users are using a family of products that have no visual output to watch tv shows, I’d like to point out that bird box is in fact coming to netflix

alexa/google home actually does have the ability to play something on your tv

so yeah, people probably are telling it to play game of thrones or whatever and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that was one of the most common use cases

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
alexa play despacito

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

mystes posted:

I don't have smart speakers, so admittedly I may not be representative, but I seriously think that Alexa saying "it sounds like you're sick" will be be crossing a line for most people.

lol if you think they won't just hear that and order some dayquil

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

My Linux Rig posted:

it does?

I’ve literally never met someone with liberal leaning politics that likes amazon, so I’ll be pretty surprised if they do have a popular opinion among them

He's quoting a survey that asked people if they "trusted" or "approved" a vast array of companies and political groups, without having people qualify what they trusted it for.

Most people answering were probably just going all "yeah they ship me my things when they say"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

fishmech posted:

He's quoting a survey that asked people if they "trusted" or "approved" a vast array of companies and political groups, without having people qualify what they trusted it for.

Most people answering were probably just going all "yeah they ship me my things when they say"

oh cool so it's pretty much like that "millennials love avocado toast" myths that fox news grandpas seem to love, where it's only true if your survey is vague enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fishmech posted:

then most people are dumbasses

yea im an elitist who answers phone surveys with "ugh" and "bah"