Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

docbeard posted:

If you know someone doesn't enjoy a particular kind of food and you insist on eating somewhere where that's all that's available because "gently caress picky eaters" then you're the one being an rear end in a top hat.

If they haven't adequately communicated their wishes or are just interested in whining and being a martyr, then they're the ones being an rear end in a top hat.

This isn't difficult, people.

That never happens in the vast majority of cases. Menus in almost all restaurants are so broad that even if you hate Italian food (which is such a broad nonsensical statement that it shouldn't be taken seriously), you'll be able to find something on the menu that is close enough to "not italian" that you can stomach it. Even if you have to say "can I have the chicken parmesan without sauce or cheese...yes, just a glorified chicken nugget for me please". Even most seafood places will have a burger on the menu.

also they could just say "no" to the invite. I'm not twisting anyone's arm here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That's insane. 76 I could understand, 78 I could live uncomfortably with, but 80-82? That's like my grandparents house and unless you're sitting absolutely still that is jim carrey in a rhino level of hot after a while.

I've worked at a ton of offices where several skeletal old women, who have been there for several decades, will stake a claim to all the desks surrounding a thermostat and keep it hot as hell in the area and still complain about how cold it is.

That never happens in the vast majority of cases. Menus in almost all restaurants are so broad that even if you hate Italian food (which is such a broad nonsensical statement that it shouldn't be taken seriously), you'll be able to find something on the menu that is close enough to "not italian" that you can stomach it. Even if you have to say "can I have the chicken parmesan without sauce or cheese...yes, just a glorified chicken nugget for me please". Even most seafood places will have a burger on the menu.

also they could just say "no" to the invite. I'm not twisting anyone's arm here.

When I was younger and lived with my family, we used to all go to dinner at the place of the birthday boy's choosing for their birthday. I swear my brother would select his restaurant out of pure spite toward me. He would pick a place called Souper Salad, a loving salad bar, he never just eats a salad except on that one day per year where he would demand going there.

I'm not anit-vegetable, and I actually like most of the components of salads, but when you put them all together, I just don't like salads. You may have noticed that the first word is "Souper" indicating soup, the soup was always terribly mediocre, like sub elementary school cafeteria soup. There were always only two soups too, as 90% of the buffet was designated for salads.

So yeah, I'd spend a good 45 minutes trying to eat soup and crackers, so my brother would get the only thing he ever wanted for his birthday: Tormenting me for no reason.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

In that case you have a right to complain, if the menu is very limited and is also bad. That doesn't even sound like a restaurant, you could get that exact same experience right down to the two varieties of soup in my grocery store.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Souper salad sucks hard. Grocery stores have superior salad bars.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Souper salad sucks hard. Grocery stores have superior salad bars.

There's more than one Souper Salad? I had always assumed it was, just one with how bad of an idea it was :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Iron Crowned posted:

There were always only two soups too, as 90% of the buffet was designated for salads.
Souper Salad is a real place, not just a joke from Party Down? And it's a place with "soup" in the name that only sells two kinds of soup? :psyduck:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tiggum posted:

Souper Salad is a real place, not just a joke from Party Down? And it's a place with "soup" in the name that only sells two kinds of soup? :psyduck:

I like soup and I like salads, but this place sounds like a good idea that was horribly executed.

Kind of reminds me of a bagel place we had here years ago that had really lovely coffee.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

You mean you can't tell that Tony Iommi was influenced by jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt?

They both had to overcome issues with their fretting fingers so it sort of makes sense?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, at the risk of :thejoke:, it's not so much a musical influence as it was, and rather literally at that, "if he could play the guitar I can still play the guitar." I guess if you wanted to be super accurate you'd say inspiration.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think there is evidence of jazz influence in Iommi's solo improvisational style; at the very least, the band he was in that became Black Sabbath (Earth) was a blues band that ventured into jazz.

In any case, Iommi cites Wes Montgomery as an influence on his playing rather than Reinhardt.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

docbeard posted:

If you know someone doesn't enjoy a particular kind of food and you insist on eating somewhere where that's all that's available because "gently caress picky eaters" then you're the one being an rear end in a top hat.

If they haven't adequately communicated their wishes or are just interested in whining and being a martyr, then they're the ones being an rear end in a top hat.

This isn't difficult, people.

I think I should clarify that these plans were made months in advance and I didn't invite my picky eater brother because he doesn't live close to me. All of a sudden, a couple of days from the party date, he invites himself and gets my mom to call and try to change my plans.

And this isn't even a restaurant that he couldn't eat anything at, the food just isn't served in a way he likes. For whatever reason, he won't change or make substitutions to menu items, so the menu text has to describe the food exactly the way he likes it or he won't order it. The restaurant has panko-breaded chicken cutlets, but it comes with a soy-based sauce so he therefore can't eat it.

Edit: This is the same guy who, when his doctor said that his cholesterol was off the charts because all he eats is fried foods and meat and bread sandwiches, bought an air fryer instead of trying to eat a vegetable.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Dec 14, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He could have a mental condition. Some aspergers people only eat food cooked in a certain way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

He could have a mental condition. Some aspergers people only eat food cooked in a certain way.

Maybe he shouldn't have invited himself along

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I've often wondered if he's on the spectrum, but my parents have always denied that he is so there must have been some testing done at some point. His personality doesn't really fit either, as he's outgoing, makes friends easily, and works in a public facing job where he makes tons of money that he likes to show off. He could be super-high functioning, I guess, but I don't see it.

Personally, I think he's just been catered to for most of his life and just got used to it. When we were kids, whenever he said he didn't like what we were eating, my mother would immediately go out and get him some chicken nuggets.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Chip McFuck posted:

When we were kids, whenever he said he didn't like what we were eating, my mother would immediately go out and get him some chicken nuggets.

My family does this and it pisses me off. My cousins who are the actual parents of the current kid generation try to get them to eat different foods, but my mom, aunts, and grandparents immediately buckle and will make special trips to fast food places or takeaway restaurants just so precious babby can have whatever they want. In Dallas, so it can easily be almost an hour round trip. It’s insane and stupid. They’ll also trip over themselves offering treats and desserts. “What do you want for dessert?” “I dunno.” “We have ice cream.” “Dunno.” “Waffles? Nutella toast?” “Maybe.” “I can make cookies!” “Dunno.”

God if the kid wants dessert at least make him expend effort requesting it.

And when we call them out they respond with “well you got what you wanted!” YES, and in hindsight it was bad. More than half of us were obese as kids and had to work it off ourselves in high school or college. One cousin is diabetic at 32. We KNOW where this leads and that’s why we are trying to change it.

My aunt also has a rescue dog she’s trying to train to not beg for/steal table food and even with the drat dog, everyone else will feed it from their plates when she isn’t looking, totally sabotaging her. That’s rude. It’s bad. Come the gently caress on.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Dec 14, 2018

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Fat midwestern types who get selective hearing loss when the cabin crew announce that there is no more room for their giant roller suitcases.

Motherfuckers, I travel with a backpack only no matter where I’m heading. And I’m a woman too. No, you don’t need seven pairs of shoes for an overnight in Vegas. If I have to travel with bulky shoes, I wear the bulkiest pair (hiking boots or knee-high high-heeled boots or whatever) and tie the other pair (sandals or running shoes or whatever) to my bag. You don’t need four backup dresses. You don’t need to scoop your entire makeup drawer into a bag.

But if you are going to insist on needing literally your entire bathroom, fixtures and all, then check your god drat bag.

Let those of us who actually have been outside our hometown of Sisterfuck, Arkansas have the space in the overheads for our backpacks and coats. We will be happier not stepping on them all flight and you’ll be happier not having to “gate check” your 50-kg monstrosity.

And don’t loving argue with the cabin crew that it’ll fit if you just... No. it won’t. Trust the cabin crew. They have seen people with your fat rear end and your fat suitcase a thousand times.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thursday Next posted:

Fat midwestern types who get selective hearing loss when the cabin crew announce that there is no more room for their giant roller suitcases.

Motherfuckers, I travel with a backpack only no matter where I’m heading. And I’m a woman too. No, you don’t need seven pairs of shoes for an overnight in Vegas. If I have to travel with bulky shoes, I wear the bulkiest pair (hiking boots or knee-high high-heeled boots or whatever) and tie the other pair (sandals or running shoes or whatever) to my bag. You don’t need four backup dresses. You don’t need to scoop your entire makeup drawer into a bag.

But if you are going to insist on needing literally your entire bathroom, fixtures and all, then check your god drat bag.

Let those of us who actually have been outside our hometown of Sisterfuck, Arkansas have the space in the overheads for our backpacks and coats. We will be happier not stepping on them all flight and you’ll be happier not having to “gate check” your 50-kg monstrosity.

And don’t loving argue with the cabin crew that it’ll fit if you just... No. it won’t. Trust the cabin crew. They have seen people with your fat rear end and your fat suitcase a thousand times.

Pet peeve: air travel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MightyJoe36 posted:

Pet peeve: air travel.

:yeah:

I really don't understand how in TYOOL 2018 people are still completely confused by every aspect of it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Thursday Next posted:

I check my bag every time for this reason. But my other peeve is "heheh yeah I don't even NEED a checked bag"

It's the "I don't even have a TV" of air travel.

I have family overseas and on three US coasts and overseas and live in a third country. I carry on a drat backpack and still need more stuff because we are there for a month. And I'd rather take a chill small backpack I can store under my seat instead of a hiking pack that doesn't hold what I need but still gets the privilege of fighting with the other fifty "SEE SEE I DONT NEED poo poo IT ALL FITS" assholes pushing stuff into the overheads.

I COULD cram stuff into a carryon but... why? First check is free. My backpack is for my laptop, a book or two, an emergency change of clothes, and maybe a snack or basic stuff to freshen up on a stopover.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Dec 14, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

First check is free.

:wrong:

Check at the aircraft, carry on sized luggage that is too big for the tiny rear end aircraft everyone uses these days is free. An actual luggage check that you do at the counter, that always costs money.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

:wrong:

Check at the aircraft, carry on sized luggage that is too big for the tiny rear end aircraft everyone uses these days is free. An actual luggage check that you do at the counter, that always costs money.

lol wtf airline do you fly?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm flying within the US, on US based carriers

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It happens with United a lot in my experience.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's $25 or $35 for each checked bag flying domestically with Delta. I had Silver status for a bit there and the fees were waived, which was nice, but fleeting.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Thursday Next posted:

A-loving-men

It happens all the time on Southwest, where you get 2 full sized 50 pound checked bags FOR loving FREE PER PERSON and still these jackasses can't go the two hours from Denver to Houston without their blowdryer within arm's reach. I'm over my smug one backpack for a week long trip phase, but I still wish people would just check their loving bags or pare down the amount of bullshit they travel with.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My pet peeve with air travel is when you're in the airport waiting to board and the attendant at the desk announces on the PA, "Please have your boarding passes and photographic ID ready for inspection," two or three times and there's always - always - at least one person who doesn't and seems to take ages to get it out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Riatsala posted:

A-loving-men

It happens all the time on Southwest, where you get 2 full sized 50 pound checked bags FOR loving FREE PER PERSON and still these jackasses can't go the two hours from Denver to Houston without their blowdryer within arm's reach. I'm over my smug one backpack for a week long trip phase, but I still wish people would just check their loving bags or pare down the amount of bullshit they travel with.

Precisely

The answer is not "cram everything into an oversized carryon" nor is it "bring one shirt and two sets of undies on a week-long trip" it's "check your goddam bag"

And honestly, who on earth has enough money to fly overseas on a major carrier, but the extra 25 for a bag is TOO MUCH if you have no choice to but to take a flight that charges you for it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If my bag meets the rules, gently caress off, i'm not checking it unless directly instructed to by the airline. I always get there early enough to be near the front of the boarding line so it hardly ever happens that they say they are out of room, but I have one at the maximum dimensions and sometimes attendants will try to make me check it until I show them it fits in their stupid test bin and doesn't exceed the weight limit. If I wanted to check it (and have you leave it behind in helsinki or something), I would have. I'm not breaking the rules.

My air luggage peeve is coats in the bins. If you have a larger carryon AND a bulky coat AND a bag to put under the seat, you are my peeve. You shouldn't be allowed to double dip on your overhead space and bitch when people "crush" it. Nobody forced you to wear a bigass coat, and if you really had to, they have coat hooks on the seat backs.

e: my carryon is in addition to my checked bag, for the record, containing essentials and a few days of clothes for when the dumbass airline loses my luggage for the 10th time.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Dec 14, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A trend I've noticed in the past six months or so is news sites that make the page automatically scroll down slowly, so you can't read anything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

A trend I've noticed in the past six months or so is news sites that make the page automatically scroll down slowly, so you can't read anything.

I've been noticing pages with narrow bars of text ads, but if you stop with one of them on the screen they'll slowly grow and add graphics until they're a full ad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who call each other "hun" on Facebook. The Huns were a nomadic tribe from Asia. The word you're looking for is "hon", short for "honey".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Don't call me that either. There's no way you can say it, at least in the US, without it coming across as incredibly condescending. Maybe it's just me but when someone says it to me I internally react the same way as if someone I don't know calls me "pal/friend/buddy", which is impotent rage.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

People who call each other "hun" on Facebook. The Huns were a nomadic tribe from Asia. The word you're looking for is "hon", short for "honey".

Just to clarify: is your issue with the way I pronounce that abbreviated term of endearment, or is the issue with me spelling it the way I pronounce it? How do you feel about "mum" and "mom"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

aardwolf posted:

Just to clarify: is your issue with the way I pronounce that abbreviated term of endearment, or is the issue with me spelling it the way I pronounce it? How do you feel about "mum" and "mom"?
I'm talking about writing it on Facebook so it's the spelling.

I think Americans should use "mom" and everyone else should use "mum".

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
So, to recap: people should spell these things the way they pronounce them, unless it's "hun" in which case they shouldn't? I get that this isn't the rational pet peeve thread but that still seems weird to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stop putting asian spices into pizza I don't want nori in my pizza

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

seaweed isn't a spice

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

aardwolf posted:

So, to recap: people should spell these things the way they pronounce them, unless it's "hun" in which case they shouldn't? I get that this isn't the rational pet peeve thread but that still seems weird to me.

No, we're supposed to argue about how "honey" is pronounced.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

remember how stupid the kitchen nightmares episode was where gordon ramsey talked on the radio about the restaurant owner that was trying to trademark "hon" was? just stop saying it, it's a dumb word and it should be one of those words you only use if you're australian, like oval office. To me it's basically the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

seaweed isn't a spice

I meant these things

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake