Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CrRoMa posted:

I used to bitterly say the same thing before buying one. Itd the future of videogames.

I don't think the future of VR has much in common with videogames as we know them. VR's strengths (which have mostly yet to be embraced) are diametrically opposed to the structures of classic videogame narrative. So, at best, VR isn't the future of videogames, it's the future of VR...that's currently piggybacking on videogames in a really awkward and unspectacular way.

VR and videogames, ideally, are two completely different mediums that are currently being conflated in a haphazard manner because the industry still lacks the proper terminology to critically engage them in meaningful ways.

When I put on a VR headset all I can think of is how much fun I'd be having if I were playing screen-framed videogames instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I know that when I'm looking for new and fresh ideas in video games I turn to like the 11th entry in the God of War series

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Hmm I'm trying to think of the last regular game that made me smile as much as VR has. Rocket League maybe?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Have you considered that you might have bad taste?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*watching Lost* This is so exciting! I'm thrilled and delighted! TV has never been better than this! I wonder if this is what it must have been like to see Nirvana play in concert?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

*watching Lost* This is so exciting! I'm thrilled and delighted! TV has never been better than this! I wonder if this is what it must have been like to see CohhCarnage play through Fallout 5 dressed as a nun?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lambert posted:

Have you considered that you might have bad taste?

Yeah but you have to be a right wanker to go around saying "i have good taste".

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who needs a story? A narrative? Characters? That's old news

Why need ANY of that when you can just have this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbTVRnizevs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I enjoy VR and 3D on the 3DS. Theyre incredible features with lots of possibilities that people unfairly dismiss

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

CrRoMa posted:

Most videogames are just unimpressive. I'm only 32 but i feel some games that i see people lavish praise on are just reiterations of things I've already seen. I got very excited about VR when i first used it, it seems like something genuinely new and innovative and it put a massive smile on my face. Playing red dead 2 and Dragon quest 11 this year just felt so rote and stale. Even god of war and Spiderman which i enjoyed greatly were completely predictable and exactly what i expected.

Its just seems that so many people are easily impressed with videogames. Obviously not everyone has the same opinion as me so I'm not aggressively criticising its just amusing to here people fawn over games that would have impressed me in 2001.

Perhaps being 32 instead of 15 has had an affect on your perception of products primarily targeted to teens and 20 somethings

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Here’s an unpopular opinion: video games are ... good :agesilaus:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

When I put on a VR headset all I can think of is how much fun I'd be having if I were playing screen-framed videogames instead.

That's probably true about literally all other activities in your life tho.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

VR is cool and the future but only because it made motion controls better to use.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
lol, motion controls. Remember when the industry was going apeshit for them? But it worked, I'm typing this using my Kinect.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Games that constantly throw loot your way are insufferable and headache inducing. I tried getting into Nioh but there's too many loot based mechanics for me to keep going and every baddy gives you 50 new pieces to sort through. My fault for not doing more research but I feel gyped. Combat's nice though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ChazTurbo posted:

Games that constantly throw loot your way are insufferable and headache inducing.

:agreed:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nothing I love more than going through piles of identically named but minimally differently stated items so I can get that edge before repeating the process in the very next area. Videogames are all about menus, right?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ChazTurbo posted:

Games that constantly throw loot your way are insufferable and headache inducing. I tried getting into Nioh but there's too many loot based mechanics for me to keep going and every baddy gives you 50 new pieces to sort through. My fault for not doing more research but I feel gyped. Combat's nice though.

This was one of my main turnoffs from the game

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Nioh has hands down the worst loot/inventory system I've ever seen. In a vacuum the combat is good, but everything else about that game sucked!!!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I haven't played Nioh but I'm having a hard time believing a worse loot/inventory system than Mass Effect 1 exists.

Honorary mention: Every Bethesda game ever.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

CrRoMa posted:

Most videogames are just unimpressive. I'm only 32 but i feel some games that i see people lavish praise on are just reiterations of things I've already seen. I got very excited about VR when i first used it, it seems like something genuinely new and innovative and it put a massive smile on my face. Playing red dead 2 and Dragon quest 11 this year just felt so rote and stale. Even god of war and Spiderman which i enjoyed greatly were completely predictable and exactly what i expected.

Its just seems that so many people are easily impressed with videogames. Obviously not everyone has the same opinion as me so I'm not aggressively criticising its just amusing to here people fawn over games that would have impressed me in 2001.
congratulations you are no longer blown away by rote formulas and shiny objects like a child or a turkey anymore

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I feel like I've gone 10+ years without running across the word "rote" and I've seen it on this site twice in 10 minutes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That's probably true about literally all other activities in your life tho.

Probably true, except for books. I read a lot of books. :awesome:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 14, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Probably true, except for books. I read a lot of books.

have you heard about audio books. they're the future of reading

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I feel like I've gone 10+ years without running across the word "rote" and I've seen it on this site twice in 10 minutes.

isn't that like a fish egg

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

hmm, cool. one of those mysteries of the universe..

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

have you heard about audio books. they're the future of reading

Happy that post-2016 life in America has less of the insufferable "Storytelling is what makes us human" poo poo that was so prevalent in 90s-00s newsmedia.

This American Life editing techniques :fuckoff:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Happy that post-2016 life in America has less of the insufferable "Storytelling is what makes us human" poo poo that was so prevalent in 90s-00s newsmedia.

This American Life editing techniques :fuckoff:

Calling literally every story "Inspirational" when it was just "person is successful at the end."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Try reading material beyond tweets, headlines, and billboards

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Over There posted:

isn't that like a fish egg

You're thinking of rube?

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
The Kintect was great and I loved it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgJqliVWSSg

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

CrRoMa posted:

I get this feeling with most new media. I think it's just a stage of life that you go through at some point in your 30s. The games, movies, music that come out just don't seem as important, because they're not new to you any more. I remember the Spiderman reboot with Toby McGuire, and the X-Men film with Hugh Jackman being pretty huge. I have no loving idea who Spiderman or Wolverine are any more, or what iteration of reboot we're on, but it's probably important to someone who's 25 or under

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

If you have a halfway modern PC, like anything with an i3 or i5 CPU, the onboard video will run a surprising number of games.

Playing games at lower than max settings is better than not playing them at all <--- there's my unpopular opinion

buy an 8 year old i7 off Craig's list, throw a $150 graphics card in it and play on max :getin:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

EvilGenius posted:

I get this feeling with most new media. I think it's just a stage of life that you go through at some point in your 30s. The games, movies, music that come out just don't seem as important, because they're not new to you any more. I remember the Spiderman reboot with Toby McGuire, and the X-Men film with Hugh Jackman being pretty huge. I have no loving idea who Spiderman or Wolverine are any more, or what iteration of reboot we're on, but it's probably important to someone who's 25 or under

Spiderman in '02 was a working class outcast who's main enemy was a billionaire and people were like :what:

Spiderman in '17 works with and for billionaires and his enemy is a working class dude and people like :woop:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 14, 2018

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Try reading material beyond tweets, headlines, and billboards

I'm confident I've read more books in the past year than you have in 5, so this isn't the sick burn you imagined.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm confident I've read more books in the past year than you have in 5, so this isn't the sick burn you imagined.

It is, actually. :smug:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Spiderman in '02 was a working class outcast who's main enemy was a billionaire and people were :what:

Spiderman in '17 works with and for billionaires and his enemy is a working class dude and people like :woop:

this is all at the feet of tobey maguire imo. nobody wanted that frodo lookin motherfucker to star in anything, and then he becomes spiderman? :raise: yeah, no.

working class outcast spiderman starring dwayne the rock johnson. that would've moved the people

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

this is all at the feet of tobey maguire imo. nobody wanted that frodo lookin motherfucker to star in anything, and then he becomes spiderman? :raise: yeah, no.

working class outcast spiderman starring dwayne the rock johnson. that would've moved the people

I've gone back and forth on Maguire, though in the end I think he's a decent fit for the creepy b-movie vibe of that trilogy. No idea what people see in Holland however other than he gels acceptably with the current crop of fascist Marvel ubermenschen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lmao at the state of nintendo fanboys. whoa another exciting year of old ports, new entries in old tired series, and a couple random indies.