Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Declan MacManus posted:

ended up being about 104 us on black friday

as far as 250 clones go the eqd gray channel is great, as is the solidgoldfx zeta and the chicago stompworks gray speck; the dist+ is close enough but does have a different voicing while having a similar character if that makes sense

If you're really into the 250 voicing you can fairly easily mod the D+ to those values but the circuit is still input -> LM741 op-amp -> hard clipping diodes -> output.

Interestingly: the 250 uses silicon clipping diodes and the D+ uses germanium clipping diodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My main "pedalboard" is a G3Xn, but it's a little bulky for my THR10 office setup, and I wanted a something just to color my tone a little bit. At $10 on black friday, this was too good to pass up. And I love that insanely generic box art.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-24-touch-monitor-p2418ht/apd/210-alcs/monitors-monitor-accessories

I know... screens don't really count as gear do they? But in this case I'm using it for Serato. I don't know if that's a good idea or not, but I was curious and now I'm gonna find out.

It does not work at all with Serato. Apparently every time you touch the screen the display freezes and won't fix itself until you wiggle the mouse or use the touch pad.
Also, I just bought Traktor Pro 3 only to find out that there are no midi maps for my Numark ns6 ii so now I'm debating on getting a cheap audio interface, or just getting a Traktor ready mixer and using it for DVS.

Does anyone have an audio interface they recommend? Supposedly Traktor DVS will work with any audio interface as long as you use their timecode vinyls. But I'll still need a mixer so I'm leaning toward something traktor-ready.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 6, 2018

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Finally got in to pick some stuff up that I had on layway at the pawn shop.

PRS SE Custom 22

Mexican Fender Standard Jazz Bass

It's got some miles on it

That is through the clear coat, through the color, and down to the wood.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

widefault posted:

What would even do that? Was somebody playing bass while carrying around a leaky car battery?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
That's likely 21 years of a fingertip rubbing in the same spot. There's a also a slight indent on the pickguard in front of the pickup, and the pickup covers corners are all rounded over from anchoring off them, too. It's been played a lot.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Lester Shy posted:

My main "pedalboard" is a G3Xn, but it's a little bulky for my THR10 office setup, and I wanted a something just to color my tone a little bit. At $10 on black friday, this was too good to pass up. And I love that insanely generic box art.

I legit love that Joyo Pedal. I'm sure I could find something I like more for a few hundred but for 10-20 buck you just can't beat it.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
All Joyo pedals come in that box and I love the handful that I have.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

widefault posted:

That's likely 21 years of a fingertip rubbing in the same spot. There's a also a slight indent on the pickguard in front of the pickup, and the pickup covers corners are all rounded over from anchoring off them, too. It's been played a lot.
:omarcomin:

I recently got to catch up with one of my previous bosses/teachers from way back in the 90's, and he still has his old ESP Eclipse that he bought at around the time I started music school. Aside from changing the bridge pickup, the guitar is still in pretty good shape and has all these grooves like the ones you showed. Just like your Sexy Fender: A proper road-worn instrument. :allears:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Anime Reference posted:

What would even do that? Was somebody playing bass while carrying around a leaky car battery?

The Xenomorph fell on hard times, okay? The last few movies didn't so well and it had to hock its bass.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And because I have very bad impulse control, one more this week.

Squier Vintage Modified '72 Telecaster Thinline. Came from Amazon's warehouse deals, $269. Listed as having "small imperfections on the body" but I sure haven't found anything.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

widefault posted:

Squier Vintage Modified '72 Telecaster Thinline. Came from Amazon's warehouse deals, $269. Listed as having "small imperfections on the body" but I sure haven't found anything.

Whaddya mean, there's a big hole in it right there! :v:

Music purchases-wise, anyone around here buy anything from GFS during their big moving sale? I'm coming up on 2 months since paying for my Xaviere and it still hasn't shipped. :ohdear:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

widefault posted:

drat, those are the wrhbs that can be reworked by Novak.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Dewgy posted:

Music purchases-wise, anyone around here buy anything from GFS during their big moving sale? I'm coming up on 2 months since paying for my Xaviere and it still hasn't shipped. :ohdear:

I bought some pickups from them during their sale and they arrived about a month ago. Have you tried contacting them? Every time I've had an issue they've been really helpful.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

widefault posted:

My 68’ Hagstrom might qualify as “a lot”.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sockington posted:

My 68’ Hagstrom might qualify as “a lot”.

That's beautiful. I'd paint that with clear-coat nail polish and keep on rockin

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

widefault posted:

Mexican Fender Standard Jazz Bass

It's got some miles on it

This is the correct bass to own.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Hrrrngh I thought I was done acquiring gear then someone put this on Craigslist for $400 and I am awfully tempted

I think it’s just the p bass special/deluxe passive PJ with the jazz neck, but some kind of FSR with dot inlays and the matte/satin black finish? I haven’t been able to find another example quite like it online. The headstock pic makes it look like it could maybe even be an ebony fretboard but I think it’s rosewood.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do my eyes deceive me or is that a badass bass bridge? :dance:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The very same!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Then I do believe that Sexy-Mexi Bass is making a pass at you.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thermos H Christ posted:

Hrrrngh I thought I was done acquiring gear then someone put this on Craigslist for $400 and I am awfully tempted

I think it’s just the p bass special/deluxe passive PJ with the jazz neck, but some kind of FSR with dot inlays and the matte/satin black finish? I haven’t been able to find another example quite like it online. The headstock pic makes it look like it could maybe even be an ebony fretboard but I think it’s rosewood.

That's a fine looking bass

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
After nearly two months, GFS finally got back to me, and I had to switch to a red tele instead of seafoam. But it shipped! :toot:

And more importantly, thanks to my local thrift store:

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Not pic of mine because it's all wrapped up, but I got my guitarist roommate a Peterson StroboPlus HD.

I use their software version for all my setup and tuning needs, it's been probably the most important overall purchase I've made re: my own studio. And since my roommate is both repairing guitars and doing his own studio work now, I figured he needed to stop using snarks to setup other people's guitars, lol!

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Dewgy posted:

After nearly two months, GFS finally got back to me, and I had to switch to a red tele instead of seafoam. But it shipped! :toot:

And more importantly, thanks to my local thrift store:

Do what we did, and add a pickup to the inside! It's up under the case, around where the sheet music stand is, and you can see the input + volume knob on the side.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Slothful Bong posted:

Not pic of mine because it's all wrapped up, but I got my guitarist roommate a Peterson StroboPlus HD.

I use their software version for all my setup and tuning needs, it's been probably the most important overall purchase I've made re: my own studio. And since my roommate is both repairing guitars and doing his own studio work now, I figured he needed to stop using snarks to setup other people's guitars, lol!

This looks real nice, but lol at "unlocking" the already built-in metronome for $40.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Philthy posted:

This looks real nice, but lol at "unlocking" the already built-in metronome for $40.

Haha lol I totally missed that side of it. Peterson is really not good about their IAP stuff now, their software version has a bunch of "sweetened tunings" you can spend a bunch of money on.

Hope my roommate doesn't want the metronome, that thing was already $150, haha.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've found phones offer such a huge leap in metronomes for basically the cost of nothing, that it's kinda weird people are even selling physical metronomes still. The learning / training modes, configurable bleep bloops, set-list support, flash, loudness per beat, on and on and on.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
physical metronomes generally still win on volume and definitely win on battery life

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I thought that too, but both my Korg and Yamaha, while loud, are about half the volume my iPhone can go. I was surprised and stopped using them for that alone. Battery is inconsequential. I play in my room and I can simply plug it into the wall if it gets low, or just hook up a pack. The apps i've used dont seem to dent the battery level at all for hours.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I don't lose the audio adapter for my metronome every week, which is one nice reason to own a physical one over using my iPhone. (When I practice I play through monitors or headphones and I like to have my metronome signal routed through whatever I'm playing through.)

Also I like the sound on my TM-50 more than any of the handful of metronome apps I've tried. It's a nice piercing chirp.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Slothful Bong posted:

Do what we did, and add a pickup to the inside! It's up under the case, around where the sheet music stand is, and you can see the input + volume knob on the side.

That’s awesome. I’m hesitant to make major alterations but there’s a missing front panel that may be a great spot for piezo volume/tone controls.

Other thing in my post:

Two months of waiting and a color swap later I finally have my Xaviere. And holy poo poo I love it. :swoon:

GFS’ stock setup was really nice, the wiring’s buzz free, and the pickup config has a bazillion options thanks to the coil tap. I think this may be my new main player for a while.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 18, 2018

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

Two months of waiting and a color swap later I finally have my Xaviere. And holy poo poo I love it. :swoon:

GFS’ stock setup was really nice, the wiring’s buzz free, and the pickup config has a bazillion options thanks to the coil tap. I think this may be my new main player for a while.
What pickups are those again?

I'm definitely guilty of the whole "buy a cheap guitar and put ridiculously expensive pickups in it" thing. I bought a $400 Talman off the internet sight-unseen and put a $300 set of Joe Barden Electronics Danny Gatton tele pickups in it.

I consider it one of the best decisions I've ever made, up there with putting a set of Fralins in my MIM Tele. It's amazing how much fun you can have playing those T-types. They do so much with what appears to be so little.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the stigma against putting expensive pickups in a cheap guitar is only valid in that from a functional perspective super-expensive pickups are just as pointless as super-expensive guitars

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

What pickups are those again?

They’re GFS “Lil Puncher” double rail pickups with a coil tap on the tone knob. They also have their Kwigplug thing so if I get bored with them it’s a real easy swap job.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Was originally going to go with Dakota red, but after receiving the body with this awesome grain pattern I decided to stain instead. This is after two coats of cherry stain. Gonna leave it to dry overnight and then hit it with some matte Tried and True.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol pickups matter a shitload more than the guitar.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

This looks fantastic! You should get a clear pickguard or just skip it entirely.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lester Shy posted:

This looks fantastic! You should get a clear pickguard or just skip it entirely.

Yeah I'd probably just go for the control plate and direct mount pickups, that looks real nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Picked up my first ever tube amp today: an older Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12. I set it to volume 2 out of 12 and it's making the windows rattle. The only blemish is that the reverb is only intermittently working (which was disclosed to me by the seller) and I probably won't fix that since I have pedals. It came on casters, has the footswitch, and a cover.

It only ran me $300.

The best part was picking it up: it was in an old run-down victorian house in Berkeley. The older guy led me in past a few other older guys working on computers, and then through a store room filled with hundreds of these:

Edit: hot rod, not blues

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 20, 2018