Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MiddleOne posted:

Palme de-regulated the banks and inadvertently caused the 90's crash.

Yeah but doesn't that still put him as more left than today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Katt posted:

I wonder if I can track down what particular internet shithole he gets his news from based on his news flow. I accused him of picking up nazi news on facebook but he claims he got it all from Aftonbladet.

Those kinds of sites always link or refer to real news articles and put the most bizarre spin on them, knowing their readers will never read the actual sources. At most they will only go straight to the comment sections.

It may seem self-contradictory for them to say they get their information from what they call the "Lûgenpresse", but try not to think too much about it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah but doesn't that still put him as more left than today?

Palme gutted löntagarfonderna.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So what you're saying is you shot Palme, for those reasons.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Palme och Geijer - Nixons lakejer!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Palme och Geijer - Nixons lakejer!

Nixons lagkager?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I found out just now that in Sweden apparently you guys are so underfunded that parents are expected to bring the kids dresses and costumes for Lucia rather than the school having it's own store of suits and costumes for kids to use. Just one small thing.... But many small things can make a river...

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I found out just now that in Sweden apparently you guys are so underfunded that parents are expected to bring the kids dresses and costumes for Lucia rather than the school having it's own store of suits and costumes for kids to use. Just one small thing.... But many small things can make a river...

The little gingerbread men have hats made out of folded paper :negative:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why do we celebrate some Italian woman called Lucia anyway

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Katt posted:

The little gingerbread men have hats made out of folded paper :negative:

I was also scolded for pointing this out and was told by a swedish parent he would be very angry if schools were wasting money on things like this in Sweden. And it's not the job of schools to raise children.

To that I think ;

1) It does not seem to be helping swedish students grades any...

2) gently caress no, the school has a super important job in helping raising your kids. If you have forgotten the old saying "it takes a village to raise a child" in Sweden (why schools are even more important in a modern society) then no wonder only 74% of them graduate. A school is definitely more than just learning maths, reading and writing and stuff like that. It's also where you learn to be a well rounded person.

Like Sweden, you are the america of the nordics, please get better.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Sorry, but it goes against the Principle of Valfrihet to have good schools that make sense. All schools must be varying degrees of crap so the wannabe rich can feel real smart when they put their kids in the slightly less crap schools, and so the actual rich can leech state funds by running said schools.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Valfrihet is probably the single biggest disaster that happened to Swedish schools I know of.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zzulu posted:

Same reason we celebrate anything else. They're neat stories.

And the schools can't afford some tablecloth with holes cut in them, and a stack of pine? I know the candles can cost, but really, now.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

Long ago when we used the Julian calendar; the understanding was that the 13:th of december was the darkest day of the year. In Swedish folklore this was dangerous. So swedes had this thing that was basically luciatåg, only pagan. Then Christianity arrived and somehow figured that they'd tack on a saint to make it less blasphemous.

So the same as valborg and midsommar. "Pragmatic" missionaries.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

So what you're saying is you shot Palme, for those reasons.

Everyone knows that Looptroop shot Palme and framed Christer

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Valfrihet is probably the single biggest disaster that happened to Swedish schools I know of.

I was gonna link Doktor Kosmos's song Stoppa valfriheten here but yikes the lyrics sure have turned ~problematic~ since it was first written.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's a never-ending competition with kommunaliseringen and SKL.

Palme did in fact not ruin the schools.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Beeswax posted:

I was gonna link Doktor Kosmos's song Stoppa valfriheten here but yikes the lyrics sure have turned ~problematic~ since it was first written.

Hmm, I wonder what this is all abou....

:yikes:

E: it really is terrible, shameful poo poo.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 14, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Even for paganism. Dancing around a shrubbery penis is a bit on the nose don't you think :v:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Katt posted:

Even for paganism. Dancing around a shrubbery penis is a bit on the nose don't you think :v:

It's God's penis now and therefore a-ok!

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Remove all högtider of the calender.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

von Braun posted:

Remove all högtider of the calender.

All of Ramadan should be red days IMO.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
All religious observances should be red days.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Cynic Jester posted:

All religious observances should be red days.

The opposite actually.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Katt posted:

That's a myth though. Of all the things that have pagan roots in midsummer, the midsummer pole is not one of them. They also looked less phallic in the early modern when midsummer poles were more recent (the midsummer pole in Sweden is a late middle age German influence).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 15, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Potrzebie posted:

The opposite actually.
YOU GET NOTHING

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Work sucks, politics sucks, learning Danish started sucking as of Aug 1 when the state cut language funding, the dark sucks, the cold sucks. Everything sucks right now. I can only talk about it online here because if I post to FB my GF will get upset, she can't read it here. She's off watching TV. I loathe TV, incidentally.

Second winter in Denmark, I gather this is to be expected. I just want to go home to Toronto and see my friends. I used to have friends. :/

Monday I think I'm walking down to HR and asking about someone to talk to...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You sure you don't want to pass it by a doctor or a therapist first? I mean HR is an option but if your work environment isn't the problem then passing by the other two I mentioned first is risk-free, which passing it by HR never is.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

Work sucks, politics sucks, learning Danish started sucking as of Aug 1 when the state cut language funding, the dark sucks, the cold sucks. Everything sucks right now. I can only talk about it online here because if I post to FB my GF will get upset, she can't read it here. She's off watching TV. I loathe TV, incidentally.

Second winter in Denmark, I gather this is to be expected. I just want to go home to Toronto and see my friends. I used to have friends. :/

People are pretty friendly in the other thread, or at least sufficiently depressed to make you feel at home.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480864

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ Yeah, come join us in the other more-chatty-slightly-less-politics thread.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

You sure you don't want to pass it by a doctor or a therapist first? I mean HR is an option but if your work environment isn't the problem then passing by the other two I mentioned first is risk-free, which passing it by HR never is.
This is the wiser option.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

I know a lot of foreigners living here in Sweden and it seems it's a solid 3-5 years to start feeling like it might be home. The initial culture shock coupled with the brutal winters (if you're from a place where that's not a thing) can be harsh. I hope it works out for you; generally it does.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Generally speaking id say if you're close enough to your partner to come to another continent with them you should probably be comfortable talking about your mental health with them

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
She cries like it's her fault. I really hate making her sad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

How are you on social stuff? Like events, beer tastings, just meeting up with ordinary people in general?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this is not the EN thread

I demand you cease these chats before I deport all of you

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Isn't Hygge a Danish thing and aren't they the happiest people on earth?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

MRLOLAST posted:

They sure seem happy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

That actually turned out to be thanks to sloppy translation and when controlled for it turned the Danes are no happier than anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zzulu posted:

this is not the EN thread

I demand you cease these chats before I deport all of you

gently caress off. Those are american rules for americans, we're all scandis around here. Wintersucks chat can't possibly be worse than loving scandinavian politics.