Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The guy's tweet is kind of overhyping it. Ballard wanted to go look for the Titanic. He approached the Navy for technical assistance and IIRC, one of their submersibles. They said sure, but you need to also go to the Thresher and Scorpion wrecks (they already knew where both were), and see if it's possible to bring them back up to the surface. They figured because he was acting as a civilian and not a member of the navy, the Russians wouldn't bother surveilling him or whatever.

So it's not AS cool as say the Glomar expedition, but still cool.

Also I got to see Ballard speak a couple of times since he was a professor emeritus at my school and occassionally showed up to give lectures. The one on the Bismarck was some incredibly cool poo poo. Sobering too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

facialimpediment posted:

Christie was the #1 choice.

lmfao

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Handsome Ralph posted:

The guy's tweet is kind of overhyping it. Ballard wanted to go look for the Titanic. He approached the Navy for technical assistance and IIRC, one of their submersibles. They said sure, but you need to also go to the Thresher and Scorpion wrecks (they already knew where both were), and see if it's possible to bring them back up to the surface. They figured because he was acting as a civilian and not a member of the navy, the Russians wouldn't bother surveilling him or whatever.

My dad still has his finding the titanic laserdisc. It was one of the only times his interests and mine lined up as a kid. It spends a good amount of time on the machinery and science of going that deep to find something. Like robot arms on a sub, now here's a few minutes of searching the exterior. Worth a watch if you can find it. Not sure if its on any stream but I'm pretty sure it got a DVD release a while back.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

BigDave posted:

Question, if that would actually happen, would the secret service stop the FBI or US Marshalls from arresting him?

FWIW I'm mutuals with a former Secret Service guy on twitter so I asked him how they'd respond if someone tried to arrest the president and he said: "Hand him over as long as the warrant is valid. Go along with him to booking."

Obviously this might depend on who's on duty and in charge at the time but unless Trump has been stuffing the secret service with his cronies then I imagine it'd go down like he said.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

facialimpediment posted:

About an hour ago, Christie was the #1 choice. RIP

By weight?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

No because Huckabee wasnt considered

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
FBI responded to reports and stuff saying Flynn was entrapped into lying. The FBI basically said "dude, he was lying for weeks before we got there."

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1073670358094544896?s=19

Popehat disclaimer: never talk to the FBI without a lawyer

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Again, I say;

"You asked for a miracle, I give you the F.B.I."

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

facialimpediment posted:

FBI responded to reports and stuff saying Flynn was entrapped into lying. The FBI basically said "dude, he was lying for weeks before we got there."

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1073670358094544896?s=19

Popehat disclaimer: never talk to the FBI without a lawyer

The best part is this,

"The FBI agents gave the defendant multiple opportunities to correct his false statements by revisiting key questions."

They literally gave him multiple chances to come clean, receipts visibly in hand, and he still loving double downed on his lie. What a loving moron.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Lawyer: LTG Flynn, in this situation, it is illegal to lie.

DOJ: So, about your-

LTG Flynn: MY HAIR IS MADE OF PASTA, I CAN WRAP MY DICK IN A KNOT, AND I AM A SMART PERSON

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1073675830109372416?s=19

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Oh this explains it a bit. He basically thought "Trump's president, nothing will happen to me. The FBI is on my side."

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1073675208421187590

lol, Popehat probably had a seizure reading that.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1073673728242999296?s=19

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I feel like at some point, he would’ve gone to someone and said “when is the President going to tell the FBI we’re all good? *winks*”

But that would presume he’s not a colossal idiot.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In addition to the racism and contempt for civil society, I think Flynn probably has some serious mental health issues. He's done too many blatantly stupid things to not have.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

highdea: why is "baby it's cold outside" still in common seasonal play when we've all acknowledged how rapey it is?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Man what a loving idiot he is. Jesus Christ.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Who are you going to believe- me, or your lying signals intercept of me committing some light treason?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Entire floor at DC Court sealed off

https://www.ajc.com/news/national-govt--politics/entire-floor-federal-courthouse-sealed-off-for-mystery-case/JyerATnO5wL4gJKcS6nVJP/

Speculations are that Mueller subpoenaed Trump and he is fighting it. Oral arguments supposed to be heard today I think. Might get crazy real quick

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

EBB posted:

highdea: why is "baby it's cold outside" still in common seasonal play when we've all acknowledged how rapey it is?

Dude our President is a rapist. A rapist is on the Supreme Court. By and large America doesn't give a gently caress about rape

Short answer - tradition

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Flynn definitely fell deep in the rabbit hole of authoritarianism

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

Haven't you read the thing going around where it's explained in the context of the time the song was written that a woman, in order to consent, actually had to put up a token fight in order to not be considered a whore?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

McNally posted:

Haven't you read the thing going around where it's explained in the context of the time the song was written that a woman, in order to consent, actually had to put up a token fight in order to not be considered a whore?

It really is amazing none of the older generation grew up to have boundary issues ya?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EBB posted:

to own the libs, why else

e: the really weird thing about it for me is that i had literally never heard the song until this year, but i guess because someone complained about it it's now a treasured classic that shall never be removed from the holiday music canon

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 14, 2018

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Also “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” was the thing that pushed Sayyid Qutb, the philosophical father of radical Islam and an influence on the genesis of modern day jihadism, over the edge.

So you can basically make the argument that the song was responsible for 9/11. In 20 years, we’ll find out that the people who nuked Fort Lauderdale were radicalized by how loving garbage Love Actually and “All I Want For Christmas Is You” are.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The song doesn’t bother me. We have bigger fish to fry than decades old song about courtship.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

LingcodKilla posted:

The song doesn’t bother me. We have bigger fish to fry than decades old song about courtship.

oh okay

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Eartha Kit is awesome but Santa Baby is the worst of the old Christmas standards. Obviously there's worse out there if you widen the net to include celebrity Christmas albums.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This just seems like the liberal version of people losing their poo poo over Starbucks cups.

Meh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

So it's not AS cool as say the Glomar expedition, but still cool.

Also I got to see Ballard speak a couple of times since he was a professor emeritus at my school and occassionally showed up to give lectures. The one on the Bismarck was some incredibly cool poo poo. Sobering too.

Yeah, this was overhyped. It was basically common knowledge that the Navy requested Ballard find those two in exchange for helping him with the Titanic.

Nowhere near like the Glomar Explorer and K-129

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Eartha Kit is awesome but Santa Baby is the worst of the old Christmas standards. Obviously there's worse out there if you widen the net to include celebrity Christmas albums.

Santa Baby is gross.

She’s amazing looking in the old video though.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o9TaldKpE0

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Everything Christmas related is gross because gently caress consumerism

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

maffew buildings posted:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1073693969786105856?s=20

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

maffew buildings posted:

same

It warms my heart but I guess it’s also sad to see people have to publicly announce “hey family I’m too broke to get you anything for Christmas soooo yeah”

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beat me to it

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

no one even cares anymore lol

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EBB posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/a3gkmy/is_there_historical_context_that_aids_us_in/

Spoiler: It's rapey if you want to view it that way, but in the context of 1944, it's not.

Also beaten by a meme.