Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I wouldn't wish sub life on anyone. Man or woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm still waiting for someone to claim the first maneuvering midwatch baby. Its going to happen eventually.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

Cerekk posted:

The Wyoming incident was hardly a problem with women on submarines, it was a problem with criminal behavior by men on submarines.

The modesty challenges are already solved and it wasn't hard. Everything else is discipline and professionalism. The fast attacks will find they are still able to operate effectively despite the arduous burden of no longer being able to wander the engine room in a cock sock.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. The problem absolutely isn't women, nor did I mean to imply otherwise. I'm just saying that the Navy needs to get more serious about handling cases that happen rather than worrying about bad headlines.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So one of my college friends just reached out to me to let me know shes going to OCS in January on a SWO package. Trying to ask in as nice in as way possible of shes really really really sure she wants to do that/see if her intel application didnt go through.

Jimmy, I'd be happy to speak to your friend about OCS and SWO life as a woman if she's interested in getting that perspective. I can provide email info over PM if she wants it. My OCS experience is a bit outdated (I left just over 5 years ago now), but I can offer some perspective on what she can expect. Just make sure she's prepared for Newport winters. It is cold as gently caress up there.

Also found out where I'm headed after post-grad school: Back to Norfolk as one of the JOOD instructors. I know that it's still a pretty new position, so that will be interesting. I was starting to look forward to Hawaii, so I'm a bit sad in that respect, but I don't fully necessarily view Norfolk as the Hell-hole so many do. I'm at least close to friends out there, and the apartment complex I lived at still has my old file. It was near an awesome bakery too, so that'd be cool.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Valley Stared posted:

Jimmy, I'd be happy to speak to your friend about OCS and SWO life as a woman if she's interested in getting that perspective. I can provide email info over PM if she wants it. My OCS experience is a bit outdated (I left just over 5 years ago now), but I can offer some perspective on what she can expect. Just make sure she's prepared for Newport winters. It is cold as gently caress up there.

That's an awesome offer, thanks Stared! I'll check with my friend and if she says yes I'll shoot you a PM.

She'd also better say yes, talking to someone who was on the Fitz would be insanely valuable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

Pretty much this. Fraternization between sexes on ship will happen because people are human beings as much as you would like to suppress it in the military, and people who get caught will be nailed to the wall, but harassment and assault can get the gently caress out, and anyone who perpetuates that should be punished extremely harshly.

I imagine its a lot harder to find a spot on a sub to hide to have a screw than it is on a skimmer though, so fraternization may not be as big of a problem on a sub, though people who commit assault don't really seem to give a poo poo about privacy.

Frat happens on all male ships, too. I know at least four other goons were on the all male firstship with me when our 3MC became a GM1 after he got busted loving an SH3.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was on the last all-male DDG.

When I checked into my first command, they told me it was the last all-male ddg. Where you on the Russell, or was I lied to?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I thought the JSM was, but looks like I was wrong.

I’ll amend my previous statement to one of the last all male ddgs. This was in 2007 so my memory may not be correct.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I wasn't trying to gatekeep or call you out, just wanted to know if we knew each other irl. I dont know who's correct, that's just what I was told. A cursory googling isn't turning up anything definitive.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 12, 2018

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

The Valley Stared posted:

Also found out where I'm headed after post-grad school: Back to Norfolk as one of the JOOD instructors.

Why are you not being forced to run DCA school?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Someone in the Navy has a conscience?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Evil SpongeBob posted:

There's a lot of math at DCA school, and I'd need a huge refresher before I'd be any good there. The JOOD school will likely still allow me to share my experiences with ensigns and JGs who are working on their OOD qual, so I can make sure they understand some of that. Maybe I can pop over to the DCASE and talk about it too.

As for all male ships: JSM allows female officers, but no female enlisted. I don't think that that changed following their repairs in the drydock. I'm not sure about the Russell, though I have someone that I could ask.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

That's an awesome offer, thanks Stared! I'll check with my friend and if she says yes I'll shoot you a PM.

She'd also better say yes, talking to someone who was on the Fitz would be insanely valuable.

No problem. It's very possible she's in the same boat I was where she was told a SWO slot was guaranteed, but that an Intel slot at OCS wasn't, so she went with the sure thing. If she really wants to lat-tranfer, it's doable, but she'll need to put a lot of time into it, and only after she's gotten her pin.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
The Russell has since integrated, that's was just one of their "interesting facts" when I first checked in like 8 years ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JSM had periodic female officers when I was aboard as well. Crazy to think that the crew is still all male, but I can get why it hasn’t been refitted yet.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Also we're putting in our preferences for squadrons tomorrow! Anyone know anything about any of the VP (except VP-1) squadrons up in Whidbey? I heard all of them were alright, but wanted to see if anyone here had any insight?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I can't be the only person who, when reading about wear whatever to watch on that sub, didn't assume the Sailor wore the one sock on their dingus am I?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Also we're putting in our preferences for squadrons tomorrow! Anyone know anything about any of the VP (except VP-1) squadrons up in Whidbey? I heard all of them were alright, but wanted to see if anyone here had any insight?

Track down Vulturesrow, he'd likely have the best gouge.

EDIT: He was VAQ, though - so you'd likely be getting a good bit of second-hand gouge.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 13, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

I can't be the only person who, when reading about wear whatever to watch on that sub, didn't assume the Sailor wore the one sock on their dingus am I?

Nope.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Which ones are good or bad seems to change every few years depending on front office and other stuff. I’m sure the old Hawaii squadrons are a little more chill than the whidbey ones, but that may have been beaten out of them by now.

I know a DH at 40 and the skipper is also my old PPC. I’m really not sure how I’d like working under either of them but they were both good dudes a few years ago.

I also know the super JO (if you’re a giant nerd and do weapons school/level 5 stuff you can do this for disassociated sea tour) at 47. She absolutely hates it but I’m not sure if that is due to her being a weirdo who hates fun or a bad command climate.

Beyond those two I don’t have any recent experience with them. I think I’m the only other VP officer that posts in here, but hopefully someone else knows something more. Once you find out where you’re going I can probably ask around to see what the deal is.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

maffew buildings posted:

I wouldn't put it past a nuke to just wear one sock like normal to watch with those rules.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Appreciate the advice. Thats interesting to hear the mixed opinion of 47, our class has two PXOs (one heading to VP-16 and the VP-47 one) and I really like the 47 PXO so I was actually looking at that one. I'll have to do some more snooping around.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I don't know much about the VP community, since they're probably the most isolated group in naval aviation outside of the TACAMO guys. I'd recommend picking the squadron with the coolest patch. That way even if the squadron sucks, you'll at least have a sweet patch to put on your jacket, and that's what really matters.

Being a super JO is normally an awesome gig, but I wouldn't put it past VP to find a way to make it suck.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
A lot of what was frustrating for the current iteration of Super JO’s is the weird place they sort of fit into in the squadron. With the P-8 transition, they were supposed to help to push new tactics and try to get the community to change up how we do things. The issue is that they have to push back against pretty much everyone senior to them in the squadron to do that. So that’s like 8 DH’s, a bunch of chiefs secretly, and the front office. They usually wind up just getting stuck with all of the poo poo jobs the DH’s can get away with pushing off on them. Experiences may vary but that seemed to be what I was seeing with the first wave or two of them.

WRT 47, I wouldn’t judge it based on anecdotal evidence from someone like my friend. Usually having a good front office can help to change things for the better. It’s nice to know someone like a PXO that may be able to advocate for you later as well if you wind up in the same squadron. Eventually you’ll be competing with your peers for Mission Commander and Instructor TACCO spots.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I'm still alive. Sucks about C5F, I used to brief that guy on a weekly basis. He seemed very calm and mild-mannered, but very thorough and methodical in his analysis of poo poo. If you got up to brief him, you getting know the subject matter inside and out.

Watched one dude get up admit that he was the stand-in for the guy who generated the brief because the guy was out sick, and Sterno calmly said "then let's just re-schedule this for when the actual SME shows back up".

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wonder Free posted:

A lot of what was frustrating for the current iteration of Super JO’s is the weird place they sort of fit into in the squadron. With the P-8 transition, they were supposed to help to push new tactics and try to get the community to change up how we do things. The issue is that they have to push back against pretty much everyone senior to them in the squadron to do that. So that’s like 8 DH’s, a bunch of chiefs secretly, and the front office. They usually wind up just getting stuck with all of the poo poo jobs the DH’s can get away with pushing off on them. Experiences may vary but that seemed to be what I was seeing with the first wave or two of them.

WRT 47, I wouldn’t judge it based on anecdotal evidence from someone like my friend. Usually having a good front office can help to change things for the better. It’s nice to know someone like a PXO that may be able to advocate for you later as well if you wind up in the same squadron. Eventually you’ll be competing with your peers for Mission Commander and Instructor TACCO spots.

Awesome! Good to know

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Appreciate the advice. Thats interesting to hear the mixed opinion of 47, our class has two PXOs (one heading to VP-16 and the VP-47 one) and I really like the 47 PXO so I was actually looking at that one. I'll have to do some more snooping around.

FYI it's pretty easy to be the cool guy when you're just a PXO doing a refresher.

I don't know poo poo about VP but VP-1 had a pretty bad rep while I was there (which was like 6 years ago so that doesn't really mean anything now). You're going to be a single dude in Whidbey, which isn't ideal for nightlife. Highly recommend you and some buddies spring for a crash pad in Seattle.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

vulturesrow posted:

FYI it's pretty easy to be the cool guy when you're just a PXO doing a refresher.

I don't know poo poo about VP but VP-1 had a pretty bad rep while I was there (which was like 6 years ago so that doesn't really mean anything now). You're going to be a single dude in Whidbey, which isn't ideal for nightlife. Highly recommend you and some buddies spring for a crash pad in Seattle.

Good to know, thanks man!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1073636780648353792

The latest DIRCOM to hit the Fleet

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mattis better hate-deploy all these reserve fuckers to afghanistan

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Everyone loves DILDOs

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EBB posted:

mattis better hate-deploy all these reserve fuckers to afghanistan

What?????

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You volunteered ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Think Priebus needs the health insurance?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dorstein posted:

I think I’ve saved more on the sweet discount at Lowe’s than on health insurance.

It’s close.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Dorstein posted:

Speaking of which, anybody know how separating from the reserves affects Tricare eligibility? I expect I would lose coverage effective the date of separation, but maybe they let me keep it until the end of the CY?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

I think I’ve saved more on the sweet discount at Lowe’s than on health insurance.

It’s close.

The health insurance I'd get through work is more expensive than Tricare Reserve, but not that much more so I can pretty confidently say I've saved more at Lowe's and Home Depot than on health insurance.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Gray Matter posted:

Speaking of which, anybody know how separating from the reserves affects Tricare eligibility? I expect I would lose coverage effective the date of separation, but maybe they let me keep it until the end of the CY?

For AD it cuts off immediately unless you're enrolled in a special program like TAMP (you're probably not).

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Godholio posted:

For AD it cuts off immediately unless you're enrolled in a special program like TAMP (you're probably not).
Yeah I received TAMP after separating from active last year - it ran for 6 months and iirc doesn't apply to reservists. I'm thinking ahead here to 2020 when the reserves end of my contract is up (or preferably an early out to IRR if I can score some affordable healthcare)

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sup cuties just wanted to thank y'all for your services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

Sup cuties just wanted to thank y'all for your services.

Sir this is an Arbies drive through.