Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ooh this is interesting:

quote:

Records of Irish people who emigrated to Canada during the Great Famine have been translated to English and put online.

Millions of people were forced to leave Ireland during the famine and many made their way to Montreal, Canada.
Some of the emigrants were cared for by the Grey Nuns in fever sheds in the city. The nuns kept records of correspondence relating to the Irish parents.

The archives also contain testimonies from Irish children who were orphaned and adopted by French Canadian families.

Might help some brick walls come down there. Link is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

Ooh this is interesting:

Might help some brick walls come down there. Link is here.

Nice. My wife's family was Irish and then French Canadian, but no one knows anything about the Irish part.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Man, these priests with their clever latinate abbreviations. I know that 1mo 8br 1782 means 1st October 1782 but it still trips me up like every other time.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Woot, go FTDNA. 40% off mtDNA ($139) and Y-DNA ($99) tests. Use codes Merry5 or Merry10 for 5% off any order under $100 or 10% off any over. Those expire Dec. 9th.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Italian Civil Records and 1901 Ireland Census released by FamilySearch today

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Oracle posted:

Oh, and a little story about why you test multiple relatives: my dad and his sister only share 31% of their DNA. They are full siblings. (Half siblings share about 25% on average, full about 50% but it’s just that, an average). They each have relatively close matches that show up not at all for the other. My aunt got a lot more of my Grandmother’s Irish genes and my dad more of my grandfathers but they both got some of those pesky French-Canadian genes from grandpa that give you a jillion matches and their share of grandpas German line (his mother was one of 21, three full and 18 half-siblings) so it’s certain they’re full siblings (grandma is about 90% Irish with a smattering of Colonial English and Dutch).

Found this thread specifically to ask this question, so thanks! I did Ancestry last year and was considering giving my mom and grandmother DNA tests for Christmas. Since they're pretty aware of the health issues life is going to throw at them, I figured it would be best to just also have them go through Ancestry for direct comparison.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Friend posted:

Found this thread specifically to ask this question, so thanks! I did Ancestry last year and was considering giving my mom and grandmother DNA tests for Christmas. Since they're pretty aware of the health issues life is going to throw at them, I figured it would be best to just also have them go through Ancestry for direct comparison.

Depending on what you want to do with it, you can go ancestry or you can go FTDNA (which will store the DNA if you later decide you want to run an mtDNA test on say your grandmother) or 23&Me (if you want to do health stuff, though again that's kind of a crapshoot thanks to the relative infancy of the science, minus obvious genes like the ones for Parkinson's or BRCA for breast cancer, and of course epigenetics). You can always do direct comparisons by uploading to gedmatch for free, or to FTDNA or MyHeritage (I would suggest uploading to both since if you're on the lookout for relatives you're going to want to fish in many ponds as it were).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

23&me recently got bought by a pharmaceutical. Just putting that out there in case anyone has ethical issues with that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
These services share DNA with cops. If you have ethical concerns I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

DNA sharing has good aspects too. We’ve got a friend whose only real hope is they figure out a treatment for her particularly rare liver cancer using her DNA.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Oracle posted:

Depending on what you want to do with it, you can go ancestry or you can go FTDNA (which will store the DNA if you later decide you want to run an mtDNA test on say your grandmother) or 23&Me (if you want to do health stuff, though again that's kind of a crapshoot thanks to the relative infancy of the science, minus obvious genes like the ones for Parkinson's or BRCA for breast cancer, and of course epigenetics). You can always do direct comparisons by uploading to gedmatch for free, or to FTDNA or MyHeritage (I would suggest uploading to both since if you're on the lookout for relatives you're going to want to fish in many ponds as it were).

I haven't heard of FTDNA or MyHeritage, I'll try to check those out tomorrow more in-depth, but what is the benefit of doing an mtDNA test over a regular ol' DNA test?

I added mine to gedmatch and didn't find enough to warrant keeping it on there. I uploaded mine (and my wife's) through Promethease though and got a bunch of health info and that was sufficient; I will most likely die of cancer or heart issues problems which is exactly what I expected considering my parents, but the best part was learning that I have a gene for increased empathy, and my wife has the opposite. I try not to bring that up constantly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Krispy Wafer posted:

These services share DNA with cops. If you have ethical concerns I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

DNA sharing has good aspects too. We’ve got a friend whose only real hope is they figure out a treatment for her particularly rare liver cancer using her DNA.

Yeah, true.

Regarding my hamlet research, I'm gonna have to set a deadline for myself cause otherwise I'll never finish. I do only need to match up two cadastral numbers with the older house numbers, which in essence is only needing to match one of them (and the other will follow), but I've literally spent a year looking through thousands of documents. It's ridiculous. One more visit to the archives and I'm calling it done. I want to look at other things for once!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Friend posted:

I haven't heard of FTDNA or MyHeritage, I'll try to check those out tomorrow more in-depth, but what is the benefit of doing an mtDNA test over a regular ol' DNA test?

I added mine to gedmatch and didn't find enough to warrant keeping it on there. I uploaded mine (and my wife's) through Promethease though and got a bunch of health info and that was sufficient; I will most likely die of cancer or heart issues problems which is exactly what I expected considering my parents, but the best part was learning that I have a gene for increased empathy, and my wife has the opposite. I try not to bring that up constantly.

mtDNA is.. well I'll let them tell you:

quote:

What is mtDNA?

mtDNA refers to mitochondrial DNA which is passed from mother to child. While men receive mitochondrial DNA from their mother, they do not pass it on to their children. Testing mtDNA allows for investigation into your maternal line and can help identify living relatives whose mtDNA is similar to yours, as well as ancient migration routes your maternal ancestors may have taken.
What is a Haplogroup?

Every individual who takes one of our mtDNA tests will also receive their mtDNA haplogroup. When humans left Africa tens of thousands of years ago, they departed in small groups that migrated into different parts of the world. Over many generations, each group developed distinct mutations allowing us to identify one from the other. We call these groups of mutations haplogroups, and they can tell us which migratory routes our maternal ancestors traveled.

Will I find out what countries my Mother's family is from with mtDNA testing?

mtDNA testing will not be able to identify specific countries that your maternal ancestors came from. mtDNA mutates slowly which allows you to find out ancient information (such as your haplogroup), and will not help you learn about your more recent (within the past 200-500 years) origins. However, you can use mtDNA results with your personal genealogy research to contact your matches to find out more about where your common ancestors may be from.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

omg lmao

I was looking through my printed sources on the hamlet to make sure I hadn't missed anything, and this one short 1994 article disagreed with my interpretation of a document, and was written by a guy with a somewhat unusual name. So I google him and and he literally put up a google drive of his research into that specific hamlet this June! :pwn:

There are literally 100 documents – one for each house, registers of names, historical events, some with photos or maps, but most are text — its a total of about 1 GB :aaaaa:

I've been trying to comb through sources on this hamlet for one year, this guy's been doing it for 25... Lord, I am humbled.

Good news: we are not in disagreement as I first thought, and also he came to the same conclusion about my ancestor's origin! Also, I've written him to exchange results (I may have some photos of copyhold agreements and such he'd be interested in).

Christ. Talk about timing.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 14, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

NERRRRRD! (that's cool)

I inter-library loaned a book on one of my more unusual Irish surnames and found a letter in it to the author from one of my distant cousins from the 90's. I basically just took photographs of the entire book so I can go over it again later since they only let you have it for two weeks I need to put into a pdf or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea I scan/photo a lot of library loans. I actually have to return 5 books next week, half of which I pretty much scanned in entirety

Btw, the Danish Royal Library has a thing where you can get literally any book published in Denmark before 1900 sent to you as a PDF for free (so many times already, I've made them scan weird small-print accidentalia* just cause I thought the title was interesting). I kinda feel bad, otoh now it's scanned and available for others :haw:

*) not sure if there's an English word, but here this is used for "occasional, insignificant" printings

Anyway, I know of google & hathitrust &c, is there a library that will scan on demand for free in America (for American citizens perhaps)? Perhaps we could set up an informal exchange?

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 14, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Anyway, I know of google & hathitrust &c, is there a library that will scan on demand for free in America (for American citizens perhaps)? Perhaps we could set up an informal exchange?

This is America honey nothing is free. Unless its in the public domain and someone's thrown it up on google books or the Gutenberg Project or something.

Looks like a lot of universities offer it for some of their collections, e.g. Stanford (if you're student/staff/faculty)
Library of Congress offers something like it too. Plus side it doesn't say you have to be a citizen or anything but there is a fee and if its not already digitized it'll likely not be quick.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I know, nothing's free. :)

I've noticed though, that sometimes a book will be available on google but not on hathitrust, or vice versa; although it's way more often the latter — hathitrust has helped me out a lot. And I've also noticed that sometimes I can't get access to a book from say 1890, just because I'm from a Danish IP.

So I was thinking that if any of us is looking for a specific old book, we could talk about it here and maybe someone else in here would be able to help out. Only old books, naturally. To be clear: I'm not interested in books newer than the Great War.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Here's another thing:

Noted at a burial on August 31, 1760:
"NB: [NN's wife] of this village; buried by the husband himself with the same ceremony as by a priest. ~ he received forgiveness" (for unofficial burial)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Krankenstyle posted:

I know, nothing's free. :)

I've noticed though, that sometimes a book will be available on google but not on hathitrust, or vice versa; although it's way more often the latter — hathitrust has helped me out a lot. And I've also noticed that sometimes I can't get access to a book from say 1890, just because I'm from a Danish IP.

My rule of thumb has generally been “If Google Books returns a search result that they’ve clearly scanned by a university library but won’t show users for unknown reasons that clearly aren’t copyright related, HathiTrust will have it.”

For some reason I think the college libraries who are members of HathiTrust have asked Google to not display them on Google Books despite the fact that Google did the scanning.

No idea why though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea I generally have the best luck with hathittrust. I don't even have a specific example, it was just a thing that came to me. Anyway I'm gonna let yall know when I want you to break international copyright treaties :o:

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

ComradeCosmobot posted:

My rule of thumb has generally been “If Google Books returns a search result that they’ve clearly scanned by a university library but won’t show users for unknown reasons that clearly aren’t copyright related, HathiTrust will have it.”

For some reason I think the college libraries who are members of HathiTrust have asked Google to not display them on Google Books despite the fact that Google did the scanning.

No idea why though.

OK don't doxx me. I am a academic librarian and I send materials to HathiTrust. The Authors Guild lawsuit is one reason it won't show up in Google Books I believe. All of the books Google scanned from mpow were embargoed during the lawsuit and after because of it. The university's lawyers had to sign off on making them available. Also, I think that Google Books only contains this items scanned by Google or are in the U.S. Public Domain. So mpow digitizes in house now and sends them to HathiTrust.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

nashona posted:

OK don't doxx me. I am a academic librarian and I send materials to HathiTrust. The Authors Guild lawsuit is one reason it won't show up in Google Books I believe. All of the books Google scanned from mpow were embargoed during the lawsuit and after because of it. The university's lawyers had to sign off on making them available. Also, I think that Google Books only contains this items scanned by Google or are in the U.S. Public Domain. So mpow digitizes in house now and sends them to HathiTrust.

The first part about a general embargo on books scanned after a certain date may be. There are definitely 19th century books (clearly out of copyright) that HathiTrust has that are “scanned by Google” that Google itself won’t show.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anybody got access to Irish records on FindMyPast? My local library doesn't subscribe to it :P

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sorry :shrug:

I found another baptism date for my hometown ancestors with the burned church registers! Went through an 1802 list of able-bodied men who could be drafted for the king's navy. They're all listed with their age, but for some reason about 10-12 of them have added baptismal dates, most in the 1770s and 1790s (but not 1780s :confused:).

I don't see a pattern to why only these men have added dates, but one of them is my great5-grandfather, baptized on August 11, 1776 so that's cool. Just wish whoever had added dates for everyone!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao, hamlet status isnt very encouraging. Below a comparison of my results, the results of the other guy, and the most recent source I found.

Practically no agreement at all...
:negative:

e: matricula should say cadastre

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 29, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/MichaelSLaufer/status/1081057982324961281

Not that this is really a shock, but figure people might be interested

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ancestry is offering 50% off 6 month subscriptions for both US and world. This is probably as good as it gets deal wise and usually happens at this time of year (which is why I usually reup at this time of year every year, and do it again in July after cancelling when they offer some 4th of July special or whatever for about the same amount off). It's good until Jan 7 so jump on it now (may not apply for those outside the US).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao just got an email that opens like this:

quote:

Dear [Krankenstyle]

I've just now discovered that I received an email from you 10 years ago regarding the name [family name].

:stare:

I guess he was busy a decade ago, but now that his 80th 81st birthday is coming up (jan 20) he has more time lol

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 10, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hahah probably going to become more common as people hold onto email addresses. I still have mine from college and that was over 20 years ago. I've gotten replies from people a year or two late but ten years is pretty good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, mine's a gmail from when they launched (2004 i think) but I too have my emails dating back another 5 or so years (though a mail client migration somewhere along the way hosed up the oldest ones so they're all dated on the same date/time in 2001 and their encoding is a mess).

Gonna be interesting to see what he says. According to my grandmother's brother's memoirs, the grandfather of this guy paid for an ancestry tree to be made in the 1940s. Wonder what that looks like & how far back it goes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hmm

https://twitter.com/timmaughan/status/1086249171240316928

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also, Swedish https://www.arkivdigital.se has free access from now until Sunday

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah that's not real surprising. The whole ethnicity thing is a crapshoot once you get past continental level (e.g. african, european, asian, native american). There's just too much intermixing. Viking invasions, Gallic wars, migration etc.

And finally! A weekend I have mostly free!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea we've been talking about it in yospos:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847958&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=943#post491765750 (continues on following page)

let me know if you need any translating :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Yea we've been talking about it in yospos:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847958&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=943#post491765750 (continues on following page)

let me know if you need any translating :)

You are my favorite Swede-adjacent poster. (Nordic? Scandanavian? Dike-poker? What do we call you again?)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a Danish Dane :D

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

My favorite Danish Dame it is! ;)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Krankenstyle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBcJZ3-cJKc&t=40s

jk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no, Stig Helmer is pretty much right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ancestry's having a Valentine's Day sale (in the US at least) $59 dollars on their homepage, click the banner link. Goes til 2/14.