Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Logically, i know that. But being the product of a divorced couple, my brokebrains keep telling me to stay.

Also, "reigniting" anything with her sounds terrible tbh. I just want my space.

This is what your kids will be like in their 30s, just so you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fermented Tinal posted:

This is what your kids will be like in their 30s, just so you know.

MODS

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hey guys happy Friday what is going on in :ohno:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Queen Combat posted:

TEACH ME YOUR WAYS

I have to admit that made me laugh.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hey guys happy Friday what is going on in :ohno:

Yeah, that went off the rails quick. Not as bad as some, but definitely uncomfortable.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Eh it's the end of 2018... y'all must just be getting the "gently caress 2018"s out now.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

Eh it's the end of 2018... y'all must just be getting the "gently caress 2018"s out now.

Didn't you read? My attempt to get the gently caress 2018s out was shot down.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Can't gently caress 2018, can't gently caress some dude's wife, can't gently caress anything

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
What the gently caress did I just read

Adiabatic posted:

I.... cant honestly say 2018 has been in any shape a bad year. Tiring but not bad. Certainly been very different in parts.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

angryrobots posted:

Can't gently caress 2018, can't gently caress some dude's wife, can't gently caress anything

You can always gently caress your own life up!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I.... cant honestly say 2018 has been in any shape a bad year. Tiring but not bad. Certainly been very different in parts.

My 2018 was excellent. Rough start but turned that poo poo around fast.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
2018 has been weird. For myself: excellent. For the world at large: holy poo poo bad

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

:same: but expensive. this year has been expensive.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's been fine. Mostly.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Bought a house and had a kid here, I don't want to think about what would make this year more expensive. Pretty good on my end though!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Did you spend it on anything nice?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have mixed and strong feelings about 2018.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Not the worst year on record for myself. Not a great one, but not the worst.

December has been absolutely nuts though.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Could be worse!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

spog posted:

Did you spend it on anything nice?

Not really. Our grocery budget was insanity this year. What amounted to a terrible bit of food poisoning while out of town on work resulted in an ambulance ride and stay in the hospital and was four grand which covered my insurance premiums for the year. We fenced our yard with vinyl to the tune of~$7500(but nice to have). My wife was diagnosed celiac last year after the birth of our third so she has been working with a functional :airquote:doctor:airquote: expensive nutritionist which involves a lot of lab testing to find out what certain levels are for different things and then supplements and diet associated with the results to get her levels back in line, which leads back to the first thing mentioned. I don't want to talk about our grocery budget which has rivaled (and probably surpassed) my mortgage payments this year. None of the tests are covered by insurance.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Because of course they're not. Why would health issues be covered by health insurance.
Ask me about the insurance industry's recognition of the psoriatic arthritis that my wife has versus osteoarthritis none.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It’s almost like 2018 was a decent year. New job, no major injuries, no major expenses. Cars projects have been slow, but that’s nothing new.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

With this newfound EMT kick I've been watching medical videos to see if I'm too squeamish.

I just watched an appendectomy with the couple incisions and the camera and I cannot believe the weird parallels between surgery and working on a car.

Alright who needs their appendix removed?

I know I'm a bit late with this but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTVzpkb3vZw

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Not really. Our grocery budget was insanity this year. What amounted to a terrible bit of food poisoning while out of town on work resulted in an ambulance ride and stay in the hospital and was four grand which covered my insurance premiums for the year. We fenced our yard with vinyl to the tune of~$7500(but nice to have). My wife was diagnosed celiac last year after the birth of our third so she has been working with a functional :airquote:doctor:airquote: expensive nutritionist which involves a lot of lab testing to find out what certain levels are for different things and then supplements and diet associated with the results to get her levels back in line, which leads back to the first thing mentioned. I don't want to talk about our grocery budget which has rivaled (and probably surpassed) my mortgage payments this year. None of the tests are covered by insurance.

Jeez. Is Mrs Heroic okay now?

In my news, I got around to sorting through a big pile of dull letters that I had been avoiding filing: insurance renewal advice, statements, etc and this literally happened to me:

I'm going to enter a beauty contest next week.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Same. I have spent more than I even thought possible in 2018.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

spog posted:

Jeez. Is Mrs Heroic okay now?

Yeah she is feeling better than she has since the diagnosis but still has some ways to go. It is equally challenging from an emotional perspective as it is a drastic lifestyle/social change. She has not eaten from a restaurant in over 15 months. Not once. She(we) has had to make every single meal.

everdave posted:

But you have cool imported cars to show for it!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Not really. Our grocery budget was insanity this year.

I don't want to talk about our grocery budget which has rivaled (and probably surpassed) my mortgage payments this year.

Since you mention it twice... You are using a credit card with rewards to take advantage of all that grocery spend yeah?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah she is feeling better than she has since the diagnosis but still has some ways to go. It is equally challenging from an emotional perspective as it is a drastic lifestyle/social change. She has not eaten from a restaurant in over 15 months. Not once. She(we) has had to make every single meal.

Yeah, I can see how that would suck, but I'm guessing having a happy gut makes up for it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So between 3 of my 4 spinning HDs all breaking 7 years of actual power on time (1 has over 8 years power-on), and being out of space....

Right now I have a 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, and "4TB" (but the way it was partitioned from the factory, I can only use 3TB on it.. didn't realize until I had a substantial amount of data on it, and since it's external with a special snowflake controller, I can't extend the partition... or do anything with the unused space without blowing away what's on the drive now).

It's HDD upgrade time!

I'm all HGST right now, except for the external Western Digital (which is packed just as full). What brands are decent these days? I was thinking a pair of 8TBs (one internal, one external for backups), and also keep the existing 4TB for less important stuff. Or would an external 8TB and a pair of internal 4TBs be a better price?

Looks like HGST is mostly enterprise stuff now, but there's a lot of "low hour OEM" drives out there for cheap (which means no warranty). :ohdear:

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

everdave posted:

This is my first year living and renting in Copenhagen, so this is true for me as well :suicide:

Speaking of blowing big sums of money, can someone recommend me a mid-high end phone? Until now I've been buying whatever Samsung Galaxy S model is a couple of years old and they have served me well up until my current S6, which I'm only about 15 months into the ownership of and is already beginning to feel worse than the previous phone did 3 years in, things are bugging out weirdly, the samsung firmware is shitawful (no, I don't need to see an ad for spotify every time I turn on the music player) and most recently the GPS is doing weird stuff. Basically, I'm looking for something that is similar in terms of build quality/screen/camera but not made by Samsung. Are Huaweis good? I don't really know that much about phones.

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 15, 2018

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Since you mention it twice... You are using a credit card with rewards to take advantage of all that grocery spend yeah?

Oh yeah. We have one account that we funnel everything through. No using debit cards when people steal info. I’ve had it happen once. Best is double dipping with Costco since we have an executive membership and get back our membership fees + more every year.

And yes not being sick is worth whatever it costs.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

STR posted:

I'm all HGST right now, except for the external Western Digital (which is packed just as full). What brands are decent these days? I was thinking a pair of 8TBs (one internal, one external for backups), and also keep the existing 4TB for less important stuff. Or would an external 8TB and a pair of internal 4TBs be a better price?

Looks like HGST is mostly enterprise stuff now, but there's a lot of "low hour OEM" drives out there for cheap (which means no warranty). :ohdear:

FWIW when I needed to buy new drives a year ago, I asked my friend who had done a ton of research before he bought a bunch of drives for work and the answer was HGST. I bought this one but there are 8GB (and larger) ones available.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Queen Combat posted:

2018 has been weird. For myself: excellent. For the world at large: holy poo poo bad

:same:

Got my degree, and as crazy as the other stuff has been I feel good going through with it. Still gotta figure out what my new long term plans are and start job hunting for real but that'll come with time.

For now my short term goal is finally fix my transmission that I've had the parts for since 2 weeks ago. Compartmentalizing is good!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Grakkus posted:

This is my first year living and renting in Copenhagen, so this is true for me as well :suicide:

Speaking of blowing big sums of money, can someone recommend me a mid-high end phone? Until now I've been buying whatever Samsung Galaxy S model is a couple of years old and they have served me well up until my current S6, which I'm only about 15 months into the ownership of and is already beginning to feel worse than the previous phone did 3 years in, things are bugging out weirdly, the samsung firmware is shitawful (no, I don't need to see an ad for spotify every time I turn on the music player) and most recently the GPS is doing weird stuff. Basically, I'm looking for something that is similar in terms of build quality/screen/camera but not made by Samsung. Are Huaweis good? I don't really know that much about phones.

I get what you're saying, but my s9 is so much better than previous version imho. The software is barely annoying.
If you don't want a headphone jack, the new pixel isn't truly mindblowing, but the software is great.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

2018 would have been a pretty good year for me. I've collected enough parts over the last couple of years to work on all my projects whenever I have time. My job is seasonal so I have no time in the summer for much and in the winter more time than money.

This is the year where Im finally pretty good at time management for the seasons and especially my own time during the week getting work scheduled and completed on time. I always have to deal with the weather but I've got that down pretty good now too.

All of that combined with finding a new doctor who is really good. He got me to care about my health a lot more and to finally take care of my mental health. My mental health was ruining my life in way bigger ways than I realized.

I don't think I mentioned it in this thread only my own but I lost my best friend this summer. We had been living together for a couple of years but she was regressing to using drugs and not working any more and just taking advantage of our friendship with me taking care of all the bills. She tried going to rehab a couple of times but kept leaving so I had to kick her out to go live with her dad and go to rehab and stay clean. I told her she could leave her stuff here and get it after she had gotten out of rehab but I hoped that she was going to stay clean this time and she could stay here. I didn't tell her that part because I wanted her to do everything for herself, not me. It really seemed like she was ready to quit this time. Eventually I was going to ask her to marry me. We had talked about that for like ten years on and off, she was my best friend and I loved her more than anyone else by a lot. She always had problems with drugs and we both did previously so I wasn't one to judge and I never did. After my mom died me and her were Sid and Nancy, Kurt and Courtney or insert whatever bad example of a co-dependent couple youd like. I just never wanted to spend my life with a junkie since I had been one and I know the life and it never ends well.

The last time I saw her she came to the house to get something and she came up to me all excited telling me she quit D (we called it dope, d for short) and of course I had that flicker of hope I'd had a million times before over the last 20 years we knew each other. Anyone who knows an addict has had it. That hope combined with despair it might happen again feeling. Excited but cautious. Hopeful but wary. I came home for lunch on July 3rd and got a text from her brother that she was gone. Didn't say what it was but I knew. All he said was that she had passed and that he knew how much she loved me. God I miss her so much. I think about her constantly. I have dreams where she's still alive all the time.

I can't say 2018 was poo poo since that is going to last more than just the end of this year. Definitely until the end of my life. I lost my mom when I was 24 so I know how it goes. Can't be mad about it and there's nothing to do but live and enjoy life. All of it. Even the lovely stuff because there are amazing things too. The unexpected ones are always the best ones and a lot of little good things make large good ones.

My sister and I are really close to our great aunt and uncle. They weren't able to have kids so when we came along they sort of adopted us as their own. They've had as much of an influence on our lives as our parents have for sure. They were really close with our mother too and when she died we were really lucky to all have each other. They are getting really old now, into their 80s so my sister and I talk about how much we will miss them when they are gone. I was over her house yesterday fixing her car and we talked about that a lot. They are both healthy as they can be for being old but still. My aunt helps me with my tax book. She's really good at it but it's mostly so we just can spend that time together. Earlier this week we set up a time to meet up so I could give her my receipts and stuff like that and my uncle was going to uconn today so it being just me and her we decided to go out to eat and make it a date. I was looking forward to it all week and we had a blast today just talking about my nephews and how much we like Vermont, she grew up there, and it was just a great time. Telling her my stories and listening to hers.

I think a lot about what the last few moments of my life might be like. We all are going to have to face that, it's the absolute universal experience that every single person is going to have eventually. What will you think about? What will you want to think about? Definitely something that would make you smile, something that will make you feel good, some experience that made you feel real true undeniable love. It probably won't be some big huge thing like maybe graduating high school or getting married or finally the day you have enough to retire on and live the rest of your life without worry about getting up to go to work. For me it may be that kinda warm for the season slightly cloudy day I went to lunch with my aunt at The Chuck Wagon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

It's HDD upgrade time!

Cheapest out there is shucking a WD 8TB or 10TB external. Or just leave it in its case for easier warranty service if you don't mind having an external.

Next cheapest is getting a used drive from someone like GoHardDrive that offers their own warranty. I added some used HGST 8TB to my server this way because I didn't want to have to store a bunch of WD enclosures for warranty work. But my next round of upgrades will probably be shucked WDs because they're so much cheaper.

Outside of those, take your pick from new Toshiba, new HGST, or new WD. Only one I'd still avoid is Seagate, since the last time I tried them, literally every one was either DOA or died within the burn in process.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

I get what you're saying, but my s9 is so much better than previous version imho. The software is barely annoying.

Agreed. This S9+ is better than my old 6p in every way, and I really liked the 6p. I tried the S8+ a few months ago, but it wasn't that much better than the 6p... but the 9 really seems to hit the mark.

Sure there are a couple annoyances ( keyboard, mostly), but I agree, it's not that much of a detraction.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

shy boy from chess club posted:

2018 would have been a pretty good year for me. I've collected enough parts over the last couple of years to work on all my projects whenever I have time. My job is seasonal so I have no time in the summer for much and in the winter more time than money.

This is the year where Im finally pretty good at time management for the seasons and especially my own time during the week getting work scheduled and completed on time. I always have to deal with the weather but I've got that down pretty good now too.

All of that combined with finding a new doctor who is really good. He got me to care about my health a lot more and to finally take care of my mental health. My mental health was ruining my life in way bigger ways than I realized.

I don't think I mentioned it in this thread only my own but I lost my best friend this summer. We had been living together for a couple of years but she was regressing to using drugs and not working any more and just taking advantage of our friendship with me taking care of all the bills. She tried going to rehab a couple of times but kept leaving so I had to kick her out to go live with her dad and go to rehab and stay clean. I told her she could leave her stuff here and get it after she had gotten out of rehab but I hoped that she was going to stay clean this time and she could stay here. I didn't tell her that part because I wanted her to do everything for herself, not me. It really seemed like she was ready to quit this time. Eventually I was going to ask her to marry me. We had talked about that for like ten years on and off, she was my best friend and I loved her more than anyone else by a lot. She always had problems with drugs and we both did previously so I wasn't one to judge and I never did. After my mom died me and her were Sid and Nancy, Kurt and Courtney or insert whatever bad example of a co-dependent couple youd like. I just never wanted to spend my life with a junkie since I had been one and I know the life and it never ends well.

The last time I saw her she came to the house to get something and she came up to me all excited telling me she quit D (we called it dope, d for short) and of course I had that flicker of hope I'd had a million times before over the last 20 years we knew each other. Anyone who knows an addict has had it. That hope combined with despair it might happen again feeling. Excited but cautious. Hopeful but wary. I came home for lunch on July 3rd and got a text from her brother that she was gone. Didn't say what it was but I knew. All he said was that she had passed and that he knew how much she loved me. God I miss her so much. I think about her constantly. I have dreams where she's still alive all the time.

I can't say 2018 was poo poo since that is going to last more than just the end of this year. Definitely until the end of my life. I lost my mom when I was 24 so I know how it goes. Can't be mad about it and there's nothing to do but live and enjoy life. All of it. Even the lovely stuff because there are amazing things too. The unexpected ones are always the best ones and a lot of little good things make large good ones.

My sister and I are really close to our great aunt and uncle. They weren't able to have kids so when we came along they sort of adopted us as their own. They've had as much of an influence on our lives as our parents have for sure. They were really close with our mother too and when she died we were really lucky to all have each other. They are getting really old now, into their 80s so my sister and I talk about how much we will miss them when they are gone. I was over her house yesterday fixing her car and we talked about that a lot. They are both healthy as they can be for being old but still. My aunt helps me with my tax book. She's really good at it but it's mostly so we just can spend that time together. Earlier this week we set up a time to meet up so I could give her my receipts and stuff like that and my uncle was going to uconn today so it being just me and her we decided to go out to eat and make it a date. I was looking forward to it all week and we had a blast today just talking about my nephews and how much we like Vermont, she grew up there, and it was just a great time. Telling her my stories and listening to hers.

I think a lot about what the last few moments of my life might be like. We all are going to have to face that, it's the absolute universal experience that every single person is going to have eventually. What will you think about? What will you want to think about? Definitely something that would make you smile, something that will make you feel good, some experience that made you feel real true undeniable love. It probably won't be some big huge thing like maybe graduating high school or getting married or finally the day you have enough to retire on and live the rest of your life without worry about getting up to go to work. For me it may be that kinda warm for the season slightly cloudy day I went to lunch with my aunt at The Chuck Wagon.

I'm going to try and.get out there in January, and if you aren't around, I'll be sad.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I'm gonna try to sneak to Florida for a couple weeks but otherwise I'll be holed up in the shop fixin stuff. Give me a heads up when you make like a baby and head out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nm posted:

If you don't want a headphone jack, the new pixel isn't truly mindblowing, but the software is great.
I decided to send my Black Friday 3XL back 24 hours after receiving it and just keeping my 2XL. It's good, but just not better enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I went from a S7 to a Pixel 3 on Black Friday, included an additional 1gb of data and my monthly rate remained unchanged. I opted to not go with the XL because I can't stand notches, so far I'm liking it, though honestly I didn't hate or have any issues with my S7. I didn't want a S8 or a S9 specifically because of the Bixby button.

So far I'm liking it but I really think the fingerprint sensor should do double-duty as a secondary home button. I find myself tapping it to go back to the home screen even though I know it doesn't do that on any phone that has a back fingerprint sensor.