Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Muscle Wizard posted:

i legit thought these were all the same person until i saw the names underneath.

I still refuse to believe they aren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

With a practiced eye you can identify wild Caucasians by their colorful plumage and whether their faces have spots.

Please remember while they may appear quite friendly they are EXTREMELY territorial and easily frightened. More aggressive is the cousin to the Caucasian, Porecellus-caucazoid. They are by far the most agressive sub species and shoud under no circumstance be approached.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Sedisp posted:

With a practiced eye you can identify wild Caucasians by their colorful plumage and whether their faces have spots.

Please remember while they may appear quite friendly they are EXTREMELY territorial and easily frightened. More aggressive is the cousin to the Caucasian, Porecellus-caucazoid. They are by far the most agressive sub species and shoud under no circumstance be approached.

:trumppop:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
it took me a bit to realize it too, I think partly because it made sense to me that the woman who had that idea would also have put herself on the poster three times

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

oh my god I want that

seriously, at 8 hours of work I’m already drained enough to not do anything actually fun or meaningful in the rest of that day, let me just work til the limit and pass out and have 4 free days a week that rules

I'm doing a 4 day week at the moment with 9 hour shifts.

Having a 3 day weekend is incredible. I can't even express how that extra day relaxes you, I can get everything I need done in two days and have one where I just do nothing.

I initially wanted to get the few extra hours of 5/8, but at this point having an entire goddamn day for me is worth losing that little bit of pay.

Maximum 4 day work week should be mandatory.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Having a 3 day weekend is incredible. I can't even express how that extra day relaxes you, I can get everything I need done in two days and have one where I just do nothing.

I initially wanted to get the few extra hours of 5/8, but at this point having an entire goddamn day for me is worth losing that little bit of pay.

Close, but instead of being mandatory, it should be a mandatory option. Workers should be free to decide how they do their work.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I work 3 12s as a machinist and frankly I don't think you can beat that. Having four days off is god drat amazing. It would suck more if I couldn't use my phone or if the job itself was boring and repetitive or whatever but it's the weekend and I rarely get bothered.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been going into work early and staying late since the first week of November because my customer changed their system and surprising nobody it was a poo poo show.

I just managed to claw my way out from under the poo poo/got a light couple days/broke and left on time the last two days.

I forgot how magical leaving on time is and I'm going to do it going forward because they don't pay me enough

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Len posted:

I've been going into work early and staying late since the first week of November because my customer changed their system and surprising nobody it was a poo poo show.

I just managed to claw my way out from under the poo poo/got a light couple days/broke and left on time the last two days.

I forgot how magical leaving on time is and I'm going to do it going forward because they don't pay me enough

Employees staying late or coming in early for no extra cash is worth more money then every other time of theft/robbery (other than to age theft) committed in the US per year.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Muscle Wizard posted:

i legit thought these were all the same person until i saw the names underneath.

haha same

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Miftan posted:

Employees staying late or coming in early for no extra cash is worth more money then every other time of theft/robbery (other than to age theft) committed in the US per year.

I'm at least getting overtime, not even getting yelled at for it! But my bosses aren't the kind that do things like say "you're doing a good job" or give any positive feedback. So all I'm doing is stressing myself out and getting bitched and I'm over it.

I burned my last two vacation days a couple weeks back. And when I'd returned my bosses has decided the customers purchase order wasn't actually an important piece of information to include on orders anymore. I asked them about it and was told very matter of factly that wasn't the PO and my customer didn't want us using it anymore.

So I went to my customer and said "Hey why am I being told we aren't using the number you said was the PO as the PO anymore?" and she went "that's a good question because that's absolutely the PO and nothing has changed" turns out our tech guy was just making poo poo up so that he could do his EDI translation easier. 20 minutes later it turned out I was right and knew what I was talking about.

They did an inventory of their material Tuesday which meant no shipping anything unless specifically cleared by the top bosses for our customer. My boss, who was the person that told me this, covered my desk that day. When I got back to my cubicle at 3pm we had almost 20 orders set to ship. When I asked her about it she assured me they were all cleared to ship. Since I'm an rear end in a top hat I walked upstairs with the list of orders and went "heres everything that we have set to go out today what's allowed to ship." Three orders out of the whole mess was cleared to ship and my boss was just doing whatever she felt like.

Rant over. Death to corporate America.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Len posted:

Rant over. Death to corporate America.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Megillah Gorilla posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/world/asia/four-day-workweek-new-zealand.html

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Lpzie posted:

this is such a loving reach and maybe not even the right place for it but here goes. back when lf was around, i remember seeing a cartoon video posted of some dwarves or elves or some poo poo living in harmony with nature and then the industry revolution happened to them and there were huge smokestacks and poo poo got hosed quick. kinda wanna find that. peace (gently caress the rich)

Ferngully.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I haven’t worked for amazon and I could fully believe it’s uniquely terrible in a way that negates this, but ive worked warehouse jobs on both 8x5 and 10x4 schedule and idk I never noticed the extra two hours while I was already tired compared to an entire free day

My schedule is currently 5x 10 hour days and I could really use that 3rd weekend day. :smith:

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
mad jealous of my homies with the 3 or 4 day weekends. that poo poo loving owns.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Sjs00 posted:

Ferngully.

It's Wizards, Ralph Bakshi's fuckin' Wizards.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Working 12 hour shifts, alternating three and four day weeks. Have to agree it's really nice, and the overtime pay doesn't hurt either.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've had a lot of three day weekends the last few months and it really does rule

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The company I work at used to do four day work weeks until one of the dickhead higher-ups read something somewhere about it being bad somehow and changed it to five day weeks despite all the actual workers unanimously wanting to keep the schedule as it was. It was right before I started but all the old timers talk about great it was and how said higher-up is a useless dipshit (which I've learned is completely true)

Three day weekends sound amazing :negative:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Admiral Bosch posted:

I work 3 12s as a machinist and frankly I don't think you can beat that. Having four days off is god drat amazing. It would suck more if I couldn't use my phone or if the job itself was boring and repetitive or whatever but it's the weekend and I rarely get bothered.

out of curiosity how much do you get paid as a machinist

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

chaleski posted:

The company I work at used to do four day work weeks until one of the dickhead higher-ups read something somewhere about it being bad somehow and changed it to five day weeks despite all the actual workers unanimously wanting to keep the schedule as it was. It was right before I started but all the old timers talk about great it was and how said higher-up is a useless dipshit (which I've learned is completely true)

Three day weekends sound amazing :negative:

its sort of a religion in management to never listen to your employees. its how management consultants make a buck, by telling peeps what their employees have been tellin em

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shear Modulus posted:

out of curiosity how much do you get paid as a machinist
I used to be a machinist.

Worked a few different jobs, a few different titles:
  • Off-the-street greenhorn: $12/hr
  • Production Machinist: ~$13/hr
  • Set-Up Machinist: ~$15/hr
Did set-ups for mostly 3-axis and 5-axis VMCs.

For the majority, I expect industry pay to keep going down. Labor/skill requirements decline all the more as the machine improve, and they never stop improving. *

edit: If you're thinking about machining, focus on programming or prototyping. The ones I worked with all had wages in the twenties and thirties.

edit 2:

* You can watch this in real time today. Last shop I worked up, we had a job that previously would've tied up a bunch of people for a week on multiple machines. Except that we had just bought this crazy machine that could:
  • Mill and Turn
  • Machine two parts simultaneously
  • Load and unload itself
  • Pass parts between tables

So instead of that order being a week of work for bunch of people, it was a few days work for a few people. And mostly all they did was sit on a stool and debur parts (which is 'minimum-wage newbie' work).

And this tremendous gain in productivity? There's no profit sharing. They're stingy on wages. All the benefits of this great new machine accrue to the owners and no one else. Certainly not the workers who maintain it, program it, set it up and run it.

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 20:36 on Dec 15, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its sort of a religion in management to never listen to your employees. its how management consultants make a buck, by telling peeps what their employees have been tellin em

Consultants automatically seem smarter by virtue of not being dumb enough to work at your company.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

clearly if the employees said anything worth listening to they would be managers

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Shear Modulus posted:

clearly if the employees said anything worth listening to they would be managers

So there's something wrong fundamentally huh

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ideally workers would just get wage increases in line with their increased productivity and people could just work like three or four eight hour days in general

It's more important for billionaires to have 20 mansions though so whatcha gonna do.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Three or four day weekends sound nice but does it make the Sunday Scaries more intense??

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Accretionist posted:

And this tremendous gain in productivity? There's no profit sharing. They're stingy on wages. All the benefits of this great new machine accrue to the owners and no one else. Certainly not the workers who maintain it, program it, set it up and run it.

:thermidor:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Three or four day weekends sound nice but does it make the Sunday Scaries more intense??

You turn it into Miserable Mondays

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Muscle Wizard posted:

mad jealous of my homies with the 3 or 4 day weekends. that poo poo loving owns.

Be a substitute teacher (not joking).

I get 18$ an hour and can choose when/where I want to work. I only sub on days I'm not doing my real job and I know several people who do it full time.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

spacetoaster posted:

Be a substitute teacher (not joking).

I get 18$ an hour and can choose when/where I want to work. I only sub on days I'm not doing my real job and I know several people who do it full time.

thank you for your service, but i'd rather do back breaking labor than be a teacher.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

raverrn posted:

Working 12 hour shifts, alternating three and four day weeks. Have to agree it's really nice, and the overtime pay doesn't hurt either.

This was the best schedule I've ever worked.

M-F 9-5 is good, sure, but more days off is always better

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

There's a lot of "side hustle/gig" type jobs you can do to supplement your income but they can quickly become just another grind. I sometimes tutor math and writing on the side and often the only days they're available are days I'd have off from my day job so like I'm giving up an otherwise absolutely free weekend just to make a little bit extra on the side.

Ed: I have three day weekends because of my work and it's glorious but it doesn't pay the best but I get more time to spend not working which is a plus- but if it doesn't pay the best, I have to do a side gig that sort of negates the benefit I get from a non traditional work schedule.

frogge has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Dec 15, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I mean, it certainly is a dumb and bad advertisement for a number of reasons, but I really am fascinated with goon face blindness.

I suspect it has to do with watching a lot of anime and (most) real people don't have three foot tall blue pompadours and poo poo to tell them apart.

bigot

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.harney.com/products/soba-tea-roasted-buckwheat?variant=29491557254

$28 for a LB of eastern euro buckwheat, re labeled as Japanese Soba

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

https://www.harney.com/products/soba-tea-roasted-buckwheat?variant=29491557254

$28 for a LB of eastern euro buckwheat, re labeled as Japanese Soba

buckwheat tea is great and p. refreshing cold, too

its worth like.... $1/lb

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

I mean, it certainly is a dumb and bad advertisement for a number of reasons, but I really am fascinated with goon face blindness.

I suspect it has to do with watching a lot of anime and (most) real people don't have three foot tall blue pompadours and poo poo to tell them apart.

I'm a fellow mayonnaise american and still had to stare at that pic for a good minute to tell them apart

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

The Bloop posted:

They have anime level outfits to tell them apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Muscle Wizard posted:

thank you for your service, but i'd rather do back breaking labor than be a teacher.

Having also been a substitute teacher, you are right and I agree with you.