Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Guess this really isn't a watch question, but I'm starting to get pretty bad elbow pain from being on my phone for hours every day, and think I want to get a bluetooth earpiece. My question is are there any complications from having both the watch and an earpiece running side by side? I'd love to be able to leave my phone on my waist, see who's calling from my wrist, and take the call on my earpiece. Is this a doable setup? Any goon recommends on a good earpiece that can take quite a few hours of calls in a day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Guess this really isn't a watch question, but I'm starting to get pretty bad elbow pain from being on my phone for hours every day, and think I want to get a bluetooth earpiece. My question is are there any complications from having both the watch and an earpiece running side by side? I'd love to be able to leave my phone on my waist, see who's calling from my wrist, and take the call on my earpiece. Is this a doable setup? Any goon recommends on a good earpiece that can take quite a few hours of calls in a day?

Just get the air pods

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

Just get the air pods

This.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just be aware there's a lot of rumors going around that an AirPod refresh is coming in early 2019. Can't really live your life on a rumor but it may be useful to you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alfalfa posted:

Just get the air pods

Yep. Keep one in the ear, the other in the case in your pocket. When the one in your ear starts complaining about battery, swap them. Then the old one gets charged in the case while you continue with the fresh one.

Also, get a bag of generic mascara brushes (like 50 for less than $10). They're perfect for cleaning the AirPods and the case.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Are they actually decent for phone conversations? I spend a lot of time talking to my teammates in the field and things can be noisy, so making sure I output a good clear sound is pretty important.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but it definitely not what I was expecting to be told.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Are they actually decent for phone conversations? I spend a lot of time talking to my teammates in the field and things can be noisy, so making sure I output a good clear sound is pretty important.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but it definitely not what I was expecting to be told.

They are great for them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

If they end up not working out, you can always return them in the 14 day windows (may have a longer window if you aren't US).

My runner up would be the Plantronics Voyager Legend. But to me it's a big gap as I've found plantronics flake out from time to time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

They work really well and the sound quality for music is surprisingly decent for Bluetooth earbuds as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Talk about burying the lede. I didn't know they still made hip holsters for phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish I didn't find AirPods insanely uncomfortable. I can't use them for more than a half hour. Hopefully this rumored refresh is to give us a nice silicone tipped version. I'm not holding my breath for it, though. :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Talk about burying the lede. I didn't know they still made hip holsters for phones.

Pay attention to every boomer man in public. They all have them.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

The new ECG function is really cool. As someone who’s actually had atrial fibrillation that was completely asymptomatic, discovered during an unrelated visit with my PCP, having something on my wrist that is checking for afib throughout the day is a comfort. Obviously it’s not a replacement for a 12 lead ECG, but it seems to be good enough to detect broad irregularities that indicate dangerous arrhythmia. I think that’s going to help a lot of people.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

RoboCop 3 posted:

The new ECG function is really cool. As someone who’s actually had atrial fibrillation that was completely asymptomatic, discovered during an unrelated visit with my PCP, having something on my wrist that is checking for afib throughout the day is a comfort. Obviously it’s not a replacement for a 12 lead ECG, but it seems to be good enough to detect broad irregularities that indicate dangerous arrhythmia. I think that’s going to help a lot of people.
Does it actually look for such patterns on its own constantly, or only when you explicitly use the ECG app to take a trace? I thought it was the latter, given it seems to require the fingertip on the crown and all.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ford added a watch app. I can lock, unlock, and start my car with my watch. The future is now.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

bitprophet posted:

Does it actually look for such patterns on its own constantly, or only when you explicitly use the ECG app to take a trace? I thought it was the latter, given it seems to require the fingertip on the crown and all.

I went through the setup and beyond the put your finger on the crown thing, there is an option to set up automatic detection. I am not sure what that is doing differently but you have to put in your data separately, it has a bunch of language about how it checks and doesn't notify you unless it gets the same results multiple times and that it can't detect all Afib, contact a Dr if you get the notification but haven't been diagnosed etc.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why is the lock functionality during workouts associated with the water purge thing? It knows I’m not doing a swim workout so it is a mystery.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smackfu posted:

Why is the lock functionality during workouts associated with the water purge thing? It knows I’m not doing a swim workout so it is a mystery.

Sweat?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

smackfu posted:

The worse designed scenario is the one I came across:
  • Put watch in "water mode" from Control Center as I'm about to go swimming
  • Start swimming
  • Watch detects movement and says "Do you want to start a swim workout?"
  • Can't press "Yes" because it's in water mode

Come on, just put two and two together!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
But I turn it on all the time when I’m doing non-swimming things so I don’t annoy/distract the ever living hell out of people around me like when I’m doing yoga with people.

I know theater mode is suppose to be for that but I swear my watch still lights up with it on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Ford added a watch app. I can lock, unlock, and start my car with my watch. The future is now.

That is pretty awesome. Have you seen a delay at all?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I haven't tried using it to unlock next to my car yet (my car unlocks automatically if I have my fob and touch the handle). But I have used it to start my car as I'm leaving my desk at work. It's pretty quick, about 15 seconds from pressing to get the confirm that the car has started. The same time the iPhone app takes.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Boris Galerkin posted:

But I turn it on all the time when I’m doing non-swimming things so I don’t annoy/distract the ever living hell out of people around me like when I’m doing yoga with people.

I know theater mode is suppose to be for that but I swear my watch still lights up with it on.

Is the crown aligned towards your wrist? If yes some exercises will make the back of your hand touch the crown and voila, screen on despite theater mode. Try turning it around so the crown points towards your elbow (don’t forget to change it in settings, too so the screen shows up correctly).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Froist posted:

The worse designed scenario is the one I came across:
  • Put watch in "water mode" from Control Center as I'm about to go swimming
  • Start swimming
  • Watch detects movement and says "Do you want to start a swim workout?"
  • Can't press "Yes" because it's in water mode

Come on, just put two and two together!
How about just starting a swim workout when you’re about to go swimming? (It locks the watch as part of doing swim workouts)

bort
Mar 13, 2003

You can talk to Siri in water mode. Have her start the workout.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I should have said, the problem I have with lock invoking the water mode is that when you unlock it then it plays that stupid noise and stops my music.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smackfu posted:

I should have said, the problem I have with lock invoking the water mode is that when you unlock it then it plays that stupid noise and stops my music.
Probably won’t help if it doesn’t auto resume the music but you can stop the beeping by facepalming the watch.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
Mysterious huge scratch in my series 4, what’s this gonna cost me?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

G5ANDY posted:

At minimum, an $80 accident deductible if you bought AppleCare. Probably best to call it a character mark and ignore it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

At minimum, an $80 accident deductible if you bought AppleCare. Probably best to call it a character mark and ignore it.

Yeah. If you haven’t worn a watch in a while and started wearing one with the Apple Watch then wear this scratched one for a while to get used to it before you have it fixed. You only get two replacements if I remember with AppleCare so make them count.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

G5ANDY posted:

You have Apple Care? Just take it in. Accidental damage is covered for $69 (twice during the term of the coverage)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

G5ANDY posted:

Stainless steel or aluminum?

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

You have Apple Care? Just take it in. Accidental damage is covered for $69 (twice during the term of the coverage)

No. :,-( and it’s aluminium.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

G5ANDY posted:

No. :,-( and it’s aluminium.

I don't really care how people spend their money, but to me, AppleCare is a must buy unless you're buying the item with a credit card that has some sort of insurance or extended warranty on purchases. Even then, AppleCare is a lot easier to actually use when it comes time to get a repair or replacement.

I also highly recommend the stainless steel versions. It does suck that there's no cheaper wifi only SS option, but the better case + screen is worth the upgrade.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I ate sidewalk at a running pace and scratched the hell out of my S0 back in the day.

You get used to it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't really care how people spend their money, but to me, AppleCare is a must buy unless you're buying the item with a credit card that has some sort of insurance or extended warranty on purchases. Even then, AppleCare is a lot easier to actually use when it comes time to get a repair or replacement.

I also highly recommend the stainless steel versions. It does suck that there's no cheaper wifi only SS option, but the better case + screen is worth the upgrade.
Is the screen ACTUALLY sapphire, as I’ve heard Apple uses a mix of glass and sapphire that can legally be called sapphire but doesn’t provide the same protection. I mean the case is slick as hell, especially the gold one, but that wasn’t enough to justify the cost.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Is the screen ACTUALLY sapphire, as I’ve heard Apple uses a mix of glass and sapphire that can legally be called sapphire but doesn’t provide the same protection. I mean the case is slick as hell, especially the gold one, but that wasn’t enough to justify the cost.

It's the synthetic sapphire they use on the camera lenses and stuff. They were going to (and it could happen in the future) use it for the phone screens too, but that's a long story for another time.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Pants Donkey posted:

From some of the scratch test videos I’ve seen, apple‘s sapphire glass on the watch is definitely softer than the sapphire lenses on other sapphire watches.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Has anyone had trouble clicking links in emails?

I got a Series 4 for Christmas and it’s running watchOS 5.1.2. I want to get AppleCare for it so I went to the Apple support website and had it send an email to me with a link to some diagnostics test to verify that the watch was eligible for AppleCare. However, nothing happens when click on the “iOS Diagnostics” button in the email. It just highlights the text. I can click on links in iMessage though.

edit - In case anyone else has this issue it turns out you need to click the link on your iPhone and then it'll send a command to the Apple Watch to run the diagnostics.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Guess this really isn't a watch question, but I'm starting to get pretty bad elbow pain from being on my phone for hours every day, and think I want to get a bluetooth earpiece. My question is are there any complications from having both the watch and an earpiece running side by side.

Yes. If you get a calendar alert and a phone call simultaneously at 11:28 am, your left testicle will explode.