Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My only complaint is that he drew feet on the 90's cover.

And Ghost Rider probably shoulda been there.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

80’s cover should have tan Wolverine and gray Hulk. Ghost Rider should be in 90’s and 2010’s.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
As someone supercritical about Nicky spenc, ASM is fine for now. I'm fully prepared for it to swandive into a fuckhole but it's fine for now.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Open Marriage Night posted:

80’s cover should have tan Wolverine and gray Hulk. Ghost Rider should be in 90’s and 2010’s.

I remember being happy when Wolvie got back in the blue & yellows back in the day but these days I find myself missing the hell out the tan suit. That and his X-Force greys were deffo his best.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1073627310836908037?s=19

That's genuinely exciting, I can't wait to see what he'll do with Kamala.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Spencer's ASM is a nice change of pace from the breakneck speed Slott was pumping ideas into the character, so as long as they don't let him do an event I imagine the book can maintain a 7-8/10 in quality.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

rantmo posted:

I thought that'd happen with Wilson on Wonder Woman since it's double shipping.

Now if only her WW was as good :/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 14, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

rantmo posted:

I love Wilson's Ms. Marvel, but after 50+ issues it can't hurt to shake things up with a new writer. Saladin Ahmed has been doing a great job on Exiles so I can see this being another knock out of the back. I'm excited, personally.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Sad to hear Wilson's run is coming to an end. Ms Marvel always seemed like one of those characters who wasn't near as good written by anyone else. But to be fair I was worried about Wolverine and Gabby changing hands and that turned out really well. Has Ahmed written anything particularly recommend-worthy? I really hated what I read of Exiles and dropped it after about 4 or 5 issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I thought Mark Waid did okay with her in ANAD Avengers, of course he then completely dropped the ball with Champions, so who the gently caress knows.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Diet Poison posted:

Sad to hear Wilson's run is coming to an end. Ms Marvel always seemed like one of those characters who wasn't near as good written by anyone else. But to be fair I was worried about Wolverine and Gabby changing hands and that turned out really well. Has Ahmed written anything particularly recommend-worthy? I really hated what I read of Exiles and dropped it after about 4 or 5 issues.

Black Bolt

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Diet Poison posted:

I like his Miles book a hell of a lot more than I liked his Exiles.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

I liked Abbot a whole lot, and am enjoying Exiles, but if you're not then you're not. His Quicksilver series was okay, too.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Exiles didn't click with me either but Black Bolt was excellent and his first issue of Miles Morales was very promising. I don't read a lot of fantasy fiction so my bar might be set too high or too low but I thought his novel Throne of the Crescent Moon was really interesting too, with the same deft balance between world-building and character work that characterized his run on Black Bolt.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Exiles had a tough start but now that it's found its footing is a lot of fun. His first Miles issue is really loving good and he's just taken to the medium so well. Black Bolt is required reading as far as I'm concerned.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah my only quibble with Miles Morales is that the art is a little plain and the teenagers all just look like gamey adults. After Sarah Pichelli I got accustomed to a levelof authentic-looking streetwear and more varied bodies so this felt like a big step backwards. But the writing was definitely on point.

Black Bolt however was absolutely too good for this world. I think it was Ahmed's best writing and it was loving gorgeous.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1073632776102891520?s=19

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't wait for Doreen to have a new Skrull friend.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/AudreyMok/status/1073590905444098048?s=19

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

I can't wait for Doreen to have a new Skrull friend.

Is it wrong that I kind of want her to turn into a romantic interest for Brain Drain?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Is it wrong that I kind of want her to turn into a romantic interest for Brain Drain?

Why would that be wrong? That sounds all kinds of good.

I hope this doens't have a lovely numbering system like the last one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I hope this doens't have a lovely numbering system like the last one.

That would require numbering it at all.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, having just watched Into The Spider-Verse (it owns, BTW, go watch it), I decided the time was ripe to see how the webslingers are doing in the books. I heard that ASM was good now, even if Nick Spencer's writing it now, so I decided to grab the first few issues on comixology. It feels weirdly and pleasantly familiar, considering I actually got into the comics at the tail end of the JMS era. Having Peter & MJ together again is nice. The fact it leads with a flashback to Sensational Spider-Man annual is a nice touch.

Also, it almost immediately shoving Slott's previously set-up status quo in the garbage was somewhat amusing.

Is it me or...might they actually be considering undoing OMD? That Sensational Annual was basically a celebration of the marriage before OMD, they get Peter & MJ back together, hell, there was even a very prominent shot of MJ's ringless hand with Peter's narration saying there was something missing...

Also (Maybe slight Into The Spider-Verse spoilers) the 'real' Peter (for that matter, Miles' Peter) was married to MJ, so there's even some of that there brand synergy going...

I mean, I guess it's still unlikely since I gather Quesada's still quite highly placed, but I figured maybe with the changing of the EiC, it might be happening?

Is ASM going to get dragged into Spider-Geddon? Because I think I might skip those issues...I only got Spider-Girls because I like Spider-Girl classic and RYV. And I'm super bummed that might be the last time I see either until Spider-Pocalypse or whatever Spider-Verse 3 is going to be.

And Miles' new book also looks good. Just wish Ganke did a bit more.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is ASM going to get dragged into Spider-Geddon? Because I think I might skip those issues...I only got Spider-Girls because I like Spider-Girl classic and RYV. And I'm super bummed that might be the last time I see either until Spider-Pocalypse or whatever Spider-Verse 3 is going to be.

Spectacular is the Pete focused series with the Spider-Geddon tie-ins, and it's been not half bad, I really dug this week's issue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

IUG posted:

That would require numbering it at all.

Alpha! Marvel Rising : Ms marvel! Marvel Rising Squirrel Girl! Marvel Rising 3! Marvel Rising Omega!

How could anyone follow that bullshit without being a turbo nerd like me?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, having just watched Into The Spider-Verse (it owns, BTW, go watch it), I decided the time was ripe to see how the webslingers are doing in the books. I heard that ASM was good now, even if Nick Spencer's writing it now, so I decided to grab the first few issues on comixology. It feels weirdly and pleasantly familiar, considering I actually got into the comics at the tail end of the JMS era. Having Peter & MJ together again is nice. The fact it leads with a flashback to Sensational Spider-Man annual is a nice touch.

Also, it almost immediately shoving Slott's previously set-up status quo in the garbage was somewhat amusing.

Is it me or...might they actually be considering undoing OMD? That Sensational Annual was basically a celebration of the marriage before OMD, they get Peter & MJ back together, hell, there was even a very prominent shot of MJ's ringless hand with Peter's narration saying there was something missing...

Also (Maybe slight Into The Spider-Verse spoilers) the 'real' Peter (for that matter, Miles' Peter) was married to MJ, so there's even some of that there brand synergy going...

I mean, I guess it's still unlikely since I gather Quesada's still quite highly placed, but I figured maybe with the changing of the EiC, it might be happening?

I'm actually going to point something out. According to enter the spider verse, if you actually look at the monitor, the Peter that is getting pulled into Miles' world is the Peter of Earth-616. Actually, all the numbers are comic accurate, including Earth 67 if you stayed for the after credit scene.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

twistedmentat posted:

Alpha! Marvel Rising : Ms marvel! Marvel Rising Squirrel Girl! Marvel Rising 3! Marvel Rising Omega!

And then they released the trade soon after and made all that bullshit somewhat pointless.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

Unless they all released on the same week I’m not sure how that makes it more difficult? You just read them in the order they come out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Unless they all released on the same week I’m not sure how that makes it more difficult? You just read them in the order they come out.

Not everyone buys comics every week. When I bought floppies I'd go once a month because I was on a budget and only had a couple things on my pull list, so I'd wait until I had a decent stack and then browse the racks.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Quesada isn't the one keeping Spider-Man unmarried. Writers and editors on Spider-Man have complained about the marriage for years ever since it happened because they felt it limited storytelling opportunities. Roger Stern, one of the greatest Spider-Man writers of all time, refused to come back to write for the book until they finally got rid of it, because he thought MJ was a bad fit for Peter but the marriage meant he had no options to make his own creative choices. They attempted to undo the marriage multiple times before OMD. The entire Clone Saga was based around trying to get rid of the marriage. The whole reason Gwen Stacy was killed off was because the relationship seemed to be leading inevitably to marriage and Gerry Conway, again, thought that Spider-Man shouldn't be married. Wanting a single Spider-Man is not a fringe or unpopular opinion among professionals in the industry who actually have to do the job of coming up with the stories. Now that they've finally managed to rip off the Band-Aid and the world didn't end, it's very unlikely to ever be coming back.

There was never any rule against Peter and Mary Jane being in a relationship. The whole idea was to get rid of an ill-conceived editorial stunt to generate publicity which locked down the Peter/MJ relationship as being the permanent new status quo, with no good way out if a writer ever wanted to shake things up with a new love interest. With the way things are now, any writers who like Mary Jane as a love interest can make her Peter's love interest, but any writers who feel differently down the line don't have to be bound by it. For a long-running serial character like Spider-Man, this is the best arrangement. The way it was accomplished was awful, but the decision to undo the marriage was a sound one. Spider-Man is a young guy whose life is unstable and full of drama and bad luck and sudden reversals. He doesn't work long-term as anything else, because that's the whole reason he's so popular and why he stands out from other superheroes.

The people who've been reading Spider-Man for years and want him to grow up along with them now that they're adults need to realize that superhero comics are still supposed to be for kids. One of the reasons kids liked Spider-Man so much, back when kids rather than full-grown adults were the ones who primarily read superhero comics, was because they could relate to Peter's dating troubles and complicated love life. It was an endless source of entertainment and drama which was one of the central planks of the character's status as a relatable everyman whose problems were the same as the young people reading the book. But when he was married to MJ, the only three modes for storylines relating to his love life were A) Mary Jane is in danger, B) Mary Jane and Peter are blissfully happy together, or C) Mary Jane and Peter's marriage is strained because he's Spider-Man. A and B got to be pretty drat boring, and I don't know who the heck would want to constantly read about Spider-Man having marital problems, I mean that poo poo's just depressing. Whereas if you keep Peter single and unlucky in love then the well pretty much never runs dry. The possibilities for different sorts of women to enter and leave his life and interact with him and each other in various ways and drive him crazy are virtually endless. And that's a situation a teenage reader can directly relate to.

There's no point to a married Spider-Man dealing with decidedly adult problems. The only people who want to read about that Spider-Man are the people who shouldn't be the primary consumers of superhero comics but unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, now are. Either marry Peter off to MJ, retire the character, and make Miles the new young Spider-Man forever, or keep Peter single. Those are the only two valid options. If you ever get tired of reading about Spider-Man as Spider-Man works best, either readjust your mindset so you can continue to appreciate a form of entertainment which is designed to appeal to a perpetually replenishing adolescent demographic, or stop reading serialized superhero comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

More time passed between Spider-Man getting married and them undoing it and Superman getting married and the New 52 relaunch that undid the marriage.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Or you could have Peter marry MJ and if you want to have a swingin' and single Spider-Man, there's Miles.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Renew Your Vows says otherwise.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Renew Your Vows was a good idea but just not a very good book. Also it's harder to sell a singular alt-universe book without some kind of unique character hook. Spider-Gwen is a good hook. Spiderling not so much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A had a big laugh at constantly replenishing youth market.

Like do you know anything about comics because they haven’t been for kids since the 90s.

Also modern Spider-Man does only deal with adult problems, they can’t avoid that unless they deage him. I think the issue is you can’t move on from the Spider-Man you remember as a kid,

He’s long gone and ain’t ever coming back.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 17, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cnut the Great posted:

The people who've been reading Spider-Man for years and want him to grow up along with them now that they're adults need to realize that superhero comics are still supposed to be for kids. One of the reasons kids liked Spider-Man so much, back when kids rather than full-grown adults were the ones who primarily read superhero comics, was because they could relate to Peter's dating troubles and complicated love life. It was an endless source of entertainment and drama which was one of the central planks of the character's status as a relatable everyman whose problems were the same as the young people reading the book. But when he was married to MJ, the only three modes for storylines relating to his love life were A) Mary Jane is in danger, B) Mary Jane and Peter are blissfully happy together, or C) Mary Jane and Peter's marriage is strained because he's Spider-Man. A and B got to be pretty drat boring, and I don't know who the heck would want to constantly read about Spider-Man having marital problems, I mean that poo poo's just depressing. Whereas if you keep Peter single and unlucky in love then the well pretty much never runs dry. The possibilities for different sorts of women to enter and leave his life and interact with him and each other in various ways and drive him crazy are virtually endless. And that's a situation a teenage reader can directly relate to.

There's no point to a married Spider-Man dealing with decidedly adult problems. The only people who want to read about that Spider-Man are the people who shouldn't be the primary consumers of superhero comics but unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, now are. Either marry Peter off to MJ, retire the character, and make Miles the new young Spider-Man forever, or keep Peter single. Those are the only two valid options. If you ever get tired of reading about Spider-Man as Spider-Man works best, either readjust your mindset so you can continue to appreciate a form of entertainment which is designed to appeal to a perpetually replenishing adolescent demographic, or stop reading serialized superhero comics.

You know I'd honestly agree, if it weren't for the fact that Peter's been a grown rear end man longer in his publication history than he's been a kid. And frankly there's been plenty of stories since OMD with Peter's love life that boiled down to your reasons A) [Girlfriend] is in danger and C) [Girlfriend] and Peter's relationship is strained because he's Spider-Man, only instead of exploring how a relationship with an ounce of trust with a superhero would work, we get another rehash of "But I can't tell her my secret! :spidey:" as though that's not tired as poo poo.

And you know, like you pointed out, we've got a young Spider-Man for all of young readers' angst needs.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 17, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like that the Peter in Into the Spider-verse follows the idea of Spider-man being single and he feels like a loser because he wants to have a meaningful relationship. It's okay for Spider-man to grow up and be married; he's still Spider-man no matter what.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the other problem is 99% of the time when the book looked at Peter and MJ's marriage it wasn't like...good.

Honestly that's one of the things JMS managed to nail, but before him it was a cavalcade of bad storylines where MJ would get her own subplot for a few months and it would invariably be the most boring poo poo imaginable.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Marvel: Peter is the every man.

Also Marvel: Peter can never get married or have kids and must always have 1-2 supermodel girlfriends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

You know I'd honestly agree, if it weren't for the fact that Peter's been a grown rear end man longer in his publication history than he's been a kid.

And you know, like you pointed out, we've got a young Spider-Man for all of young readers' angst needs.

Yeah, he gets through high school in something close to real time when Ditko was doing art.

Blockhouse posted:

the other problem is 99% of the time when the book looked at Peter and MJ's marriage it wasn't like...good.

Honestly that's one of the things JMS managed to nail, but before him it was a cavalcade of bad storylines where MJ would get her own subplot for a few months and it would invariably be the most boring poo poo imaginable.
That's what made it hurt even more, they finally have someone good at writing the marriage and he's the one they make undo it.